Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I usually end up with tons of lockpicks and so on because I collect as many explosives as possible and search levels for exploding barrels or crates. Why bother picking the lockers at the airport or in the MJ12 helipad base when you can just toss in a LAM and blow all the doors open?

I once spent 15 minutes schlepping the explosive crates from the subway station through the laser grid, up the stairs, and to every locked door and crate in Battery Park, then walked through the lasers and opened all those locks at once. Super fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Underflow posted:

Ah, okay. That same game I had 'bring the sword to TT' listed as an unfulfilled mission goal to the very end, so bug it is then.

The same thing happened to me in my last playthrough, though I never saw the Bob Page and Maggie conversation but there she was waiting for me at the UC

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
It was kind of weird when I was talking to Paul through one of those message hologram machines when deciding to be god or kill Bob Page or turn the world into a bunch of farming hippies, even though I already looted his corpse as a major goal in one of the earlier levels. I think that was a bug.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Carbohydrates posted:

A little late on the AJ cupboard discussion, but I like how it plays out. You can guess his user name from the format everyone else uses (first initial, last name) and his password, Calvo, is on a poster on the wall by his desk. If you check his email, there's a reminder he sent to himself that his closet password is 2001. Or you can hack the computer to get the password, or you can multitool the door. There's no lockpicking or brute force solution to this little puzzle, which may be intentional because AJ is a techy nerd so the three possible solutions are all techy.

Mmm, that's good game design.

One thing that I like about the game is how you can figure out some passwords and keypad codes by being clever (though hacking and multitools do make it a little unnecessary at times). For example there's a datapad or e-mail or something in Maggie Chow's apartment from a guy saying something like "sorry I forgot your birthday! July 18th is marked forever on my calendar!" and then later on there's a keypad with a three digit code...

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Underflow posted:

If this happens even when you do your exploring and vary between tools and brute force, you could reload after you find yet another locker with only cigarettes or candybars. It's not really cheating; it's your savegame and you've a right to use it, so don't let those level designers grind you down.
Or you can use the inventory screen cheat so you only need one lockpick/multitool regardless of the strength of the lock. :v:

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Incoherence posted:

Or you can use the inventory screen cheat so you only need one lockpick/multitool regardless of the strength of the lock. :v:

Shifter disabled that. I'll admit that it was a little disappointing. :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Cheekio posted:

It was kind of weird when I was talking to Paul through one of those message hologram machines when deciding to be god or kill Bob Page or turn the world into a bunch of farming hippies, even though I already looted his corpse as a major goal in one of the earlier levels. I think that was a bug.

Wait, what? :psyduck: The way I'm reading this either means you killed Paul or Bob Page somehow despite that being impossible...? Can you?

VVV Well, that makes a lot more sense.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 21, 2010

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Fnoigy posted:

I must REALLY suck at the game, because unless I carefully ration everything, I'm always almost out of lockpicks, multitools and/or biocells. Of course, if I'm trying to ration them, I'm always almost full, or AM full, kinda like the big gun ammo in every other game I've ever played.

I must play this game pretty OCD; I ended up with 20/20 lockpicks and multitools pretty quickly and have 30 biocells. Oh dear.

Usually everything can be hacked/ exploded/ key found on someone?

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

Alabaster White posted:

Wait, what? :psyduck: The way I'm reading this either means you killed Paul or Bob Page somehow despite that being impossible...? Can you?

He's just saying that Paul made an appearance later in the game despite having died during that part where you get to either save him or save yourself, which is not supposed to happen. The part about killing Bob Page is a reference to one of the objectives at the end of the game.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Underflow posted:

If this happens even when you do your exploring and vary between tools and brute force, you could reload after you find yet another locker with only cigarettes or candybars. It's not really cheating; it's your savegame and you've a right to use it, so don't let those level designers grind you down.

Pssff... Might as well open the console and type opensesame

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Incoherence posted:

drat, how do you do that?

Lowen SoDium posted:

Pssff... Might as well open the console and type opensesame

Haxors like you spoil it for the rest of us.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Underflow posted:

drat, how do you do that?

If you're not using Shifter, start picking/bypassing and then hit the hotkey to open your inventory screen. The lock or pad strength will keep draining while your inventory is open, so if you wait long enough it'll instantly pop open once you close your inventory. Voila: you can now pick 100% locks with a single pick and no lockpicking skill.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Angry Diplomat posted:

If you're not using Shifter, start picking/bypassing and then hit the hotkey to open your inventory screen. The lock or pad strength will keep draining while your inventory is open, so if you wait long enough it'll instantly pop open once you close your inventory. Voila: you can now pick 100% locks with a single pick and no lockpicking skill.

Grrreat, thanks a lot.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Deus Ex is full of poo poo. I hacked an alarm in the first level, went thru some lasers and THE ALARM WENT OFF ANYWAY and I died instantly because 2 guards came running around the corner. Oh, and no autosaving so back to the beginning for you!

There is nowhere near enough ammo, you have to stand still for about 5 seconds to aim accurately enough to hit someone 20 feet away when you have lvl 2 in pistols, the crossbow is the least stealthy weapon ever because even a headshot will leave them alive to alert everyone, and don't get me started on tranq darts... The guy in the military base wants 700 credits for a scope even though AT NO POINT are you given any way to earn money. If you want to go stealthily you have to crouch from about 100 feet away from someone all the way to them because the maps are so open. Rifles sway like crap, to the point of being useless... Need I go on?

It isn't an awful game, but IMO it just isn't good and I don't understand why everyone likes it so much...

Infinite Monkeys fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 21, 2010

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Quick Scoop posted:

:words:

That's a pretty good joke post. Well done.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Quick Scoop posted:

:words:

That's some quality trolling right there.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Quick Scoop posted:

Deus Ex is full of poo poo. I hacked an alarm in the first level, went thru some lasers and THE ALARM WENT OFF ANYWAY and I died instantly because 2 guards came running around the corner. Oh, and no autosaving so back to the beginning for you!

There is nowhere near enough ammo, you have to stand still for about 5 seconds to aim accurately enough to hit someone 20 feet away when you have lvl 2 in pistols, the crossbow is the least stealthy weapon ever because even a headshot will leave them alive to alert everyone, and don't get me started on tranq darts... The guy in the military base wants 700 credits for a scope even though AT NO POINT are you given any way to earn money. If you want to go stealthily you have to crouch from about 100 feet away from someone all the way to them because the maps are so open. Rifles sway like crap, to the point of being useless... Need I go on?

It isn't an awful game, but IMO it just isn't good and I don't understand why everyone likes it so much...

If the lasers were still on, you didn't hack them. The game isn't really meant to be a run and gun. They desgined more so you'd find some way to incapcitate the guards other than shooting them, or you can just sneak around them (their field of view is pretty terrible). To get money, you hack ATMs. Also, you should have earned quite a bit from the first 3 missions. Also if you like to use rifles, you have to upgrade the skill. It's really not all that bad

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
There was a time when one was taught not to question a man's choice of politics, religion, or woman; and never to spit on videogames with fanthreads exceeding 50 pages.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Quick Scoop posted:

There is nowhere near enough ammo(*), you have to stand still for about 5 seconds to aim accurately enough to hit someone 20 feet away when you have lvl 2 in pistols, the crossbow is the least stealthy weapon ever because even a headshot will leave them alive to alert everyone(*), and don't get me started on tranq darts... The guy in the military base wants 700 credits for a scope even though AT NO POINT are you given any way to earn money(*). If you want to go stealthily you have to crouch from about 100 feet away from someone all the way to them because the maps are so open(*). Rifles sway like crap(*), to the point of being useless... Need I go on?

It isn't an awful game, but IMO it just isn't good(*) and I don't understand why everyone likes it so much...
*Where you're wrong and I laughed at you.
Also, you hacked the wrong thing or didn't finish if the lasers didn't turn off. And dude, there's an ATM machine right in the level. C'mon.

Prod with the prod.

Ironsights posted:

The game isn't really meant to be a run and gun.
My last build begs to differ. :)

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
It's more that the game isn't meant to be easy, and the rewards aren't cheap and usually aren't very quick. The game requires thinking, creativity, and patience, which I think some people go in not realizing this, or just simply have none of these things.

I think Crysis suffers from the same problem, though it seems they drummed it up to false expectations. Like Deus Ex, Crysis is likely not what a lot of people would expect from a shooter, but if you're patient and take it for what it is, it's almost totally unmatched by anything else.

Though I do admit, the rifle is REALLY annoying to use scoped at first until you level up rifle skills and it stops swaying around like a frat boy on the verge of blacking out.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I think the guy hacked the actual alarm button and thought that would prevent the alarms from going off.

For reference guy, hacking an alarm button just means that there won't be an alarm if a guard pushes it. Hacking a giant red button on the wall doesn't magically disable the entire building's security system.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Quick Scoop posted:

lmbo good one

You hacked a single button, so if a guard tries pressing it, THAT won't trigger the alarm. I don't think autosaving existed when this game came out, and it's not a linear corridor shooter so where would you even put checkpoints, except area transitions?

There's plenty of ammo for everything except rifles and the prod at the beginning. Having to steady your aim will go away once you get past the first level and start spending that XP, I promise. Darts aren't a super high-damage weapon, but they shoot quietly and work underwater. Tranq darts will drop a guy in one single shot, they just take time to administer the toxin. You start with 500 credits, can get more from the ATM, and are awarded at least 1000 at the HQ building, all of which can be spent on the guy selling the scope if you want. There are credits lying around, too, like in the shed across from the statue's front door. Stealth is not that hard - I feel it's actually pretty forgiving in this game, given the AI's limited vision and propensity to give up searching for you if they don't find you in 30 seconds or so. Rifle sway, you're still untrained in rifles, aren't you?

A lot of people get turned off by the very first level because you're not a badass super agent yet and the game really doesn't hold your hand. Stick with it, get past level 1, see how you feel.

misplaced axon
Sep 23, 2009

Carbohydrates posted:

lmbo good one

You hacked a single button, so if a guard tries pressing it, THAT won't trigger the alarm. I don't think autosaving existed when this game came out, and it's not a linear corridor shooter so where would you even put checkpoints, except area transitions?

It says "saving" when you transition areas. I'll admit I was pretty surprised when I died and whatever this "saving" was doing wasn't creating game saves... lesson learned.

It's hard for me to compare to games of the time playing it 10 years after it came out. It is pretty weird that you can sneak past all these guys then open doors 50 yards away with a rocket launcher and no one seems to notice the noise.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

misplaced axon posted:

It says "saving" when you transition areas. I'll admit I was pretty surprised when I died and whatever this "saving" was doing wasn't creating game saves... lesson learned.
That one's fair enough. You can tell from the guy's post that he's still in the first level, though - he's talking about dying at the alarm/lasers outside Gunther's cell and restarting at the beginning of the level.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I had my moments when I first played through the first level too, where I just couldn't understand the appeal. Once I finished the first two missions, however, I was fully hooked and pretty much didn't stop playing until the last mission.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003
I... think I'm kind of liking where Invisible War is going. I think I have Stockholm Syndrome.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
Had I not played the demo (which was the first level) repeatedly, I probably would have hated it in the full game. The huge open spaces and just 'tons of poo poo' to do within it make it a perfect demo level though.

Joke post or no, that post is pretty spot on as far as people's criticisms. Even the tone is exact. I've got a friend who every so often tells me that he's 'tried' Deus Ex, then he proceeds to describe the first level smugly. There's also that one post a few pages back of someone who saw the 'twist' coming.

Yeah.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Liberty Island is pretty terrible if you don't immediately put all your points into rifle and pistol, even if you aren't trying to play it as run and gun. Anyone who doesn't believe this is blinded by nostalgia or overadaptation.

Thing is the game only gets better from there.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
To be honest, as soon as I saw the Tripartite (and I think Bilderberg) references early in the game, I was ready for Majestic 12, COINTEL PRO, MKULTRA, the Templars, Illuminati, and all the usual suspects. It's very well done, though; not at all over the top considering what a modern day developer would have done with it, i.e. a Dan Brown FPS.

Cybermg
Jul 1, 2005
Yeah, it's actually a pretty fair criticism of the first level, which dumps you into the middle of everything when you don't really have a clue how the game is played (even after doing the tutorial). Anyone just picking it up for the first time will probably also be bitten by the lack of autosave, and probably have to redo most of liberty island.

All I can say is just keep playing because it gets better.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Liberty Island is pretty terrible if you don't immediately put all your points into rifle and pistol, even if you aren't trying to play it as run and gun. Anyone who doesn't believe this is blinded by nostalgia or overadaptation.

Thing is the game only gets better from there.

Not really. The AI is so terrible stealth is ludicrously easy in such wide areas. For me that's my main criticism of Liberty Island - it really shows off the terrible FOV and general perceptiveness of enemies.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar

Underflow posted:

To be honest, as soon as I saw the Tripartite (and I think Bilderberg) references early in the game, I was ready for Majestic 12, COINTEL PRO, MKULTRA, the Templars, Illuminati, and all the usual suspects. It's very well done, though; not at all over the top considering what a modern day developer would have done with it, i.e. a Dan Brown FPS.

I'd play this.

Press X to Save The Day.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Le Sean posted:

I'd play this.

Press X to Save The Day.

Only when the end boss is Dan Brown himself, and the plot calls for sequestering him in a crate full of razorblades. When he finally apologises for his abyssmal writing, you throw him to the Vatican's wild boar squadron, trained to devour those who have that infidel smell.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Frankosity posted:

Not really. The AI is so terrible stealth is ludicrously easy in such wide areas. For me that's my main criticism of Liberty Island - it really shows off the terrible FOV and general perceptiveness of enemies.

I said terrible, not difficult. You can stealth through it without a care in the world, but the wide open map design means you're going to be crawling around for ages to get anywhere, and if you didn't put points in weapon skills (which was my qualifier for how to make the first level not-terrible in the first place) you're going to have to sit around waiting even longer to get a good shot off at anyone.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
You can pretty much run the entirety of Liberty Island without a single enemy noticing you. The only places where you need to be even mildly concerned about keeping your head down are if you're going to see Filben, because the wooden dock amplifies your footsteps, and inside the statue itself. Otherwise, the holes in the patrols are so huge you can breeze through without anyone noticing you.

I'd say it takes a lot longer to sit around lining up headshots, even at Advanced skill.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Frankosity posted:

You can pretty much run the entirety of Liberty Island without a single enemy noticing you.

Maybe you can, but as someone who's played Liberty Island 2-3 times, bullshit. You'd have guards aggro'd by the time you're a few steps off the docks.

Now, maybe that's a useful learning tool for the rest of the game. Doesn't change the fact that playing LI for the first time is easily the worst part of the game for all the reasons I've mentioned.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Maybe you can, but as someone who's played Liberty Island 2-3 times, bullshit. You'd have guards aggro'd by the time you're a few steps off the docks.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that - That very first bit always gets me. Okay, there's three places where stealth is a concern.

I don't disagree that Liberty Island wasn't the best way of introducing people to the game, but I don't agree that it's bad enough that you have to level up skills you wouldn't otherwise use in order to progress smoothly.

E: vvv I don't think someone's a retard for not being a god-tier sperglord at the game, personally vvv

Zeerust fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 21, 2010

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Now, maybe that's a useful learning tool for the rest of the game. Doesn't change the fact that playing LI for the first time is easily the worst part of the game for all the reasons I've mentioned.

Then you're a retard that can't figure out not to walk directly in front of guards. I can literally run through liberty island without taking a single hit.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

KillHour posted:

Then you're a retard that can't figure out not to walk directly in front of guards. I can literally run through liberty island without taking a single hit.

So did you do that the first time you ever booted up the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So did you do that the first time you ever booted up the game?

No, I prodded everyone with the prod. Also, I was 11.

Edit: To be fair, I've yet to beat the stealth course in the training mission without cheesing it with the thermoptic camo. Although, I'm sure I could do it now. Don't really have any desire to, though.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 22, 2010