Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Gladiator re-master is a godsend. Rumor has it we'll see it stateside by year's end.

Screen comparisons:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18918418#post18918418

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeardMilk
Apr 22, 2004

doctor thodt posted:

The Gladiator re-master is a godsend. Rumor has it we'll see it stateside by year's end.

Screen comparisons:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18918418#post18918418

http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/68116/picture:0
http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/68116/picture:1

Looks pretty soft compared to the original version.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Same thing I was thinking.

This jumped out the most.

Looks like the old one had more detail (and film grain/noise)

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sporadic posted:

Same thing I was thinking.

This jumped out the most.

Looks like the old one had more detail (and film grain/noise)
It's also cropped, too? Looking at the size/positioning of the images back and forth.

Or is that the aspect.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.
The new transfer isn't soft, it's just much less processed with sharpening and contrast boosting. It looks like fine grained film stock. The "grain" and "detail" in the older transfer is noise and artifacts. As for the different framing, this happens when you extract 2.4:1 from Super 35. You shoot with a certain margin of error in mind.

Ah, gently caress it. SA did something weird to the imageshack links and I am too lazy to re-host.

Five Cent Deposit fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 17, 2010

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
I hope Kick-rear end falls in price closer to its release. The cheapest I've been able to find it is on Amazon for 23 dollars.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

I hope Kick-rear end falls in price closer to its release. The cheapest I've been able to find it is on Amazon for 23 dollars.
I hope it does too, but it's so weird how jaded I've become with pricing considering how bad prices were for early adopters. I never would have imagined I'd be sitting here saying "23 bucks for a blu-ray, dvd, and portable copy? Ehh... I can wait".

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
The new Gladiator looks far superior. The old one looked like it had grain reduction and then sharpening - so maybe a few details stood out better (no grain to give overall image texture, so the little bits of detail still left are more noticeable, plus the sharpening on top of things), but the image on a whole looked like rear end.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

Best Buy will most likely do a sell price of 19.99 when it comes out. However, this movie is one that I wouldn't even consider the price when picking it up. It's a must have for me.

Also can you guys help me with something?

I was checking out some reviews on bluray.com and it seems that their overall rating is jacked up on several titles. When I look at the PQ and AQ ratings they are four or higher but then the overall is less than four. I know sometimes they factor in the reviewers opinion of the movie but normally the have a bar specifically for that. It seems like the last six or so movies I looked at on there are all overall 3.5 but when you read the review there is nothing bad said at all. Are they just doing a default rating now for the overall or is there something wrong with the site?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Amazon updated the Grindhouse preorder page today.

quote:

Together for the first time the Rodriguez/Tarantino Double Feature GRINDHOUSE is back and better than ever! These rip-roaring and adrenaline-pumping films are now featured in the original theatrical exhibition format. Loaded with over 2 hours of bonus content, including the fan favorite "Rodriguez's 10 Minute Cooking School", this 2-disc Blu-Ray will deliver a new experience like never before!

loving awesome. I can't believe I'm going to get it for $13.99

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I remember a while back we were talking about Fantastic Planet getting a blu release date, but now I can't find anything on amazon. Am I missing something?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

El Jackalope posted:

I remember a while back we were talking about Fantastic Planet getting a blu release date, but now I can't find anything on amazon. Am I missing something?

Comes out July 26th in the UK according to here, not sure about a US release: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/La-planete-sauvage-Blu-ray/11140/

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Lion King is coming Fall 2011. Disney has the worst scheduling ever. 2 animated movies a year just doesn't cut it with a library as big and as popular as theirs.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It could be worse, I'm still waiting for more James Bond movies.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of Disney: Nausicaa looks amazing. Perhaps we'll get a US release by 2015.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A sneak peek at the restoration done on Pandora and the Flying Dutchman.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I haven't seen this posted in the last couple of days, but yay for Paths of Glory:

quote:

Criterion has announced Nobuhiko Obayashi’s 1977 psychedelic ghost tale 'House' for a Blu-ray on October 26.

Criterion will also be bringing Stanley Kubrick's 'Paths of Glory' starring Kirk Douglas on the same date.

Also in Wes Anderson land:

That cover would be amazing without all the quotes.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Harlock posted:

I don't know. I found them magically compelling and gorgeous.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Harlock posted:

Also in Wes Anderson land:

There is a version without the quotes floating around, from some press release I believe. And you know whatever Criterion decides for the actual cover, there won't be a quote anywhere on it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Neo_Reloaded posted:

There is a version without the quotes floating around, from some press release I believe. And you know whatever Criterion decides for the actual cover, there won't be a quote anywhere on it.
Oh yeah, I know their track record and everything, it's just an odd concept art for them (unless someone else gawked it up). I saw the other version too.

I'm excited.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Finally, more Wes Anderson on blu-ray! Hopefully they'll do The Life Aquatic next.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Hopefully they'll re-release Rushmore next :colbert:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

TheDigitalBits posted:

In announcement news this morning, Warner Home Video has revealed that its long-awaited Mutiny on the Bounty: 75th Anniversary Edition will street on Blu-ray Disc on 11/16 in Blu-ray book packaging. This is the original 1935 version, starring Charles Laughton and Clark Gable. Among the extras on board will be the Pitcairn Island Today featurette and a period Academy Awards newsreel.

Before you scoff, this is a terrific film. I'm surprised WB isn't pairing it with the remake, but worth a rental at least. They must have found a new film element since the DVD's transfer is kind of scratched up and hazy.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Warner's output of classics puts every other studio to shame.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Blair Witch Project, High Tension and Open Water will all be released October 5.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Hoo boy! Now we can watch two awful actors tread water for two hours in ~glorious high definition~

gently caress Open Water.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Hoo boy! Now we can watch two awful actors tread water for two hours in ~glorious high definition~

gently caress Open Water.

My Criticker review from long ago:

A couple floats in the open ocean crying for an hour, then one of them (I forget which one) floats by themselves, crying, for a little while. The End!

gently caress Open Water. There's only two movies (out of nearly 3000 I've seen) that I've ranked lower.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Lionsgate seems to have opened the floodgates on catalog titles. They announced four more today.

October 5:
Hard Candy
Bad Lieutenant
Secretary
Wonderland

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Bill Hunt just posted that Paramount will be offering a Gladiator disc exchange once the new version is available, for those unhappy with what they have.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

Space_Butler posted:

Bill Hunt just posted that Paramount will be offering a Gladiator disc exchange once the new version is available, for those unhappy with what they have.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Oh hell and drat yes

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Walmart has some good Blu deals. Lots of Fox $15 2-movie sets... I spotted Patton/The French Connection, Walk the Line/Butch Cassidy, Kingdom of Heaven/Master and Commander, among others.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Sporadic posted:

Secretary

Oh HELL YES.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
According to The Digital Bits, Paramount have announced an exchange program for Gladiator, complete with a contradictory PR-speak bullshit response:

quote:

"We are implementing a limited exchange program. This program is only for those consumers that may have preferential issues with some of the technical DVNR (digital video noise reduction) and EE (edge enhancement) choices made in the original source transfer, and so would prefer to exchange it for one that addresses those preferences in a different manner.

While the version that we originally distributed was of the highest quality, some enthusiasts may prefer to view it without the Edge Enhancement and DVNR implemented as standard process in bringing the film to hi-def. This new master resolves those issues."

Can't they just admit it was a loving piece of poo poo?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

As a recent blu-ray convert, I doubt my shelved DVDs will lose their luster for a good long while, as they still look good on a large, crisp display.

Having said that, Ghibli remasters of older films will make me double-dip so hard that George Costanza's head will explode.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Digital Bits is rumoring that the Apocalypse Now Blu-Ray will include both cuts AND Hearts of Darkness. No mention of the aspect ratio, though.

Also, season 1 of Space 1999 coming this fall.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gl9Hpv_kkI

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I have a quick question. I want to get Memento on blu-ray, but I already have special edition dvd. Does the blu-ray have the same special features/awesome menus as the dvd did? Or is it the same as the lovely one disc dvd?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

According to Wikipedia, it has the commentary but none of the other features.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Max22 posted:

According to Wikipedia, it has the commentary but none of the other features.

Well I guess it joins Terminator 1 and a few others in my stack of poo poo I own on two formats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

The Digital Bits is rumoring that the Apocalypse Now Blu-Ray will include both cuts AND Hearts of Darkness. No mention of the aspect ratio, though.

If they don't include the original cut, and they don't put it on one disc, I will...well, I'll be very angry. :argh:

• Locked thread