Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Op Oloop:
http://www.amazon.com/Op-Oloop-Latin-American-Literature/dp/1564784347/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I30C588X2GS9RK&colid=29BBUL28KLDDN

Wow no reviews.. hmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
How about the The man who loved children by Christina Stead? It's just been reprinted after a review by Franzen, so I'm interested in seeing what the fuss is about.

e: or not, since the poll is already up.

knees of putty fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jul 16, 2010

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

maxnmona posted:

Lick around the Outside of my Anus and also on the Inside of my Anus by Nietzsche

I can't find this on Amazon or AbeBooks. :argh:

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

The Machine posted:

I can't find this on Amazon or AbeBooks. :argh:

Look under 'beyond good and evil' :v:

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
Is the how to be pretentious thread a test of some kind? It seems to be drawing out some of the funniest stuff I've seen in a while. Plus, I hope someone ends up quoting Dylar's synopsis of Great Expectations.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
edit: too late for the August suggestions, sorry! Nothing to see here.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

knees of putty posted:

Is the how to be pretentious thread a test of some kind? It seems to be drawing out some of the funniest stuff I've seen in a while. Plus, I hope someone ends up quoting Dylar's synopsis of Great Expectations.

I'll have to check it out. I'd imagine that people could be pretty drat good at that round these parts.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

therattle posted:

I'll have to check it out. I'd imagine that people could be pretty drat good at that round these parts.

Well, I'm reading it as a meta-troll from the OP in an attempt to bring out the usual arguements about genre. But I could be giving him too much credit.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

knees of putty posted:

But I could be giving him too much credit.

Yes, this is the internet, after all.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

knees of putty posted:

Well, I'm reading it as a meta-troll from the OP...

Yes, if that OP isn't pedantbait I'll eat my je ne sais quoi.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

A quick question, are there any organized directories for literary settings? Preferably one that covers the odd sci-fi and fantasy settings and has descriptions? Basically something like this site for historical fiction, except specializing in the fantastic/surreal/unexplored.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Is there a website or something better the google to find pictures/scans of book covers? Like not just first editions, but later covers? I'm trying to find all my old books, but it's tricky since most of them have changed to a clone of Bella and Edward on the cover.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Wedemeyer posted:

Is there a website or something better the google to find pictures/scans of book covers? Like not just first editions, but later covers? I'm trying to find all my old books, but it's tricky since most of them have changed to a clone of Bella and Edward on the cover.

https://www.librarything.com allows for users to upload cover images and, provided you aren't talking about something that has had literally thousands of covers (I'm looking at you, Huck Finn), you're pretty likely to find the one you're looking for.

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down
I have a couple books lined up for me to read, but I don't know which one I should start with first. I've got Rant by Chuck Pahlaniuk, Generation of Swine by Hunter S. Thompson, and Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

KevinHeaven posted:

I have a couple books lined up for me to read, but I don't know which one I should start with first. I've got Rant by Chuck Pahlaniuk, Generation of Swine by Hunter S. Thompson, and Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.

You're on SA, you know the score:

- alphabetical order; sorted LN, FN (beginners)
- position of dust jacket's principal colour on the DuPont scale (intermediary)
- the one that still smells of the last girl lender's shampoo (there, you made it)

Underflow fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 21, 2010

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

KevinHeaven posted:

Generation of Swine is probably the worst of Thompson's books, so I wouldn't start there. It's a pretty dull and uninspired collection of his columns from the San Francisco Examiner in the mid 80s.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Okay guys, pick the order I read the rest of summer reading please. I'll be finishing up A Clash of Kings and From the Left Hand of Darkness this week.

Children of Dune - Frank Herbert
Carrie - Stephen King
The Diamond Age - Neal Stephenson
Perdido Street Station - China Miéville
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey

I feel like that's a solid amount to finish in the next month and a half before school. DECIDE MY FATE: what's first?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

The Machine posted:

Okay guys, pick the order I read the rest of summer reading please. I'll be finishing up A Clash of Kings and From the Left Hand of Darkness this week.

Carrie - Stephen King

I feel like that's a solid amount to finish in the next month and a half before school. DECIDE MY FATE: what's first?

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest may have the additional incentive of freeing you from the desire to read those others. Not being sarcastic here; just thinking of the time you'll save.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

The Machine posted:

Carrie - Stephen King

Haven't read the Diamond Age, but Perdido was pretty lame. Carrie will make a nice appetizer, and Cuckoo's Nest is loving brilliant. Swap it with Perdido if you want to save the best for last.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Diamond Age is good, I didn't finish Children of Dune because it was terrible, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is awesome.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

The Machine posted:

Carrie - Stephen King

Ouch, that's a lovely summer you've got planned for yourself. Read Kesey and then do anything you can to avoid the rest of the crap.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

The Machine posted:

DECIDE MY FATE: what's first?

Going to a library and getting a selection of better books.

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

:derp:

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Title BOOK BARN SUPERSTAR
Motto Might I quote the incomparable Frederick Douglas? To wit: :drum:ONE TWO THREE TIMES TWO TO THE SIX/JONESING FOR YOUR FIX OF THAT LIMP BIZKIT MIX:drum:XD

The Machine posted:

Carrie - Stephen King

Read Philosophy in the Boudoir.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Oh gently caress it, I'll just skip to reading New Moon and Atlas Shrugged. Was saving 'em for when I kill myself, but...

(thanks, going with Kesey first)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Does anyone else have trouble finding the motivation to read during certain circumstances in their life?

For instance, I was going really great with my reading this year, having reached 30 books by the end of May. Since then I have begun seeing a guy, and now I can barely pick up a book without losing interest after a few pages. It's a shame since I was enjoying the books I was reading, and I was looking forward to the 50 or so I have lying around that I have yet to read. Now, I have little to no desire to read. I still haven't completed a 31st book.

I still do other stuff I normally kill time with (TV, games, spend time with friends etc), but in the times I would usually read, I find myself just lying or sitting doing nothing, often listening to music, my mind racing. I guess my emotions have been in a bit of upheaval lately and for me, music gratifies my emotions more than books do.

I mention this because my love life has managed to kill my reading habits in the past. It seems like I can have one or the other. When I'm single I storm through books. It sucks because I want both in my life. Maybe I have to give up something else...

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 22, 2010

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Hedrigall posted:

Does anyone else have trouble finding the motivation to read during certain circumstances in their life?

For instance, I was going really great with my reading this year, having reached 30 books by the end of May. Since then I have begun seeing a guy, and now I can barely pick up a book without losing interest after a few pages. It's a shame since I was enjoying the books I was reading, and I was looking forward to the 50 or so I have lying around that I have yet to read. Now, I have little to no desire to read. I still haven't completed a 31st book.

I still do other stuff I normally kill time with (TV, games, spend time with friends etc), but in the times I would usually read, I find myself just lying or sitting doing nothing, often listening to music, my mind racing. I guess my emotions have been in a bit of upheaval lately and for me, music gratifies my emotions more than books do.

I mention this my love life has managed to kill my reading habits in the past. It seems like I can have one or the other. When I'm single I storm through books. It sucks because I want both in my life. Maybe I have to give up something else...

When you're preoccupied in some way it can be hard to get into a book's narrative; nothing to worry about. Most people who like reading have binge phases anyway. But if you really feel you have to give up something, give up TV...

e: Just in case you don't want your reading flow interrupted in times of distress: switch to non-fiction for a while. Pick a subject you always felt needed more of your attention and get a nice and dusty, bonedry tome on that. Not kidding.

Underflow fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 22, 2010

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Underflow posted:

When you're preoccupied in some way it can be hard to get into a book's narrative; nothing to worry about. Most people who like reading have binge phases anyway. But if you really feel you have to give up something, give up TV...

e: Just in case you don't want your reading flow interrupted in times of distress: switch to non-fiction for a while. Pick a subject you always felt needed more of your attention and get a nice and dusty, bonedry tome on that. Not kidding.

I think I will try this, thanks. Gonna drop my current books (includes some goony sci-fi, a book of Allen Ginsberg poems, and Ken Follett's Pillars Of The Earth) and pick up one of the biographies I've bought recently. Any recommendations on what to try out of the following?

Life on Air by David Attenborough
John Lennon: The Life by Philip Norman
The Mayor of Castro Street: The Times of Harvey Milk by Randy Shilts
Gorillas in the Mist by Dian Fossey
Stephen Sondheim: A Life by Meryle Secrest

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Hedrigall posted:

I think I will try this, thanks. Gonna drop my current books (includes some goony sci-fi, a book of Allen Ginsberg poems, and Ken Follett's Pillars Of The Earth) and pick up one of the biographies I've bought recently. Any recommendations on what to try out of the following?

Life on Air by David Attenborough
John Lennon: The Life by Philip Norman
The Mayor of Castro Street: The Times of Harvey Milk by Randy Shilts
Gorillas in the Mist by Dian Fossey
Stephen Sondheim: A Life by Meryle Secrest

I'd go with Attenborough first, then Fossey, then Sondheim; by the time you're done with those you'll be back in the race for your usual fare :)

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
I read the first 50 pages of Iain Banks' new book, Transition, got bored and quit. Does it get better? The only other book of his I've read was the Wasp Factory which I greatly enjoyed, but this is just not that.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I just got a nook so I'm going to be needing a lot of recommendations. Instead of skimming the thread, which site is better: Shelfari or goodreads?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Goodreads is the best site of its type, IMO. At least if you are looking for social-based recommendations and reviews. If you are looking for a lot of data then check out Librarything.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Fooley posted:

I just got a nook so I'm going to be needing a lot of recommendations. Instead of skimming the thread, which site is better: Shelfari or goodreads?

Welcome to the club, I just picked up a nook as well. I prefer Goodreads, and it has an iPhone app and Facebook integration if you're into either of those things.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
What should my next Nabokov be after Lolita?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Pale Fire.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

reflir posted:

I read the first 50 pages of Iain Banks' new book, Transition, got bored and quit. Does it get better? The only other book of his I've read was the Wasp Factory which I greatly enjoyed, but this is just not that.

Try The Bridge if you want to give him another shot. His earlier stuff's got more oomph.

Mathlete
Nov 30, 2005

It's hip to be a squared square.
Yes read Pale Fire! Read it with a pencil in your hand. As Nabokov would say to his students, you need to "carrrrress the details."

It is not a long novel but it is very time consuming if you are willing to try to trace out its web of sense. There are some companion pieces that might help you see some of what is going on hidden in the background of the novel:

The Vane Sisters (short story)
Signs and Symbols (short story)
Good Readers and Good Writers (Essay)

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Aw gently caress, Barnes & Noble didn't have a copy of Pale Fire so I'm going to just get it off Amazon. Thanks!

Cool Mathlete, gonna check it out. :)

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I love Pale Fire. Make sure you read the whole thing, including the index - it's part of the book. Also, if you get the Everyman's Library version, pay attention to their warning and skip the introduction until you've finished the rest of the book.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Underflow posted:

You're on SA, you know the score:

- alphabetical order; sorted LN, FN (beginners)
- position of dust jacket's principal colour on the DuPont scale (intermediary)
- the one that still smells of the last girl lender's shampoo (there, you made it)

Maybe a long shot, but do any of you have any methods/systems of queuing up your longer-term list of reading material? I'm split between fiction (genre and more literary "good" stuff) and non-fiction (photography, history, motorcycling, civics/international relations [study material], travel, etc), which is further complicated by status such as: "books I already own and haven't yet read", "books I can get at the library", "books I'd have to buy", "books available on Kindle, so I can take them when I move", etc, not to mention my "Read It Later" bookmarklets online which are generally shorter articles. I haven't sat down and tried to do anything systematic yet, just taken the more urgent/interesting stuff and thrown it in a "To Read" box in my room, and maintaining a vague/incomplete list online split between a Google Document and separate wishlists at Half and Amazon. A mess, basically.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Patrick O'Brian books are absolutely brilliant -- pretty much perfect. The characters and setting are *perfectly* drawn. O'Brian did his historical research and it shows -- not just getting the dates of his battles right, but all the characters speak in period voices, using period language, etc.; the sailors use period nautical terms, the ship's doctor uses period medical terminology, etc.

Plus, on top of that, the series has immensely compelling characters. The basic "engine" is the relationship between Jack Aubrey, a ship captain in the Royal Navy, and his surgeon, Stephen Maturin. Aubrey's optimistic, brave, friendly -- sortof a golden retriever of a man, a drat-near genius of a fighting ship captain but absolutely hopeless at just about anything on land (career politics, economic/business decisions, etc.) Maturin, by contrast, is pretty much hopeless at sea, but an expert on land -- academic physician, secret agent, expert naturalist and scientist, etc.

It's basically a 19th century bromance-at-sea. I started the first book and want to get more into the series, but it got lost in the shuffle.

Dr Scoofles posted:

I had a rather odd encounter in Waterstones yesterday.

I was browsing the fiction section when I saw a nice lady sitting alone at a tressle table surrounded by books. She called me over, said she was a writer of crime thrillers and then asked if I was interested in buying one of her books. I said I wasn't a huge fan of the genre and wished her good fortune with her work and her book. She started getting a little desperate and went for the hard sell, pushing plot elements and characters out to try convince me to buy her book, assuring me her crime fiction is better than the rest, that I should reallty give it a go, she might be up for an award etc. I still didn't buy one.

I felt kinda bad after walking off. Sad that she had to sit there all alone and try convince complete strangers to like her work. Is it normal for writers to sit in bookshops and try drum up trade like a fruit seller on a market stall? I've never seen it before.

Yeah, this happens on less-successful book tours, or when the author is local and doesn't really have much of a fanbase in town. I went to a signing at the Nebula's in April that the local B&N had arranged, so most everybody there had books for sale on site and certainly wouldn't have minded you buying one, but I didn't hear any of the authors actually pushing their wares. Then again, I guess if you're at the Nebulas you're probably doing alright. The authors there were all really cool in person, although China Mieville was late as hell and kind of in a hurry.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

For organizing my to-read list as well as what I've read (at least since starting the account), I use Goodreads.

New accounts start with read, to-read, and currently-reading shelves, but you can create your own shelves and even make them exclusive (a book can only be on one exclusive shelf, and those also sort to the top of the shelf list).

I use my to-read list for things I definitely want to get around to eventually. Then I created a looks-interesting shelf for things I might want to check out sometime later, and a read-next list for books that I've already purchased or have out from the library. I also made a wishlist shelf for books I want to buy new, and one called wishlist-vintage that's for older, out-of-print books that I have to find used. Those wishlist shelves have come in really handy when book shopping because I can pull them up right on my phone. And I made an "upcoming" shelf for books that aren't out yet, I scan it once or twice a month and it helps me remember to either order the books or put them on hold at my library.

Those are all my exclusive ones, but I also created some non-exclusive organization shelves. I have a kindle-wishlist one for books I know are available for Kindle but haven't bought yet, a not-for-Kindle shelf for books that I'd prefer to have in e-book format but aren't out for it, and a generic Kindle shelf that I tag all my Kindle purchases with. I use the same three concepts for library books, things I want from the library, things they don't have, and things I've already checked out. Every couple of months I go through my not-for-kindle and not-at-my-library shelves and check to see if those books have become available. And of course I have a bunch of shelves based on genres and nonfiction subjects.

Goodreads is really handy for that sort of thing, because you can search for places to find each book from the book's info page. I think when you start your account it links you to Amazon and BN, but you can add and remove searches from the default list and customize their order. So when I'm logged in, the first "find at" link is actually a search of my county's library system, and the second is an Amazon link that's a fast way to check Kindle availability.

You can also select multiple shelves to view, which makes it surprisingly easy to sort through stuff if you've genre-tagged the books you're interested in as you add them. So when I'm in the mood for a historical mystery, I go into my to-read shelf and also choose my historical and mystery shelves. If I don't see anything that catches my eye, I start with my looks-interesting shelf and choose those two other categories again. Sometimes I've already marked if those books are at my library or not, but if I haven't, I can check their inventory then request them through the library's online system with a few clicks.

It works really well for me having all that stuff in one place and accessible from any computer or from my phone.