Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Its not so much the wobble I'm as concerned with, but the bzzzzzzz sound that the sample clip I uploaded makes, compared to the bzzzzzz sound that the TAL Filter makes. The way Simpler handles LFO wobble is really nice too though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007
Can anybody give me some advice?

I'm really tempted to pick up NI MASSIVE, but I also want new drum samples too, so I'm thinking of picking up one of their drum libraries.

How versatile is massive? Do those of you who use it recommend it? I really like how high quality the sound massive produces is, and I'm thinking its a good investment, but is there anything even higher quality that could offer more before I buy it?

And can somebody explain how NI's products all work together? I'm kind of confused about their integration with KORE or whatever.

Thanks in advance!

If it helps, I come from using FL Studio's native VSTs, mostly sytrus, which isn't terrible, but I'm searching for something that can match Logic's quality of sounds, without actually switching to Logic.

E1M5 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 16, 2010

fdaJJ
May 3, 2005

DEEP DOWN I'M A FURRY WHO LOVES TIGERS

Track I'm working on now. I was going for dubstep. I can't tell if there is any low bass or not or if it's too loud because the headphones I'm using don't do me much good.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

E1M5 posted:

I'm really tempted to pick up NI MASSIVE, but I also want new drum samples too, so I'm thinking of picking up one of their drum libraries.

How versatile is massive? Do those of you who use it recommend it? I really like how high quality the sound massive produces is, and I'm thinking its a good investment, but is there anything even higher quality that could offer more before I buy it?

And can somebody explain how NI's products all work together? I'm kind of confused about their integration with KORE or whatever.

Thanks in advance!

If it helps, I come from using FL Studio's native VSTs, mostly sytrus, which isn't terrible, but I'm searching for something that can match Logic's quality of sounds, without actually switching to Logic.

I would thoroughly recommend Massive (so long as your system can handle it) for anybody making modern electronic music. It's intimidating at first, but I found the learning curve wasn't too bad- if you are au fait with synths in general then you should work it out quickly so long as you rtfm.

The modulation and routing options are amazingly deep too, including envelopes (of various kinds), LFOs, step sequencers, and something they call a 'performance sequencer', which is somewhere between all three and is excellent to evolving sounds and bass wobbling. All of these can be assigned to pretty much any module too, including the other modulators- so you can have an LFO modulating another LFO's rate etc.

In terms of KORE, that's NI's way of categorising sounds. The KORE player basically allows you to play presets from any of their synths (and Kontakt) with 8 knobs for tweakage, though you cannot change the assignment of the knobs and it varies patch by patch.

Essentially, if you download the KORE player, it then means you can buy any of their preset libraries and use the sounds within. If, for example, you get Massive, then you will be able to open any of the patches made in Massive and tweak them to your hearts content, though if you bought a pack that was created with Absynth, then you would need to purchase Absynth to do anything more with the patches other than tweak the pre-assigned KORE knobs.

The KORE library is really nicely put together- it's basically a criteria based search engine for all the sounds you have. So, if you wanted a dark and metallic pad, you go to the browser within your synth (or within KORE), select 'dark', 'metallic' and 'pad', then only sounds that fit those criteria will be shown.

Hope this makes sense!

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

fdaJJ posted:

Track I'm working on now. I was going for dubstep. I can't tell if there is any low bass or not or if it's too loud because the headphones I'm using don't do me much good.

It's okay IMO. the mix is way off in parts. Your bassline is eating the rest of the track alive though.

Just dropping it in the mix by a third would be okay, I think.

Other than that, it sounds way alot like generic fruityloops plugins.

You definitely get 5 Jean Michel Jarre points though.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

I don't really know what to call this, genre wise. my goal was to make it sound as "big" as possible without overcompressing it. The drums could still use work imo, and the whole thing is a little choppy and doesn't flow as well as I would like it to. Any suggestions?

Oiled and Ready fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 19, 2010

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Oiled and Ready posted:

I don't really know what to call this, genre wise. my goal was to make it sound as "big" as possible without overcompressing it. The drums could still use work imo, and the whole thing is a little choppy and doesn't flow as well as I would like it to. Any suggestions?

Much prefer your other INK (http://tindeck.com/listen/zytx), although if you let the bass flow a bit more and occasionally used the vocal samples like you do in the rearranged version you'd have a very nice tune there. Soundwise I'd change a few things, but that's just personal taste.

e: Really like your Highlands Final (http://tindeck.com/listen/skzc).

Underflow fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 20, 2010

ShoodZ
Nov 20, 2002

Icept is my bitch

E1M5 posted:

Thanks in advance!

MASSIVE is a great software synth and it's quite easy to use and get good results if you take the time to watch some youtube tutorials and read the manual a bit. Depends on what kind of music you are going for as well.

All the synths in this tune are made in MASSIVE and run through some effects.

Bit generic dubstep I know, but I'm focusing on making the synths right now and having them play together well. Feedback appreciated.

Klint
Dec 19, 2006
Klint Eastwood
Hello all, was talking to a friend and decided to make this dubstep track, let me know what you guys think! This is my first track, so any tips/advice/criticism is welcome (and by that I mean I really want some feedback!)

Klint fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 21, 2010

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007
Thanks for the advice on Massive, guys.

I'm going for an electro-pop vibe, so I'm aiming for really smooth leads and saws. I think that's why I like Logic's presets so much, but I've been messing around with the massive demo, and I'm really digging it. The ability to create a sound to my liking is pretty drat easy.

I might as well just save up a little more and pick up Komplete.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

E1M5 posted:

I'm going for an electro-pop vibe, so I'm aiming for really smooth leads and saws. I think that's why I like Logic's presets so much, but I've been messing around with the massive demo, and I'm really digging it. The ability to create a sound to my liking is pretty drat easy.

I did that, and have a little buyer's remorse, because I know that I'm never going to use half the stuff very much at all. Don't get me wrong, it's all good, but deep down I know I'll only pull out FM8 or Reaktor once in a blue moon- I just don't have the time to explore them and learn them properly. It's better to become fluent in Massive (or whatever) than it is to not really know how to use any of it.

I advise you to try the other products' demos- if you have no use for Guitar Rig, Reaktor etc then you may be better off just getting Massive, and downloading KORE for the other sounds as mentioned in my last post.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Komplete does include battery and reaktor though, which are also well worth getting.
It also comes with 40+ gb of samples, so if you run out of drums in the next 5 years you've got problems.

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007

BittyWings posted:

I did that, and have a little buyer's remorse, because I know that I'm never going to use half the stuff very much at all. Don't get me wrong, it's all good, but deep down I know I'll only pull out FM8 or Reaktor once in a blue moon- I just don't have the time to explore them and learn them properly. It's better to become fluent in Massive (or whatever) than it is to not really know how to use any of it.

I advise you to try the other products' demos- if you have no use for Guitar Rig, Reaktor etc then you may be better off just getting Massive, and downloading KORE for the other sounds as mentioned in my last post.

I actually have used the Guitar Rig 4 demo in a lot of my recent productions. It's really great, and I think it's a definite must-have for my arsenal of plugins. And as for the Kore player, I think it's a cool concept and I'm totally diggin' it.

I'll definitely explore a little bit more, but Massive is going to be a definite buy at this point.

The only other thing im really concerned with is drum samples - how are the drum packs that NI offers? Battery seems great, but are the quality of the samples definitely worth the buy?

E1M5 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 21, 2010

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
:woop::woop:

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

mezzir posted:

That's a really nice one. Much prefer this to your forays into hip hop. Great tempo, exciting rhythm, good mix - works well through hi-end monitors and consumer hi-fi alike. Would love to hear an extended version with some nice eerie vocal samples and a long teasing break-down before a full-blown climax. Ibiza-style baby.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

mezzir posted:

loving awesome dude. I really want a mezzir power pack with all your prog/house tracks.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Underflow posted:

Ibiza-style baby.

Live from Radio 1 in IBIZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

xpander posted:

loving awesome dude. I really want a mezzir power pack with all your prog/house tracks.

Yes please.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

E1M5 posted:

You should really check out reFX Vanguard. It's simple but powerful, and makes some of the smoothest sounds I've heard come out of any synth.

Klint posted:

Hello all, was talking to a friend and decided to make this dubstep track, let me know what you guys think! This is my first track, so any tips/advice/criticism is welcome (and by that I mean I really want some feedback!)

When the main beat comes in, your drums need to punch through the mix more. I'd recommend doing some layering. For instance, take your kick, which has a good low end, and layer it with one or two kicks that have more high end frequencies. Take the snare and add 2 more snares with different sounds, perhaps throw some distortion on it to give it more bite.

And here's something I came up with today after watching Step Brothers...

Bocelli goes Trance!

(I know it's been done before, shut up)

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 22, 2010

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.
Here's a really rough sketch of what I have for a remix contest.

I am still trying to find a way to make the section before the build up more interesting, but I can figure out how to approach it. Same goes for the part after the drop. Keep in mind, I haven't fully transitioned into the drop etc etc, so any criticism and tips would be great :)

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

The Dark Wind posted:

Bocelli goes Trance!

Man, I was hoping for Auto-Tuned operetta. But if you want to go that way, throw some more oomph into the bass and get Rollergirl for your Con Te Partyrave.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
I'm just gonna keep posting my Drum n Bass tracks in here, even if no one says anything about them. :shobon:

I think I'm improving a bunch, I'd like to think this one sounds a lot better at least, mixing and mastering wise.. Any feedback is appreciate, good or bad!

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

zeldadude posted:

I'm just gonna keep posting my Drum n Bass tracks in here, even if no one says anything about them. :shobon:

I think I'm improving a bunch, I'd like to think this one sounds a lot better at least, mixing and mastering wise.. Any feedback is appreciate, good or bad!

Personally, I prefer the more ethereal D&B; just seems to go better with the genre. You've got a good one in that vein: Qure, and I thought the basic premise of Raindrop) was nice too, except for the dry chord stabs (out of place, or even unnecessary). Your mixes could use a bit more depth, I think. If you experimented with source positioning and reverb/delay I'm sure it would give things that extra gloss.

telarium4
Jul 23, 2010
Great stuff in this thread!

So, I'm looking for a great MIDI keyboard and my budget is unlimited.

Now, here's the deal. I'm a fairly advanced piano player -- and I'm very keen on a full 88. Back in the day, I used a Nord Piano -- and I absolutely loved it. However, those keys are pretty much fully weighted...

So, if I stick with Clavia and really want 88 keys -- should I go with the Nord Stage EX -- or am I really going to need the Nord Electro 73 (semi-weighted keys) or Nord Wave Synth? Or, is there something better out there from Roland, etc...?

This will be for the creation of progressive trance in Live, mostly.

Are the Clavia products overkill? Can my vast multitude of plug-ins handle most of the heavy lifting, thus only requiring a basic MIDI keyboard?

Edit: It will be hooked up to this bad-boy: http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdspe_madi.php

telarium4 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 23, 2010

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

telarium4 posted:

So, if I stick with Clavia and really want 88 keys -- should I go with the Nord Stage EX
Yes. A Wave has synth action keys - unweighted. There is no semi-weighted or unweighted substitute for weighted keys, it's as simple as that.

quote:

Or, is there something better out there from Roland, etc...?

I mulled a long time over my digital piano purchase and got a Roland FP7. Really, it's all a matter of preference. Most MIDI controllers are cheap pieces of crap in terms of feel and construction; it's why I use an older (Roland XP-30) synth instead of a controller.

The thing is, most 88-key controllers don't have a lot of knobs, and most controllers with lots of knobs aren't weighted. Then you've got something like CME but I've heard not so good things about build and driver quality. There's also the Akai MPK88. So, what you do is that you buy a decent 88-key keyboard without knobs and purchase the box o' knobs separately.

But, the biggest advantage of a digital piano as controller is that it makes sound the moment you switch it on, as opposed to waiting for the boot process to finish.

telarium4
Jul 23, 2010

Yoozer posted:

There's also the Akai MPK88.

I do like the advertised Ableton integration with the MPK88. I'm very curious to see if I'd get that same flexibility with the Nord Stage. Either way, [pianosnob] I'll need to feel each piano before a purchase. [/pianosnob]

Interestingly, I tried a Fatar the other day -- and I came away impressed.

telarium4 fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 23, 2010

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

telarium4 posted:

I do like the advertised Ableton integration with the MPK88. I'm very curious to see if I'd get that same flexibility with the Nord Stage. Either way, [pianosnob] I'll need to feel each piano before a purchase. [/pianosnob]

Interestingly, I tried a Fatar the other day -- and I came away impressed.

Granted this probably isn't the same model, but I have a SL-880 Pro I got used off craigslist and as a former piano snob as well, out of all the relatively cheap keyboards I've played this is easily my favorite. Had an 88 key m-audio one, Keystation Pro 88 iirc that I got off the internet without playing it first and never ended up using it cause the keys felt like crap. Traded it for a guitar, then two months later missed my 88 keys and found this one, worked perfectly :)

ugg
Jul 30, 2009

mezzir posted:

I really like the sound of the bassline. Sounds like it could shred through a brick wall.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Found a useful video on youtube on sends and returns, and a few other tips and tricks videos. I'm getting a hang of Ableton slowly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIn9b81HGGM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCx5L3kOoRA

Limbertimbre
Sep 7, 2007
Oscillator Modulator
While weighted keys feel like the real ivory, if you are going to make staccato trancy music you may want more responsive lighter keys. Cheap and flimsy may really be the best option.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Limbertimbre posted:

While weighted keys feel like the real ivory, if you are going to make staccato trancy music you may want more responsive lighter keys. Cheap and flimsy may really be the best option.

Regular synths don't usually have the weighted keys either. I'll admit though that the weighted ones feel so much nice to play anything on.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Chainclaw posted:

Found a useful video on youtube on sends and returns, and a few other tips and tricks videos. I'm getting a hang of Ableton slowly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIn9b81HGGM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCx5L3kOoRA

I love that second one, kevin spacey giving out tips. [dead pan]Did you know you can make retarded scratching sounds with simple delay? [audio]raquel whats going ooonn whheenneeeeiiiickkakirroooouuuuuughh

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.
I've got a second hand CME UF8 midi controller.

I read a lot of mixed reviews, but I decided to risk it, and I must say, I am really quite impressed, and I couldn't say no for £160 second hand.

Different velocity profiles mean you can vary it to how you feel, can transpose notes (not that you need to very often). Everything feels of high quality, the weight is good (I have a grand piano downstairs, and it's not a world away in terms of feel). Enough knobs and sliders really, 10 of each, maybe? and I believe you can hold a button to switch to second functions, though I haven't had to as yet.

Drivers were an issue, couldn't make it work via the USB to USB, but I just bought a USB to midi converter and it worked fine.

Only thing is, it weighs approximately three tonnes, so if you wished to gig with it you would probably be the proud recipient of a hernia.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Resurrecting a year old project :)

pass me a natty bro
Jun 18, 2010

by angerbot
i just started learning how to use logic, can someone tell me why my 88 keyboard went from being fully recognized last project to just one octave?

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

mezzir posted:

Resurrecting a year old project :)

gently caress. I love this. Very nice. Classy.

Are these your vocals, or are you using an acapella?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

gently caress. I love this. Very nice. Classy.

Are these your vocals, or are you using an acapella?

Using a heavily eq'ed and effect-laden original track actually, acapella doesn't exist that i know of :) (Atmosphere - God's Bathroom Floor is the original, cant find it on youtube but I did find this live version that, unlike newer live versions, uses the original instrumental track isntead of a live band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIL7QkfMZlY&feature=related. Easily my favorite atmosphere song)

edit: and thanks :D

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I done a new one!

http://soundcloud.com/downpour/an-objection-to-conceptual-analysis

I'm trying to focus my sound more these days. I'm going very slow, very dark, and heavily textured.
This is just the first draft, it's a little sparse and some sounds need altering. Feedback on it as is would be excellent though :)

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

cubicle gangster posted:

I done a new one!

I'm trying to focus my sound more these days. I'm going very slow, very dark, and heavily textured.
This is just the first draft, it's a little sparse and some sounds need altering. Feedback on it as is would be excellent though :)

yo this is legit

ugg
Jul 30, 2009

cubicle gangster posted:

I done a new one!

I like it. I know this may be asking a lot but could you do a special version for me without the guy saying "doo". It's a bitchin awesome song other than that for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Rockin', thanks guys :)

ugg - it's not sitting too well with me either, they need work. Think i'm going to keep the long samples in, remove the small ones and add some other bits and tie the whole together. It's a bit detached and lazy atm.
I'll post the finished version up next week sometime.

It's also not a dude, it's kelis. haha. The longer ones are her saying 'boys to the yard' and a couple of others.
I think the short one was originally 'milk', but it's been pointed out that it now sounds like 'puke'
They got edited quite a lot by the time I was done.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 29, 2010

• Locked thread