Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

kaiory posted:

I've been thinking about a drz for awhile and this came up on craigslist: http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/1851201996.html It looks pretty clean and has low miles. What type of issues do you think the bike has? I'm still waiting on a reply from the seller so I don't know if it just needs the carb cleaned or something. I've cleaned the carb on my ninja 250 and adjusted the valves so I think I'd be able to bring this bike to good working order. Are there any big red flags about this?

That bike has been sitting on it for a while, but thats a pretty killer deal on such a low mile DRZ. However you will probably have to put a bit of money into it.

Tires are prob from 1999 and garbage, check the gas tank for rust, carb will most definitely need a cleaning, new oil/filter (You should probably replace all the fluids) and new jets at that point couldn't hurt. Check the rads and crank case covers for leaks/cracks as they can be a weak point. It appears to be missing its right rad shroud and left mirror.

As for things to watch out for, there have been issues with the bolts that hold the stator in, they can vibe out and wreck your poo poo. A bit of loc-tite is a simple afternoon fix. Same issues with the front sprocket.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634403 (Stator)
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=625998 (Sprocket)

Edit: Crap, new page....

Content!

Overlooking Anchorage, AK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Christoff posted:

How are they for just casual commuting? I won't be dragging my feet, track days, etc. I'll do the occasional canyon and maybe trail/gravel ride. I already have to make a bit of an effort to shift/brake. Especially braking. How is walking around in them? Are they just too much of a boot for the casual rider?

Buying Tech 7's for commuting would be total overkill, and offroad boots are extremely awkward to walk in. Pop down to the store and try a pair on.

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Born to lose, live to win.
Took a trip to a local ski resort this weekend.

Turns out the KTM isn't half bad in rough terrain! Had to get past some really steep and rocky parts to get up, kind of surprised I made actually.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Zool posted:

Buying Tech 7's for commuting would be total overkill, and offroad boots are extremely awkward to walk in. Pop down to the store and try a pair on.

This is true if you need to walk in them. They are extremely beefy and you feel like a badass wearing them which is fun. I wear mine any time I'm on the DRZ including going to work where I'll put on a pair of shoes and they are never tiring on the bike. No really protective boots are particularly comfortable to walk around in through.

And Christoff, kneepads are going to protect your rear end/hips from sliding down the road. My overpants were completely destroyed on the sides of my legs. My hip bone would be visible had I been in jeans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu7eyeLFqco

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

pr0zac posted:

My hip bone would be visible had I been in jeans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu7eyeLFqco
I'm putting lane markers on all of the cheese graters in the house as we speak.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o9g65hBwzs

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So I have sort of a crazy idea rolling around in my head.

I have all the parts on order to completely rebuild my Kawasaki F11-250 (1975 2-stroke 250 for those not in the know), and should have it up and running within the month.

I already have street tires on it, but the stock wheels are the regular olschool dirtbike size (21" front, 18" rear or something like that), and the hubs are standard 36-hole hubs.

I'm thinking about buying excel rims and lacing them to my stock hubs. I can get excel rims for pretty cheap ($140-180 per rimbrand new, of course less on ebay), and I have a lead on a guy who does wheel lacing who can hook up the spokes and get everything trued up.

Part of me thinks creating an oldschool supermoto would be sweet, part of me isnt sure.

What think ye goons?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Considering (according to your link) it's running a 3in front and a 4in rear, I wonder if you could fit a 4.25 on the back to run a 140 up to a narrow 160, and a 110-120 front. I don't know how it's going to handle stuff like hopping curbs, riding up/down stairs, etc. For me, the joy in a sumo is almost entirely in the 10+ inches of suspension travel that let you climb/jump just about anything. Or riding straight over embankments when you're leaving a parking lot rather than using the proper exit.

But...while I doubt it'd be the most functional thing around compared to anything more modern, it'd probably be a complete blast as a corner scratcher/whatever. The idea of the CB200 with 17s and some modern rubber makes me giggle quite a bit, I could get seriously stupid on a bike like that.

It'd probably wheelie pretty good too...only thing I'd want to "fix" would be the drum front brake.

Also count on having to do some serious spring upgrades to keep up with the amount of traction you'll have. What starts dragging when you lean it over?

Z3n fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 21, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nothing drags at the speeds/angles it can attain on the street. Being a more dirt oriented enduro means that everything is pretty out of the way.

It already wheelies easily with the stock tires, so 17's would only increase that.

The brakes.....are what they are. They're not bad considering its not capable of particularly high speeds, but they're drums, so theres that.

The suspension is typical 70's, lovely on both ends, with a fair amount of travel in the front.

I just think a vintage supermoto would be fun. The illogical part of my brain says that it would be sweet to lean it till the bars drag, and that it would look cool with the smaller wheels. The logical part of my brain says that the 18/21 combo is fine with street tires, and there isnt much more to be had from a bike like that.

It also says to keep saving for a DRZ :smith:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What's the total cost on it? Obviously new 17s will require new spokes, so you're looking at rims, spokes, + whatever it takes to mount. And running a 17 over a 21 will seriously lower the front end, the 18 over the 17 won't be quite as dramatic, but you're still going to see a big loss in cornering clearance and that may kill it all right there unless you're willing to swap front ends or do some suspension work to get that lost height back.

I seriously doubt you're going to see a huge gain by putting 17s on it over running the stickiest 21/18 rubber (trials tires, anyone? :haw:) you can find for it.

Frost
Dec 6, 2003
Don't let the Frost bite you

Phat_Albert posted:

Part of me thinks creating an oldschool supermoto would be sweet, part of me isnt sure.

What think ye goons?

Go for it! I am thinking about building an Enduro or Supermoto as well from a 70s 2stroke and I think if you can pull it off it might not be competition but still an awesomely individual bike which you will love to ride.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Zool posted:

It's not really something stores carry. Stores have no love for sumos :(.

pr0zac posted:

This is true if you need to walk in them. They are extremely beefy and you feel like a badass wearing them which is fun. I wear mine any time I'm on the DRZ including going to work where I'll put on a pair of shoes and they are never tiring on the bike. No really protective boots are particularly comfortable to walk around in through.

And Christoff, kneepads are going to protect your rear end/hips from sliding down the road. My overpants were completely destroyed on the sides of my legs. My hip bone would be visible had I been in jeans.

Well, walking in them would be as much as going to the store, running errands, etc. I'm not going to be going to Disneyland and walking around all day in them. I have sandals I could bring along with me if need be.

How are they for shifting/braking? As I mentioned before I already have some trouble with the above. Mostly shifting. So maybe they won't be all that bad of an investment. Even if I'm just doing street riding with the occasional fast corner and trail ride?

Just how different are they from a street bike only boot? Are those that much easier to shift/brake in? I'd like something that if I do get a straight up dirt bike down the road I could just use them for both and not have to have 2 pairs of boots.

And god damnit I'll get underpants at some point. :colbert: The knee/shin pads are just a step up!

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Do people on ride dirt bikes in your area? Offroad boots are much stiffer than on road boots, making shifting and rear braking harder. I've found alpine stars boots to be especially stiff, I tried on a broken-in pair of tech-8s and hated them. I prefer the less stiff, less expensive, and less protective, Fox Comp-5. For racing and track days, if I'm not jumping the bike I wear street boots.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Zool posted:

Do people on ride dirt bikes in your area? Offroad boots are much stiffer than on road boots, making shifting and rear braking harder. I've found alpine stars boots to be especially stiff, I tried on a broken-in pair of tech-8s and hated them. I prefer the less stiff, less expensive, and less protective, Fox Comp-5. For racing and track days, if I'm not jumping the bike I wear street boots.

Not where I am right now, no. But I'm going to be stationed in the desert of CA and I think there will be a lot of dirt biking to be had there. But I'll know for sure when I get there. So I'm not sure if I should just get the sumo boots and then road boots. Or road boots and mx boots. Or just one.

If I get a road boot it'll probably be one of the alpine star smx

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Christoff posted:

Not where I am right now, no. But I'm going to be stationed in the desert of CA and I think there will be a lot of dirt biking to be had there. But I'll know for sure when I get there. So I'm not sure if I should just get the sumo boots and then road boots. Or road boots and mx boots. Or just one.

If I get a road boot it'll probably be one of the alpine star smx

Solution: Craigslist until you can find a cheap set of boots in your size, let the market decide for you! :haw:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I did find some nice smx-plus and the smx-5 and such in my size so...

No one is going to sell a sumo boot though, haha

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010
Anyone got any tips on removing paint from plastic? I'm ready to bring back teal and the Dremel aint doin the trick...

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

TylerC 2.0 posted:

Anyone got any tips on removing paint from plastic? I'm ready to bring back teal and the Dremel aint doin the trick...

soda blasting maybe, if they were really careful with it

edit: or knock up a diy one
http://www.garagenight.tv/diy-soda-blasting-build-your-own-rig-cheap/

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

SUPERMOTO

I'll try and get some video :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, the 17's on the F11 was a fleeting dream, I'm just going to get serious about saving for a DRZ-SM, the money is better spent that way.

On the plus side, I hope theres a DRZ-SM in my future!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Well, had the chance to explore a bit. The road's really interesting, especially this part, which allows for some small jumps and wheelies off of crests:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLmA8OC3JsY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__nYm_O4ruc

And then it turned offroad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTUt0Jjq7oU

This is why I love my DRZ though...the bike is definitely better offroad than I am, and it takes any sort of abuse I can hand out on it. Jumps, wheelies, stoppies, whatever, it's all good :)

Also had a small accident with the water in the back of the bike...:downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJEmViRiEu8

(Sorry if the quality is crap while the videos process)

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

Well, the 17's on the F11 was a fleeting dream, I'm just going to get serious about saving for a DRZ-SM, the money is better spent that way.

On the plus side, I hope theres a DRZ-SM in my future!

If you come to the chicago goonmeet next weekend I'll let you ride my DRZ, which (assuming you haven't already) will force you to get one as soon as possible.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

weird, a double post

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 23, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Man_of_Teflon posted:

If you come to the chicago goonmeet next weekend I'll let you ride my DRZ, which (assuming you haven't already) will force you to get one as soon as possible.

I used to own an 05 drz-sm with a full exhaust and an fcr-mx carb. It is one of two bikes I regret selling out of the tons of bikes I've been through.

Thanks though!

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

In that case, bring back the memories! Though mine is pretty much stock... hopefully next summer I'll be able to start the mods.

Did you do the carb yourself? How tricky is it? And what kind of messing around with jetting is involved after the carb/3x3/exhaust, would I have to find somebody with a dyno?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Man_of_Teflon posted:

In that case, bring back the memories! Though mine is pretty much stock... hopefully next summer I'll be able to start the mods.

Did you do the carb yourself? How tricky is it? And what kind of messing around with jetting is involved after the carb/3x3/exhaust, would I have to find somebody with a dyno?

I did do the carb myself. I got mine off eBay, it was out of a Yamaha WR-450, I believe. The install and jetting wasnt too horrible, but I read ThumperTalk obsessively to make sure I knew what I was doing.

Unfortunately, I dont remember what jetting I was running, but the FCR wasnt too tough to get dialed in. Eddie on ThumperTalk got me 95% of the way there off the top of his head, and I got the last 5% tweaked in just by feel.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Z3n posted:

Well, had the chance to explore a bit. The road's really interesting, especially this part, which allows for some small jumps and wheelies off of crests:

Goddamnit, ok fine. I'm getting a drz for sure now. That just looks like fun.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

soy posted:

Goddamnit, ok fine. I'm getting a drz for sure now. That just looks like fun.

Video didn't record every run, but I turned around to run that section a few times just because it was a blast. Supermotos in general are pretty much the best motorcycles for doing anything and everything as long as you're willing to deal with them for distance. You can ride up, over, through, and past just about anything and not worry about the bike. It's extra good for me because I back up to a lot of nasty, tight roads and unimproved fireroads that run through the national forests nearby. And they're great to play on.

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010

TylerC 2.0 posted:

Traded one of my scooters for a KLR250.

Silly things are happening today!

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010
Many hours later....

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Click here for the full 960x1280 image.

Took off the stupid license plate extender

Click here for the full 960x1280 image.

I'm pretty happy with the results. It's gaudy as hell but loads better than olive and camo!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The wheels on your sumo are too big! ;)

Bike looks good, I like the old school gaudy colors :)

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010

The only solution I've found for these bikes is to modify wheels from a Ninja 250. Unfortunately, I can't find anything that wont cost a arm and leg :(

Thanks for the compliment though!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

TylerC 2.0 posted:

The only solution I've found for these bikes is to modify wheels from a Ninja 250. Unfortunately, I can't find anything that wont cost a arm and leg :(

What does it take to make them fit?

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010
Here are some threads detailing some really involved conversions

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=73338

and

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51927

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

TylerC 2.0 posted:

Silly things are happening today!

totally doing this to my KLR skid plate.

How much would it be to get an aluminum skid plate powder coated/ Painted?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

TylerC 2.0 posted:

I've seen old wheels from ninja 250's go for $50 a pop on ninja250.org, checkout their classifieds section.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65851&page=1&s=f6d352c4d8042ecf9a4a28f08751b15e

Apparently someone makes a turbo kit for WR250X's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYbiTKtlFd4

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
I don't think they ever released them, they were stuck in limbo for years.

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
The 400sm makes a truly awesome first bike. I dropped it at 1 mph in the parking garage. The hand guards and axle sliders took the fall. I picked the thing up and got on my way... to bad some guy was watching.

I do have a quick question though. The bike seems to sometimes die when I'm coming up to a stop. It doesn't have any of the normal intake/exhaust mods and I bumped the idle up a little to try and fix it. That didn't fix it completely but I think it helped (died 4 times before adjusting and 1 time after). Should I just bump it up a little more or do something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Possibly a little too lean on the pilot? If your fuel/air screw cover is drilled out, you could try giving it a half turn in.

• Locked thread