Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Machine posted:

Yay! We can be e-friends now, fellow Dune-fan. :)

My shame is I do not have a record player :smith:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

For a while I've been looking for a full list of MPAA registration numbers.
Originally I had some cockamamie aspirations to see every movie and check them off one by one. Now I know that with time constraints this is theoretically impossible.

I finally found a pretty good (although incomplete) list:

http://members.chello.nl/~a.degreef/Filmnummers.html

If a complete list exists I'd like to know.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

SubG posted:

I think this is equivalently true if you remove `in Japan'. Especially if the emphasis is on the word `in'.

I don't get it.

Anyway, having lived there most of my adult life and in the States growing up, I don't think that's true at all.

ZenMaster posted:

Session 9

No, it's nothing that complicated. "Simon" even says at the end that he lives in the minds of victims and the abused, or something like that but more poetic. In other words, we all have the potential for a little "Simon" to come out.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egomaniac posted:

I don't get it.

In July

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Egomaniac posted:

I don't get it.

Anyway, having lived there most of my adult life and in the States growing up, I don't think that's true at all.

No, it's nothing that complicated. "Simon" even says at the end that he lives in the minds of victims and the abused, or something like that but more poetic. In other words, we all have the potential for a little "Simon" to come out.

Hmmm... ok, I guess that could be it, although I find it hard to believe that his wife accidentally spilled hot water on him and he BRUTALLY murdered her and his own baby. Are you sure? The insane asylum wasn't related to what happened? Mary? Simon? Nothing? He had his own Simon? I thought that Simon might have been a demon that took over weak and scared people, and Gordon happened to catch him during his time in the asylum while he was cleaning it up. Or Mary was Gordon somehow... ah, well.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ZenMaster posted:

Hmmm... ok, I guess that could be it, although I find it hard to believe that his wife accidentally spilled hot water on him and he BRUTALLY murdered her and his own baby. Are you sure? The insane asylum wasn't related to what happened? Mary? Simon? Nothing? He had his own Simon? I thought that Simon might have been a demon that took over weak and scared people, and Gordon happened to catch him during his time in the asylum while he was cleaning it up. Or Mary was Gordon somehow... ah, well.

I follow Egomaniac's view on it. It's possible though, that he started working at the asylum, then killed his wife at some undetermined point after. Also, one woman did in fact do all the voices on the tape. Some really impressive voice acting in that flick.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Egomaniac posted:

You're welcome to disagree. But I think that in the States watching `older' films is very much something confined to the enthusiast market, a few `classics' excepted. Studios certainly behave as if this is true in their approach to releasing films on DVD and Blu Ray. I'm not sure if there's any way you could collect more meaningful data on the subject short of conducting some sort of large opinion poll.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I follow Egomaniac's view on it. It's possible though, that he started working at the asylum, then killed his wife at some undetermined point after. Also, one woman did in fact do all the voices on the tape. Some really impressive voice acting in that flick.

Thinking on it more and rewatching some of it I have come to believe Simon is a demon inhabiting those who allow him in. Why? He introduces himself to Gordon immediately during his first visit to the asylum. "Hello, Gordon...", and then keeps talking to him during the film. Simon is definitely Mary's demon, same voice and he even says that everyone he takes over "let's him do" the horrible things he does. This is a creature who has done this many times and does not plan to stop. The death of mary did not stop Simon, he is outside of her control.

Mary had three personalities: Princess, Billy, and Simon. Princess did not know about Simon, but Billy knew about Simon. I don't think people with multiple personality disorder have the personalities interacting with each other or even know about them. Billy knew about Simon, and refused to wake him up. Sounds like a dormant malevolent spirit, I could be wrong.

It inhabited the asylum and found Gordon, a very weak, stressed out man with a new baby and a failing business. He introduced himself and took his place in his mind, and got him to kill everyone. Man, we need a thread for this one.

THAT WAS A WOMAN?!! Gah, Simon's voice.. I can't unhear it. :(

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FitFortDanga posted:

In July

Full of country goodness and green pea-ness.

CoolZidane
Jun 24, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Full of country goodness and green pea-ness.

Oh, what luck! There's a French fry stuck in my beard!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CoolZidane posted:

Oh, what luck! There's a French fry stuck in my beard!

Oh yes! They're even better when your dead!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I really don't need any specific questions answered but I just want a greater understanding of a few things.

I've seen the movie Empire of the Sun a few times but hadn't in several years. I really loved the movie the first couple times I saw it but upon seeing it again tonight something about it just doesn't sit right with me.

The movie starts outs simple enough showing Jamie living in Shanghai just prior to the war, living in a bubble of luxury ignorant to the growing situation happening outside his gated community. After everything goes to hell and Jamie is separated from his parents and forced to survive alone the movie takes a very captivating turn as he succumbs to greater desperation. Now, up to this point everything is absolutely clear and swell.

But then enters the character Basie. From this point on things get a little weird. At first it seems that Basie cares about Jamie but then the next second he is, apparently, trying to sell him into slavery. Is the movie from then on out supposed to be a subtle look at Jamie, now Jim's, decent into phycological collapse? Jamie clings onto Basie desperately, even going as far as to bribe him so as to not be abandoned, but why? Is Basie now Jim's father figure and symbol of stability that he is desperate to hang on to him?

And who the gently caress is Basie anyway? Is he supposed to be portrayed as a kind of pedophile or just a manipulative bastard? Before everyone gets to the camp when it looks like Basie is going to have to leave Jim behind, he starts sweet talking two new young kids, seemingly forgetting about Jim. He's then seen gently embracing the girl closely. Is there something devious going on here or am I just looking too much into it?

Anyway, after Basie finally abandons Jamie, and then returns with his Mad Max posse at the end, I guess Jamie finally realizes he is a scumbag and allows Basie to leave without him. And am I barking up the right tree with what I feel the movie is trying to portray with Jamie's loss of innocence?

My question is really this: Did Basie really at any point care about Jim or was he always a means to an end, whether it was to get extra food or prepare for his eventual escape?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just got done watching My Favorite Wife on TCM, and they played this hilariously misogynistic by today's standards MGM serial about different wives and how they annoy their husbands. Does anyone know the title of this?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just got done watching My Favorite Wife on TCM, and they played this hilariously misogynistic by today's standards MGM serial about different wives and how they annoy their husbands. Does anyone know the title of this?

Their site is actually ridiculously informative. This might be it.

That's one of the reasons I really miss the channel - they go out of their way to really produce a full package.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yes! This is it exactly. Thanks.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
This is going to be a bit stupid so don't yell at me. Ok so.. in Fight Club...when the hell is Nortons character talking out loud to Pitts character? I can take most of the movie up the part in the car before the crash. There, it seems like the two fellows in the back are looking at each other worryingly when Norton/Pitt are yelling at each other.

My other question will have to be on hold until I can remember the drat movies name.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

ZenMaster posted:

Thinking on it more and rewatching some of it I have come to believe Simon is a demon inhabiting those who allow him in. Why? He introduces himself to Gordon immediately during his first visit to the asylum. "Hello, Gordon...", and then keeps talking to him during the film. Simon is definitely Mary's demon, same voice and he even says that everyone he takes over "let's him do" the horrible things he does. This is a creature who has done this many times and does not plan to stop. The death of mary did not stop Simon, he is outside of her control.

Mary had three personalities: Princess, Billy, and Simon. Princess did not know about Simon, but Billy knew about Simon. I don't think people with multiple personality disorder have the personalities interacting with each other or even know about them. Billy knew about Simon, and refused to wake him up. Sounds like a dormant malevolent spirit, I could be wrong.

It inhabited the asylum and found Gordon, a very weak, stressed out man with a new baby and a failing business. He introduced himself and took his place in his mind, and got him to kill everyone. Man, we need a thread for this one.

THAT WAS A WOMAN?!! Gah, Simon's voice.. I can't unhear it. :(

I am really not so sure about that. Mary's tapes seemed more like a parallel story. A way to explain Gordon's condition, while keeping the mystery and suspense. None of that would be there if they came out and said Gordon was crazy right away. I do not think the supernatural is necessary to explain the story, which is what makes Session 9 so great. Its a totally creepy ghost story situation, with no ghosts involved.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Synnr posted:

This is going to be a bit stupid so don't yell at me. Ok so.. in Fight Club...when the hell is Nortons character talking out loud to Pitts character? I can take most of the movie up the part in the car before the crash. There, it seems like the two fellows in the back are looking at each other worryingly when Norton/Pitt are yelling at each other.
I'm trying to but I really can't understand what question you're actually asking here, because you seem to answer yourself...

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Akuma posted:

I'm trying to but I really can't understand what question you're actually asking here, because you seem to answer yourself...

I mean, several of the cuts back to show just norton doing stuff on his lonesome show no chatter, like the lye kiss. It seems like there is no exposure of all this to the outside world, but in the car it seems like the conversation is going on and the grunts in the back hear everything.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Norton's character was at his most emotional state during that part, I don't think in that particular instance that his subconscious cared that others might be witnessing his self-conversation. Until that scene, we never really observe Norton and Pitt in any sort of engaging conversation with others present. When we do, it's him as Tyler, talking to himself as a bystander.

It's also the last scene in which he's with Tyler before he finds him in a hotel room after trying to track him down all over the country and figures it all out.

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 19, 2010

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Philip J Fry posted:

Norton's character was at his most emotional state during that part, I don't think in that particular instance that his subconscious cared that others might be witnessing his self-conversation. Until that scene, we never really observe Norton and Pitt in any sort of engaging conversation with others present. When we do, it's him as Tyler, talking to himself as a bystander.

It's also the last scene in which he's with Tyler before he finds him in a hotel room after trying to track him down all over the country and figures it all out.

Ah, I suppose I got that but I didn't think it would slip. Thank you.

Can I a question of special effects for a different film here, Or did I miss that thread somewhere?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The scene makes much more sense in the book for Fight Club as the Narrator isn't talking to Tyler but instead to a random member of Project Mayhem who has become so indoctrinated that he can hold conversations for Tyler.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
How much does make-up conceal lines on the face and general signs of ageing and old skin?

I guess this question is more about male actors because I hear make-up for females is a lot more intricate and time consuming. A little bit related is an interesting fact I heard that may not be true, but apparently, the ladies make-up on Star Trek The Next Generation took longer than the forehead make-up that all of the aliens required.

e: Gonna expand this question.

If the answer to my question is what I think it is, are there many films out there that don't flatter the cast and give them the minimal make-up required to stop them looking like pasty faced vampires under the studio lights but don't attempt to "put Vaseline on the lens"?

spe fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 20, 2010

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
For films where they don't go to great efforts to make people pretty Sigourney Weaver in Be Kind Rewind looks pretty haggard. They either gave her the make up treatment or fixed it in post for Avatar, because she looked like her actual age (60ish) in Be Kind Rewind.

Youtube apparently has no video of her bit. It's like 5 minutes tops. She's the head lawyer that hit the video shop with the C&D.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

spe posted:

How much does make-up conceal lines on the face and general signs of ageing and old skin?

I guess this question is more about male actors because I hear make-up for females is a lot more intricate and time consuming. A little bit related is an interesting fact I heard that may not be true, but apparently, the ladies make-up on Star Trek The Next Generation took longer than the forehead make-up that all of the aliens required.

e: Gonna expand this question.

If the answer to my question is what I think it is, are there many films out there that don't flatter the cast and give them the minimal make-up required to stop them looking like pasty faced vampires under the studio lights but don't attempt to "put Vaseline on the lens"?

I'd say Before Sunset does a decent job of this, going so far as to basically directly compare how they look now, 9+ years later, to their appearance in Before Sunrise -- unflattering by comparison, though both leads are attractive by any standards.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Dyscrasia posted:

I am really not so sure about that. Mary's tapes seemed more like a parallel story. A way to explain Gordon's condition, while keeping the mystery and suspense. None of that would be there if they came out and said Gordon was crazy right away. I do not think the supernatural is necessary to explain the story, which is what makes Session 9 so great. Its a totally creepy ghost story situation, with no ghosts involved.

I like this, too. :) Man, if it makes me think this much, it's a darn good movie.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Does netflix instant always put on the theatrical version of a movie? Or do they sometimes put the unrated/director's cut on or both?

I wanted to know because I was going to watch Live Free or Die Hard and I'd heard there were multiple versions. Then I checked again and realized that it wasn't even on instant. But now I'm curious about other movies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

George Clooney allegedly never wears makeup for his movies.

Also Emma Thompson didn't wear any makeup in Stranger than Fiction because she was playing a shut-in.

Those are still just specific actors though, not whole casts.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

George Clooney allegedly never wears makeup for his movies.

Calling huge bullshit

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Calling huge bullshit

Yeah, I thought people looked funny on film if they aren't wearing make up.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Calling huge bullshit

Maybe he's just that beautiful.

I don't believe it either.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I heard it in the Up in the Air commentary. I think it's the director who says it.

I Googled it just now and there's a lot of results, but they're all just repostings of the same interview he did for the movie.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Doesn't George Clooney have fake tattoos in From Dusk Till Dawn? Doesn't this count as make-up?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Maybe it's a joke about how good looking he is?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FishBulb posted:

Maybe it's a joke about how good looking he is?

The Up in the Air director at least is quite serious when he says it.

My guess is he only uses basic make-up and doesn't use anything to conceal his age, and he's just overselling it a bit.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah it's pretty unlikely Ivan Reitman's kid would be able to tell a joke in a serious manner or joke around on a commentary track.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Really, that strikes means just a little bit of ego. He should be wearing whatever makeup the director tells him to wear. But he's a solid enough actor that it's forgivable.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zogo posted:

Does netflix instant always put on the theatrical version of a movie? Or do they sometimes put the unrated/director's cut on or both?

I wanted to know because I was going to watch Live Free or Die Hard and I'd heard there were multiple versions. Then I checked again and realized that it wasn't even on instant. But now I'm curious about other movies.

I know that Fired Up is the unrated cut. So it's definitely not always the theatrical version. But I don't know if it's mentioned which version any particular movie is. Except Blade Runner, they tell you which is which for that one.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Zogo posted:

Sex Drive is the crazy "random naked people for no reason every 5 minutes" Unrated Version with no god drat warning until the director tells you in a clip 10 seconds before the movie starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

This is a really dumb question but...

I was watching a show yesterday and one of the guys did this whole thing about being blown away by the cheerios he was eating. Asking if they were honey nut or something cause they were so good.

Is this a quote from a movie? Its driving me crazy cause I'm sure I've heard it before.