Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

DMPunk posted:

Gimmick PPV's are dumb, but having boring/meaningless PPV's like Unforgiven, No Mercy, Fully Loaded, etc is just as bad.

BTW, what was the concept for Over the Limit anyway?

It was when all the people with elevated liver enzymes competed in a cage match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

I'm excited for the funny-in-the-prank Sadder Match.

Went for the hail mary on that one didn't you?

Golden Bee posted:

But when did they start adding -"Match" as the suffix to event name matches? "He's qualified for the Royal Rumble MATCH" or the "Elimination Chamber MATCH." I hear it all the time now.

Royal Rumble and Elimination Chamber don't really need it - but it'd sound pretty weird to hear "Who will win the shot at the WWE Championship tonight in the Money In The Bank Ladder?"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

DMPunk posted:

Gimmick PPV's are dumb, but having boring/meaningless PPV's like Unforgiven, No Mercy, Fully Loaded, etc is just as bad.

BTW, what was the concept for Over the Limit anyway?

Nah, having a PPV name built around a match type is worse. It degrades a match like Hell in a Cell from the climax of a blood feud to merely an annual event. It's no longer two guys who are going to kill each other in the most brutal way they can because they hate each other so much but rather two guys who are going to fight in the Hell in a Cell because it's Hell in a Cell time, who cares if the situation warrants it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If the booking was firing on all cylinders you could have gimmick PPVs and make sure everything builds to the right PPV. In WCW you would have a big stable vs stable feud end at Wrestlewar or Fall Brawl (depending which they were using for War Games) in WWE, all roads lead to Wrestlemania. In theory you should be able to have blood feuds ready to end at Hell in a Cell. You should have crazy spotfest stuff read for TLC. But that requires a lot of forward planning.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
What was the last long running mid-card angle/feud that was successful?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Santino, the Best Champion.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

savinhill posted:

The first thing that pops into my head is Rey/Jericho but that was two main eventers elevating a midcard title. As for actual midcarders, uh...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Santino, the Best Champion.
Santino, Champion of planet Earth.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Endorph posted:

Santino, the Greatest Intercontinental Champion of All the Times

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Karmine posted:

That was the last time Santino consistently ruled.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

savinhill posted:

MattVP?

Miz vs Morrison?

Anything involving Jericho?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Matt/MVP for sure. That angle went on for an entire year and was great the whole time, elevating both men. Of course, WWE got cold feet and just kept them in the midcard after it was over, giving Matt Hardy a half hearted ECW title run.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I saw Bushwhacker Luke at an indy show recently, and out of curiosity, I watched a bunch of old Bushwhacker stuff on daily motion.

Holy gently caress they were over in the early 90s. There were arenas with 20, 000 people all miming the Bushwhacker Walk. Now, the WWF was pretty family friendly and PG level back then, so given that that's what they're going for now, why don't they go for the same sort of light hearted atmosphere they had in the early 90s?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
If Rey vs. SES was a midcard feud, it was definitely successful.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Why is Rey in a gimp mask

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

So I was reading a detailed writeup on another site for MITB for better results and the guy doing the writeup mentioned that WWE has started making deals with cable companies (Cox cable I guess so far) to make PPV's non-recordable on DVR devices and whatnot with the reasoning being protecting DVD sales. Probably not a good thing. Never had DVR - is it common for things to be non-recordable?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

So I was reading a detailed writeup on another site for MITB for better results and the guy doing the writeup mentioned that WWE has started making deals with cable companies (Cox cable I guess so far) to make PPV's non-recordable on DVR devices and whatnot with the reasoning being protecting DVD sales. Probably not a good thing. Never had DVR - is it common for things to be non-recordable?

I've always been able to DVR live UFC PPVs, but if it is a tape delayed show it counts as OnDemand or whatever and I can't record that.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I have Cox and I can record it. For some reason, I have to change the channel off of it then back to it, but I have no problem recording it once I do that. It will even say that I HAVE to record it if I want to rewind or pause.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Must have been a false report then - then again wrestling sites toss those out pretty frequently. Just thought it was weird that WWE was able to tell us what we can record and what we cant being that the person recording the PPV is a paying customer giving much more than the price of a DVD.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Must have been a false report then - then again wrestling sites toss those out pretty frequently. Just thought it was weird that WWE was able to tell us what we can record and what we cant being that the person recording the PPV is a paying customer giving much more than the price of a DVD.

With Direct TV, I can record any PPV but after 24 hours, if I try to watch it then it goes as On Demand and wants to charge me to watch it. It has been like that for the last year but my first year of Direct TV was not that at all.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Honestly the first time it happened to me, which was WrestleMania this year, I thought I wasn't able to record anymore. For some reason I decided to try to change the channel and go back, and all of the sudden it worked, and I've just kind of known to do that since then. I can see how someone would just kind of assume that was the reason, because the thought crossed my mind at first, too.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
How is an indy fed defined? Is TNA an indy?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

DannoMack posted:

I would say you are an independent fed until you have a national TV deal.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DannoMack posted:

My understanding is it's a fed without a national TV deal. Though I've also heard ROH referred to as an indy, possibly because the show is on a channel almost no one gets.

LONE :argh:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
RoH is indy because it's 90% double stomps and lungblowers.

Also, indy fed is defined as "Any fed Delirious wrestles for".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Burrito posted:

Also, indy fed is defined as "Any fed Delirious wrestles for".
What happens if WWE hires Delirious?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DannoMack posted:

If your roster is full of non contracted, independent wrestlers you are an indy. ROH has some of the roster under contract, but it is still an indy.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

If your roster is full of non contracted, independent wrestlers you are an indy. ROH has some of the roster under contract, but it is still an indy.

so that weird wsx 2 fed is technically not an indy

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

so that weird wsx 2 fed is technically not an indy

Nobody really even knows what that's going to be.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Endorph posted:

What happens if WWE hires Delirious?

I do a little dance.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jerusalem posted:

I do a little dance.

Do you make a little love?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lone Rogue posted:

Do you make a little love?

Bah bah tonight.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That little exchange gave me quite a chuckle.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Okay, I have to ask, after Google and YouTube searches have consistently provided nothing -- what's the genesis of the Delirious / "Bah bah" thing?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Timby posted:

Okay, I have to ask, after Google and YouTube searches have consistently provided nothing -- what's the genesis of the Delirious / "Bah bah" thing?

he crazy

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Timby posted:

Bah bah bah bah bah one time bah bah bah bah colt cabana bah bah bah bah matt bourne bah bah bah sucky sucky pat patteron bah bah bah

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
What day does the Observer come out on?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Moose Bigelow posted:

Bah bah bah bah bah one time bah bah bah bah colt cabana bah bah bah bah matt bourne bah bah bah sucky sucky pat patteron bah bah bah

PRINCESS PEACH IS A WHORE!

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

ChampRamp posted:

What day does the Observer come out on?

It's usually posted online Wednesday afternoon. On a two Observer week, the second is posted on Thursday or Friday. When I used to get the hard copy, I usually got it on Saturday or Monday, but I live on the east coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Burrito posted:

PRINCESS PEACH IS A TRAMP!

:eng101: