Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Wow, phenomenal work! I love the nakedness, and how the red frame really stands out in a sea of black. Well done. :golfclap:

:ninja: : New page, no content. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sir.Tucker posted:

Got my first bike in March. Have been working on it since then and finished yesterday.

The bike sat for over 5 years so the following is what I've done so far.

Avon Road Rider Tires.
Oil Change.
New Vacuum and Fuel Lines. New Fuel Filter.
Removed Upper Half Fairing.
Installed GSX Headlight.
Plastics and Tank painted Gloss Black.
Street fighter Renthal Bars & Ends.

Before:

After:

Stuff to look forward to:

Pod Filters
Bar End Mirrors
V&H 4-1 Exhaust
Dual Rotor front brakes

Quoting this for next page, bloody hell that looks good. Red, black and a dash of white, the proper colors of a motorcycle.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Wow, that looks like a completely new bike. And it looks really cool too. Great job!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sir.Tucker posted:

Got my first bike in March. Have been working on it since then and finished yesterday.

Avon Road Rider Tires.
Oil Change.
Installed GSX Headlight.

Before:

After:

Pod Filters
Bar End Mirrors
V&H 4-1 Exhaust
Dual Rotor front brakes

Nice Duc

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
I can't compare to that.

Friday, I managed to get to the DMV and a VIN inspection, and get the plates from the R1100RS transferred to the KLR. It took 105 minutes for them to help 19 people. :argh:

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
The DMV is the worst place in the world. I went a while back to get a CO drivers license, and it took four hours for them to handle ~50 people.

Changed the oil in the KLR today. I even got all fancy and used a new crush washer instead of reusing the old one like an idiot. Probably should have done more work, but I was feelin lazy so I went back inside.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Pssh, takes me like 5 minutes to get anything done at mine, pack it up DMVailures :smug:

Lancek
May 31, 2007
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Rode the gently caress out of my Ninja both days this weekend in the local twisties. It's easier to tell how and what to improve about your technique when you can compare rides back to back.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

lancemantis posted:

Pssh, takes me like 5 minutes to get anything done at mine, pack it up DMVailures :smug:

:hfive:

I've never had a wait longer than a couple minutes at the DMV in my town. Going to the main DMV office for the county is terrible, but I rarely have to go there.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Sir.Tucker posted:

Avon Road Rider Tires.
Oil Change.
Installed GSX Headlight.

Before:

After:

Pod Filters
Bar End Mirrors
V&H 4-1 Exhaust
Dual Rotor front brakes

Nice Seca! I recently did a naked conversion too. Where'd you get that sweet headlight?

Sir.Tucker
Sep 17, 2006

For the Workforce!

ari.gato posted:

Nice Seca! I recently did a naked conversion too. Where'd you get that sweet headlight?

I got it from Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/UNIVERSAL-HEADL...=item35a1a70031

The built in lights are terrible, I'm going to have to do some custom work to fit some HID's in there. Oh well.

*Sneak Edit: Thank you for the all the nice compliments!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Putting a new style logo on an old style bike is pretty cool by the way. Think it works on a lot of types.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

sklnd posted:

The DMV is the worst place in the world. I went a while back to get a CO drivers license, and it took four hours for them to handle ~50 people.

Changed the oil in the KLR today. I even got all fancy and used a new crush washer instead of reusing the old one like an idiot. Probably should have done more work, but I was feelin lazy so I went back inside.
That was really an unusual experience for me. It was slow a couple weeks ago when I renewed the tags on the M3, too.
Probably has a lot to do with my choice of days, though. If I hadn't waited until Payday Friday at 1pm, the KLR would have likely gone faster - and if I hadn't waited until the 29th of June (on my 30 day grace period for my May tags)... =)

*Usually* I'm in and out in 20 minutes, maybe 30.

Yesterday, I insured it (for reals, not the 'you already have motorcycle insurance, so you're covered for a shortish period of time' coverage).
Colorado recently (either a 2001 court ruling, or a 2008 change in law) had a ruling at the State level that Uninsured Motorist protection follows the *driver*, not the *vehicle*.

quote:

In DeHerrera v. Sentry Insurance Company, 30 P.3d 167 (Colo. 2001), the Supreme Court held that Sentry Insurance was incorrect in its reading of Colorado Revised Statutes 10-4-609. The Supreme Court instructed Sentry Insurance (and by implication all of the other insurance companies writing policies in Colorado) that UM/UIM benefits follow the person and not the vehicle. Additionally, the Court stated that one premium is sufficient to cover an entire family of drivers compared to one premium per car.
I looked at a summary of DeHerrera v. Sentry - a woman's minor child (who would be covered by her UM/UIM as a relative as a passenger in her car) was struck by an underinsured pickup truck while riding a dirt bike off road (no details on just how *that* happened, unfortunately). The court ruled that the son was covered by her UM/UIM coverage - just as he would be if he'd been hit by an un/underinsured driver while sitting on the porch of his house.

So, if you are in Colorado, and have UIM on your bike and your car, call your agent, and drop UIM on the bike, which is pretty spendy.
It works out really well for me - the car policy has 100/300/100 Liability, and 100/300 UIM, while the bike policy only offered a max of 50/100 UIM for $145/year, which was 54% of the total cost of the policy.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 13, 2010

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Finished changing the oil on the Firebolt today (it helps if you have the oil and filter before you drain everything). I was happy to see that, unlike my Blast, the drain plugs didn't empty directly onto my pipe.

Then my dad and I figured out a way to wire in the GPS that we had lying around, and mounted some bags that someone gave us. Now I won't have to wear a backpack for the 4 and a half hour ride to New Hampshire this weekend.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
i put some non lovely mirrors on my klr to replace the $10 ebay mirrors. Now I can actually see stuff behind me, AMAZING

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003
Replaced the rear bearings, chain, and sprockets!

I had a lot of fun getting dirty and realized that my local shop really jacks up the price for an hour or two of work and makes a lot of money on parts too. After taking the rear end apart I figured out that a spacer was backwards between the cush drive and wheel, probably causing the bearings to break in the first place. The only other people to have taken apart the rear end are at my local shop, so I think they messed it up.

I ended up putting the bearings in the freezer for two or three days then sliding them into place. The rear end went back together without a problem, but as I was tightening everything back up it seemed like I didn't fully seat a bearing. After a little hammering everything is fine!

Next on my to do list: See if the bad bearing messed anything else up, get some improved mirrors so I can see behind me and not just my elbows, better tune the suspension, and get new leathers (matched jacket and pants).

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Physically reinstalled the carb and hoses on the KLR. Tomorrow, the rest of the running gear and a power test.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Armacham posted:

i put some non lovely mirrors on my klr to replace the $10 ebay mirrors. Now I can actually see stuff behind me, AMAZING

hoho`win posted:

Next on my to do list: See if the bad bearing messed anything else up, get some improved mirrors so I can see behind me and not just my elbows, better tune the suspension, and get new leathers (matched jacket and pants).

I wonder how many riders with custom mirrors would buy a television in the shape of a teardrop or Maltese Cross. Or have it sitting at knee level. Televisions show reruns of Friends. Bike mirrors show live footage of INBOUND UNGUIDED MISSILES. The latter's more important, but you ought to have a widescreen in both cases. Even if it looks as dorky as hell and interrupts "the lines of the bike."

Frost
Dec 6, 2003
Don't let the Frost bite you
My bike has been having issues with the carb, engine kept on dying when I opened the throttle all the way. Turned out I combined just the wrong stuff when I made one carb out of three leftovers. Cue my dad digging two fitting complete carbs out somewhere.
Dirt and grease from 40 years:

A lot of scrubbing, flossing, WD-40-ing and elbow greasing later (times two):

Now I have 2 brand shining new replacemenet carbs and one of them should surely do the trick.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Restarted the KLR, seems to run ok (while stopped, not under load yet). Need a couple of bolts for the tank. Changed the oil. Goal for the weekend is to get everything to an approximation of clean and shiny.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
While I waited for my oil seals to arrive so I can actually ride again, I decided I had enough of looking at dead bugs, grease, dead bird remains and all the other 67,000 miles of grime and crud that had accumulated on my bike over the past 20 years. I tore it down to a rolling chassis and engine in the driveway and then armed with a bottle of dish soap, an old tooth brush, a hose and a small tupperware tub I spent all afternoon making my old BMW look like this.

Frost
Dec 6, 2003
Don't let the Frost bite you
Oh I love those GSs so much. Looking good!

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Bled the front brake again and adjusted the points gap on the CB750K. The gap was way off. Static timing is next.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
First I hole-saw'd the baffle plate out of my Star 13's muffler. Then I rode to Fred Meyer and bought a pair of Rubbermaid-type storage bins that fit in my saddlebags perfectly so that they retain their shape when empty. They look way better now and I won't have to worry about my sunglasses getting squished and scratched someplace in the corner of the bag.

We also changed the wife's R1150R's crankcase oil out with fresh Mobil1 20w50 and took it for a spin.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

I began step one of Project 11k mile maintenance: New front tire.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

As you can see it was well and good shot.

Click here for the full 800x1067 image.

Please forgive the motor oil stains in the carpet.

Tomorrow will entail taking the wheel to the shop for the tire install, Engine oil and transmission oil change, and front rotor sanding to alleviate shuddering under heavy braking.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Crashed the balls off of it a few days ago. I was coming around a long right sweeper at about 5am, just taking a nice little cruise, when all of a sudden I straighten the bike up and, what do you know, there's a loving mini-roundabout 20 feet in front of me. I was probably going 40-ish mph. Tipping it around the actual turn wasnt an option; the streets were flooded from sprinklers being on, and it was far too tight a turn to not lowside (right into the curb). I slow the bike as much as possible and point it right at the curb so it would hop up into the grass, hopefully minimizing damage. Wheel hits the curb, I do a motherfucking ninja-rear end jump for like 30 feet and slide on the grass to a stop. Bike does a face-plant and completely smashes the fairing, fairing stay, gauge cluster, and headlight.

100 bucks later and my bike is back to looking like it did before I found a front fairing, that poo poo sure didn't last long :v:

fake edit: sorry for the text-wall

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Watched smoke pour off it.

Seriously though, hoo fricking rah.

Finally wiggled the indicator back into working, got the front wheel back on, got the brakes wiggled out and installed. Job's good so book the MOT. Roll it outside, turn it on, pish, oil everywhere.

I'd tried removing the oil filter earlier in the build but the drat thing would not come off. Seems I'd punctured it with the chain oil filter tool, and it burst when the engine started.

Very promptly turned the engine off, cleaned up the driveway, the bike, the car next to the bike, my friend's little brother, my friend's mum, next door's car and the wall beyond. Then the drat oil filter decides that it does want to come off, so it's back on with the new one, topped up with oil, job's a good'un.

Now I've got to wash the oil off the header pipes, that was the aforementioned smoke.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Orange Someone posted:

Now I've got to wash the oil off the header pipes, that was the aforementioned smoke.

Eh, just ride it til it burns off. You can pretend you're riding a two-stroke :haw:

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

AncientTV posted:

Eh, just ride it til it burns off. You can pretend you're riding a two-stroke :haw:

It did smell a bit, but it's all off now. Annoying thing is that it was brand new oil. Mainly I didn't want to turn up at the garge with it looking like that.

Oh well. On the other hand, it failed the MOT. 3 minor problems (grip not secured properly, traveller for the rear brake is sticking and the headlight is aiming at the sky) but there's a bigger problem. Some sort of sticking/resonance problem with the front brakes.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

N183CS posted:

While I waited for my oil seals to arrive so I can actually ride again, I decided I had enough of looking at dead bugs, grease, dead bird remains and all the other 67,000 miles of grime and crud that had accumulated on my bike over the past 20 years. I tore it down to a rolling chassis and engine in the driveway and then armed with a bottle of dish soap, an old tooth brush, a hose and a small tupperware tub I spent all afternoon making my old BMW look like this.

God I love those old Paris Dakar's. Very nice bike.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Went to give the bike a wash today and saw this.

Some little bastard likes my SV enough to set up shop :)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

kylej posted:

Went to give the bike a wash today and saw this.

Some little bastard likes my SV enough to set up shop :)

AWWWWWW :3:

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Dropped it off where it belongs. The Ducati dealer :(

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Orange Someone posted:

. . . .
Oh well. On the other hand, it failed the MOT. 3 minor problems (grip not secured properly, traveller for the rear brake is sticking and the headlight is aiming at the sky) but there's a bigger problem. Some sort of sticking/resonance problem with the front brakes.

Turns out, I'm gonna need new calipers and pads on both sides of the front. They're not sure about the disk.

Bollocks

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Its been a long while since I've posted anywhere in CA, apparently I've been just as neglectful of the Ninja. :(

Checking out the grease coated center stand and surrounding areas last night after traveling on the freeway at 80 MPH for about 20 miles (like every day), I noticed a long bolt sort of hanging out of its hole, not doing its boltly duty. It was coated in grease/grime as well, so I think it's been out for a while. It was trapped by the frame, which explains why it didn't disappear like the nut/washer did. Turns out its the lowest engine mount bolt!

Got a replacement nut/washer this morning, and that extra vibration that I've been noticing for a couple weeks, as well as the whine at higher speed are both gone. Its also shifting more smoothly. :gonk:

I really need to clean the whole underside and check everything out. Also wire those loving nuts in place.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

sirbeefalot posted:

Its been a long while since I've posted anywhere in CA, apparently I've been just as neglectful of the Ninja. :(

Got a replacement nut/washer this morning, and that extra vibration that I've been noticing for a couple weeks, as well as the whine at higher speed are both gone. Its also shifting more smoothly. :gonk:

I really need to clean the whole underside and check everything out. Also wire those loving nuts in place.

Good catch. It's a filthy and neglected area of a bike in general, but worth monitoring for this and other reasons. Half a turn on a motor mount bolt can turn chaos to bliss. Be sure to torque it to spec.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Found out that when transporting loose cans & bottles of beer in the tankbag the caps of the bottles can sometimes run against the bodies of the cans, creating weak spots. These weak spots will then cause the beer to leak all over the inside of the tank bag, the magnet mounting pad for same, and the gas tank and side panels of the bike itself.

But it's a drat good stout as it turns out! :)

Jaz
Dec 24, 2005

Part of the internet...
Topped up the oil. I can't be sure but I think the clutch was slipping when the engine is cold. Tomorrow we will see.

Also adjusted the mirrors with a spanner for the first time since owning the bike. No more lop-sidedness.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
i made a crap-flap for my rear shock with 2 zipties and an old innertube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Changed maps in my PCIII. Set it to the Euro Stock map, seems to be running a lot less rich than it was. I don't think the M4 slip-on map was for the shorty GP pipe I've got. Gonna leave it for a tank of fuel and see if my economy improves (currently at ~7.2L/100km, which is bullshit).

As an added bonus, my laptop fell off the fuel tank while I was doing it on to the concrete floor, which somehow fixed the non-functioning trackpad! Score!