Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

KillHour posted:

No, I prodded everyone with the prod. Also, I was 11.

Edit: To be fair, I've yet to beat the stealth course in the training mission without cheesing it with the thermoptic camo. Although, I'm sure I could do it now. Don't really have any desire to, though.

Then congratulations for replying to "this is a poor introduction for players who have never played Deus Ex before" with "you're a retarded noob."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
The first level seemed a bit daunting to me as well the first time. But it has everything to prepare you for later levels and there are plenty of places to bide your time, so it's not too surprising they don't throw you into Hell's Kitchen immediately.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Quick Scoop posted:

The guy in the military base wants 700 credits for a scope even though AT NO POINT are you given any way to earn money.

This is a perfectly valid criticism, Deus Ex's economy is brutal to newcomers as anybody who spent 2000 credits on a pair of single-use nightvision goggles from Smuggler will tell you.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Then congratulations for replying to "this is a poor introduction for players who have never played Deus Ex before" with "you're a retarded noob."

No, I'm replying to "Liberty Island sucks because it's too hard, and I'm a retard."

Is it a bit jarring to have almost no direction the first time you play? Yeah. Is it pretty much a crash course? Sure. Is it impossible to do without using guns? No. Is it too hard? Not in the slightest.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This is a perfectly valid criticism, Deus Ex's economy is brutal to newcomers as anybody who spent 2000 credits on a pair of single-use nightvision goggles from Smuggler will tell you.

Yeah, but being taken to the bank by a black market dealer makes sense when you think about it. Besides, there's nothing you really need money for, so it's not like it gimps you.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 22, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

KillHour posted:

No, I'm replying to "Liberty Island sucks because it's too hard, and I'm a retard."

Is it a bit jarring to have almost no direction the first time you play? Yeah. Is it pretty much a crash course? Sure. Is it impossible to do without using guns? No. Is it too hard? Not in the slightest.

I said literally a page ago that Liberty Island isn't hard, just tedious.

Mostly because depending on your decision you have few or no weapon skills (making the run-and-gun approach a matter of slowly lining up headshots) and, having never played the game before you probably don't know every guard and explosive placement, so stealth takes a while.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 22, 2010

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I said literally a page ago that Liberty Island isn't hard, just tedious.

It's not even tedious. It was designed so you could spend an hour exploring every nook and cranny, or you could literally finish it in 3 or 4 minutes. 6 if you take the time to break Gunther out.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

KillHour posted:

It's not even tedious. It was designed so you could spend an hour exploring every nook and cranny, or you could literally finish it in 3 or 4 minutes. 6 if you take the time to break Gunther out.

Or 45 seconds if you chuck a gas grenade at the UNATCO HQ.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

KillHour posted:

You're talking about things you know from experience. I'm talking about the level's function as a tutorial and as an introduction to what the rest of the game plays like. (Which, for the most part, is "much more fun than Liberty Island!")

But go ahead and keep calling me a retard while I explain the pretty common experience of people who don't get into the game on their first try.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 22, 2010

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You're talking about things you know from experience. I'm talking about the level's function as a tutorial and as an introduction to what the rest of the game plays like. (Which, for the most part, is "much more fun than Liberty Island!")

But go ahead and keep calling me a retard while I explain the pretty common experience of people who don't get into the game on their first try.

The reason people don't get into the game on their first try is because they don't go into it in the right mindset, not because Liberty Island sucks. It's a great tutorial level because it really highlights the "this isn't your average shooter" aspect. If you don't get that, then you are a retard.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

KillHour posted:

The reason people don't get into the game on their first try is because they don't go into it in the right mindset, not because Liberty Island sucks. It's a great tutorial level because it really highlights the "this isn't your average shooter" aspect. If you don't get that, then you are a retard.

Whatever. Go on believing there are literally no flaws in the game whatsoever if you want. I'm glad I'm already sold on it, because hearing people defend the first level made me think they were all insane to praise the game at all.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Quick Scoop posted:

Deus Ex is full of poo poo. I hacked an alarm in the first level, went thru some lasers and THE ALARM WENT OFF ANYWAY and I died instantly because 2 guards came running around the corner. Oh, and no autosaving so back to the beginning for you!

There is nowhere near enough ammo, you have to stand still for about 5 seconds to aim accurately enough to hit someone 20 feet away when you have lvl 2 in pistols, the crossbow is the least stealthy weapon ever because even a headshot will leave them alive to alert everyone, and don't get me started on tranq darts... The guy in the military base wants 700 credits for a scope even though AT NO POINT are you given any way to earn money. If you want to go stealthily you have to crouch from about 100 feet away from someone all the way to them because the maps are so open. Rifles sway like crap, to the point of being useless... Need I go on?

It isn't an awful game, but IMO it just isn't good and I don't understand why everyone likes it so much...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Whatever. Go on believing there are literally no flaws in the game whatsoever if you want. I'm glad I'm already sold on it, because hearing people defend the first level made me think they were all insane to praise the game at all.

There are tons of flaws in the game. Liberty Island being boring is not one of them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

KillHour posted:

There are tons of flaws in the game. Liberty Island being boring is not one of them.

Liberty Island frequently leaves people with Quick Scoop's impression of the game when three levels later you can be happily sniping and gunning your way across the rooftops if that's how you want to play. It might even be a great level, but it's still a lovely introduction.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Liberty Island frequently leaves people with Quick Scoop's impression of the game when three levels later you can be happily sniping and gunning your way across the rooftops if that's how you want to play. It might even be a great level, but it's still a lovely introduction.

It's not the introduction. There is a tutorial level, you know. That just leaves it as a great level.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Liberty Island is objectively an awful introduction to the rest of the game. Calling people who didn't pick up the game with the right "mind set" retards is plain stupid.

Cybermg
Jul 1, 2005
You can think what you want Killhour, but I'll also chime in to say that Liberty Island is both a terrible introduction and level. For reference, a good level isn't one that you have to be a seasoned expert at the game to enjoy.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

KillHour posted:

It's not the introduction. There is a tutorial level, you know. That just leaves it as a great level.

Don't be obtuse. The tutorial level is great at what it does (telling you what everything does, mostly) but it doesn't put you into a real gameplay situation until the very end, and when it does it makes combat almost a non-option. Liberty Island is still very much an introduction to the mechanics of the game, especially if you're actually interested in playing the game like a shooter.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 22, 2010

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
I hated the second level a lot more. I had no clue where to go for a bit after I lost Anna and would routinely lack lockpicks or candybars to give that kid, so I'd skip that section to head to the subway, which seemed cheesy overall--a mission-critical zone lined with vents, uh huh--only to lead to your introduction to New York, which is actually the size of your backyard.

Which bar do you go to? Oh, The bar. Where is it? It's down The street, next to The basketball court in front of The alley.

Level 2 was definitely my Level 1; at least LI you can cheese. Lure guard one to your brother/security bot, lure the 2 guards in the middle toward Unatco HQ, sneak in with the code, run up the top flight of stairs to end the the level. Level 2 makes me feel like a jerk, since I always tell the kid I don't have any food after eating a snickers in his face.

Cybermg
Jul 1, 2005

Le Sean posted:

Level 2 makes me feel like a jerk, since I always tell the kid I don't have any food after eating a snickers in his face.

I don't think this can be reposted enough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ltjmjSa2GE

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

If I'm thinking of the right one level 2 is great, it's where you first start really seeing things like Anna Navarre responding to you differently based on how you dealt with the first level, the different outcomes to the hostage situation in the hotel - basically the open world RPG side of the game starts shining through.

Also most combat is at very close range, and now you (probably) have grenades.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Cybermg posted:

I don't think this can be reposted enough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ltjmjSa2GE

I still think that would have been much better if he'd just said "I don't have any food" while hoarding the giant pile of chocolate bars and soda pop.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

The Supreme Court posted:

Liberty Island is objectively an awful introduction to the rest of the game. Calling people who didn't pick up the game with the right "mind set" retards is plain stupid.

No, Liberty Island is loving fantastic. If people are too stupid to play a nonlinear game, they are too stupid to play a nonlinear game.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
When you first play Deus Ex, Liberty Island is awful because you don't know what to do, you don't know the game mechanics, so you end up dying a lot, get frustrated and quit.

On later runs it's fantastic because you know how the game works and it's probably one of the more in-depth levels in the game.

Epicurus
Jan 18, 2008
I hope I can change my title later on...
When I played the tutorial, I was so traumatized by the security bot Molesting me until my legs were crippled that I did a great job on Liberty Island because I didn't even remotely consider trying the front door. I just snuck up the back of the tower and bob's your uncle.

In fact I don't really see what's so bad about it except that you would probably have godawful accuracy at first?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Epicurus posted:

When I played the tutorial, I was so traumatized by the security bot Molesting me until my legs were crippled that I did a great job on Liberty Island because I didn't even remotely consider trying the front door. I just snuck up the back of the tower and bob's your uncle.

In fact I don't really see what's so bad about it except that you would probably have godawful accuracy at first?

The big problems I had were with not really knowing how the stealth system worked, picking the wrong weapon (HERP DERP THIS CROSSBOW WILL BE HANDY) and then trying to run and gun because I have a gun so it's obviously a shooter!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

God, I'm terrible at this, I stole the hard part, and I still can't make it look right. Oh well.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I had no idea that having your legs blown off in the tutorial was such a universal experience. I had to crawl my way through the finishing section, limped and bloodied, and the guy at the end just congratulates me for a job well done or something. The tutorial was pretty bad all things considered, but got me more ready for the game than if I had just jumped right in.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
What's up with screenshots? I took a shot of the false floor in Jacobson's office to show people, but it saves as a .bmp that nothing appears to be able to open.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I love Deus Ex but honestly the lovely first level is what stops me from replaying as much as you guys do. I've only beaten it like 3 or so times. Even reading this thread I constantly find myself thinking "eeeehhrrggghhhh Liberty Island again" though this probably stems from playing the beginning areas too many times. Honestly up until you take out the NSF generator in the warehouse is kind of a drag for me now.

Also people were commenting on how levels are cool because they look like actual places. Liberty Island, more than any other area in the game, didn't feel like a real place. I mean, granted, I've never BEEN to Liberty Island but the layout in Deus Ex makes no sense at all. Do you really get off a tiny dock and just go over to the statue? What's up with the lovely looking dock that Filben is on? What's up with all these giant boxes I can jump on? Why are they there, how did they even get there, what the gently caress is even inside them? Why are there like 20 total terrorists taking over the statue that is literally right next to UNATCO's base of operations? I mean gently caress there's a terrorist patrolling within a stone's throw of the main loving gate. The whole thing seems stupid.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 22, 2010

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I love Deus Ex but honestly the lovely first level is what stops me from replaying as much as you guys do. I've only beaten it like 3 or so times. Even reading this thread I constantly find myself thinking "eeeehhrrggghhhh Liberty Island again" though this probably stems from playing the beginning areas too many times. Honestly up until you take out the NSF generator in the warehouse is kind of a drag for me now.

Also people were commenting on how levels are cool because they look like actual places. Liberty Island, more than any other area in the game, didn't feel like a real place. I mean, granted, I've never BEEN to Liberty Island but the layout in Deus Ex makes no sense at all. Do you really get off a tiny dock and just go over to the statue? What's up with the lovely looking dock that Filben is on? What's up with all these giant boxes I can jump on? Why are they there, how did they even get there, what the gently caress is even inside them? Why are there like 20 total terrorists taking over the statue that is literally right next to UNATCO's base of operations? I mean gently caress there's a terrorist patrolling within a stone's throw of the main loving gate. The whole thing seems stupid.

Liberty island from the air. The version in Deus Ex is scaled down and rearranged somewhat, but the general layout is about right: the L-shaped dock is where you start, the T-shaped one is where you meet Filben, and you can see the brick walkway around the outside, the plaza leading up to the entrance, the star-shaped base of the statue, etc. You do indeed get off the dock and basically walk up to the statue. So yeah aside from the scale it's about right.

I'm not sure why UNATCO is based on the island, that's just part of the in-game lore -- but Alex tells you specifically that the NSF raided the island and has only been at it for about an hour. They've been telling the UNATCO troops to hold back specifically to try out their new agent, ie., you. Presumably if you weren't there the troopers and bots would have mopped up the NSF pretty fast yeah.

Crates are just part of Deus Ex. Everything is crates.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

KillHour posted:

God, I'm terrible at this, I stole the hard part, and I still can't make it look right. Oh well.

just in case though, we're police

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

KillHour posted:

Doesn't he say "you're a jackass"?

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

orange lime posted:

Liberty island from the air. The version in Deus Ex is scaled down and rearranged somewhat, but the general layout is about right: the L-shaped dock is where you start, the T-shaped one is where you meet Filben, and you can see the brick walkway around the outside, the plaza leading up to the entrance, the star-shaped base of the statue, etc. You do indeed get off the dock and basically walk up to the statue. So yeah aside from the scale it's about right.

That's really, really cool. Though I think they didn't get much of any other part of the game very good.

What a shame.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

orange lime posted:

That he does. I may fix it tomorrow, or not. It's not really very good to begin with. v:shobon:v

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

orange lime posted:

Paul says "You're a complete jackass." However, the internal game flag is BPlayerIsAnAsshole=True.

Bonus quiz: Deus Ex uses the word 'poo poo' in exactly one spot. Who says it and where?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gynovore posted:

Paul says "You're a complete jackass." However, the internal game flag is BPlayerIsAnAsshole=True.

Bonus quiz: Deus Ex uses the word 'poo poo' in exactly one spot. Who says it and where?

A bum outside the 'ton hotel the first time you get to hell's kitchen, I think. I think it's something like "stay away from the ton, bad poo poo goin down"

I could swear I've heard poo poo more than once though. Maybe I'm thinking of gently caress?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Gynovore posted:

False - the bum outside of the 'ton says that there's "bad poo poo going down" and El Ray says that he sells "hardcore munitions and poo poo". There might be others but those are off the top of my head.

Edit: Oh and Manderley's "No poo poo" when you kill Navarre. I don't know how that slipped my mind.

Edit 2: I did a search in the script posted on GameFAQs and Harley Filben also says "No poo poo" twice and the pimp harassing Sandra says "bullshit".

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 22, 2010

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
^^^ Yes.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I could swear I've heard poo poo more than once though. Maybe I'm thinking of gently caress?

I have this niggling feeling that Manderley said it at least once, too?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

BattleMaster posted:

False - the bum outside of the 'ton says that there's "bad poo poo going down" and El Ray says that he sells "hardcore munitions and poo poo". There might be others but those are off the top of my head.

Edit: Oh and Manderley's "No poo poo" when you kill Navarre. I don't know how that slipped my mind.

Edit 2: I did a search in the script posted on GameFAQs and Harley Filben also says "No poo poo" twice and the pimp harassing Sandra says "bullshit".

Hmmm, more poo poo than I thought :shivdurf: I was thinking of Harley Filben; when you kill Joe Green, he says "No poo poo, you finally joined our side". I remember the bum in front of the 'ton now, don't remember Manderly or the pimp. (I always choose the 'ten second' option with the pimp. It's just too cool not to.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

orange lime posted:

Well I'll be damned. I feel kinda dumb now.

orange lime posted:

Crates are just part of Deus Ex. Everything is crates.

True dat. Guess I forgot what game we were talking about.