Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Be careful taking advice from someone that can't differentiate the mating of two component parts from tasty animal flesh.

Meat engine. Someone call GWS!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

Meat engine. Someone call GWS!!

Seems more like a definition of GBS. :haw:

Oct 2, 2004

ssh posted:

Seems more like a definition of GBS. :haw:

In all fairness to GWS, I don't know where the meat (sculptures?) things started. More than likely GBS, but whatever.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

FogHelmut posted:

This thing is awesome and compact though.

gently caress. I'm going to go look for one of those.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ziploc posted:

gently caress. I'm going to go look for one of those.

Picked up a set Saturday. They are awesome. The ratchet is 1/4" drive on one side, 3/8" drive on the other. Just a really handy set for not much scratch.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

meatpimp posted:

Picked up a set Saturday. They are awesome. The ratchet is 1/4" drive on one side, 3/8" drive on the other. Just a really handy set for not much scratch.

Harbor Freight sells a 1/4" one side 3/8" on the other that has a telescoping handle for extra grunt; $20. It's the best loving tool I own, you can put a deep socket or an extension on the side you aren't using and do your finger-tightening fast like you're using a screwdriver.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Picked mine up tonight :D

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Got around to getting my old beater station wagon inspected then charged the A/C and added some dye(see how big of a leak I have).

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Got my tint back, pretty happy with it.

Old tint: (which I had to remove)

New tint: (and wheels!)

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

Cage posted:

If I didn't see these pictures side by side I never would have even conceived how much of a difference this could make.

I cleaned up the 2K and stuck both sun visors inside since it's going to be the 'has to sit outside now' car. :(

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Replaced the body wiring harness on my dads '76 Triumnph spitfire. Lucas electronics... :supaburn:

He's got FM40002, meaning it was the 2nd car off the production line, meaning it doesn't exactly have a '76 wiring harness. Instead, its got dash mounted winshield washers instead of column mounted ones, and most of the rest is from a 76, but a bunch of the parts are actually from a '75. So we got a wiring harness for a 75, because the washer stuff wouldn't work otherwise. End result? It doesn't work yet. I think we need to jumper pins 11 & 12 on the smiths module, and connect the WO and WR wires at the start interlock relay to essentially make the 76 wiring diagram...

http://www.triumphspitfire.com/images/wiring/75diagram.jpg
VS
http://www.triumphspitfire.com/images/wiring/76diagram.jpg

Note: everything connected to the smiths module (75) / seatbelt timer buzzer (76) is long gone.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009
Picked it up from the shipping company! It has finally completed its voyage from Germany to Florida and is now sitting safely in my garage waiting for me to tint the windows tomorrow!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Cage posted:

Got my tint back, pretty happy with it.

Old tint: (which I had to remove)

You have the best looking modern Oldsmobile I have ever seen.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Cage posted:

I can't wrap my mind around thinking that your car actually looks nice. Maybe a museum will buy it from you :D

MJThompson
Mar 9, 2010

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Got a good deal on some new wheels today.

Liquid Metal Gatlin 20x9.5

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
My mechanic was too busy, so I changed the oil in the TT for the first time today (I'm lazy and hate working with fluids). The plastic undertray was a bitch. Twelve torx screws attach it to the bottom of the car, and four plastic screws attach it to the fender liners. Plus there are tabs to line it up with the front bumper. Getting everything lined up by myself was a pain.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Beach Bum posted:

You have the best looking modern Oldsmobile I have ever seen.

destructo posted:

I can't wrap my mind around thinking that your car actually looks nice. Maybe a museum will buy it from you :D
Im as surprised as you guys are that Im getting compliments for it! Thanks!

I hope this doesn't derail it too bad, but here are a few other pics from earlier today.

Cage fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 21, 2010

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Cage posted:

Im as surprised as you guys are that Im getting compliments for it! Thanks!

I hope this doesn't derail it too bad, but here are a few other pics from earlier today.

Good god. If that thing was RWD I think I'd be in love as far as a cruiser goes.

Still to heavy for my tastes, and it's gotta be manual. :D

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

MJThompson posted:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Got a good deal on some new wheels today.

Liquid Metal Gatlin 20x9.5

Those are 20's? Normally 20's look small on SUV's. Looks good!!

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
My car has been off the road for the last seven or months so tonight I took it out for an Italian tuneup.

It worked well. :)

Oct 2, 2004

I got the water pump in the Echo last night. I actually had an easier time doing the water pump on this car than I did on doing the rear drums on my Vibe. I don't know how that makes any sense, but whatever.

To finally get that old pump out and get the new one in, I unbolted the passenger-side motor mount and jacked up the engine just a little bit. I used a shovel handle to pry the engine away from the frame by like 10mm - just enough to skirt the old one out and new one in.

The problem I have now is that somewhere there's .75 of a liter of antifreeze/coolant missing or something. According to what I've read the Echo should take 4.5L of water, and I only managed to put in one jug which is 3.75L. I've run the car to try and get it to burp any air pockets out, but it doesn't seem to want to. I have the reservoir topped up too, so it's not that. When I unbolted the old pump a lot of coolant came out then, so I can't see how there would be any left in there hiding.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

TrueChaos posted:

Replaced the body wiring harness on my dads '76 Triumnph spitfire. Lucas electronics... :supaburn:

He's got FM40002, meaning it was the 2nd car off the production line, meaning it doesn't exactly have a '76 wiring harness. Instead, its got dash mounted winshield washers instead of column mounted ones, and most of the rest is from a 76, but a bunch of the parts are actually from a '75. So we got a wiring harness for a 75, because the washer stuff wouldn't work otherwise. End result? It doesn't work yet. I think we need to jumper pins 11 & 12 on the smiths module, and connect the WO and WR wires at the start interlock relay to essentially make the 76 wiring diagram...

http://www.triumphspitfire.com/images/wiring/75diagram.jpg
VS
http://www.triumphspitfire.com/images/wiring/76diagram.jpg

Note: everything connected to the smiths module (75) / seatbelt timer buzzer (76) is long gone.

What the hell is a smith's module?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

quadpus posted:

It provides power to the Johnson rod.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

quadpus posted:

It's a British term for the electrical smoke reservoir.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Cage posted:

Olds Coupe

I see that you have the 3.4L DOHC motor. I understand that those motors have belt-driven interference valve trains and that it is very difficult/expensive to replace a timing belt in one of those. Something to make sure to be aware of.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

PBCrunch posted:

I see that you have the 3.4L DOHC motor. I understand that those motors have belt-driven interference valve trains and that it is very difficult/expensive to replace a timing belt in one of those. Something to make sure to be aware of.
I really know nothing about cars more than basic maintenance. In fact, not even that I guess. I know how to change the oil, and replace the brakes.

Are you talking about the situation where if a belt breaks then the engine gets hosed? Or do you just mean its expensive just to replace them so you dont have a problem in the future?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Powershift posted:

to fix:
leaking fuel line(i think) - causing fuel system to deprime when parked - just a couple loose connections on the top of the fuel pump
crank case breather ejecting oil - hope an oil change clears this upturns out this is normal. ran a hose out of it and zip-tied it to the front axle. now it spits oil on the ground instead of all over the engine bay
leaking oil pan gasket - there are drat bolts missing, i really hope that solves it, as replacing the oil pan gasket involves pulling the engine.
front axle seal leak - not major, but i'm probably going to have to pull that diff apart for this one at some point.
center console latch - requires a beating to get it open sometimes. this one has me loving stumped
Air conditioning system recharge
cleaning intake temperature sensor - thing is at the back of the engine, and is a pain in the rear end to get to. thing as a bitch to get to, but it needed to be cleaned, picked up at least .5mpg
drivers side mirror - mirror flops around within the housing, i've currently got it wedged in place using a bunch of pennies wrapped in electrical tape.
parking brake adjustmentso easy, shoulda done it sooner.

lining em up and knockin em out!

SimulatedWoodgrain
Oct 6, 2006

PBCrunch posted:

I have had several 3.4 DOHC cars. The engine gets a worse rep then it deserves. only 96/97 3.4 DOHCs were interference. Older ones *could* tag valves if they were really full of carbon. Timing belt job is a all day affair no matter how you cut it though.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cage posted:

I really know nothing about cars more than basic maintenance. In fact, not even that I guess. I know how to change the oil, and replace the brakes.

Are you talking about the situation where if a belt breaks then the engine gets hosed? Or do you just mean its expensive just to replace them so you dont have a problem in the future?

He means that it's a bear of a job, but you better do it because if it snaps, pistons will (might? Dr. Lexus says the older ones might not) violently introduce themselves to valves.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
Spent almost a half a day yesterday grinding out the bearing shell of a seized spindle bearing. The shell had fused itself into the spindle and refused to come out. What a pain in the rear end.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
After fixing the automatic choke on my Civic and adjusting the fast idle to where it's supposed to be, the fast idle never actually wanted to kick in, meaning the engine won't idle without stalling until it gets warmed up.

I was able to trace the problem to a bad thermoswitch. This is a switch in the engine block that is supposed to be closed when the coolant is below a certain temperature.

So after unhooking the the dead switch, I extended the wires through the firewall to a drat toggle switch on my dashboard. Now I can have perfect idle speed all the time, muhahaha.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

quadpus posted:

I have no idea. I think its kind of like the shifting deamons in automatic transmissions: not quite sure how they work, but if you forget to put them back in all hell breaks loose.

Oh and we sent the 75 harness back, going to see if a 76 works any better. Easier to lengthen wires for the wipers than mess with ignition wiring.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

TrueChaos posted:

I have no idea. I think its kind of like the shifting deamons in automatic transmissions: not quite sure how they work, but if you forget to put them back in all hell breaks loose.

Oh and we sent the 75 harness back, going to see if a 76 works any better. Easier to lengthen wires for the wipers than mess with ignition wiring.

Can you post a picture of it? I'm really curious now. Judging by what plugs into it, it seems like an elaborate safety interlock that you could eliminate with a few bypasses?

Looks like that's pretty much what you'll be doing with the 76 harness anyway.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I would, but we already sent it back. It turns out, after much cursing and many beers, that the old wiring harness is a 76 with the dash mounted wiper switch being the only part of the harness resembling a 75. Oh British electronics...

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Put new tires & the original wheels on my 1980 300cd, put a new exhaust on my 86 Subaru XT a few weeks back. I'm now getting 30mpg on my commute with the XT & more boostu, I suppose it's worth the added rice factor. Not a fart can, I swear!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MATLAB 1988 posted:

That is the sexiest ugly car I have ever seen.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Someone finds ugliness in that? I guess I find it hard to believe since Im such a sucker for 80s boxishness, but that car is hot.

DOTA Uninstaller
Jul 13, 2005
Causing indigestion the world over.
Changed the oil in the Sentra after Seafoaming it. Also jacked up the front end of the 280z, drained the radiator and oil, and while I was at it, put the two front wheels and spacers on. Lowered it back to the floor, and everything fits great.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Put new tires & the original wheels on my 1980 300cd, put a new exhaust on my 86 Subaru XT a few weeks back. I'm now getting 30mpg on my commute with the XT & more boostu, I suppose it's worth the added rice factor. Not a fart can, I swear!

Please continue to take care of your subaru space car. One of my favs here.

I finally got my Sparco Pro 2000 installed in my car just in time for the next event next weekend. Had a mind fart and couldn't figure out how to route the harness. I blame the heat screwing with my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande
(Catchup)

9-3 SE:

Built a small bracket for either side of the cover for the convertible to (gently) hold the carpeting out of the way of the sensors using the existing plugs in the carpet. Now it doesn't throw random 'bleep bleep cant go down 'cuz piece of fabric scares me' warnings. Ordered refurb SID (not gonna drive w/o blinkers and horn). Where the hell am I going to store these winter wheels/tires?

2K8 9-5:

Standard basic 2 hour road trip to keep everything lubed up, discovered what the latest drat squeak was - stuffed yet more foam between console and windshield. Considering using expanding foam on the bitch if I ever sell it. Christ, GM.

2K 9-5:

Found my missing 9mm open box end finally, it fell into the 'need to build a bracket for that' driver's side seat airbagL That would have left a mark. Still haven't fixed; currently held in place with river rock.