Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

lmao

someone buy me this av and I will repay you in Abita and/or bourbon of your choosing if you come to New Orleans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Phil Moscowitz posted:

lmao

someone buy me this av and I will repay you in Abita and/or bourbon of your choosing if you come to New Orleans

Make it so Number 1.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

SWATJester posted:

Make it so Number 1.

hahahaha thanks, hit me up via PM when you get here

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

hahahaha thanks, hit me up via PM when you get here

What do I have to buy you to get you to buy me lunch at Galatoir's or Cochon?

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Adar posted:

hey guys I'm old here are some names of old things for old street cred

I've got Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd records on real vinyl that I bought when I was a kid, I win.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

lmao

If I had known you'd av it I would've put the text a bit lower because it doesn't look perfect

OH WELL

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

What do I have to buy you to get you to buy me lunch at Galatoir's or Cochon?

Galatoire's is weak but if you show up with a package of hand made tortillas I'll gladly treat you to Cochon

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Solomon Grundy posted:

I've got Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd records on real vinyl that I bought when I was a kid, I win.

you are the oldest person in the world

what was it like before the big bang, law-grandpa

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

fougera posted:

I applied to become a TestMasters instructor this semester, good idea or bad idea? I'm a little worried how I can pull this off with job searching (lol), possible journal, and coursework. On the other hand it pays so well it should be able to cover drinking living expenses sans rent for the spring semester. Would I be in trouble only taking 12 credits in a semester?

Aren't they being sued by LSAC for using questions without paying for them or something?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

If I had known you'd av it I would've put the text a bit lower because it doesn't look perfect

OH WELL

Perfect it and av me and you too can sweat and drink Blanton's

SWATJester's reward will still be payable of course

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I'm seriously poor right now so the only way I could afford to go to NOLA would be a full ride to law school which I will then lose and be forced to live on the streets for a while

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Galatoire's is weak but if you show up with a package of hand made tortillas I'll gladly treat you to Cochon

You and me, we got a date.

Fun fact: The El Milagro factory is 4 miles east of my office. But you'll be getting better tortillas than that.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Solomon Grundy posted:

A friend of mine bought those but he did it in 2007. old credit not affirmed

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Warszawa posted:

Aren't they being sued by LSAC for using questions without paying for them or something?

Yeah, they got in a lot of trouble last year for not paying licensing fees. Pretty hilarious.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
Day 3, or maybe 4, of intense bar studying; time has become a blur. Get out of bed and start studying, don't stop until 8pm. Boring poo poo. the horror. have managed to escape for a few minutes; send he;lp

entris posted:

Having dissenting citizens just breaking laws is generally a terrible idea for a democratic society. Obviously, there are exceptions to that rule, such as the civil rights movement, but we're not talking about a generation of oppressed young people who are struggling to gain their freedom, we're talking about a bunch of lazy, semi-wealthy young people who don't want to pay for music, movies, and software despite the fact that they have money for housing, electricity, a computer, internet access and probably an mp3 player of some kind.

:lol: Entris, thanks for this ridiculous rendition of the issue. Given that you agree there are exceptions, though, I'll follow in your footsteps and open one up for unjust enrichment, and the exaltation of the unworthy. Problem solved, piracy is now a-okay.

Also, your earlier, blind support of the law is odd. Learned gentlemen apply, but are not touched by, the law. Laws are for the commons, who are more familiar with such things as the mechanical arts. gg; cheerio

quote:

I'm 29! Hardly "old man." But this will be my last post on piracy in this thread.

okay old man

Lykourgos fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 21, 2010

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

entris posted:

Having dissenting citizens just breaking laws is generally a terrible idea for a democratic society. Obviously, there are exceptions to that rule, such as the civil rights movement, but we're not talking about a generation of oppressed young people who are struggling to gain their freedom, we're talking about a bunch of lazy, semi-wealthy young people who don't want to pay for music, movies, and software despite the fact that they have money for housing, electricity, a computer, internet access and probably an mp3 player of some kind.

As I understand it, the proliferation of pirated copyright material has nothing to do with slow inefficient businesses failing to market compelling products and has everything to do with immoral lazy middle class kids!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

CaptainScraps posted:

You and me, we got a date.

Fun fact: The El Milagro factory is 4 miles east of my office. But you'll be getting better tortillas than that.

This is the part where I tell everyone in NY to take the trip to tortilleria nixtamal again.
edit: it's like twelve hours away from everything on the 7 train (hi John Rocker) but well worth it.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Roger_Mudd posted:

As I understand it, the proliferation of pirated copyright material has nothing to do with slow inefficient businesses failing to market compelling products and has everything to do with immoral lazy middle class kids!

Are businesses really slow and inefficient if the activity that is causing them to bleed money is illegal and ignores long-standing legal rights meant to protect the generation of that content?

I don't like the RIAA, but just saying record companies and musicians should "just make better music" or "be like iTunes" really doesn't solve the problem that a massive infrastructure is there to allow people to avoid buying stuff that they legally should be paying for.

Whether the present system of intellectual property right protection is tailored enough to fulfill its original purpose is another issue altogether. Likewise, just because you don't feel like giving Justin Beiber or Metallica money doesn't mean that you're entitled to use a non-sanctioned channel to take the music he and his company produced and have a validly legislated right to control.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Roger_Mudd posted:

slow inefficient businesses failing to market compelling products
You know, like the LSAC.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Entris, what's your opinion on film studios removing movie trailer uploads from Youtube?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

TyChan posted:

Are businesses really slow and inefficient if the activity that is causing them to bleed money is illegal and ignores long-standing legal rights meant to protect the generation of that content?

I don't like the RIAA, but just saying record companies and musicians should "just make better music" or "be like iTunes" really doesn't solve the problem that a massive infrastructure is there to allow people to avoid buying stuff that they legally should be paying for.

Whether the present system of intellectual property right protection is tailored enough to fulfill its original purpose is another issue altogether. Likewise, just because you don't feel like giving Justin Beiber or Metallica money doesn't mean that you're entitled to use a non-sanctioned channel to take the music he and his company produced and have a validly legislated right to control.

Look at starbucks, nearly everyone has a coffee maker at home but people (myself included) pay $2.22 for a large coffee. I even prefer Starbucks to the FREE coffee at work. Clearly pirating is against the law but Starbucks doesn't sue my coffee machine as a business model. They make a superior product at a better value (to me anyway).

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

TyChan posted:

Pretty sure he is talking about the RIAA price-fixing CD's at a time when they should have been finding a way to digitally release music, but instead, allowed Napster to operate unchallenged as it did.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

TyChan posted:

Nobody is saying that the only reason they're entitled to take it is because they "don't feel like giving justin beiber or Metallica money". Everytime you boil the issue down to some ridiculous statement like that, you're making a fool of yourself.

People have given many reasons why they feel entitled to take it without paying, ranging from the fact that beiber and metallica are lowly entities not worthy of great wealth or respect, to the lack of a substantial connection between beiber and the bytes that somebody downloads. You are completely missing the arguments raised when you post things like the above, and just creating a strawman that doesn't exist. You also say they were "validly legislated"; by whose measure? I see many low-born, moneyed people in the legislature, and these issues often get resolved in civil court with private attorneys.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Who the gently caress is justin biber? Metallica I know, I have their last album (And Justice for All)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I downloaded it :smug:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

With my modem :smugdog:

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Who the gently caress is justin biber?

He won North Korea's Next Pop Star about 6 months ago.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Lykourgos posted:

Nobody is saying that the only reason they're entitled to take it is because they "don't feel like giving justin beiber or Metallica money". Everytime you boil the issue down to some ridiculous statement like that, you're making a fool of yourself.

People have given many reasons why they feel entitled to take it without paying, ranging from the fact that beiber and metallica are lowly entities not worthy of great wealth or respect, to the lack of a substantial connection between beiber and the bytes that somebody downloads. You are completely missing the arguments raised when you post things like the above, and just creating a strawman that doesn't exist.

I'm not saying everyone pirates because they want to stick it to celebrities, but when I'm seeing posts like this...

Defleshed posted:

I approach it from the fact that the only people who care if I download their song instead of pay for it are people who don't need any more money so gently caress them.

I don't think I'm creating a "straw man" here and I think you're making way more than you should out of my casual statement.

quote:

You also say they were "validly legislated"; by whose measure? I see many low-born, moneyed people in the legislature, and these issues often get resolved in civil court with private attorneys.

The IP legislation everyone rails against got sponsored by an elected representative. They got passed by the legislative branch and signed into law by the executive branch. Whether we agree with the law or not, the law as it stands was passed the way our Constitution and/or legislative procedural rules provide for it.

If that's not validly legislated, than I don't know what to say for the vast majority of laws on the state and federal level. For decades, if not centuries, we have lived in a country where the garnering of votes and the trading of favors among a powerful few have generated laws that we view as binding. Most laws are aren't passed because of Athentian-style direct democracy from the grass-roots level. What you're bringing up seems to me more like an issue with the legitimacy of our government than anything else.

EDIT:

Roger_Mudd posted:

Look at starbucks, nearly everyone has a coffee maker at home but people (myself included) pay $2.22 for a large coffee. I even prefer Starbucks to the FREE coffee at work. Clearly pirating is against the law but Starbucks doesn't sue my coffee machine as a business model. They make a superior product at a better value (to me anyway).

Well, I hate to be obtuse here and I see your point, but you should keep in mind that the existence and use of your coffee machine is also not an illegal activity, so they couldn't sue for that.

Personally, I think the music industry is finally having to deal with the fact that most people don't care enough about music to want to pay for it or pay enough for it to keep the traditional industry alive in its present condition.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 21, 2010

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

TyChan posted:

The IP legislation everyone rails against got sponsored by an elected representative. They got passed by the legislative branch and signed into law by the executive branch. Whether we agree with the law or not, the law as it stands was passed the way our Constitution and/or legislative procedural rules provide for it.

If that's not validly legislated, than I don't know what to say for the vast majority of laws on the state and federal level. For decades, if not centuries, we have lived in a country where the garnering of votes and the trading of favors among a powerful few have generated laws that we view as binding. Most laws are aren't passed because of Athentian-style direct democracy from the grass-roots level. What you're bringing up seems to me more like an issue with the legitimacy of our government than anything else.

And the question of legitimacy is one that helps answer our problem of whether the law is valid (although it does not answer the question of whether we are of proper station to actually question the law to begin with). The product of an illegitimate system is not presumptively valid; the result may be shown to be proper, but your side of the fence is just making an assumption. If you start building a stable with warped and rotten wood, you know what sort of structure you're going to wind up with. The appropriate presumption is that this final product, this law you're talking about, is no better than the process that bore it.

Your post illustrates how base and vile that process can be; "we have lived in a country where the garnering of votes and the trading of favours among a powerful few have generated laws that we view as binding." A simple note that power is often measured by vulgar popularity and monetary wealth really brings the message home.

It's confusing, then, that you say this is "our" system. It's not ours in any real sense of the word; you've admitted as much by saying that it's controlled by a precious few powerful, and historically whole races and genders have been excluded. If you're just saying it's ours in the sense that we were born into it, or that it has been imposed unquestionably upon us, then fine; but that doesn't at all help your idea that the laws were validly passed.

Anyway, enough pointing out problems with your post. That the process is not grass-roots in any real sense is not a problem; just before Charles lost his head, he said something we ought to all remember, that for the commons governance "is nothing pertaining to them. A subject and a sovereign are clear different things." The issue here is that the ruling class, noble judges and lawyers, are presently disenfranchised and subject to the wicked laws of vulgar and base peoples

Lykourgos fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 21, 2010

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Lykourgos posted:

And the question of legitimacy is one that helps answer our problem of whether the law is valid (although it does not answer the question of whether we are of proper station to actually question the law to begin with). The product of an illegitimate system is not presumptively valid; the reult may be shown to be proper, but your side of the fence is just making an assumption. If you start building a stable with rotten wood, you'll need rotten wood to complete it. We can only assume that this final product, this law you're talking about, is no better than the process that bore it.

Your post illustrates how base and vile that process can be; "we have lived in a country where the garnering of votes and the trading of favours among a powerful few have generated laws that we view as binding." A simple note that power is often measured by vulgar popularity and monetary wealth really brings the message home.

At this point, you're playing semantics here and avoiding my point that the copyright laws that people are complaining about are binding laws that are are part of the government we have developed and will continue to be until people successfully use the process to change those laws.

Either that or you want to move beyond the realm of lawyers and legal obligations and procedure, which is what I was getting at when I said "validly legislated," and to the more nebulous questions about whether these laws are right or wrong or whether they have popular legitimacy.

quote:

It's confusing, then, that you say this is "our" system. It's not ours in any real sense of the word; you've admitted as much by saying that it's controlled by a precious few powerful, and historically whole races and genders have been excluded. If you're just saying it's ours in the sense that we were born into it, or that it has been imposed unquestionably upon us, then fine; but that doesn't at all help your idea that the laws were validly passed.

It is "our" system in that we participate in it and, as lawyers, we have sworn to uphold. The copyright laws are a product of the system and the people, either through apathy or silent consent, or actually benefitting from those laws, have let those laws pass through the checks and balances of our system of government.

Basically my meaning of valid is apparently more limited than yours is.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

TyChan posted:

I don't think I'm creating a "straw man" here and I think you're making way more than you should out of my casual statement.

Haha as soon as I read what he wrote I knew someone would quote me from the last page.

I download for a lot of reasons, but mainly because I can. I have a voracious appetite for music that I couldn't legally satiate even if I made 5x my current salary. A lot of times I download something, listen to it, find out it sucks poo poo and never listen to it again ... 15 bucks saved :smugdog:

It's not like artists get no money from me. I always go see acts I like when they're in town. I've been known to buy a CD if really desperate. In the days before downloading I bought many because that was all you could do. I have a library of 1,000+ CD's I bought legally. I have a drawer full of concert tshirts I never wear.

I have a loathing for people who solely exist (and get rich) by being a middleman. My wife is friends with an "insurance broker". She owns her own business wherein she simply serves as go-between for small business owners/the self-insured and the insurance companies. Her "workday" as far as I can tell, involves making about 3 phone calls in between running personal errands all day. And this woman is wealthy from this business. Why is that?

Similarly I don't like the fact that empty suits became ridiculously wealthy doing nothing but "marketing" music.

The fact that it makes worthless people whine that they can no longer get rich is not the reason I download, but it is a nice side benefit.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I feel this argument I'm having with Lykourgos is an example of why so many people are unhappy with law school and being a lawyer. I think a lot of applicants come in thinking they're going to litigate or draft against injustice and they realize that the law isn't necessarily about wrong and right, but it's about rules and agreements that hopefully reflect our sense of what is wrong and right.

Defleshed posted:

Haha as soon as I read what he wrote I knew someone would quote me from the last page.

I download for a lot of reasons, but mainly because I can. I have a voracious appetite for music that I couldn't legally satiate even if I made 5x my current salary. A lot of times I download something, listen to it, find out it sucks poo poo and never listen to it again ... 15 bucks saved :smugdog:

It's not like artists get no money from me. I always go see acts I like when they're in town. I've been known to buy a CD if really desperate. I have a drawer full of concert tshirts I never wear.

I have a loathing for people who solely exist (and get rich) by being a middleman. My wife is friends with an "insurance broker". She owns her own business wherein she simply serves as go-between for small business owners/the self-insured and the insurance companies. Her "workday" as far as I can tell, involves making about 3 phone calls in between running personal errands all day. And this woman is wealthy from this business. Why is that?

Similarly I don't like the fact that empty suits became ridiculously wealthy doing nothing but "marketing" music.

The fact that it makes worthless people whine that they can no longer get rich is not the reason I download, but it is a nice side benefit.

Well, you are proving me right in that there is a lot of music you are downloading because you don't feel like (or can't) pay for it. I probably should have been more nuanced, but basically I was pointing out that that many people downloading music through free, illegal channels are downloading it because they simply don't want to pay for it and don't want to go without it.

And at the same time, I don't think you're saying that what you are doing is legal either, correct?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
My memory is fuzzy but it's the uploading and not the downloading that's actionable yes?

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

TyChan posted:

At this point, you're playing semantics here and avoiding my point that the copyright laws that people are complaining about are binding laws that are are part of the government we have developed and will continue to be until people successfully use the process to change those laws.

Either that or you want to move beyond the realm of lawyers and legal obligations and procedure, which is what I was getting at when I said "validly legislated," and to the more nebulous questions about whether these laws are right or wrong or whether they have popular legitimacy.

Actually, you're the one playing semantics, trying to heap terms of honour and respect upon your side of the argument. If you want to use the term "valid" to mean "in accordance with these particular, internal rules" then okay, but given that nobody is saying there was a procedural error, the adjective is completely pointless.

The "nebulous" questions were opened a long time ago, at the very beginning of this topic. If your whole point is "it's a law that was passed in accordance with this particular procedure, so it's illegal," then congratulations on being entris. As soon as you say "it's illegal so it's not right to do it," however, then you, yourself, are opening the nebulous door on what is right and wrong, when exceptions exist, and what the legislature ought to consist of.

quote:

It is "our" system in that we participate in it and, as lawyers, we have sworn to uphold. The copyright laws are a product of the system and the people, either through apathy or silent consent, or actually benefitting from those laws, have let those laws pass through the checks and balances of our system of government.

Basically my meaning of valid is apparently more limited than yours is.

You must have a pretty low standard for participation, given voter turnout and input. As for lawyers being sworn to uphold the system as it is today, the answer is an emphatic no. I see nothing in the oath that says that, whatsoever. At best, I see a line in the illinois oath saying that we'll uphold the federal and state constitutions; no particular definition or interpretation offered. There is nothing I can see in the illinois oath that suggests we at all have to uphold the current state of affairs; not to mention that the constitution itself admits of being amended.

TyChan posted:

I feel this argument I'm having with Lykourgos is an example of why so many people are unhappy with law school and being a lawyer. I think a lot of applicants come in thinking they're going to litigate or draft against injustice and they realize that the law isn't necessarily about wrong and right, but it's about rules and agreements that hopefully reflect our sense of what is wrong and right.

Speak for yourself; the law is most certainly about wrong and right. It is the field of learned gentlemen discussing what ought to be, and using the law to make manifest their godly will. I am very pleased with the legal work I have had the privilege of doing, and it has accorded with my interpretation of what law consists of. You are most certainly incorrect to classify it as you do.

Lykourgos fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 21, 2010

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Too many words in this discussion, going to LF, see you all later

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Lykourgos posted:

The "nebulous" questions were opened a long time ago, at the very beginning of this topic. If your whole point is "it's a law that was passed in accordance with this particular procedure, so it's illegal," then congratulations on being entris. As soon as you say "it's illegal so it's not right to do it," however, then you, yourself, are opening the nebulous door on what is right and wrong, when exceptions exist, and what the legislature ought to consist of.

I was just saying it's illegal and have been repeatedly saying that I'm not saying whether it is right or wrong. It is, however, against the law. Jeez.

quote:

You must have a pretty low standard for participation, given voter turnout and input.

Is there any system of government that will ever make you happy?

quote:

As for lawyers being sworn to uphold the system as it is today, the answer is an emphatic no. I see nothing in the oath that says that, whatsoever. At best, I see a line in the illinois oath saying that we'll uphold the federal and state constitutions; no particular definition or interpretation offered. There is nothing I can see in the illinois oath that suggests we at all have to uphold the current state of affairs; not to mention that the constitution itself admits of being amended.

So when a law is passed according to the system laid out in the state or federal constitution, it's the lawyer right to decide whether he wants to obey it or not without any fear of consequences? Come on. Now you're just trolling me.

Elotana posted:

My memory is fuzzy but it's the uploading and not the downloading that's actionable yes?

You're basically correct as far as file sharers go. The theory behind the RIAA lawsuits was that by going on to various file sharing networks, users were infringing on the copyright holders' exclusive right of distribution of the songs. They would then seek statutory damages.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

TyChan posted:

Is there any system of government that will ever make you happy?

Have you ever read Leviathan?

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.
gently caress all y'all.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Mookie posted:

gently caress all y'all.

________/______

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Elotana posted:

Legally, both are (IIRC, the 9th circuit Napster case pretty well settled it). Downloading a file creates a copy, which is one of the exclusive rights of the copyright holder. Practically, it's tough to catch you downloading unless the studios are distributing their own files.