Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
In the vein of posting our firsts:

EDIT: Goddamn, top of page. . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I'm just getting into 40K and I don't have a decent camera, so I'm using that as an excuse not to post my first model. I'm not...terribly ashamed of it. There's just a severe lack of detail (rivets, shading, etc) I could have done better on.

Anyway, a question as to scratch building. How the hell do you know what to go by? I don't have the actual rulebook yet (just the Ork codex) so maybe its explained in there. But all these scratchbuilt stompas and titans I'm seeing. How do you know what size to make them? I haven't found anything clear online, just WIP threads. Like, I have an idea for a wartrukk, but I get the feeling what I'd use as the base would be way too small compared to the official model. At some point I want to use it in an actual game, but I don't want it to seem like I made it small to take advantage of LOS.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Fooley posted:

I'm just getting into 40K and I don't have a decent camera, so I'm using that as an excuse not to post my first model. I'm not...terribly ashamed of it. There's just a severe lack of detail (rivets, shading, etc) I could have done better on.

Anyway, a question as to scratch building. How the hell do you know what to go by? I don't have the actual rulebook yet (just the Ork codex) so maybe its explained in there. But all these scratchbuilt stompas and titans I'm seeing. How do you know what size to make them? I haven't found anything clear online, just WIP threads. Like, I have an idea for a wartrukk, but I get the feeling what I'd use as the base would be way too small compared to the official model. At some point I want to use it in an actual game, but I don't want it to seem like I made it small to take advantage of LOS.

I'm pretty sure as long as they're on their baseline sized base or larger, they're fine. Other folks know the base sizes better than me, but they're all standardized, so not really complex.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

MaliciousOnion posted:

guys

That's a marker boy that I place in his powerklaw when he uses his bosspole successfully. When I don't need him he holds onto the handlebar of the trukk and kinda hangs there horizontally. It creates the impression of the trukk moving really fast.

I want to get more marker models like that. Maybe some little snotlings to put next to my nobz for extra wounds.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Sole.Sushi posted:

Well, tits on a snake isn't as overtly sexual as tits on a woman, and young kids likely aren't going to understand the reasons why the snake has tits to start with: they are just going to giggle and say "hehe, snaketits."

http://oglaf.com/snakeskin/

Anyway, I'm looking for a miniature for DH, I want basically a robed/hooded dude to stand in for a techpriest, I'll convert up the techy bit. Kicker is I want a pose better than GW's 'standing with staff'. I'll be happy to do a bunch of converting but I need a miniature to start with as I'm poo poo at sculpting.

Also, need to find a use for this fella:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
"Neo, when did you get fat and start wearing jorts?"

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Aetilus posted:

anyone else think it's strange that GW slaps naked tits on all these crazy looking slaneshi monsters but managed to control themselves on the relatively human daemonettes?

No, because its a more recent model, and they seem to be toning down slanesh as much as they can over time.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

[timg]http://img.waffleimages.com/7c7694d08dff1e61381000281ac21a7a5eafed4a/blue-footed-boobie-galapagos-big[1].jpg[/timg]

Nice turqouise/blue on the feet, what paint did you use?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

enri posted:

Nice turqouise/blue on the feet, what paint did you use?

Boobie Blue.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sole.Sushi posted:

Well, tits on a snake isn't as overtly sexual as tits on a woman, and young kids likely aren't going to understand the reasons why the snake has tits to start with: they are just going to giggle and say "hehe, snaketits."

Fake Edit: To elaborate--the "reasons" the snake has tits is because Slaanesh is all about sensation, and really, it would certainly be a, "different" sensation to be raped by a snake with tits, a horse-sized face and a tongue so big that could feltch you while it gives you a blowjob, while it simultaneously crushes you to death with snake coils/tits.

Sigh. Why do I know this poo poo? :suicide:
Actually it's about perverting things, like "the course of justice" and stuff like that. The models have made people think it's all about the boobies and 4chan has managed to add drugs and rock 'n' roll through sheer force of meme but GW are kind of wiggling it back to kiddie-friendly confusing concept territory.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

eh? I thought Slaanesh had always been about giving in to base desires

Each time you cave in and reach for that cream cake.. you're giving up a little piece of your soul to Slaanesh :argh:

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Sole.Sushi posted:

Fake Edit: To elaborate--the "reasons" the snake has tits is because Slaanesh is all about sensation, and really, it would certainly be a, "different" sensation to be raped by a snake with tits, a horse-sized face and a tongue so big that could feltch you while it gives you a blowjob, while it simultaneously crushes you to death with snake coils/tits.

Sigh. Why do I know this poo poo? :suicide:

Oh baby. Keep talking.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

pw pw pw posted:

That's a marker boy that I place in his powerklaw when he uses his bosspole successfully.

That marker's only going to be relevant for like five seconds, tops, though?
:psyduck:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

If the bosspole succeeds they don't scatter and run. Then it's relevant for the rest of the time the squad is active/alive.

It's just for fun, though. That's not even something you need to keep track of.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 20, 2010

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

enri posted:

eh? I thought Slaanesh had always been about giving in to base desires

Each time you cave in and reach for that cream cake.. you're giving up a little piece of your soul to Slaanesh :argh:
Base desires aren't chaotic. They're ingrained and predictable behaviours which are easily understood and follow logical rules. Perverting stuff, ie: changing it's use from the original intended use, is plenty chaotic. It's all about the change.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Fooley posted:

It's not in the codex sorry. But as an ork player you have a huge amount of room to play with. I the 'correct' scale for warhammer vehicles is 1:35.

btw - http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showforum=2 - should have most of the information that you're looking for.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

So I am a complete noob when it comes to painting. I painted some spacemarines when I was like 15, but that's it. I have 0 artistic skill or knack. When these guides start talking about mixing paint or thinning it with water I start convulsing.

I picked up skull pass off eBay and am going to start playing and would like to do a decent job painting. Oh great ham goons, teach this poor soul the basics of coloring inside the lines.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Prefect Six posted:

So I am a complete noob when it comes to painting. I painted some spacemarines when I was like 15, but that's it. I have 0 artistic skill or knack. When these guides start talking about mixing paint or thinning it with water I start convulsing.

Mixing and thinning is pretty damned easy. All you need is paint, water, an eyedropper and a pallet of some kind. I like to use bottle caps like mini paint pots.

Basically I take the paint and add a few drops to the cap, then put the rest back into the bottle, before releaseing the bulb on the eyedropper, I then take some water in it and add about 1:1 of water (1:2 water:paint if it's the Foundation Paints). Then I clean my eyedropper out with water, and continue with any other paints I need before mixing it all together with a brush and painting.

You pretty much have to thin the paint to make a good clean coat.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
1) get a nice solid coat of spray primer on the model. Always spray with the can upright, you can use loops of tape on a cardboard box (to stick the models to)so you can turn the models as you spray, as opposed to the can.

2) Use a palette, so you can thin your paint. Paint thinning is easy, just glomp a #2 size brush full of paint into a dimple on your palette, then dip that brush into water and swish it around in the paint thats on the palette. If it seems runny, add a touch more paint. If it seems glompy, add a little water.

3) Treat your brushes well, swish them in water about once ever 30 seconds while painting, then drag/spin it against a papertowel to dry it. The spinning helps it keep a point.

4) Keep your early stuff simple, in terms of the paint scheme and the expectations.

5) Citadel washes are pretty awesome for beginning painters, you can use them straight out of the pot, just glomp it on and let it dry.

6) Expect everything you do to be fairly plain and blocky at first. Live with it, because every model you paint will get better and less messy looking. Dont expect great things without practice, nothing works that way, why would miniature painting?

7)Post here for critique, we are very noob friendly

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Well, here are the end results of my first (and more than likely last) excursion into miniature painting. I had fun, but the missus was unhappy with the results of hers, even though I think she did a better job than me. Neither of them compare to your masterpieces, but they are much cooler than the pre-painted plastic minis our friends are using, and that's all that matters! Thanks for all the help, goons!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Klungar posted:

Well, here are the end results of my first (and more than likely last) excursion into miniature painting. I had fun, but the missus was unhappy with the results of hers, even though I think she did a better job than me. Neither of them compare to your masterpieces, but they are much cooler than the pre-painted plastic minis our friends are using, and that's all that matters! Thanks for all the help, goons!

poo poo that's not bad at all. Tell your wife that the first time you do anything you're gonna suck at it

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

What are foundations/washes?

I didn't expect it to be simple, but I definitely want to do some learning/research before I start painting dwarves and goblins which in my mind seem a lot more complex than 'paint entire marine blue, paint gun black and done'.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Foundations are super opaque paints that will cover (even when very thinned) black primer or dark colors better than most paints.

Washes are a watery, transparent layer you put over a color, and it shades that color.

So if you had an area you painted silver, you could wash it with badab black, and it would darken the recesses and that creates shading.

Shading is important because it makes details pop out from a distance.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

PaintVagrant posted:

4) Keep your early stuff simple, in terms of the paint scheme and the expectations.

Okay, okay, I get it!

;)

Also, "GLOMP" is the new word for the day.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Aranan posted:

:glomp:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Aranan posted:

Okay, okay, I get it!

;)

renaming rule #4 "the aranan rule"

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Klungar posted:

This isn't bad at all. For a first time, it's actually drat good. The only real thing I could suggest is maybe adding a wash for instant shading. Washes make things really pop, and takes literally no skill to do.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

If we weren't running out of time before our first session and both frustrated from being perfectionists and going back and trying to fix minor imperfections and only making them worse, I'm sure we would have attempted washing. Once my Ranger levels up a bit, I'll get an animal companion, so that's where I'll try to bring in some of these other techniques. Thanks for the encouragement!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
In what situation would you use white instead of black as a primer? My army is Steel Legion themed Imperial Guard with lots and lots of tanks. I assume black is what I want to prime the tanks with since they will be darker colors, but would it be better to prime my infantry dudes with white since I plan on going with the traditional tan/light brown Steel Legion colors? I've seen Krylon flat black suggested as a good, cheap primer, is that a good choice or is there something better I should use?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

ghetto wormhole posted:

In what situation would you use white instead of black as a primer?

All of them

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

ghetto wormhole posted:

In what situation would you use white instead of black as a primer? My army is Steel Legion themed Imperial Guard with lots and lots of tanks. I assume black is what I want to prime the tanks with since they will be darker colors, but would it be better to prime my infantry dudes with white since I plan on going with the traditional tan/light brown Steel Legion colors? I've seen Krylon flat black suggested as a good, cheap primer, is that a good choice or is there something better I should use?

Use black on your tanks, white on your infantry if that's your scheme. If your colors are dark OR have lots of metal, use black. In all other cases use gray or white.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Klungar posted:

Why is the girl not wearing any pants at all. A chainmail bikini is bare minimum requirement mister :colbert:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

:siren: PAINTVAGRANT.COM'S FIRST ANNUAL PRE-GENCON SALE! :siren:

https://www.paintvagrant.com/store

4 rad new coupon codes to use!
7/20/10 - 7/31/10

GENCON1
On any order $35 or higher, you will receive a $5 dollar gift certificate in your email for any later purchases!

GENCON2
On any order $50 or higher, you will receive a $10 dollar gift certificate in your email for any later purchases!

GENCON3
On any order $75 or higher, you will receive a $10 dollar gift certificate in your email for any later purchases, as well as 5% off this order!

GENCON4
On any order $125 or higher, you will receive a $10 dollar gift certificate in your email for any later purchases, as well as 10% off this order!

As usual, if you want to use the GOONS code, you will receive 5% off. Note that you may only use 1 coupon code per order!, so you cant stack them.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 24, 2010

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
About thinning paints: do you need to thin them if you are drybrushing?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

uXs posted:

About thinning paints: do you need to thin them if you are drybrushing?

No, you want them to be straight from the pot in most cases. Some paints are better if they sit a little while and get thick before drybrushing, but you have be careful that it doesnt get too glompy

:glomp:

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So I'm mulling over asking my housemates if I can use her air brush to give it a try. Can I use water downed paint or do I need to add something special to it?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Why is the girl not wearing any pants at all. A chainmail bikini is bare minimum requirement mister :colbert:

Khaki pants ;)

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Ezekiel_980 posted:

So I'm mulling over asking my housemates if I can use her air brush to give it a try. Can I use water downed paint or do I need to add something special to it?

windex

yes i'm serious

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

windex

yes i'm serious

Either this or some isopropyl alcohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

So PVA is just wood glue which means I can go to lowes and pick up some elmers wood glue and use that?

Also I've been reading a lot of talk about painting glue on. Does this not ruin brushes pretty quick? Especially with super glues, I just see that being a disaster.

• Locked thread