Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

Haven't we seen their kid as it would have been recently? It might have been a hallucination for Guts or something but I remember seeing a page with Casca and a little kid sitting together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PieThief
Apr 9, 2009
Yer mother'sh a whore, Trebek!

Satanos posted:

Haven't we seen their kid as it would have been recently? It might have been a hallucination for Guts or something but I remember seeing a page with Casca and a little kid sitting together.

Is this after they first kinda meet the kid at the beach?

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

I think that might be the moment I'm thinking of actually.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hemish posted:

And the entrails are between his teeth like a romantic rose.

Oh Berserk. :black101:

I think I might have said this before, but that whole arc seems to be closer to some sort of violent libidinal fever dream then something somebody (even a Japanese somebody) would sit down and write.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think I might have said this before, but that whole arc seems to be closer to some sort of violent libidinal fever dream then something somebody (even a Japanese somebody) would sit down and write.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you

The whole Misty Valley Arc was a great bridge between the Golden Age and the Black Swordsman. In the initial volumes where we see Guts after the Eclipse we're not actually given the full details (perhaps because Miura hadn't figured out what they were yet) of Guts fighting for his life from dusk till dawn. However in the Misty Valley Arc there's definitely a point made about how the spirits of darkness drawn to the Brand are weathering Guts down. Misty Valley is also where we get a great 'This is Not for Kids' moral of the story, that the bloody path Guts walks should not be taken lightly or seen as an escape from a regular life.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

A.S.H. posted:

The whole Misty Valley Arc was a great bridge between the Golden Age and the Black Swordsman. In the initial volumes where we see Guts after the Eclipse we're not actually given the full details (perhaps because Miura hadn't figured out what they were yet) of Guts fighting for his life from dusk till dawn. However in the Misty Valley Arc there's definitely a point made about how the spirits of darkness drawn to the Brand are weathering Guts down. Misty Valley is also where we get a great 'This is Not for Kids' moral of the story, that the bloody path Guts walks should not be taken lightly or seen as an escape from a regular life.

It's been 6 or 7 years since I read it, but doesn't the story end with Guts saying "this is not for kids, we all have our own struggles to fight?" I remember the surviving girl going back to her (not very happy) existing life determined to change it for the better.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's been 6 or 7 years since I read it, but doesn't the story end with Guts saying "this is not for kids, we all have our own struggles to fight?" I remember the surviving girl going back to her (not very happy) existing life determined to change it for the better.

yep that's pretty much how it ends. I think moth girl just flies up into the sky and falls apart or something.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I really liked that arc, it's melancholy as hell and actually has a beginning, climax and resolution.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Moth girl craters. Kid goes back and vows to be braver or whatever. Guts literally kills like 1000 babies.

Awesome.

I just re-read that up until the Kushan army starts becoming the focus. I really dislike that. I want more Gutts being awesome, less giant deformed elephants :argh:

And mostly because the kushan arc thats currently going on features a lot of "Remember that raid leader who killed 100s of guys? What was his name?" With Gutts standing right there.

Fuckkkkkkkk you're awesome gutts, let everyone know :(

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Speaking of little girls. I'm hoping that we're going to get an arc about Theresia's revenge. If my estimations are close, it's been a couple of years since Guts killed her dad.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

You're right, it has been. Huh, feels longer. I always forget that Guts is only in his mid or late 20s, mainly because he looks feaking ancient after all the stress.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Satanos posted:

You're right, it has been. Huh, feels longer. I always forget that Guts is only in his mid or late 20s, mainly because he looks feaking ancient after all the stress.

What do you expect if you're a rape victim who also watches the one girl whom you ever had a thing for get raped in front of you as torture against you.

He's earned those crows feet in blood.

nondeviant
Mar 14, 2005

Life's not fair, but at least it has a sense of humor.

Andrigaar posted:

What do you expect if you're a rape victim who also watches the one girl whom you ever had a thing for get raped in front of you as torture against you.

He's earned those crows feet in blood.

I daresay Berserk would give SoIaF a run for its money as to which is the more rapetastic series.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

nondeviant posted:

I daresay Berserk would give SoIaF a run for its money as to which is the more rapetastic series.

I had to google that acronym. And then realized the first book of that is chilling in my shoulder bag waiting to be read... so it's full of rape and death, eh? Gonna be a fun series until it jumps the shark as I've heard it painfully does.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Rape, dead, and lemoncakes.

Macheath
Jun 14, 2000

I am hope.

Andrigaar posted:

I had to google that acronym. And then realized the first book of that is chilling in my shoulder bag waiting to be read... so it's full of rape and death, eh? Gonna be a fun series until it jumps the shark as I've heard it painfully does.

It doesn't jump any sharks. It's just been five years since the last book, and 80% of the fans of the series are too bitter for their own good.

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy
These two authors should totally team up and do an epic fantasy saga, written by GRRM and illustrated by Miura a whole lot of nothing. Miura could bring the Idolmaster games and GRRM could bring the lemoncakes.

I guess that's too harsh though, at least Miura is getting something done.

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008

Satanos posted:

The same conversation has been going on at Mangahelpers and apparently he is early 20's, like around 22.

nondeviant
Mar 14, 2005

canned_fruit posted:

The same conversation has been going on at Mangahelpers and apparently he is early 20's, like around 22.

In ye olden days, that's like being middle aged right there.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I don't know if it's been posted here yet but spoilers apparently confirm again that there will be a break after the next chapter.

So yeah, once again, 3 chapters then an extended break.

It will never, ever be finished.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Mr. Deathy posted:

I don't know if it's been posted here yet but spoilers apparently confirm again that there will be a break after the next chapter.

So yeah, once again, 3 chapters then an extended break.

It will never, ever be finished.

Do I need to read the first 50 pages or could I just ask here for someone to explain to me (or link a page) as to why this artist is so slow with Berserk? Berserk is pretty popular, right? Why not cash in on this one?

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Hemish posted:

Do I need to read the first 50 pages or could I just ask here for someone to explain to me (or link a page) as to why this artist is so slow with Berserk? Berserk is pretty popular, right? Why not cash in on this one?

Personally I prefer to think it's just a combination of these 2 reasons.

1. He's getting older (mid 40's), maybe it's slowing him down since he still has insane detail.
2. Perhaps his motivation has declined a lot over the years and he only keeps going so it's finished some day.

Unfortunately the assumption most people make, based on his comments regularly published in the Young Animal magazine that Berserk features in, is that he's became an increasingly lonely and obsessed Otaku who spends all his time playing "Idol Master" and other creepy videogames instead of working on the series.

Whatever the case I expect money is already a non-issue for him, he probably gets by enough on sales of the pre-existing volumes.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The issue is I think less that he's getting older so much that the art quality has VASTLY increased as it went on. He really needs to tone it back if he wants to produce things faster.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Zorak posted:

The issue is I think less that he's getting older so much that the art quality has VASTLY increased as it went on. He really needs to tone it back if he wants to produce things faster.

Well that's kind of what I was going for. It's a combination of the fact that not only is he aging, but he's still maintaining the highest possible standard for the art.

I'd say it's been at the same level for roughly the last 7-8 years or so, but he's never once shown any evidence that he'd be willing to compromise the art quality to increase the speed of releases.

I think aging inevitably comes into play a little though for why he can't maintain art quality and speed. The vast majority of humans are a bit less enthusiastic about life as they get older and of course no one can stop age taking its toll on their body. I know shitloads of artists though work on comics into their 50's, 60's and beyond even, but it still wouldn't surprise me if after so many years of doing Berserk at such a level of detail, it has taken its toll on his wrist a bit.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me

Mr. Deathy posted:

Well that's kind of what I was going for. It's a combination of the fact that not only is he aging, but he's still maintaining the highest possible standard for the art.

I'd say it's been at the same level for roughly the last 7-8 years or so, but he's never once shown any evidence that he'd be willing to compromise the art quality to increase the speed of releases.

I think aging inevitably comes into play a little though for why he can't maintain art quality and speed. The vast majority of humans are a bit less enthusiastic about life as they get older and of course no one can stop age taking its toll on their body. I know shitloads of artists though work on comics into their 50's, 60's and beyond even, but it still wouldn't surprise me if after so many years of doing Berserk at such a level of detail, it has taken its toll on his wrist a bit.

Maybe if he kept spending the same amount of time on the characters it'd be fine. Hindsight is 20/20 but I remember the main characters and their clothes/armor were always super high quality in terms of art. He never seemed to spend so much drat time on everything else.

The problem starts when he's drawing each individual brick in a huge church with minute details spent on the texture of each brick.

I admire him for being uncompromising about the art quality. And, hes only 45 (hey, his birthday was 10 days ago), so in theory we could see the end before he turns 70. He should take a page out of Yoshihiro Togashi's book and do like the beginning of the Chimera Ant arc, wale out a poo poo load of chapters that advance the story a bunch then go back to normal art quality when it gets to the important bits.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I'm kinda concerned because the events on Cthulu island seem like filler. This story is already taking way too long to complete; we don't need to be getting sidetracked like this.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I love the art quality but not that much that i want to see an another years worth of two page spreads of the Kushan army and Griffith.

Cowboy posted:

And, hes only 45 (hey, his birthday was 10 days ago), so in theory we could see the end before he turns 70.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me

Forest Fuckery posted:

I love the art quality but not that much that i want to see an another years worth of two page spreads of the Kushan army and Griffith.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

In November we'll see the 20th Anniversary of Berserk. Doesn't that put it up there as one of the longer running mangas (in terms of time)?

Cronus
Mar 9, 2003

Hello beautiful.
This...is gonna get gross.
Looks like 315 shows the return of the Berserker Armor ready to cut poo poo up.
316 will not be in the following issue of YA :smith:

The King of Bavaria
Jul 23, 2007

Kaiser Wilhelm is my homeboy.
Seriously, we play chess every Thursday.

Cowboy posted:

In November we'll see the 20th Anniversary of Berserk. Doesn't that put it up there as one of the longer running mangas (in terms of time)?

drat, I feel sorry for him.

Even if the series is a labor of love. Berserk has taken up almost half of his life and Miura himself only knows how much longer. Maintaining the quality of both the art detail and the story, that has to be alot of pressure. I can see how that would kill someones motivation after a long time.

Add in the fact that if he did try to work another project. One of the first questions would be about Berserk and something to the effect of why it is not finished. I could imagine how that could piss some one off.

As much as I hate to say this, if he needed to put Berserk on hold for a while to do something else. Then comeback with a drive to finish the series I could take it.

This trend of 3 chapters every 4 months is driving me crazy.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'd rather have a self-contained and complete Miura story of any kind than more Berserk filler, to be honest.

Although extensive development of Guts' new crew followed by direct conflict between Guts and Griffith-as-God-King would be better still. Or something that actually moves the plot along instead of mostly faceless armies facing off against each other and monster of the week stuff.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 22, 2010

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I bet you guys thought the troll arc was filler too huh

WHY ARE THEY FIGHTING TROLLS WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING

Also, the Hawk facing the Kushans was pretty drat relevant to the plot.

This arc is no less filler than any other arc in Berserk. We have had a LOT of arcs of "Guts takes on horrific nightmare, builds setting in process and learns more about self/ group/ whatever"

nondeviant
Mar 14, 2005

Here's a fan wishlist dilemma. Given a choice, would you choose:

Option A:

The long, uncertain resolution where Guts and crew fight their way off Cthulhu island, finally regain their boat to make it to elfland where Guts and Caska have a touching character moment, followed by Guts' departure and subsequent journey of inward reflection on the meaning of his quest as he journeys back to New Griffithland where much ado is being made about the kingdom coming to terms with its new saviour and the world in general coming to terms with its new state of being, with Griffith taking the worldstage as New Demon Jesus and everything seems really-great-but-not-quite-right and them *BOOM* out of nowhere Guts appears to kick the legs out from under the table holding up Griffith's proverbial house of cards and exposing the Big Bad Guy for what he is, followed by the (our time) years-long conflict between Guts and a now revolting human army against the combined forces of the apostles, culminating in a showdown with the Godhand and/or the Idea of Evil, where Guts is obviously going to lose until badass Mr. Skullknight shows up to give him some sort of freaky-deaky insight about causality which allows Guts to put down each of the Godhand in poetically appropriate manners (while Skullknight and Big Brain Godhand duel it out, leading to the demise of both), leaving Guts and Griffith alone to face off in a encounter that's as psychological and emotional as it is physical, whereupon Guts of-course-seeming-about-to-lose sacrifices that last bit of humanity left in his heart to become a (metaphorical) monster himself to strike down the man he loves most in life, freeing the world from tyranny, but leaving the world a broken shell of its former self (now also reflected by our protagonist), with our last shot of our hero returning to a Caska who is now on the road to mental recovery, but who finds she cannot love the man he's become because blah blah blah.

Option B:

Or you can choose the short resolution where Cthulhu island is really elfland and they have a magic power where they can teleport Guts to Griffith's castle, they have a swordfight, Guts wins comes home and Caska gets better/dies.

If you choose option A, causality dictates that there's a 33% chance each year that Miura will succumb to failing health brought on by too many video games and that will be the end of him and the series. Until that time (or until the very end of the series), the art style, story development and characterization will continue to be metal as gently caress. :black101:

If you choose option B, Miura will finish Berserk by the end of 2011. He's gonna skimp out on drawing a lot of the details, dialogue, development, shading, expressions, etc. and might even decide to trace a few of the new panels from some old ones, but the series will have a finalized conclusion that's mostly satisfying while leaving you saying, "Man, if only..." :saddowns:

Which do you choose? Consider carefully.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zorak posted:

Also, the Hawk facing the Kushans was pretty drat relevant to the plot.

It was relevant to the plot, but it was almost completely distant from anyone we actually have a reason to care about. The reason the giant battle scenes with the original Band of the Hawk worked was because they were heavily interspersed with the relationship between Guts, Griffith, and Casca.

We barely know anything about his apostle army, have only a rough sketch of the Kushan Emperors's life which basically amounted to "it was privileged but horrifying, and now he's a monster." The conflict is relevant to the plot, but one of the characters is a giant cardboard stand for Griffith to knock down, and most of what we see of Griffith is him shining beatifically instead of giving any insight into what he's thinking.

It's still visually gorgeous and an impressive concept, but it's much more spectacle and less substance than a lot of the earlier chapters.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 22, 2010

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

nondeviant posted:

Here's a fan wishlist dilemma. Given a choice, would you choose:

Which do you choose? Consider carefully.

Option C: Everyone gets hit by a truck.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

ArchDemon posted:

Option C: Everyone gets hit by a truck.

Except that Guts let the truck hit him, so that he could use the momentum from the impact to cut another truck in half.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

and most of what we see of Griffith is him shining beatifically instead of giving any insight into what he's thinking.

... that's because he doesn't think anymore in the normal sense. He's a God. The whole point of that military clash and face off with the Emperor was to both establish Griffith's holiness in the eyes of literally everyone, and also totally change the world into something even MORE monstrous.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zorak posted:

... that's because he doesn't think anymore in the normal sense. He's a God.

If true that would make him a really weak character in the literary sense.

I don't believe you're right about that, at least I hope you're not, considering the weird hate/need relationship between Guts and Griffith is one of the cornerstones of the series, especially since Casca's insane now.

Maybe I'm alone on this but I don't really care about the endless monster/person slaughtering for their own sake, I'm in it for the betrayals and interpersonal conflict and love triangles and mutual respect, etc. And even with Guts' new crew, we've been kind of short on that lately.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't believe you're right about that, at least I hope you're not, considering the weird hate/need relationship between Guts and Griffith is one of the cornerstones of the series, especially since Casca's insane now.

Maybe I'm alone on this but I don't really care about the endless monster/person slaughtering for their own sake, I'm in it for the betrayals and interpersonal conflict and love triangles and mutual respect, etc. And even with Guts' new crew, we've been kind of short on that lately.

I agree, wholeheartedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I kinda wish that the Band of the Hawk arc was a lot longer. It was the high point of the series in my opinion.