Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hazlen
May 5, 2007
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

So where do you buy those crush washers for when you change your oil anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010
Does anyone know what the normal engine temp range should be? I was riding yesterday, and my Trail Tech Vapor gauges started flipping out that my engine was too warm, at 225 degrees. But Tsaven wired them in, and he doesn't actually know what the normal temp range is, so I think he made it up...

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

modify_evolution posted:

Does anyone know what the normal engine temp range should be? I was riding yesterday, and my Trail Tech Vapor gauges started flipping out that my engine was too warm, at 225 degrees. But Tsaven wired them in, and he doesn't actually know what the normal temp range is, so I think he made it up...

That's a bit unusual, as far as I know ninja 250s usually run very cool, at least according to the stock gauges. Is the fan kicking on at any point?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

modify_evolution posted:

They go off a little early because they assume you have a manual fan. I wouldn't get concerned until it goes over 240, which is the danger mark on the trailtechs. The fan should kick in around 230ish.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Ah, thanks Z3n. I wasn't sure what the safety ranges were, so I set the yellow and red warning lights at 215 and 225 degrees. I'll re-adjust them, and make sure that the fan is coming on when it's supposed to as well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cabledude posted:

So where do you buy those crush washers for when you change your oil anyways?
I just ordered a bunch last time I ordered stuff from Bike Bandit.

Hazlen
May 5, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I just ordered a bunch last time I ordered stuff from Bike Bandit.

I suppose buying 10 at a time sounds like a good idea :unsmith:

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
My friend dropped his 250 twice within 2 weeks. He just got the damage from the first drop fixed, a twisted front wheel. Now the 2nd drop's damage: a bent transmission gear shift that interferes with a rod immediately to the right of it. He doesn't want to get a new one, so we're figuring we'd bend it back. Is it allright to just unscrew it off? I'm assuming hex?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Are you referring to the shift rod that goes from the transmission spline mount to the shift lever? If so, yes, break those 2 lock nuts loose and then it twists out.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I meant the shift lever - it's bent and needs to come out. I'm wondering if it can be taken out just fine...

Hazlen
May 5, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

I meant the shift lever - it's bent and needs to come out. I'm wondering if it can be taken out just fine...

Yes it is removable quite easily.

Radnor
Dec 11, 2002

Octoparrot is watching you.
Can anyone recommend a good place online to buy a 15-tooth front sprocket for a 2006 250, or should I just go to a local dealer and have them order one?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Motorcycle Superstore has always worked well for me:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/5/78/PDVG/Street-Bike-Parts-2006-Kawasaki-Ninja-250R-Parts.aspx

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

I want to rid myself of this thing. Anyone willing to help? Make an offer!

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I honestly think my 250 is cursed. I just got to the last straw on this thing, and I'm gonna sell it.

Since I've gotten my Ninja almost a year ago, it's always had a oil stain on the engine, around the front area. I never noticed any oil-burning smell since I got it. Recently, I cleaned the bike along with the engine for the first time since I got it. Wiped off the slight sheen of oil from the engine, so forth.

So at noon today I'm riding around for about half a hour, and I pull up to my house. Burning oil strikes my nostrils, and I see some white smoke coming off the exhaust header and also dripping into a little 3-inch sized puddle underneath my bike. I look and see that oil has spread over the front and left of the engine, bathing it, just below the engine head. I look at the oil level (changed the oil a few weeks ago), and it's still between the marked levels.

A bit later, I was on the highway for 10 minutes, and when I got to my destination, there was a plume of white smoke boiling off my bike. My left shoe and some of my jeans had been splattered with oil. Oil had went out on the left side and covered the transmission gearshift and other assorted parts, including the side-fairing! It was now dripping onto the ground at a good rate from underneath. I looked closely, and I could see oil seeping out of a hole on the left side of the engine. So apparently oil is coming out from the front (valve cover), and from that hole. I went back home on it (it ran fine) and the oil level was still okay. I plan on cleaning up the whole engine, etc. and giving it a good shakedown in baby powder to ascertain all sources of the oil. The oil drips enough to make a few 1-2 inch long puddles, but stops dripping when the engine's off.

I was supposed to go to Chicago next week with that Ninja, but now... this. :sigh: What kind of fix does this look like?

I think my bike is cursed. Aren't Kawasaki bikes supposed to be reliable? This POS has been giving me a nice long list of problems since I got it. I had just replaced its (cracked) radiator a few days ago too.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 4, 2010

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Have you done a valve check recently? Or anything else that might have fubared a gasket? Could just need whatever gasket is leaking replaced.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Yeah, I did a valve adjustment recently. Someone answered to my call for help on the wonderful ninja250.org. I had thought that the hole on the side signified a different, more fearsome gasket challenge to fix. But the hole apparently leads back to the... valve cover gasket! I'm relieved, but pissed at the same time.

Logue
Nov 16, 2005
So I have a friend who's been riding around a Ninja 250 for the past few months, and is looking to upgrade. The bike he's seriously looking at right now is an.....FZ1. This set off all sorts of warning bells in my head. Having never ridden the 250, I defer to you guys for advice. Would that be a do-able jump in power (nearly 6x the power of the Ninja) or is it a bad idea?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Depends on the rider.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

the walkin dude posted:

I was supposed to go to Chicago next week with that Ninja, but now... this. :sigh:

Aw man, you should have swung by to say hi, Modify_Evolution and you could have gone out for a Ninja 250 ride together. But we're actually going to be in Glacier NP next week :\

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Does anyone know if its possible to rent a 250 around the Seattle area? I want to ride one around for a weekend of something to see how they are. All my friends ride sportsters / cafe racer types so they are no help.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Well, after a valve head gasket replacement, a radiator replacement, valve job, carb cleansing, spark plugs replacement (2x thanks to the leaking gasket)... I'm selling my 250. The last straw for me was a leaking transmission, from underneath. I am sick of the problems with this thing. Cursed machine. I ran out of money to pour into the thing, and now need money from the sale.

I will miss it though. :(

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Guys with the newer version 250's, does yours 'wheeze' occasionally? I think the tank is just venting, but my wifes wheezes out of the tank every.. oh, hour, I'd say. It's a weird noise, and there's no performance problems or anything, just a weird quirk.

Hazlen
May 5, 2007

I've never heard it from my 09 but I understand that more than a few people have reported it.. From what I understand it's just pressure building inside the gas tank from a warm engine beneath it and it vents out of the gas cap.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I just swapped my Cobra F1r's with my girlfriend's roommate for his somewhat rashed Muzzy full exhaust (not yet installed) since I'm selling my 250 yet want to keep the Cobra around for the sonorous vibes. PM me if interested in the Muzzy - $100 for goons.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Cabledude posted:

I've never heard it from my 09 but I understand that more than a few people have reported it.. From what I understand it's just pressure building inside the gas tank from a warm engine beneath it and it vents out of the gas cap.

http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r/107901-gas-tank-noise-elimination-mod-pictures.html

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Fantastipotamus posted:

Guys with the newer version 250's, does yours 'wheeze' occasionally? I think the tank is just venting, but my wifes wheezes out of the tank every.. oh, hour, I'd say. It's a weird noise, and there's no performance problems or anything, just a weird quirk.
Yup. It's just releasing pressure. If you open your gas cap while it's squealing it will release all the pressure and shut up for a short while.

edit: Just got some new toys for the 250 today :)

Also went back to stock gearing (was +1 front before). Going up was nice for commuting but it just kills the bikes power. I'll go back to +1 and BT45's for the winter.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 22, 2010

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Why don't they sell the fuel-injected 250R in the US?

Hazlen
May 5, 2007

IIRC they did not want to go through the process of getting it emission approved so they stuck with the carb'd model.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Fantastipotamus posted:

All the god damned time if it's in the sun. I've just been to lazy to drill out the vent because I don't hear it when I am riding and I don't pose next to the bike while it is parked. Same reasons I haven't done a rear fender eliminator.

-Inu- posted:

edit: Just got some new toys for the 250 today :)

Also went back to stock gearing (was +1 front before). Going up was nice for commuting but it just kills the bikes power. I'll go back to +1 and BT45's for the winter.

Gimme dat ride report. I like my Sport Demons, but a modern tire that doesn't squirm so much when leaned over would be super.
I feel ya on the 15t front sprocket. It's nice around town and on long commutes, but it really kills the bike on mountain roads when you want to have fun. Yeah, downshifting fixes it, but sitting at 12k RPM in 4th doing 55mph isn't exactly blowing my skirt up any more.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
For what it's worth the older ones wheeze too.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

frozenphil posted:

Gimme dat ride report. I like my Sport Demons, but a modern tire that doesn't squirm so much when leaned over would be super.
I feel ya on the 15t front sprocket. It's nice around town and on long commutes, but it really kills the bike on mountain roads when you want to have fun. Yeah, downshifting fixes it, but sitting at 12k RPM in 4th doing 55mph isn't exactly blowing my skirt up any more.
Even with downshifting the bike has almost no torque with 15t, especially going uphill. I had a chance to hit up my favorite road (US19) for a little bit Thursday and between the sprocket change and the new tire I was having a blast.

I'm running a 003 just in the rear because my old 090 picked up a nail and was at the wear bars in the center anyway. So my experience is with a 090 front and 003 rear. I've only put a couple hundred miles on the 003 and less than a hundred up in the twisties (still knobbies on my tire) but god drat it's an incredible difference even coming from the 090. I think one of my forks is tweaked, so the bike isn't completely stable and it was was kind of unsettling on the 090. The 003 on the other hand feels completely planted, and I'm not sure if I've even hit the outermost compound yet (triple compound tires IIRC). Heat up quickly. I got about 4500 miles out of my 090 rear but I'm not sure if the 003 will be more or less than that. It's a stickier tire but it also has multiple compounds whereas the 090 didn't. Fake edit: Bridgestone says more miles than 090. Sweet.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
I'm curious how it handles normal riding on wet roads. If they aren't instant death as soon as the road gets wet I may try them next.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

I'll give ya a trip report next time it rains around here. Unless they're instant death...in which case you can take my lack of future posting as a negative testimonial in that regard.

Hazlen
May 5, 2007

What's the max size tire you can fit on the rear of the newer 250's, 140/70-17? and 110/70-17 for the front correct?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

I've heard of people running 150 BT016's in the rear and a 120 up front, but there's no point. You could probably squeeze a 150 on but you would have to cut/remove the chain guard and even then it would be a very tight fit and would really destroy your turnin. Same for a 120 in front -- it will fit, but it's not going to help you any.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

-Inu- posted:

I had a chance to hit up my favorite road (US19) for a little bit Thursday Monday and between the sprocket change and the new tire I was having a blast. in a huge fuckoff thunderstorm.
Tires preformed well. I wasn't trying to drag a knee or anything but they held their grip and never completely lost traction. At moderate lean angles you could feel where the tread pattern gets sparse and the tire would feel a little squirmy. Overall though it held up to a few hours on wet twisty roads and I never felt uncomfortable on it. Great tire.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
I've got a strange issue, and I'm not sure if I even need to be concerned.

For about two weeks, I've noticed that the engine idles at seemingly-random speeds. Sometimes I'll come to a stop and it'll sit at 1800-2000rpm, and other times it'll drop to 900-1200rpm. It hasn't stalled on me, and there's been no surging or hunting at all (stopped or moving); it's just like a small gremlin is adjusting my idle screw just as I come to a stop, then leaving it there until the next red light.

Is this a problem worth worrying about? If so, where do I start?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Can anyone give me a clear picture where I plug the other end of the Ninja 250 speedometer cable? The fork end is obviously simple, but drat I cannot figure out the other end. I watched 12 minutes of terrible youtube videos and googled with no luck. Even ninja250.org's page about it did not help.

thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Ribsauce posted:

Can anyone give me a clear picture where I plug the other end of the Ninja 250 speedometer cable? The fork end is obviously simple, but drat I cannot figure out the other end. I watched 12 minutes of terrible youtube videos and googled with no luck. Even ninja250.org's page about it did not help.

thanks!

Not sure if you're looking for 08+ or the classic 250s. Here's where you plug connect it on a classic 250. If you remove your front fairing, it will look like this minus the turn signal. Use just a little bit of loctite and it'll stay on forever.

edit: drat it I'm not sure why those extra grey circles are showing up, graphicsconverter sucks apparently. If you need those without the ciricles just let me know and I'll post the originals.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 1, 2010

• Locked thread