Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less_than_one
Aug 29, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

Crows. Ravens are all black (your crows have some grey on them - are you in northern Europe somewhere?), are about twice the size overall, and have much heavier bills. A raven generally looks like it could easily take at least a couple of your fingers off with one good snap, a crow looks like it would need to peck away at it. In flight, a raven's tailfeathers form a wedge or chevron shape (the tail as a whole is diamond-shaped), while a crow's tail is usually square-cut at the back. Ravens are almost never found in groups larger than 3 or 4 birds, and much more often 1 or 2. Crows are usually solitary, too, but are fairly often found in much larger groups. They sound different, too - your local crows will have a range of sounds, most of which will be some variation on "aaawk!". Ravens will loving say anything - I once watched one in a tree in Vancouver pretending to be a xylophone: "bong! bong! bing! bong! clung!", plus lots of sounds that probably don't have vowels in them.

Are you sure it wasn't playing a tiny xylophone?
I'm in the UK as it happens and have a vague feeling that the Tower of London grounds are a raven hangout - will see if I can grab some shots.
Thanks for the lesson :) I just love the look of both these birds, that gothic sensibility and dignity, plus instant horror movie cliche.
(No I don't wear guyliner)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I think its....

Rooks are easy to tell by their distinctive beaks.
Ravens by their large size (bigger than a buzzard).
I belive the photos is actually a Jackdaw, due to the grey back of the head, and very pale eye.
Carrion Crows are all black and have dark eyes.
Hooded crows have grey belly, breast and back, and a dark eye.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/j/jackdaw/index.aspx
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/c/carrioncrow/index.aspx
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/r/rook/index.aspx
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/h/hoodedcrow/index.aspx
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/r/raven/index.aspx

less_than_one
Aug 29, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

I believe the photos is actually a Jackdaw, due to the grey back of the head, and

I think you're spot on Pablo.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Huh. I'd long assumed "rook" was a southern-England local synonym for "raven". Not so. I guess, despite my best efforts, I learned something today.

I was in Norway a couple of weeks ago, we went on a tour around Oslo harbour. Dinner was massive amounts of shrimp, so of course a large number of gulls were following us very closely. This is uncropped (though resized to avoid table breakage), and was taken at 143mm on my Pentax K10D (1.5 crop body) with my Sigma 100-300mm lens. The pictures I took at 300mm are either empty sky, horribly badly focused, or just gull-butt. Anyone know the species here? Solid black on the top of the wings and middle of the back, otherwise white, feet are yellow.

slearch
Dec 10, 2006

I got a baby ducky

Hazardous Taste
Aug 4, 2009
I got a Goshawk here, completely by accident. I was hiking last week when I heard a ton of songbirds start alarm calling and scolding like crazy. Next thing I know this guy decides to land on this branch about 150 feet in front of me and 25-30 feet up. He flew away before I could get any closer.

Anyone here shooting with a m4/3 camera? I shot this with my GF-1 and the 45-200mm f4.5-5.6 telephoto lens. I don't like the CA fringing on the branch and the right side of the bird, but I can't decide on what lens or lenses I should look into that would do a better job.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

In the mean time it's stupidly easy to correct by killing purple saturation in the area.

Hazardous Taste
Aug 4, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

In the mean time it's stupidly easy to correct by killing purple saturation in the area.

Well, how about that! I didn't think of doing that... Thanks!

Since I'm here again, I might as well post this little sparrow that lives in the South Fork Valley of Eagle River, Alaska.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Getting a decent photo of a bird of prey the only way I know how, at a falconry display :v:

edit: One more:

vvvv Yeah a White Tailed Sea Eagle, apparently there's a small population up in northwest scotland. Thinking of taking a trip up later in the year to try and get some slightly less fake shots.

Holistic Detective fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 2, 2010

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Holistic Detective posted:

Getting a decent photo of a bird of prey the only way I know how, at a falconry display :v:
Really nice shots. Is that an eagle in #2-3?

Finally got some decent shots from my kayak (with the down side that paddling around in a kayak with a 600mm and tripod apparently makes you a bit of a tourist attraction yourself).

1. Killdeer

2. American White Pelican

slearch
Dec 10, 2006

This is a bird I can't identify, though I'd guess it's a young one by the fluff.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

slearch posted:

This is a bird I can't identify, though I'd guess it's a young one by the fluff.

My best guess is eastern phoebe. Are you in Eastern/central North America?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Female Mountain Bluebird

less_than_one
Aug 29, 2004

Dread Head posted:

Female Mountain Bluebird

Nice done, but I admit to a bit of penis lens envy. Is that the Nikkor f4 200-400mm I see you waving in the general direction of some unsuspecting birds?

Don't want to turn this thread into gear talk, but is shooting hand-held a possibility? How does it compare to an f/4 300mm or 400mm prime? In case you've shot with those too...

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
It is the 200-400, not the newest one that just came out. I shot with and still have the 300f4 AF-S and the 300 is a very nice lens. The 300 and even the 200-400 is short for birds but can do the job. Hand-holding is possible but I would not want to do it for an extended period of time (example http://www.flickr.com/photos/bryntassell/4467969916/) The 300 is very good for hand-holding and overall a very good lens. If you want some examples or have more questions let me know.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

less_than_one posted:

Feisty Peregrine falcon - when I looked in its eyes I saw death

Raptors always have that look :haw:

Black-Chested Buzzard-Eagle

Variable Hawk

Unknown; seems like a dark morph variable hawk, but he's actually quite a bit larger.

All shot in Peru. Bird photography is actually what's making me want to take the plunge and buy a DSLR :shobon:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

A couple of shots from my kayak yesterday. Too windy and wavy to get my 600mm out there. :(

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

I was shooting at a park down the street from my house last week and three Ospreys showed up simultaneously and camped out in some trees above me. Sadly, the angle and harsh light made for pretty mediocre photos with my 55-250mm, but cool experience to say the least.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Got eaten by a pelican today

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Cross-posting from Critterquest

a Black-headed Grosbeak at the feeder.

California Towhee (missed the focus point on this a bit, so the sharpen tool looks a bit artificial to me).

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
Took the new D300s out for a spin the other day and I stumbled upon a pair of these guys:

One day I'll get a good picture of one of those. (Although I might have to spend a ton of money on higher powered telephotos to get it.)

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
These things either has the funkiest colors or my uncalibrated monitor and sad excuse for post-processing skills leads to some weird results:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Greybone posted:

These things either has the funkiest colors or my uncalibrated monitor and sad excuse for post-processing skills leads to some weird results:

The colours look ok to me but the 2nd ones does seem to be under exposed by some.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
Some more, I need a teleconverter :(

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Slo-Tek posted:

Got eaten by a pelican today

This rules so much.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
More baby birds, Cygnets this time:

The adult:

And a Peahen that tried to steal my sandwich:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Took these literally from my back patio this morning.

Dear EF-S 55-250mm,
Thank you for finally not hunting like crazy for focus when it mattered.

With all my love,
BeastOfExmoor

benjimouse
Mar 6, 2006
newbie photographer's first attempt:

-- own hosting.

Using a 1971 nikon 200mm f4 on a gf1. Shooting birds with manual focus wobbling about on a crappy tripod is... difficult.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
Zoo trip today:

Shiftypenguin fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 6, 2010

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
another newbie, though my pictures didn't turn out nearly as nice or clear because I'm using a p&s

Click here for the full 1322x744 image.

Click here for the full 744x1322 image.

Click here for the full 744x1322 image.

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making

Really not happy with this one. So pissed off that I missed the focus slightly!

Going to the zoo to get shots is cheating. Fun though!

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Pogue_Mahone posted:

Going to the zoo to get shots is cheating. Fun though!

How so? A bird is a bird, as far as I'm concerned.

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making

William T. Hornaday posted:

How so? A bird is a bird, as far as I'm concerned.

Just in the sense that I would never be able to usually get so close to a lot of the birds I shot normally. Hell most of them I would never see. Meant it in a good way though.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Here is a video of a baby duck catching a fly. I shot it hand held with a 300mm lens on a 7D. It was so dark the camera wouldn't lock on them with autofocus.

Click

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Abbott Costello
Dec 28, 2009
Went to Brookfield Zoo for Labor Day; it seems these birds like overcast days.

LaborDabor 2010 part 1 161 by venusnightshadow, on Flickr

Back to the Zoo, Labor Daybor 2010 005 by venusnightshadow, on Flickr

Didn't see the little bugger in the back; D'oh!

LaborDabor 2010 part 1 126 by venusnightshadow, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A few shots from my recent trip to Brazil. Too bad I was too much of a wuss to bring my new DSLR, so these are with my old p&s. Still, it was hard not to accidentally take a pretty picture on occasion.

A trogon

Euphonia:

male and female dacnis:

Hyacinth Macaws:

an aracari or toucanette

Potoo:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I'm not sure what type of bird this is. Is it just a blue jay?

September-22 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

September-25 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TomR posted:

I'm not sure what type of bird this is. Is it just a blue jay?

September-22 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

September-25 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Belted Kingfisher- nice!