Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Wow, that's the worst game in the series and an all around bad game. Why did they add it? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A magical pendant of Indian origin. I can use it to save my progress at any point.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

The Machine posted:

Wow, that's the worst game in the series and an all around bad game. Why did they add it? :(

If they added the better ones first, this would have even less chance of selling?

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
At least it bodes well for their adding the other games in the future, right? :)

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
^^^ That's the only purpose of this release.

Devil Wears Wings posted:

New release today: Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare for $6.

I remember playing the PS1 version and being less than impressed by it. Is the PC version any better?

Oh God Damnit. Listen to me: Do not buy this game.

It's a complete waste of time. It's Atari's attempt to kill absolutely everything unique about the series and turn it into a horrible Resident Evil knockoff. The only thing it has in common with the original trilogy is a guy named Edward Carnby. That's it.

I played through it years and years ago on my XP machine when I had the discs when I was gullible and thought things like "It's an Alone In The Dark game! How can it possibly be bad?" Oh yes, yes it can.

I hardly remember anything about the story because it so forgettable...something about getting an artifact off an island? You use "magnesium bullets" made of light or something to kill things because they're from the darkness, you see?

Not to mention Uwe Boll rubbing salt in the wound by making a movie out of this game. Don't even get me started.

It's not the worst game I've ever played, but it's just terrible. The entire time you're playing it, you'll want to play Resident Evil, Silent Hill, the original ALone in the Dark games...pretty much anything else.

Wait until the original trilogy gets released and buy that instead.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 20, 2010

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I really love the goofy graphics of the original ones.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

rt4 posted:

I really love the goofy graphics of the original ones.
AitD was (visually) hot poo poo when it released. It did a lot of stuff that I don't recall being in any game prior.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Zachack posted:

AitD was (visually) hot poo poo when it released. It did a lot of stuff that I don't recall being in any game prior.
Yeah it basically spawned the whole '3D on 2D backgrounds' trend that was so popular on the PSX.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
3D on 2D backgrounds kicks rear end. For example, certain indoors scenes in the N64 Zelda games. I wish more games still did this.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I would kill for GoG to get Planescape, Baldur's Gate I + II, and Icewind Dale. I'd buy those games so fast.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

GreatGreen posted:

I would kill for GoG to get Planescape, Baldur's Gate I + II, and Icewind Dale. I'd buy those games so fast.

You probably would have to kill someone to get them onto GoG. As I understand it all the old interplay D&D games are in licensing hell.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Weren't all of these re-released for retail not long ago? I have BG1 and 2 plus expansions in a box, Planescape compatible with Vista (and on DVD, too) and I've seen IceD around.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Really? I had no idea. I wonder if I can still pickup Planescape.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sankis posted:

You probably would have to kill someone to get them onto GoG. As I understand it all the old interplay D&D games are in licensing hell.

They're being sold in box sets byyyy... Atari?

e: ^^ no not planescape nobody bought that game so nobody bothered to re-release it

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Really? I had no idea. I wonder if I can still pickup Planescape.

Don't know who distributes it, I got my copy off of an auction site. Only has the Dungeons&Dragons and Interplay logo on it. Looks legit though.

E: Found it on amazon.co.uk: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plane-Scape-Torment-PC-DVD/dp/B002TOKQIG
That page also links to the 4-in-1 BG box and Icewind Dale 3-in-1.

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 21, 2010

Five
Jan 6, 2009

Oh man, they have M.A.X.? I... I may have to buy that. Such a beautiful, under appreciated game. :)

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Alchenar posted:

They're being sold in box sets byyyy... Atari?

e: ^^ no not planescape nobody bought that game so nobody bothered to re-release it

Not Atari. Atari had nothing to do with the BG/IWD games. Interplay put out the games.

They're just the current D&D games license holder. Or were.

Edit: Nevermind. Looks like you're right. They must own the rights in the UK or something.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
drat, so much for a surprise release of the original AitD games on Thursday. Here's hoping for a future release.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
From what I understand, Interplay still has the rights to distributing the "Infinity Engine" games which they farm out to other companies (the recent re-release was only in the UK I think).

However, those rights only exist for boxed copies. So the problem is that in order for GoG to release those games for their service in digital distribution form, they would need to talk to Interplay, to Wizards of the Coast, to Atari (who owns the current rights to release things under the AD&D name), and possibly to EA since they own BioWare. It's probably a hell of a lot of work between opposing corporations and lawyers filing paperwork and division of the pie for games that would sell for $9.99 to a niche audience. It explains why it hasn't shown up on Steam either. But I wish it would happen, too.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

kuddles posted:

From what I understand, Interplay still has the rights to distributing the "Infinity Engine" games which they farm out to other companies (the recent re-release was only in the UK I think).

However, those rights only exist for boxed copies. So the problem is that in order for GoG to release those games for their service in digital distribution form, they would need to talk to Interplay, to Wizards of the Coast, to Atari (who owns the current rights to release things under the AD&D name), and possibly to EA since they own BioWare. It's probably a hell of a lot of work between opposing corporations and lawyers filing paperwork and division of the pie for games that would sell for $9.99 to a niche audience. It explains why it hasn't shown up on Steam either. But I wish it would happen, too.

Look at the most requested games on GoG's site. GoG knows that people want planescape. Interplay has been pretty willing to sell things there already. I'm left to conclude it's EA who's mucking things up.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

ikanreed posted:

Look at the most requested games on GoG's site. GoG knows that people want planescape. Interplay has been pretty willing to sell things there already. I'm left to conclude it's EA who's mucking things up.

What the gently caress does EA have to do with Planescape Torment?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Just a friendly reminder that I-War 2 is still probably the best space combat sim ever, and if you have an ATI card (word is that Nvidia hardware has some trouble, although the GoG forums may have solved that by now), you should buy it if you lie the genre in the slightest.

Even if you didn't like I-War, even. I could never get into the first game, but the second is far more accessible. A little less sim-ish, but it also lets you do so much more. Running your own little pirate flotilla from your secret nebula fortress is all kinds of badass.

Aside from some low-res textures, it hasn't aged. It looks sharp, detailed, and even supports native 16:10 widescreen years before widescreen monitors even existed.

Earlier in the thread I also posted an Xbox 360 controller config that'll let you fly like a goddamn demon.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

What the gently caress does EA have to do with Planescape Torment?

A bit of a repetition, but they own Bioware these days.

Edit: VVV I didn't do my research. I never got to play torment, but Baldur's gate is possibly my favorite series of all time. Possibly second.

ikanreed fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 22, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

ikanreed posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but besides licensing the Infinity Engine, there's like zero connection between Bioware and PS:T AFAIK.

EDIT: VVV Sweet, I'm not crazy. VVV

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ikanreed posted:

BioWare had nothing to do with PS:T beyond licensing the engine out.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Sorta off-topic, but if it wasn't for GOG and Steam, I would probably have something like this guy has:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/07/22/we-miss-pc-game-boxes-heres-why/

Link above leads to a bigger-sized pic if you click on it. I used to have enough boxed PC games to maybe fill a shelf and a half there, but wow. I wish the quality was a bit better, but I can make out Motocross Madness 2, Messiah, and Oni. Shelf owns. :pcgaming:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
They aren't alphabetized. What an rear end in a top hat.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

tentaclesex posted:

They aren't alphabetized. What an rear end in a top hat.

In the comments, he says they're chronological, which works too. He claims the first game is Doom II, but I can't make it out.

I miss my Ultimate Doom and Doom II boxes... :smith: The Ultimate Doom was my first boxed PC game ever.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Charles Martel posted:

Sorta off-topic, but if it wasn't for GOG and Steam, I would probably have something like this guy has:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/07/22/we-miss-pc-game-boxes-heres-why/

Link above leads to a bigger-sized pic if you click on it. I used to have enough boxed PC games to maybe fill a shelf and a half there, but wow. I wish the quality was a bit better, but I can make out Motocross Madness 2, Messiah, and Oni. Shelf owns. :pcgaming:

Oh that effing Ultima IX Dragon Edition box

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

teethgrinder posted:

Oh that effing Ultima IX Dragon Edition box

I'm trying to find the Stonekeep box. Remember that huge loving stone monolith?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
What is that, like close to 600 games? That's... hell I don't even know what to say about that. I feel awful about my 250+ Steam list, and probably 90% of those titles I bought at a fairly large discount.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 23, 2010

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

GreatGreen posted:

What is that, like close to 600 games? That's... hell I don't even know what to say about that. I feel awful about my 250+ Steam list, and probably 90% of those titles I bought at a fairly large discount.
PC games came in boxes for somewhere around 15 years and Steam is 6 years old. Let's check back with you again when your Steam account is 15 years old shall we?

I have somewhere over 200 game boxes myself, or would if I kept them all, but I probably paid less average for them than I did the games on my Steam account

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Threep posted:

PC games came in boxes for somewhere around 15 years and Steam is 6 years old. Let's check back with you again when your Steam account is 15 years old shall we?

I have somewhere over 200 game boxes myself, or would if I kept them all, but I probably paid less average for them than I did the games on my Steam account
The years after Pentiums arrived were actually glorious for me. I missed stuff like Quake the first time around, but 486-era software was going for $5-10. So many phenomenal games. But yeah, boxes were insanely big back then. I haven't kept any, except I think I saw that Ultima IX Dragon Edition box kicking around my parents' still the last time I was there.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

teethgrinder posted:

The years after Pentiums arrived were actually glorious for me. I missed stuff like Quake the first time around, but 486-era software was going for $5-10. So many phenomenal games. But yeah, boxes were insanely big back then. I haven't kept any, except I think I saw that Ultima IX Dragon Edition box kicking around my parents' still the last time I was there.

If it still has everything, you could get a decent amount of change for it on eBay. There's a "mint condition" one on there right now at $50.

I also checked the prices for Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, and Icewind Dale, and they're not OMFG RARE EXPENSIVE like you would expect, thank god.

As far as "rare" PC games go, look up NASCAR Racing 2003 Season, MVP Baseball 2005, and Star Trek: Armada II for laughs.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 23, 2010

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Oh poo poo. I have Nascar 2003. If any of those sell I will drop mine on there with no problem.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

OK, sorry if this has been covered guys, but I couldn't sift through over 100 pages for this...

The Arcanum that is on GOG - what's it like? Is it patchable with that user/fan stuff available online?

Or, put another way, if I get the GOG release, am I still able to have the best Arcanum experience currently possible? I have yet to play through this game, but really want to.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

BadAstronaut posted:

OK, sorry if this has been covered guys, but I couldn't sift through over 100 pages for this...

The Arcanum that is on GOG - what's it like? Is it patchable with that user/fan stuff available online?

Or, put another way, if I get the GOG release, am I still able to have the best Arcanum experience currently possible? I have yet to play through this game, but really want to.

All GOG does is ensure that a game can run for XP/Vista/7. I don't believe they've actually modified anything else thus far.

It's perfectly moddable but you really don't need to mod it. Some people will say you need this balance patch or that balance patch but it's perfectly fine vanilla. Magic is super overpowered but it doesn't mean you can't finish the game using guns.

I guess if you need to mod, though, you can. Just don't even think about installing anything by Chris Beddoes. They're awful.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If you're going to play Arcanum, get the community patch and Otto von Krupp's rebalance patch. Both will make the game better.

"You don't have to mod it" is not the same thing as "you shouldn't mod it," you know.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
I recently picked up the boxed version of Tex Murphy Overseer at a second hand store... it's the box that physically had an LED flashing in the lighthouse on the box, and it had a battery powering it. It's also giant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
And it's weekend deal time! This time it's Arcanum and VtM: Redemption (Note: This is NOT the same game as VtM: Bloodlines) at 30% off, putting them at around $4.20 :420: each.

Both games are well worth getting at that price. Arcanum is basically a steampunk Fallout, and Redemption is an action-RPG with some really cool ideas and atmosphere.