Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
The SA room is always active, stop on by!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Being able to speak Finnish helps

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

Uncle Jam posted:

I used to play go a few years ago. I even won 20bux in a tournament once (high kyu handicap division - so I was just having a better day than other people)

Is the SA room pretty active for east coast US? Will you help me get my groove back?

There is always someone on, come and check it out. Make sure to read the channel topic otherwise we will think you are a pubbie.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

scream incessantly for admittance

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Is it possible to play Go semi-regularly without it consuming your life? I can't afford to have it consume my life, but I'd kinda like to play Go (at my level) again.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

helopticor posted:

Is it possible to play Go semi-regularly without it consuming your life? I can't afford to have it consume my life, but I'd kinda like to play Go (at my level) again.

That seems like somewhat of a strange question to ask, because I have the opposite problem. I know I should be playing and studying more, but don't, either because I can't find the time or I'm too lazy. I'd say that it's pretty easy to regularly play go without devoting too much time to it. You could try for one game a day or something which would only take ~40 minutes. Or you could just pick up a problem book and do tsumego whenever you have some free time.

Cybermg
Jul 1, 2005
My problem was that my sessions of Go would always take like 4 hours, because I'd play a couple of games, then spend a long time having someone go over them and tell me all the things I did wrong.

I haven't played since winter, and not regularly since last summer. I've probably forgotten everything I knew.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Cybermg posted:

My problem was that my sessions of Go would always take like 4 hours, because I'd play a couple of games, then spend a long time having someone go over them and tell me all the things I did wrong.

I haven't played since winter, and not regularly since last summer. I've probably forgotten everything I knew.

This is similar to me, more or less (except iirc you got better than I ever did; I didn't even make it to 11k).

Wilitus
Mar 3, 2008
Lucien, lucien you should know.

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Being able to speak Finnish helps

What's this supposed to mean. >: (

Cybermg
Jul 1, 2005
If I was ever recorded above around 14k, it was because the KGS ranking system behaves oddly if you don't play for a while. I remember coming back after several months and seeing myself at 12k?. I got mismatched with opponents and slaughtered in my next few games before leveling off at around 15k.

A reasonable schedule would be playing those long sessions once or twice a week, then maybe just picking up some problems in your spare time on the other days.

edit: ^^^^^ Holy poo poo, it's Willitus. It's like a summer 09 reunion in here

xau
Oct 20, 2002

Crashed fifteen hundred and seven systems in one day. Biggest crash in history.
Stop making it such a big deal. Play a game, have fun, move on. If you play Guitar Hero and don't get a perfect score, do you spend 4 hours going over what you did wrong? If there's a weekly poker game for play money at someone's house, do you buy a bunch of poker puzzle books and study them? Do you hire professional basketball players to come lecture you when you lose a game of horse against your neighbor? Do you force yourself to play Mario Kart at least once a day?

I thought it was the prevalence of rankings that made people take go so seriously, but I met a guy who refuses to play online and has never really played rated games. Yet he still acts like playing is some kind of spiritually fulfilling act, like Catholics going to confession or something. As long as he's playing regularly and trying to improve, even if he doesn't feel like it, somehow that makes everything right in the world. And I wasn't surprised the slightest bit, because everyone who plays go is either asian, over 40, or totally loving psychotic.

Go is a game, it doesn't have any special meaning, it doesn't matter. Play it, enjoy it. Improving your go skills will probably never make any meaningful difference in your life. Sometimes it's fun, but if you're forcing yourself to play or study or do problems or whatever, you're doing it wrong. It's a hobby, not a religion.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

xau posted:

because everyone who plays go is either asian, over 40, or totally loving psychotic.

:negative:

I completely agree with your post, not that I also don't take go too seriously. Still it's just a hobby. I buy books and solve puzzles because it's fun. Lately it's been more fun for me to solve puzzles than play so that's what I've been doing.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
Uh oh, I'm not Asian or over 40.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

xau posted:

Go is a game, it doesn't have any special meaning, it doesn't matter. Play it, enjoy it. Improving your go skills will probably never make any meaningful difference in your life. Sometimes it's fun, but if you're forcing yourself to play or study or do problems or whatever, you're doing it wrong. It's a hobby, not a religion.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply anything like that. I was just worried I'd get sucked into Go like some people get sucked into WoW.

By the way, did a Go fanatic kill your dog or something, because you seem really bothered by their existence.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

i don't actually enjoy playing go, i just like seeing my rank change

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

i don't actually enjoy playing go, i just like seeing my rank change

Have you considered Progress Quest? It's pretty deep for a "watch your rank change" game.

xau
Oct 20, 2002

Crashed fifteen hundred and seven systems in one day. Biggest crash in history.

helopticor posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply anything like that.
I was looking at that other guy when I said all that stuff.

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
i avoid playing go because i am literally crazy

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

xau posted:

I was looking at that other guy when I said all that stuff.

If you're talking about me then i didn't mean to come across as if studying go was a duty or something. I really, really enjoy both playing go, and I also enjoy watching myself improve. If I've set a goal at improving at go, why shouldn't I want to study more? To take your example, if you enjoy poker and enjoy getting better at it, then yes, you would study poker books. Sure your skill progression might not make any "meaningful difference in your life", but it's fun to realize that you can do something now that you couldn't before.

Also, while I am half-Asian, my Asian side didn't have anything to do with me starting go. In fact, I think I discovered go on these forums.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Why does everyone have to upset the applecart?

ThePineapple don't take Xau too seriously.

Cybermg
Jul 1, 2005
I'm pretty sure he's referring to me. I generally do take Go too seriously, or I typically wouldn't have to "gather the courage" to start a new game. I'm not quite sure what makes the experience so stressful - whether it's the fact that any wrong move might cancel out all of the effort I've put in so far, the helpless feeling you get when you're totally outmatched, or the fact that some non-anglophone player is going to start yelling out insults in broken english when you make a bad move. It's partially the feeling that I need to uphold some sort of standard of play when I'm up against some random person - that feeling would probably go away if I played games in real life.

And meanwhile in the downtime between games, I'll feverishly review the history and pinpoint the exact places I made my mistakes, or cry out desperately for help in the halls of ITGO.

All of this may sound like a miserable, torturous experience, but I actually quite enjoy it. Just remembering all of this makes me want to get back into it again - I've already got another tab opened to goproblems.com.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I don't think xau is talking about anybody in particular here. It seems to me most go players in KGS are like that, they take go WAY too seriously, it's ridiculous. When I was learning to play there was this guy I beat like once, and because we were almost the same rank (22k I think) he got obsessed on beating me. He told me he was buying chinese go books, it was so stupid... I blame anime for the rival bullshit.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

http://files.gokgs.com/games/2010/6/1/oiseaux-jc744.sgf

Never Taunt Your Opponent Even If You Are Kicking His rear end

Wrojin
Nov 10, 2008

Quixoticist
I haven't played Go in ~15 years. I learned in the mid-70's, played clubs and tourneys, and got to around 4kyu (Canada). I've been too embarrassed to play online because I'm so rusty, and it seems weird not to have my opponent sitting across from me.

I'm miserable with bronchitis right now, but maybe later this week I'll make an account on KGS and see if I can bloody up some goons.

I do have something to share beyond idle threats, though. Here's a script for *nix users to download some pro games. I've collected around 8K games with it. It's a good way to keep up to date: just run it weekly or monthly.

http://www.godiscussions.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7649

Also, how does gnugo compare with other Go AIs out there? Maybe I'll try warming up with it.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Wrojin posted:

Also, how does gnugo compare with other Go AIs out there? Maybe I'll try warming up with it.

You should annihilate it pretty easily, I played a gnugo a few weeks ago and almost managed to get a full-board kill at 2k

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

Wrojin posted:

I haven't played Go in ~15 years. I learned in the mid-70's, played clubs and tourneys, and got to around 4kyu (Canada). I've been too embarrassed to play online because I'm so rusty, and it seems weird not to have my opponent sitting across from me.

I'm miserable with bronchitis right now, but maybe later this week I'll make an account on KGS and see if I can bloody up some goons.

I do have something to share beyond idle threats, though. Here's a script for *nix users to download some pro games. I've collected around 8K games with it. It's a good way to keep up to date: just run it weekly or monthly.

http://www.godiscussions.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7649

I wouldn't worry about being embarrassed since no one knows what level you played at. I would just dive in; playing against bots isn't particularly fun.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Trip Report Time! Last week or so, I thought I'd try something new, and decided to get a lesson from some good go player in Hong Kong. I ended up getting one from Yang Shi Hai (Chinese 8 dan professional). He played a 9 stone teaching game with me yesterday. Maybe it was nerves or something but I felt like I played really badly. In fact, I knew I played pretty badly when he showed me all the mistakes from my game :) . I was okay for most of the game, but he managed to get one of my weaker groups into a fight, and after a failed struggle for life I lost a huge group and resigned. Wasn't the best for a learning experience, as I don't speak much Chinese and he doesn't speak much English, but it was interesting nonetheless.

After I played him, he suggested I play this little girl who couldn't have been more than 10 years old who also happened to be there; she was apparently a low dan level player. We played even, and I lost by a very close margin - if she really was a dan player I suspect she was going easy on me :) . Afterward, the teacher said he estimated me as a 3 kyu by Hong Kong standards. Not too bad, I guess.

If anyone is curious, here is the website of Yang Shi Hai 8p. To see some of his games, go to the top left drop down menu (個人簡介), and select the choice second from the bottom (我的棋譜). There are some pretty nice tournament games against other notable players.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I always get hosed over in high handicap games because I have a bad habit of playing the move that I think Needs To Be Played rather than the one that, you know, would make my position thick or secure the profit I needed :shobon:

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
So here's a couple questions for you guys.

I generally play with a heavy focus on building influence. However, influence doesn't necessarily mean territory. If I want to improve my go, I feel like I need to start focusing on influence less and on invading and defending against invasions, so that I can start using the influence I build more effectively.

Is that a correct assumption?

Second, if I'm correct in my feeling, then probably "Attack and Defense" would be a good book to look into. Is there something else you guys would recommend more?

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn

Coca Koala posted:

I generally play with a heavy focus on building influence. However, influence doesn't necessarily mean territory. If I want to improve my go, I feel like I need to start focusing on influence less and on invading and defending against invasions, so that I can start using the influence I build more effectively.

Second, if I'm correct in my feeling, then probably "Attack and Defense" would be a good book to look into. Is there something else you guys would recommend more?

It looks like Attack & Defense is pretty good about explaining how to use influence and the balance of power and territory

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Coca Koala posted:

This is just a question of how you like to play. If that's how you like to play you can learn to play that way more effectively or if you want to change it up you can learn to play more for territory. Learning about both also helps focus on how to use your style better against others. A&D is always a good book to read. I need to read it again myself.

Crumpets
Apr 30, 2009
Thanks for the game, kayak, you poo poo talking scum bag! (I mean this in the nicest possible way.) We'll have to play again some time :)

Prodigious
May 6, 2007
On an epic quest to find spiky rocks to upgrade my club
leaving for the european go congress tomorrow. 2 weeks of go~~ my goal is to beat as many french people as possible

You are Jennifer
Dec 25, 2008

Prodigious posted:

leaving for the european go congress tomorrow. 2 weeks of go~~ my goal is to beat as many french people as possible

Good luck Prod, I know you'll leave a swath of crushed croissants and broken baguettes in your wake.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Prodigious posted:

remember to say "ne pleure pas" at the end of each game. good luck prod!!!~

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

bp prodi-sensei :supaburn:

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
i was wondering where prod went. goonspeed

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Good luck prod all the hopes of itgo rest with you

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm guessing this crazy anime poo poo means I'm in the right room on KGS. Nobody's on though :(

I used to play go a lot, I mean a LOT when I was a kid - read books on attack and defense and such in middle school/high school, played it online, but now it's been like 6-7 years since I really played. I was rated a long time ago at 9k, but now I am probably a horrible horrible player and I want to play with people who will not think I am retarded for this!

I'll be around anyway, play go with me pleasssseeee.

e: I took the test cold and got european 6k, which I am happy with V:shobon:V

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Anyone know of any online store located in China that sell go equipment internationally?
Shipping from China to Europe is often rather cheap so I'm trying to find out some nice kits.