Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704682604575368783687129488.html

quote:

But last week the patent office snuffed out the promise of federal recognition. On Tuesday, after questions about the new pot-trademark category from a Wall Street Journal reporter, a patent-office spokesman said the office planned to remove the new pot classification by week's end, and the category is now off the website.

Dammit Baruch Obamawitz you ruin everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
i put in a request for information under 37 CFR 1.166 and they sent me weed so we had to classify it but then it got smoked so we removed the classification hth

(ps: I work on the patent side not the trademark side don't blame me; I don't know anything about what goes on on the trademark side)

e: 1.166 is more applicable to this dumb joke

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.
Anyone able to get the 2011 Vault profiles that came out today?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mookie posted:

Yep, which one do you want?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

entris posted:

I disagree with your characterization that the acquisition of pirated property is equivalent to hard work, unless you mean the hard work of the original creator of the property.

law school: no jobs, die alone and humorless

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
OK animal law sucks and is stupid why am I the SALDF president and doing a grant project on animal law again?

EDIT: Oh yeah because I can't say no to anything because I'm obsessively adding things to my resume despite the fact that nothing will overcome my graduating from a TTT

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Mookie posted:

The new format is a lot of poo poo

Mostly because it was not enough work to require the help of freelance writers :mad:

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Petey posted:

law school: no jobs, die alone and humorless

I think a lot of people treat piracy as though it isn't wrong, but it is, and I try to point that out.

And the way in which I phrased my response was overly verbose on purpose because I was trying to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

entris posted:

I think a lot of people treat piracy as though it isn't wrong, but it is, and I try to point that out.

media pirates are just underdogs in a distributional struggle

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

evilweasel posted:

gotta say I enjoyed rolling into a social security appeal with another summer and an actual associate, in suits and with reams of documents for cases that people usually don't have any sort of lawyer to help them with

Do you mean appeal as in the ALJ hearing or appeal as in appeals council review? (or federal district court :ohdear: )

PS doing Social Security law sucks and there's a reason why you don't have to be a lawyer to represent people there

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Arsteia posted:

media pirates are just underdogs in a distributional struggle

Since this is the law goons thread, I suspect that most people here would agree that people shouldn't unilaterally break a law they disagree with. I'm attacking piracy on rule of law grounds, rather than economic grounds (although I don't concede economic criticisms).

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I approach it from the fact that the only people who care if I download their song instead of pay for it are people who don't need any more money so gently caress them.

And I whole-heartedly support the breaking of laws en-masse if enough people disagree with them.

I guess that makes me a terrible lawyer but then again I'm not a loving lawyer anyway because I don't have a job so who gives a loving poo poo!

e: VVV I think possession of marijuana is this generation's possession of marijuana

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 21, 2010

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

entris posted:

Since this is the law goons thread, I suspect that most people here would agree that people shouldn't unilaterally break a law they disagree with. I'm attacking piracy on rule of law grounds, rather than economic grounds (although I don't concede economic criticisms).

I saw a headline somewhere that suggested piracy was this generation's possession of marijuana -- yes, it's a crime, but one that isn't perceived as particularly malevolent. There may be truth to that.

I think there's a point, though, where even those of us who are risk-averse have to enter into a balancing act between things that are a crime and behaviors we're going to do regardless of criminality. Under Michigan law, seduction of an unmarried woman is a felony.

While I understand "it is a crime, therefore I will not" as a philosophy, an examination of any given jurisdiction's penal code is likely to turn up some absurd results for the legal absolutist.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Defleshed posted:

e: VVV I think possession of marijuana is this generation's possession of marijuana

I think this is an exact quote of me from some pot thread a few months ago.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GamingHyena posted:

Do you mean appeal as in the ALJ hearing or appeal as in appeals council review? (or federal district court :ohdear: )

PS doing Social Security law sucks and there's a reason why you don't have to be a lawyer to represent people there

ALJ, and I don't actually want to do it it's just neat being a fake lawyer even though we still need to be clear we're not admitted.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Alaemon posted:

I saw a headline somewhere that suggested piracy was this generation's possession of marijuana -- yes, it's a crime, but one that isn't perceived as particularly malevolent. There may be truth to that.

I think there's a point, though, where even those of us who are risk-averse have to enter into a balancing act between things that are a crime and behaviors we're going to do regardless of criminality. Under Michigan law, seduction of an unmarried woman is a felony.

While I understand "it is a crime, therefore I will not" as a philosophy, an examination of any given jurisdiction's penal code is likely to turn up some absurd results for the legal absolutist.

I think possession of marijuana is this generation's possession of marijuana, seeing as how it is still illegal.

I think we can make colorable legal arguments for the repeal of many of the "absurd" older laws - eiither right to privacy or some other conlaw argument for invalidation.

I don't think we can make a reasonable argument for the repeal of intellectual property law so that piracy suddenly becomes ok. There's a big difference between legal absolutism and saying that it's wrong to steal other people's property- which is exactly what piracy is, despite young peoples' strange inchoate objections to the contrary.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

entris posted:

I think possession of marijuana is this generation's possession of marijuana, seeing as how it is still illegal.

I think we can make colorable legal arguments for the repeal of many of the "absurd" older laws - eiither right to privacy or some other conlaw argument for invalidation.

I don't think we can make a reasonable argument for the repeal of intellectual property law so that piracy suddenly becomes ok. There's a big difference between legal absolutism and saying that it's wrong to steal other people's property- which is exactly what piracy is, despite young peoples' strange inchoate objections to the contrary.

be coo' man don't be dumping all this crazy legal talk here we just getting some music

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I applied to become a TestMasters instructor this semester, good idea or bad idea? I'm a little worried how I can pull this off with job searching (lol), possible journal, and coursework. On the other hand it pays so well it should be able to cover drinking living expenses sans rent for the spring semester. Would I be in trouble only taking 12 credits in a semester?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
everyone in CA better vote yes on Prop 19

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phil Moscowitz posted:

everyone in CA better vote yes on Prop 19

What does it do?

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

entris posted:

What does it do?

legalize weed bitch

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

entris posted:

I think this is an exact quote of me from some pot thread a few months ago.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Mookie posted:

So did your firm move up, down, or stay the same?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

The Arsteia posted:

legalize weed bitch

This needs to pass so badly. I'm not sure if I'd have the exact same opinion for every state in the Union, but here in CA we need money desperately.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

gently caress the police, gently caress the screws, gently caress big pharma, vote YES on 19

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

entris posted:

There's a big difference between legal absolutism and saying that it's wrong to steal other people's property- which is exactly what piracy is, despite young peoples' strange inchoate objections to the contrary.
Actually,

Dowling v. United States, 473 U.S. 207, 217–18 (1985) posted:

[I]nterference with copyright does not easily equate with theft, conversion, or fraud. The Copyright Act even employs a separate term of art to define one who misappropriates a copyright: ... 'an infringer of the copyright.' ...

The infringer invades a statutorily defined province guaranteed to the copyright holder alone. But he does not assume physical control over the copyright; nor does he wholly deprive its owner of its use. While one may colloquially link infringement with some general notion of wrongful appropriation, infringement plainly implicates a more complex set of property interests than does run-of-the-mill theft, conversion, or fraud.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Defleshed posted:

And I whole-heartedly support the breaking of laws en-masse if enough people disagree with them.

I guess that makes me a terrible lawyer but then again I'm not a loving lawyer anyway because I don't have a job so who gives a loving poo poo!
I think that just makes you a reasonable person.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Ersatz posted:

Actually,

But he was clearly talking about sympathy towards piracy, which indeed is a problem facing our generation. Captain Morgan was not a good guy! (Neither is his rum, to be fair)

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

entris posted:

you and phil mousekewitz are really repping the "crazy old man" vibe hard in the past few pages

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

CaptainScraps posted:

Not a goddamned bit. But I have preconceived notions.

Preconceived notions.

Some transactional work is not adversarial. Other transactional work is ridiculously adversarial. Sometimes the ridiculous describes not the degree of adversariality (technical term) but the fact that being adversarial is ridiculous because the adversarial party will be a division within your client or a sister company that is sort of on the other side of the transaction.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I was playing World of Warcraft last night (it is an awesome fantasy world where I actually have some money ok) and someone was talking about Carbolic Smoke Balls in trade chat.

I asked, and the guy is a 2L at "Drake"... I thought I had heard of every law school but they keep making more

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ersatz posted:

Actually,

quote:

Dowling v. United States, 473 U.S. 207, 217–18 (1985) posted:
[I]nterference with copyright does not easily equate with theft,

That's a very good point, I accept that. Piracy isn't simple theft, it's a more complicated form of criminal activity that involves property rights. My point still stands: it's illegal.

Ersatz posted:

Defleshed posted:

I think that just makes you a reasonable person.

A lot of people in this country disagreed with George Bush's election and with many of the things that he did during his presidency, and yet we didn't see rioting or civil war - people did not just decide to break the law. There were a few soldiers who refused to go along with the stop-gap business, but very few. The Tea Party folks hate Obama, hate his proposed laws, etc, but they aren't just breaking laws in response. In both cases, Americans turn to the democratic process to fix the problem.

Having dissenting citizens just breaking laws is generally a terrible idea for a democratic society. Obviously, there are exceptions to that rule, such as the civil rights movement, but we're not talking about a generation of oppressed young people who are struggling to gain their freedom, we're talking about a bunch of lazy, semi-wealthy young people who don't want to pay for music, movies, and software despite the fact that they have money for housing, electricity, a computer, internet access and probably an mp3 player of some kind.

This isn't about civil disobedience in the face of injustice, this is about young people rationalizing their illegal behavior so that they can get free stuff. This is not a reasonable position, this is a childish position.

Soothing Vapors posted:

you and phil mousekewitz are really repping the "crazy old man" vibe hard in the past few pages

I'm 29! Hardly "old man." But this will be my last post on piracy in this thread.

entris fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 21, 2010

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

following the law is for squares

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I drove two blocks without my seatbelt today while playing YouTube music through my phone to the car stereo's aux :smug:

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Jaywalking: horrible crime, or the horriblingest crime?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Here's a question for all you piracy wieners, what if I bought a Talk Talk CD in high school but now it doesn't work because my visor CD case made it all scratched, is it wrong for me to download My Life (not the No Doubt ver.)

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
hey guys I'm old here are some names of old things for old street cred

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The filesharing we're all pretty much talking about isn't criminal, hth.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Adar posted:

hey guys I'm old here are some names of old things for old street cred

Actually I was playing with GI Joes when Talk Talk was big so I'm pretty much normal aged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I drove two blocks without my seatbelt today while playing YouTube music through my phone to the car stereo's aux :smug: