Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

benwards posted:

What are flatsides?

I had an 05 sv650 for a year, but had to sell it on account of circumstances. Haven't decided which I prefer aesthetically, but if that's really the only difference, I may opt for the cheaper of the two. I live in CA, so it never really gets cold enough for FI to be mandatory. :D

A certain type of carburetor with a flat slide, pretty uncommon these days. Basically they're the best way to make power on an SV650. They add an absolutely phenominal induction noise because you run them without an airbox, either with velocity stacks/unfiltered or with a K&N pod filter setup on them. It makes the bike significantly more powerful all across the rev range, no sacrifice of midrange for top end power. With a decent exhaust, the gen 2 cam swap, and flatslides you can see a ~15HP increase over stock, around 20%. It makes the bike a monster. One day I'll buy another one just to have it as a streetbike, they're one of my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
My '03 SV came with the rear tail plastics slightly cracked, on the right side. How much would those usually go for, used and in good condition? Would I be able to get just the right side or do i have to get the whole part?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I would go on SVRider and see if there's anyone parting out a bike.

The parts fiche shows the two sides as separate parts, although BikeBandit is not giving me a good idea of which part exactly you'd want.

http://www.bikebandit.com/showschematic/m6706sch500091

Bear in mind that 03 models can only use 03 parts unless you completely swap out the subframe.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I did the MSF experienced course on my SV today. I've never dragged a peg on the street before, well I didn't do that but I did end up dragging my boot while cornering a few times. Pretty awesome how far you can lean this thing, I can't wait to do a track day.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Endless Mike posted:

I would go on SVRider and see if there's anyone parting out a bike.

The parts fiche shows the two sides as separate parts, although BikeBandit is not giving me a good idea of which part exactly you'd want.

http://www.bikebandit.com/showschematic/m6706sch500091

Bear in mind that 03 models can only use 03 parts unless you completely swap out the subframe.

Thanks! Looks like the part I'm seeking is $125, not too terrible.. especially compared to the price of a new gas tank (mine being a bit dented).

JohnCrichton
Mar 6, 2007
Welcome to the Federation Starship SS Buttcrack.

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

I did the MSF experienced course on my SV today. I've never dragged a peg on the street before, well I didn't do that but I did end up dragging my boot while cornering a few times. Pretty awesome how far you can lean this thing, I can't wait to do a track day.

Welcome to the boot-dragging club buddy! :hfive:

Pretty soon, you'll need to replace the rubber with a set of Michelin Power Pures.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

benwards posted:

What are flatsides?

I had an 05 sv650 for a year, but had to sell it on account of circumstances. Haven't decided which I prefer aesthetically, but if that's really the only difference, I may opt for the cheaper of the two. I live in CA, so it never really gets cold enough for FI to be mandatory. :D

edit: holy poo poo, didn't notice the next page.
either way, this dude
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=48904

made 77hp with flatslides and cam swap. I should have bought a SV650... hrm, I can still buy one.......

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 1, 2010

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Is there an upgrade or fix that can be done to these thing's charging systems easily? I'm having some battery problems.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Weinertron posted:

Is there an upgrade or fix that can be done to these thing's charging systems easily? I'm having some battery problems.

read these, get a multimeter and test your system
http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/library/diagnosis/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf
http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/library/diagnosis/pdf/diode-testing-guide.pdf
If its your r/r replace it with one of these, they're way better than oem and better than the electrosport upgrade too, unless electrosport are doing mosfet r/rs now
http://www.roadstercycle.com/Vmax%20charging%20system%20repair.htm

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Currently swapping an 07 600 front end into my 03 650N. How far in should I slide the forks? Is there a specific number?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Currently swapping an 07 600 front end into my 03 650N. How far in should I slide the forks? Is there a specific number?

Put them in flush with the triples, the GSX-R forks are already shorter than the stock ones.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Almost done! Just need to mount the gauges and headlight, get new shift lever and brake pedal, and mount the radiator because one of the mounts snapped off when I crashed it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Okay hey it's time to get my sv650s looking good again!

I changed the oil yesterday. Need to do that more often.

Anyway, I have a leaky fork seal that has existed on the bike ever since I bought it 2 years ago.

What's a good price to have a shop do it for me? OR should I just buy some replacement front forks you whackos are talking about?

Help me out here with some links and prices goons.

ALSO IM GONNA SAW OUT THAT STUPID FENDER

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

After a few months I've gotten my coworker to take MSF and he has purchased this SV: http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=127615

It's a 2000 with a pretty pristine red paintjob. Everything works on it and it has a Vance and Hines slip-on with the appropriate jetting. As you can see the PO also put Racetech springs in the forks but left the rear shock alone. My coworker autocrosses and I'm sure will pick up riding very quickly. Any basic mods or things of note for this year SV? I was thinking stainless steel brake lines.

Edit: This brings the total number of people I've convinced to get licensed and ride to...four. Saving the world one motorcycle at a time.

Edit2: And after extensively riding said SV, I can safely say that while SV's are really cool, I'm glad I have my F2. With the mods I've done to it like stainless steel lines, a Fox rear shock, F3 front end, it feels a hell of a lot better, subjectively, to me. Much more stable, surprisingly, in a lean. Could be tires but I'm running lovely Pilot Roads and SV has nicer Diablo Stradas.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 17, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The stock SV suspension is poo poo, no getting over that. A skilled rider can still make it work, but it's just not very good. Get a decent shock, some upgrades to the front end, and it's a lot better.

Also, the bike you're accustomed to will generally feel a bit more comfortable as well...each bike is going to feel different and a lighter bike may feel a little flighty until you adjust to it, especially if it has bars on it over clipons.

All that aside, though, this is why we recommend cheap starter bikes. You never know what you're going to like until you try it...i hated twins for the first 60k or so of my riding career.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Well every time I scare myself trying to lean my '06 N over sideways at 20mph I battle the fears by doing some kind of maintenance task that I convince myself will make the leanies easier.

This time I decided to attack the thunky throttle on my bike by adjusting the throttle cables and the TPS per http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=55459&page=1

The bike only has 2000 miles so I figured that the nasty sloppy throttle and engine chunkiness at low RPMs were just part of the package. Not true! Adjusting the throttle open and return cables took all of 5 minutes and got the grip slop from about 10mm down to 2-3mm.

Next I did the TPS adjustment, which was made difficult by necessity of a torx 'security' bit set. After finding one and following that SV Rider forum post (I used a paperclip to get into 'dealer mode') I manage to get the little line movement to occur at 1900RPM instead of the 3500rpm it had been occuring at. Allegedly the ideal setting is 1450 but the tiny movements and tight working space made me feel that 1900 would be close enough, so I put everything back together. All in all this was a 35 minute job if you've got the required tools on hand.

Results? Holy poo poo yes. The bike isn't just smoother at low RPMs when you make throttle inputs, it's all around snappier and more responsive and compliant. It even SOUNDS like it's running better both during acceleration and when cruising at low RPM. For what was a TPS adjustment of less than 1mm the difference is noticeable enough that if someone had told me that I had some major faulty throttle body or fuel injector which they replaced I would believe them.

If you've got a FI'd SV that does the low speed herky jerky you need to check into this immediately.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

This post is just my pure excitement from finally riding an SV650. My first season as a rider, and only have been on my 83 Honda Shadow. After reading this thread/forum, I've come to the conclusion, that an SV650 will be my next bike no matter what.

The only Suzuki dealer around me was a county over, so my neighbor(the only person I know with a bike) took a small road trip out to it. They have exactly 1 SV650, and they let me take it for a spin. Oh god, how I hate my Honda now.

It's a 2003, 10k miles for 3300 bucks, and no crashes. It took every bit of will power to just say, Hey lets finance it! I'm still recovering financial wise from buying a new car and my Honda bike a couple months ago. It'd be highly irresponsible of me to buy this at this time.

Next spring it will be mine (well I'm sure that one will be gone). Riding my Honda just feels so empty now, how do I cope? :)

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Binge posted:

It'd be highly irresponsible of me to buy this at this time.

The gods of Cycle Asylum are frowning at you.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Binge posted:

It's a 2003, 10k miles for 3300 bucks, and no crashes. It took every bit of will power to just say, Hey lets finance it! I'm still recovering financial wise from buying a new car and my Honda bike a couple months ago. It'd be highly irresponsible of me to buy this at this time.

Riding my Honda just feels so empty now, how do I cope? :)

Sell the car, sell the Honda, and then get the SV, duh.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Raven457 posted:

Sell the car, sell the Honda, and then get the SV, duh.

I sold my 2005 STi to pick up an SV and a beater car, couldn't be happier :)

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
god damnit somebody tell me whether to get my forks done or get new suspensions.sd.fas.df.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Captain Apollo posted:

god damnit somebody tell me whether to get my forks done or get new suspensions.sd.fas.df.

Get a real suspension. It's what I'm planning instead of doing my leaky fork seal.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
link to a real suspension

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

https://www.ebay.com search gixxah forks yo!

(Check it: http://www.gregoryli.com/2007/06/gsx-r-front-end-swap-parts.html)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Binge posted:

It's a 2003, 10k miles for 3300 bucks, and no crashes.
It would be highly irresponsible because that's pretty overpriced. You could get a much newer one for not a whole lot more without too much effort, unless you're in one of those areas with no bike market at all. In which case, fly and ride.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Endless Mike posted:

It would be highly irresponsible because that's pretty overpriced. You could get a much newer one for not a whole lot more without too much effort, unless you're in one of those areas with no bike market at all. In which case, fly and ride.

Seriously, I picked up a 12k mile 2006 SV650N in immaculate yellow with new pr2ct tires for $2300. That was a rare steal though.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Seriously, I picked up a 12k mile 2006 SV650N in immaculate yellow with new pr2ct tires for $2300. That was a rare steal though.

2007 SF ABS with 2k miles + lots of goodies for $3900 with a warranty until 2013 :\

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Captain Apollo posted:

i'd recommend putting in intiminators over a full front end swap, they are an amazing upgrade to the stock front shocks., then get a gsxr shock for the rear and get it rebuilt for the sv., probably do all that for less than the cost of a buying and fitting a new front end.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

echomadman posted:

i'd recommend putting in intiminators over a full front end swap, they are an amazing upgrade to the stock front shocks., then get a gsxr shock for the rear and get it rebuilt for the sv., probably do all that for less than the cost of a buying and fitting a new front end.

This is true if you don't sell the stock front end.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I understand there was a weakness in the 2003 SV650's engine crankshaft which caused it to possibly fail if it was ever modified to make more power or ridden excessively hard, was there ever any recall for this? Did they fix the issue in the 2004+ models?

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

This time I decided to attack the thunky throttle on my bike by adjusting the throttle cables and the TPS per http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=55459&page=1
If you've got a FI'd SV that does the low speed herky jerky you need to check into this immediately.
I just finished this, and it fixed the hell out of my Gladius's low-speed stumble problem. You are my hero.

Now to go learn some tool and die work so I can replace the forks with some sweet gixxah ones.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

infraboy posted:

I understand there was a weakness in the 2003 SV650's engine crankshaft which caused it to possibly fail if it was ever modified to make more power or ridden excessively hard, was there ever any recall for this? Did they fix the issue in the 2004+ models?

It's just a problem with the gen 2 engines period. It's not a problem unless you're looking at getting over 80rwhp, so very heavily modded with extensive engine work. If you're under 80hp you can ride the hell out of the thing for as long as most people keep bikes with no problems (100k+).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

infraboy posted:

Have you seen the thread about this over at WERA?
http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=260560

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have a list of torque values for the second gens? As far as I can tell the owner's manual doesn't have anything and I can't find definitive answers at SVRider.

edit. Nevermind, found the repair manual in PDF - http://www.scribd.com/doc/7530846/Suzuki-SV650K3-Workshop-Manual-Parts-Catalog

kylej fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 20, 2010

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat
Considering a '07 SV650s. I'm just over 200lb, is the stock suspension going to be an issue?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NoDoorway posted:

Considering a '07 SV650s. I'm just over 200lb, is the stock suspension going to be an issue?

Yes. But it's pretty easily remedied. You could just ride it with the stock stuff, do a spring swap, stiffer oil, there are plenty of options. I'd budget some money for it if you plan on riding aggressively.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I'm picking up a 2001 SV650s tomorrow. It'll be my first bike, and as cheap insurance I'm looking for good frame and swingarm sliders. Some users at forums.sv650.org suggested the Moto Sliders frame and swingarm sliders. Are there better options out there?

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Loucks posted:

Some users at forums.sv650.org suggested the Moto Sliders frame and swingarm sliders. Are there better options out there?

I used some and think they are great, easy to install and well made. Seem to hold up on a crash from pics I have seen. sv rider tested and approved.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Should I get the Clymer manual for my SV650s, or is there a superior resource for repair/maintenance information?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Any recommendations for a decent sporty/sport touring tyre? I want to do a couple track days but most of my time is spent riding around town or on freeways to get out to good riding roads.
cycle gear having some deals on sportmax q2s, also been recommended to look at BT016. I'll be coming from the oem D220s so i figure anything would be an improvement right now..

• Locked thread