Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Here's a question...I have a Bergantino cab and awhile ago on a gig, some drunk knocked it and my Eden head over. Everything was ok, except that the tip of the cable broke off inside the input jack of the cab. Think I could get it out with just some needlenose pliers, or am I gonna have to go to a repair shop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
You could open up the input panel and just push it out from the other side.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Hey, that's not a bad idea...I'll give it a shot.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Here's a q - when I play my E string with any energy I tend to get a clicking sound from the string hitting a fret (I assume). Only happens when the string's fretted. Is this a technique issue, or could the action be too low, or does it happen for everyone?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I was about to ask a similar question... The new bass seems to have a minor amount of fret buzz. I seem to remember the acoustic bass having this too, and the problem just sort of disappearing with time. Is that because my technique improved over time, or should I be looking at raising the action on the new bass?

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

baka kaba posted:

Here's a q - when I play my E string with any energy I tend to get a clicking sound from the string hitting a fret (I assume). Only happens when the string's fretted. Is this a technique issue, or could the action be too low, or does it happen for everyone?

It's most likely a combination of your style and the action of your bass. You can either raise the action (via truss rod/bridge saddles) so you can dig in to your heart's content, or you can change your technique to compensate for it. Most likely when you're plucking the strings you're pushing the string into the body of the bass rather than pulling it up toward the ceiling.

The reason it only happens when you fret a string is because the relief of the neck (how much it curves) is probably fairly low. Loosening the truss rod and allowing the strings to pull more of a curve into the neck can solve this problem, but too much can throw off the intonation of your bass as well as the action. Not knowing what kind of bass you have, the specific info here may not help, but it's a good general setup guide. If you decide to adjust the truss rod yourself (really not that scary), just turn it no more than a quarter-turn at a time and give it some time (I usually wait at least an hour or two) to settle in between adjustments.

EDIT: Keep in mind doing any of this will adjust the intonation on your bass, which is also easily fixable with any sort of do-it-yourself propensity. This is also explained in the link I posted.

Plastic Snake fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 21, 2010

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah, the sound is exactly what you get if you fret a note and then hit the string directly down into the fretboard, and I just tried plucking really carefully upward and it does help a lot, thanks! So bad technique really, or can you expect a bit of that anyway? I'm pretty new to bass so I want to nip bad habits in the bud like I never did when learning guitar.

I really need to get a setup done for it anyway, just so I know how a bass should feel - the intonation's already horrible but it could be the strings too (I got it second-hand). But in general, clicky clicky click click is not a normal part of playing a bass, right?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Yeah, the sound is exactly what you get if you fret a note and then hit the string directly down into the fretboard, and I just tried plucking really carefully upward and it does help a lot, thanks! So bad technique really, or can you expect a bit of that anyway? I'm pretty new to bass so I want to nip bad habits in the bud like I never did when learning guitar.

I really need to get a setup done for it anyway, just so I know how a bass should feel - the intonation's already horrible but it could be the strings too (I got it second-hand). But in general, clicky clicky click click is not a normal part of playing a bass, right?

If you are in Korn it is :v:

Intonation is pretty easy to do if you have a good tuner I think in the new to guitar thread some one just posted a good how-to intonate guide.
New strings can't hurt either.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Plastic Snake posted:

It's most likely a combination of your style and the action of your bass. You can either raise the action (via truss rod/bridge saddles) so you can dig in to your heart's content, or you can change your technique to compensate for it. Most likely when you're plucking the strings you're pushing the string into the body of the bass rather than pulling it up toward the ceiling.

The reason it only happens when you fret a string is because the relief of the neck (how much it curves) is probably fairly low. Loosening the truss rod and allowing the strings to pull more of a curve into the neck can solve this problem, but too much can throw off the intonation of your bass as well as the action. Not knowing what kind of bass you have, the specific info here may not help, but it's a good general setup guide. If you decide to adjust the truss rod yourself (really not that scary), just turn it no more than a quarter-turn at a time and give it some time (I usually wait at least an hour or two) to settle in between adjustments.

EDIT: Keep in mind doing any of this will adjust the intonation on your bass, which is also easily fixable with any sort of do-it-yourself propensity. This is also explained in the link I posted.

Also, most manufacturers err on the shallow side when fitting the nuts. If the strings aren't quite properly seated in the slots you may/will get buzz or rattle. You could ask someone with experience to gently increase the depth or width of the affected slots. Don't go ape on this yourself. I'm talking very small adjustments.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Bass question. I have a Fender Jazz bass with an Audere in it. The cavity has been shielded. I usually wrap the ground wire around one of the screws for the control plate, and that tends to work fine. If I leave it loose in the cavity, it causes all sorts of trouble, static, etc etc.

Well, an occasional problem is the ground wire slipping from the screw and causing said issues during a gig. While crackly staticy bass might be nice if I'm doin a noise show, when I'm playin a jazz gig, that's kind of a boner killer.

Can I solder that to the plate itself? I asked someone about getting some electrical tape and taping the ground wire to the control plate. He mentioned an issue with corrosion, and I want to avoid that.

So if I solder it, where should I solder it? Can I solder to the control plate?

At the moment I merely have the ground wire sticking out from the plate and hanging loose. But I'd rather have it look a little neater.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
So I finally have a UPS story, which feels like a rite of passage as a musician and internet denizen. I bought a Danelectro from ebay last week. It was supposed to come in yesterday, but as I checked the tracking I saw "A CORRECT STREET NUMBER IS NEEDED FOR DELIVERY. UPS IS ATTEMPTING TO OBTAIN THIS INFORMATION". They didn't make too much of an attempt, so I decided to call them and straighten it out. I gave them the correct street address, but later I saw this: "RECEIVER STATED THEY DID NOT ORDER AND REFUSED THIS DELIVERY / RETURNED TO SHIPPER". Turns out they didn't actually update my order with the correct number. I guess I should be thankful that whoever they tried to deliver it to didn't just take it, but it's on it's way back to California with no way to stop it (I'm in NC). By the time (if) I get it it will have made 3 cross country trips.

Bass content: Someday this might be mine

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Bass question. I have a Fender Jazz bass with an Audere in it. The cavity has been shielded. I usually wrap the ground wire around one of the screws for the control plate, and that tends to work fine. If I leave it loose in the cavity, it causes all sorts of trouble, static, etc etc.

Well, an occasional problem is the ground wire slipping from the screw and causing said issues during a gig. While crackly staticy bass might be nice if I'm doin a noise show, when I'm playin a jazz gig, that's kind of a boner killer.

Can I solder that to the plate itself? I asked someone about getting some electrical tape and taping the ground wire to the control plate. He mentioned an issue with corrosion, and I want to avoid that.

At the moment I merely have the ground wire sticking out from the plate and hanging loose. But I'd rather have it look a little neater.

I believe that the ground is typically soldered to the bridge. There's usually a little routed tunnel going from the control cavity to underneath the bridge for that purpose.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Scarf posted:

I believe that the ground is typically soldered to the bridge. There's usually a little routed tunnel going from the control cavity to underneath the bridge for that purpose.

Yes, there's a channel that goes from the electronics compartment to just under the bridge. It's usually not soldered, though. The pressure from the bridge keeps it in place. That's how it is on my old '72, and I don't think they ever changed it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Get a ring terminal and clamp that to the wire, then have the screw go through it like it did when you would wrap it around the screw. Once the terminal is clamped securely to the wire(you can even solder it on) it will never come off.

Like this:

should be able to get it at any hardware store or Radio Shack.

Bourbon
Sep 17, 2006

Isn't someone here sponsored by Lakland? I'm looking for some opinions. So let me pose the question: Why would you (personally) choose something like a Lakland Skyline 44-01 over something like an Ibanez SR750? Or would you? They both have Bart MK1s and are close in price..

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Bourbon posted:

Isn't someone here sponsored by Lakland? I'm looking for some opinions. So let me pose the question: Why would you (personally) choose something like a Lakland Skyline 44-01 over something like an Ibanez SR750? Or would you? They both have Bart MK1s and are close in price..

Yep, I'm an endorsing artist for Lakland.

I'd personally go with the Lakland just because the build-quality will be drat near flawless. And if not, Lakland has probably the best customer service in the industry and will bust their own asses to correct anything that might go wrong. Also, best drat necks out there. So comfortable. You also have the option of stringing through the body with Lakland's bridge. Also I believe Ibanez uses medium frets where Lakland uses smaller, vintage frets (which I'm a huge fan of).

Granted the Ibanez seems to have more exotic woods, but I'm often (and perhaps incorrectly) skeptical about exotic woods offered at low-to-mid price points. That isn't any kind of knock on Ibanez, I'm a big Ibby fan as well; I've never played an Ibanez I didn't like.

This really is a tough choice though, meaning I don't think you could go wrong with either, and ideally you should play both before purchasing, but I know that isn't always possible. It may just come down to styling as well.

The only reasons I would give the edge to Lakland would be the feel of the neck and the fact that I'm continuously floored by their build-quality and playability. Hence me becoming an endorsing artist...

Edit: Not sure if Ibanez has sound samples up, but you can check out samples of the 44-01 right here: http://www.lakland.com/ac_4401.htm

Scarf fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 22, 2010

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
MTD Kingston series basses 50% or more off on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_ex_n_1?rh=n%3A11091801%2Ck%3Abass+guitar%2Cn%3A!11965861%2Cn%3A11971311%2Cp_8%3A2229048011%2Cp_4%3AMTD+Kingston&bbn=11971311&keywords=bass+guitar&ie=UTF8&qid=1279826756

Also, I'm acquiring another bass soon, but will be offloading some gear to offset the costs. I'll post up pedals and such in the gear trades section in the next few days.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Schatten posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref...&qid=1279826756

Also, I'm acquiring another bass soon, but will be offloading some gear to offset the costs. I'll post up pedals and such in the gear trades section in the next few days.

Fixed your link.

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
An '04 Mac user from the UK. What's worse?
Years and years ago my brother bought a Washburn XS2 Axxess Bass for £40 off a friend. I'm wondering if any experts here can tell me if it's worth getting it serviced or if I should just get a brand new bass?

Here's what the bass has (and hasn't got) + some questions:

• 24 frets + Comfortable action
• The volume knob has to be right up, any lower and you'll have no sound.
• The input jack is a bit fiddly.
• It sucks for slapping, no "twang" at all, do I need some lighter strings?
• The sound varies with pick, fingers, slapping, etc. Will new pickups make the bass sound better?

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

I consider myself more of a guitar player but lately I've been getting more and more into the bass and would like to make it my "main instrument". Before I can do that, I'd like to have the right gear first.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

micropenis posted:

Years and years ago my brother bought a Washburn XS2 Axxess Bass for £40 off a friend. I'm wondering if any experts here can tell me if it's worth getting it serviced or if I should just get a brand new bass?

Here's what the bass has (and hasn't got) + some questions:

• 24 frets + Comfortable action
• The volume knob has to be right up, any lower and you'll have no sound.
• The input jack is a bit fiddly.
• It sucks for slapping, no "twang" at all, do I need some lighter strings?
• The sound varies with pick, fingers, slapping, etc. Will new pickups make the bass sound better?

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

I consider myself more of a guitar player but lately I've been getting more and more into the bass and would like to make it my "main instrument". Before I can do that, I'd like to have the right gear first.

The lack of "twang" is most likely due to the strings being old. You don't necessarily need "lighter" strings, just brighter strings. If you want maximum amount of brightness and zing, get some stainless-steel roundwounds, DR Hi-Beams for example.

Before you decide on throwing new pickups in there, try it with the new strings first. You'd be surprised at the WORLD of difference a new set of strings can make. From there you'll get a better idea whether or not you want to put some new pickups in.

And even then, if you buy used, new pickups are really a minimal investment. So if the bass is comfortable to play and you don't really want to throw down much more money just yet, then yeah, invest a little more money in this one. And new pickups are something you can always take with you from bass-to-bass if you find a set you like. Just keep the old ones on hand to throw back in there if you ever try to off-load it.

As for the electronics, if you're comfortable with a soldering-iron, I'd say open up the cavity and cleanup the pots and wiring with some fresh connections. If that doesn't work then you may need to replace the pots (which are dirt-cheap to do so).

Honestly, I love a good little project to work on, so if it were me, I'd fix it up. It doesn't sound like it needs anything too drastic and could be a fun little DIY project.

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
Thanks for the quick and informative reply! :)

I'll order some new strings tonight and will test them out next week. I too love a good DIY project, unfortunately I don't quite have the skills and have never used a soldering iron. I know some people that can help me out though.

Will hold off on the pickups just now but are there any you can recommend off the top of your head?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

micropenis posted:

Thanks for the quick and informative reply! :)

I'll order some new strings tonight and will test them out next week. I too love a good DIY project, unfortunately I don't quite have the skills and have never used a soldering iron. I know some people that can help me out though.

Will hold off on the pickups just now but are there any you can recommend off the top of your head?

What kind of music are you into? Do you want a more modern or vintage type of sound?

I'd definitely get in touch w/ some friends to help you out. This could be a good bass to learn some repair/modification skills on. Hell, down the road you could route it near the bridge to add like a Jazz bass pickup or something else. That's what cheap basses are made for... modification.

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004

Scarf posted:

What kind of music are you into? Do you want a more modern or vintage type of sound?

I'd definitely get in touch w/ some friends to help you out. This could be a good bass to learn some repair/modification skills on. Hell, down the road you could route it near the bridge to add like a Jazz bass pickup or something else. That's what cheap basses are made for... modification.

I'd rather a more modern sound for pop/rock kind of stuff. Not into playing metal stuff much. I do enjoy learning some "funk" basslines from time to time (see Fat Larry's Band - Act Like You Know) and I've got a Digitech fuzz pedal for anything that needs that extra kick (or if I am playing along to some Ben Folds Five songs..)

I'm looking forward to pimping out the Washburn though. Couldn't see myself modding a Fender Telecaster without squealing.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Are there enough bassists in here to justify a Favourite Songs To Play thread? I'm in the market for some fun bass parts

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

baka kaba posted:

Are there enough bassists in here to justify a Favourite Songs To Play thread? I'm in the market for some fun bass parts

The first 6 notes of Crazy Train, forever

Failing that, The Chain

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Anything by Clutch. Also most Opeth stuff.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
"I Want You Back" - Jackson 5 (James Jamerson on bass)

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Most songs by Jamiroquai, e.g. Black Capricorn Day from the easier end of the spectrum.

Also playing Herbie Hancock's Chameleon's bass line forever and ever.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I'm a huge fan of Go Your Own Way (Fleetwood Mac)'s chorus bassline. Kinda melodic, stands on its own and requires just enough talent to get it in time with the rest of the song.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

These Loving Eyes posted:

Most songs by Jamiroquai, e.g. Black Capricorn Day from the easier end of the spectrum.

Also playing Herbie Hancock's Chameleon's bass line forever and ever.

The bass line or the synth line? The actual bass line (comes in at 0:31) is soooooo much more fun than the synth line.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I'm a Sabbath devotee, and I especially love Geezer's lines on their earlier stuff like War Pigs, Fairies Wear Boots, Sweet Leaf, Lord Of This World and Into The Void. Their later albums are too cheesy for me, but tracks like Johnny Blade and Children Of The Sea have excellent bass lines that are a ton of fun to play.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Scarf posted:

"I Want You Back" - Jackson 5 (James Jamerson on bass)

I also love playing that, but the player was Wilton Felder.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

dancehall posted:

I also love playing that, but the player was Wilton Felder.

Huh, learn something new.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

Schatten posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_ex_n_1?rh=n%3A11091801%2Ck%3Abass+guitar%2Cn%3A!11965861%2Cn%3A11971311%2Cp_8%3A2229048011%2Cp_4%3AMTD+Kingston&bbn=11971311&keywords=bass+guitar&ie=UTF8&qid=1279826756

I actually traded in some equipment at guitar center (i know, i know...) yesterday and managed to pick up one of these for $320 dollars! They had it on sale for $800, in nearly mint condition (down to having the stock strings on it), and I had to buy it. It plays and sounds like a dream!

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Scarf posted:

The bass line or the synth line? The actual bass line (comes in at 0:31) is soooooo much more fun than the synth line.

Isn't the one that kicks in at 0:31 the guitar? At least on some of their live gigs the bassist plays only the synth line with slight variations. Oh anyways. :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

These Loving Eyes posted:

Isn't the one that kicks in at 0:31 the guitar? At least on some of their live gigs the bassist plays only the synth line with slight variations. Oh anyways. :)

Nope, that's Paul Jackson on bass :)

The main "bass" line is Herbie on the synth. And yeah, that's usually what I (and most any other bassist) will play unless there's an actual synth/keys player there as well. Take a listen to it though, it's pretty fun. Has some neat little syncopation to it.

Also much later in the song the bass line gets far more interesting and fun to play.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

Fausdinotoly posted:

I actually traded in some equipment at guitar center (i know, i know...) yesterday and managed to pick up one of these for $320 dollars! They had it on sale for $800, in nearly mint condition (down to having the stock strings on it), and I had to buy it. It plays and sounds like a dream!

Ok, so I really need to put new strings on this thing. The band I play in plays death metal, does anyone have recommendations for a good set of roundwounds?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Fausdinotoly posted:

Ok, so I really need to put new strings on this thing. The band I play in plays death metal, does anyone have recommendations for a good set of roundwounds?

I'd say DR Lo Riders. They have a hexagonal core and are a bit stiffer, which would be useful if you're down-tuning.

Edit: Apparently DR now has some bass strings meant for drop-tuning... "DDT" strings. Never tried them though.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

Scarf posted:

I'd say DR Lo Riders. They have a hexagonal core and are a bit stiffer, which would be useful if you're down-tuning.

Edit: Apparently DR now has some bass strings meant for drop-tuning... "DDT" strings. Never tried them though.

Thanks, but we play in standard (imagine that!). I'll try out the Lo Riders then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Fausdinotoly posted:

Thanks, but we play in standard (imagine that!). I'll try out the Lo Riders then.

Hahaha, sorry for stereotyping.

I use Lo Rider nickels on one of my laklands. Plenty bright for me, but you may want to try the stainless steel ones if you want something super bright and cutting. My fingers just can't take stainless, cuts them up to shreds.