Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
~my girlfriend~ told me today she's thinking about law school

I started laughing and could not stop until the tears came

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
you should encourage her to go and help her be the best student possible so that she lands at a white-shoe in NY and you can leech off her until the end of days

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Upcoming class of 2013 has a FB group, with various discussion topics.

Gunners already spotted.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Ugh I don't want to live in a trailer down by the river.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

you should encourage her to go and help her be the best student possible so that she lands at a white-shoe in NY and you can leech off her until the end of days

That seems like a fantastic plan until she ends up having an affair with her fellow law review editor or a senior associate because so much of her time is either spent studying or slaving away in a cubicle.

The boyfriend of one of my classmates pretty much did what you're joking about. She was 22-23 like the rest of us 1Ls and they were college sweethearts. He moved with her and ended up working at Applebee's or Ruby Tuesday to help out with her rent and expenses while my classmate became a law school superstar. Ironically enough, it's not like Charlottesville was chock full of great job opportunities for a recent college graduate with a liberal arts degree.

They got engaged right after 1L year which was pretty par for the course.
She graded-on to Law Review and became a managing editor and reached the quarter-finals of Moot Court. Sometime during 2nd semester, they broke up because she ended up having an affair with another classmate of ours. It wasn't like they were bad people, but she just saw so much more of this guy, they were going through similar experiences, and there was an attraction there and one thing just led to another.

As far as I know, he moved out of Charlottesville with just 1.5 years of waiter experience to show for it. The last time I heard about her, she got a Supreme Court clerkship and was trying to get into law school academia.

She's still married to my other classmate though, so true love prevailed.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 20, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

One of my friends started law school engaged to some dude, and within a week she fell in love with a classmate, the two were inseparable. But her and the classmate are still together so hey good for them

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Green Crayons posted:

Gunners already spotted.

There are still only three people in my class's Facebook group... :(

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

MoFauxHawk posted:

There are still only three people in my class's Facebook group... :(

Gunners spotted

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Dodgers Baseball America #1 Embarrassment Prospect

JudicialRestraints posted:

Gunners spotted

here's one

Yojimbo Sancho
Feb 1, 2007
I have no idea either...

yadayadayada posted:

here's one

To be fair, JR was only a gunner about 1/2-2/3 of 1L year. The other 1/2-1/3 he was having various mental/body breakdowns as a result of the gunning. So it pretty much evens out to normal (except he did get good grades, unlike me).

Love you JR :swoon:

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

pie eating contest where the reward is more pie

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Tetrix posted:

pie eating contest where the reward is more pie

I love pie

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm hungry

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
pie eating contest where the reward is horrible diarrhea

everybodys a winner

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm hungry

Boiled shoe leather is p. tasty with the right amount of hunger. (Paging Atlas...)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
There were only two relationships I know of that survived law school: my now-wife and I, and my 1L's roommate and his now-wife.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Atlas is in a TRAILER DOWN BY THE RIVER

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

That's a step up from where he was at least.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

yadayadayada posted:

here's one

This post works well because it looks like your avatar is looking at him

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

This post works well because it looks like your avatar is looking at him

your gay!

Also, to be on topic for once, the bar is one week from tomorrow!

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

_areaman posted:

I will drive my corolla until it catches fire and melts into the pavement, no matter how rich I am. Why waste money on a car? Housing is where it's at
:hfive: still driving my 1992 honda civic i bought with money working at gamestop during freshman year of undergrad

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elotana posted:

:hfive: still driving my 1992 honda civic i bought with money working at gamestop during freshman year of undergrad

Sold my car because a garage in NYC is $500/month. :smug:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Spent the morning in court waiting to appeal a speeding ticket. My hearing was delayed 2 hours, and the entire time I listened to two PI lawyers talking about counterfiling crossmotions for years on end with insurance companies, as well about their goddamn exes with goddamn alimony.

I thank god every day I did not go to law school.

(was found 'not responsible' for the ticket as well! great morning!)

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
I really wish I liked PI because that's where about 95% of the jobs here are.

edit: drat now I realized how much practicing Pet Island law would own

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I really wish I liked PI because that's where about 95% of the jobs here are.

I wish I liked transactional because working with cooperative attorneys would be awesome.

On the other hand I get to call people assholes and cocksuckers and no one in the office bats an eye.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Green Crayons posted:

Gunners already spotted.

I bet that half the gunners are carefully editing their posts in the belief that the Senate will go over them with a fine tooth comb 30 years from now after their inevitable SCOTUS nomination.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
International human rights law should be replaced by tree law.

http://www.sp-law.com/tree.htm

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Konstantin posted:

I bet that half the gunners are carefully editing their posts in the belief that the Senate will go over them with a fine tooth comb 30 years from now after their inevitable SCOTUS nomination.

Did you guys have classmates who erased all their illegally-downloaded mp3s before they had their character and fitness interviews?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

CaptainScraps posted:

I wish I liked transactional because working with cooperative attorneys would be awesome.
How much transactional work have you done?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Petey posted:

Spent the morning in court waiting to appeal a speeding ticket. My hearing was delayed 2 hours, and the entire time I listened to two PI lawyers talking about counterfiling crossmotions for years on end with insurance companies, as well about their goddamn exes with goddamn alimony.

I thank god every day I did not go to law school.

(was found 'not responsible' for the ticket as well! great morning!)

gotta say I enjoyed rolling into a social security appeal with another summer and an actual associate, in suits and with reams of documents for cases that people usually don't have any sort of lawyer to help them with

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TyChan posted:

Did you guys have classmates who erased all their illegally-downloaded mp3s before they had their character and fitness interviews?

I stopped that particular activity once I was enrolled in law school and haven't looked back. Out of all of my friends, I'm the only one who doesn't have a single illegal piece of software or music in his possession.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

gvibes posted:

How much transactional work have you done?

Not a goddamned bit. But I have preconceived notions.

Preconceived notions.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

entris posted:

I stopped that particular activity once I was enrolled in law school and haven't looked back. Out of all of my friends, I'm the only one who doesn't have a single illegal piece of software or music in his possession.

Is this seriously an issue for C&F?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Is this seriously an issue for C&F?
If you're been charged for piracy, then sure I guess.

My ~girlfriend~ is the same way though, she freaks out at me when I tell her I downloaded something

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

evilweasel posted:

gotta say I enjoyed rolling into a social security appeal with another summer and an actual associate, in suits and with reams of documents for cases that people usually don't have any sort of lawyer to help them with

Are hours that bad that your firm is triple-billing for one pro bono client?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

yadayadayada posted:

Are hours that bad that your firm is triple-billing for one pro bono client?

We're summers, our time is worthless. The actual associate is there to make sure that we don't embarass the firm.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Linguica posted:

If you're been charged for piracy, then sure I guess.

My ~girlfriend~ is the same way though, she freaks out at me when I tell her I downloaded something

I just think I'm too risk-averse to engage in that, especially when the alternative ($1 on iTunes) is so easy. Also, youtube has basically every song you could want, so and grooveshark / pandora also provide free music.

And these days, with the RIAA playing rough, you might just get sued if you aren't careful.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sure but that's no reason to delete years worth of hard work in college.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

evilweasel posted:

Sure but that's no reason to delete years worth of hard work in college.

I disagree with your characterization that the acquisition of pirated property is equivalent to hard work, unless you mean the hard work of the original creator of the property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

entris posted:

I disagree with your characterization that the acquisition of pirated property is equivalent to hard work, unless you mean the hard work of the original creator of the property.

pimpin pirating ain't easy