Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

HaterBaby posted:

I am hoping for some magic sound card especially suited for 2.1 speakers and will sound really great.

Have you tested your sound card with good headphones or speakers yet? I'm pretty sure you'll be satisfied with it and would do better to invest the money into better speakers. There's a known problem of interference with some integrated soundcards which will limit the maximum volume you can get out of the system. Best bet would be to test first and decide on sound card purchase after testing.

Speaking of which, what's your budget? If you're willing to spend a little, I think you'll be happy with Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. If you're willing to spend a lot, get a cheap receiver and good speakers that please your ear: that's what I have done for the past 15 years or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
I'm still using my old ipod as my primary mp3 player and I'd love to be able to use it to play flac. Is there any software that would allow for this to happen?

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

McKracken posted:

I'm still using my old ipod as my primary mp3 player and I'd love to be able to use it to play flac. Is there any software that would allow for this to happen?

Use SoundConverter to switch them all to ALAC and you're golden.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

fahrvergnugen posted:

Use SoundConverter to switch them all to ALAC and you're golden.

Or if it's old enough, you could install RockBox

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.
I'm about to buy a Fatman iValve dock:

http://www.fat-man.co.uk/docs/product_07/iTube_ValveDock.shtml

Any recommendations for some nice shelf speakers with a good range of sound, they don't have to be hugely loud, just produce a full warm sound.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
What's your budget? It's impossible to recommend anything without having some idea how much you are willing to spend.

For shelf speakers I'd suggest you try out Paradigm Monitors, start from Atoms and go up if you feel you need more depth in sound. They're pretty hard to locate so browse a shop near you from manufacturers website.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

parasyte posted:

Or if it's old enough, you could install RockBox

Awesome, I was tentatively resigned to having to convert a few thousand files but I have a 5th gen ipod so I can install this firmware. Thanks.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Slowpoke! posted:

I searched this thread and someone suggested lopping off the end of an RCA cable and sticking the wire into the sub. I'll try that once my life insurance policy is out of the waiting period.

Yeah, no. I can guarantee this won't work

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

vanilla slimfast posted:

Yeah, no. I can guarantee this won't work

To clarify, a guy earlier in the thread had a pair of speakers that used RCA for high-level input and wanted to use them with a newer receiver with binding post outputs. Passive speakers haven't used RCA for decades.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

eddiewalker posted:

To clarify, a guy earlier in the thread had a pair of speakers that used RCA for high-level input and wanted to use them with a newer receiver with binding post outputs. Passive speakers haven't used RCA for decades.

That was me, I believe. I did cut the end off of the RCA cables coming out of the speakers and they worked beautifully.

For my other speakers, which were higher-end Pioneers from the 70s, I didn't want to destroy the cables, so I ended up buying these, which have worked amazingly well.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
Okay, hopefully this doesn't deserve it's own thread, or maybe someone can at least help me out here. I've owned my Yahama RX-V663 receiver for over 2 years now and tonight after I got home I started to have my first problems, and I'm not sure what to do.
After turning it on, and turning on my PS3, I noticed that everything was black and that the HDMI icon was not showing up. So I turned everything off, and then back on, same problem. I tried switching HDMI cables, and nothing happened. I then unplugged everything HDMI related and plugged it in one by one. This is where things get weird. When I turned on the PS3, it worked fine, but when I plugged in my cable box, everything went black. So I turned it off again, and only plugged in the PS3 and everything was working, but it only worked for about 5 minutes before the HDMI icon went out and the screen black again. I plugged the PS3 HDMI cable directly into the TV, and no issues appeared, and it ran perfectly. I tried plugging in the cable box with HDMI, but no picture came up.
I've tried to doing a system reset, but alas, no luck.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Chalk me up for another 'this probably doesn't deserve it's own thread' type - I have a quick (check) surround sound (check) question.

Recently, my beloved (and incredibly, sub-£50, cheap) Acoustic Solutions DS-1233 died on me and I've been looking at getting a new setup.

I managed to find a Sony DAV LF1 for aound £300 and I was wondering if anyone has any experice with it?

Most of the reviews I've read have said that it's style over function and that navigation is awkward, as well as the 'wireless' speakers not being quite up to snuff.

I'm no rampaging audiophile - I'll be using this mainly with my PS3 (and only then for audio) - but I was wondering if anyone has had personal experience with one of these? The reviews seem mixed at best.

Famicom Bunko
Jan 30, 2005
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
I've got a quick subwoofer question. I've had this JVC Compact System for a while and it has a subwoofer output, but didn't come with a subwoofer. All it is is a single composite audio cable port and says I can use a "amplifier-built-in" subwoofer.

I am not sure what what type of subwoofer would actually work with this, does anyone know?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Famicom Bunko posted:

I am not sure what what type of subwoofer would actually work with this, does anyone know?

Probably any normal subwoofer with in-built amp works. To give you some idea, most any of these should be fine.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Famicom Bunko posted:

I've got a quick subwoofer question. I've had this JVC Compact System for a while and it has a subwoofer output, but didn't come with a subwoofer. All it is is a single composite audio cable port and says I can use a "amplifier-built-in" subwoofer.

Hob beat me to this..

Almost any self powered subwoofer will work.

Here is a typical subwoofer amp panel.

For this sub, you would run an RCA cable from the sub out on your JVC to one of the rca inputs labelled 'unbalanced' in the image.

You could optionally use a small Y splitter like this

to allow you to connect to both RCA inputs.

Your JVC manual indicates that your unit has a built in crossover that auto engages when you have a subwoofer connected and you select subwoofer 'on'. (no info on what the crossover freq is, and no way to change it however)

In this case you would want to bypass the crossover on the sub, in the image above you would set the Low Pass Filter switch to 'Bypass'. If no bypass switch, you would turn the sub's crossover control to full right, high as it goes.

Famicom Bunko
Jan 30, 2005
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
Yay! Thanks! I figured it was as simple as that, but some of the subs I've seen had inputs for speaker wire and other stuff so I got scared.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

Right. I was referring to trying to wire up a passive subwoofer to a receiver pre-out

Famicom Bunko posted:

Yay! Thanks! I figured it was as simple as that, but some of the subs I've seen had inputs for speaker wire and other stuff so I got scared.

Yep, those would be passive subs which require an external amp

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

vanilla slimfast posted:

Yep, those would be passive subs which require an external amp

Nah, not always. There are plenty of active subwoofers with binding posts in and out for you to pass your front speakers through just so the sub can pick up a signal when a receiver doesn't have a sub-out. The sub is still driven by its own plate amp in those cases.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Background: Something is wrong with my line-out from my computer's HD Audio integrated sound so I've been using the front panel AC97 headphone line out. My speakers aren't great (Logitech Z4), but I've got a semi-decent pair of headphones (Sennheiser HD280s).

I was thinking about using the SPDIF out on my motherboard - how much of a noticeable improvement would this give me? If it's worth it, what's the cheapest way to convert SPDIF to 3.5mm line out? I'm a college student and I don't have a receiver and unless the difference is life-changing I'd rather not spend over $100. Would a sound card be a better choice? If so, what would you recommend?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

brainwrinkle posted:

Background: Something is wrong with my line-out from my computer's HD Audio integrated sound so I've been using the front panel AC97 headphone line out. My speakers aren't great (Logitech Z4), but I've got a semi-decent pair of headphones (Sennheiser HD280s).

I was thinking about using the SPDIF out on my motherboard - how much of a noticeable improvement would this give me? If it's worth it, what's the cheapest way to convert SPDIF to 3.5mm line out? I'm a college student and I don't have a receiver and unless the difference is life-changing I'd rather not spend over $100. Would a sound card be a better choice? If so, what would you recommend?

SPDIF is digital, 3.5mm is analog. Only way to get between them is with a digital audio converter. Unless you're dealing with a tremendous amount of RF interference on your analog 3.5mm linkup between the motherboard and the speakers, or a lot of signal noise coming from the motherboard, you're not going to notice any difference.

The compelling reason to hook up SPDIF is to take advantage of surround sound

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

vanilla slimfast posted:

SPDIF is digital, 3.5mm is analog. Only way to get between them is with a digital audio converter. Unless you're dealing with a tremendous amount of RF interference on your analog 3.5mm linkup between the motherboard and the speakers, or a lot of signal noise coming from the motherboard, you're not going to notice any difference.

The compelling reason to hook up SPDIF is to take advantage of surround sound

Thanks for the advice! I don't notice any interference from the front panel audio unless I have a USB flash drive plugged in right next to it so it isn't a problem. I'll just save my money for now and buy a real home theater system when I graduate and get a job then.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Flint_Paper posted:

Chalk me up for another 'this probably doesn't deserve it's own thread' type - I have a quick (check) surround sound (check) question.

Recently, my beloved (and incredibly, sub-£50, cheap) Acoustic Solutions DS-1233 died on me and I've been looking at getting a new setup.

I managed to find a Sony DAV LF1 for aound £300 and I was wondering if anyone has any experice with it?

Most of the reviews I've read have said that it's style over function and that navigation is awkward, as well as the 'wireless' speakers not being quite up to snuff.

I'm no rampaging audiophile - I'll be using this mainly with my PS3 (and only then for audio) - but I was wondering if anyone has had personal experience with one of these? The reviews seem mixed at best.

Problem solved. I went waaaaay the other way and bought a Sony STR DH800 amp and a sexy rear end Wharfdale sub.

My wallet :doh:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Just a general question, is there an XM/Sirius megathread anywhere?

I'm utterly confused where to post a question about online streaming and the iPhone app (most of my questions are pertaining to the price plan so the last thing I want to do is poo poo up the iPhone thread). I also didn't want to poo poo up A/V with another thread, but I think this is the best place to ask. Or am I completely off base here? If I am I apologize profusely. (I don't have search and there doesn't seem to be a links section in the FAQ thread)

ho mercy
Jul 8, 2006

Did you mean: dudefarts Top 2 results shown
I'd like to get a decent audio setup that would be sub-$250. I posted in SH/SC about the sound card in particular, but didn't get a response.

quote:

The onboard sound in my computer is completely terrible and gives off an intense amount of static, especially in the headphone jack. I'm assuming that a sound card will make that issue irrelevant, so I'm looking to buy something. But does buying something sub-$50 or so make sense?

What about this (http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=46389&vpn=Xonar%20DS&manufacture=ASUS) or (http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=40433&vpn=X-Raider%207.1&manufacture=AuzenTech&promoid=1021)?

That takes off around $30-50 from the total assuming it's worth it, so what would be a recommendation for $200 2.1 speakers?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

ho mercy posted:

That takes off around $30-50 from the total assuming it's worth it, so what would be a recommendation for $200 2.1 speakers?

If you get static, it's worth it. Try looking for Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 as your speakers. I'm guessing you need active speakers?

ho mercy
Jul 8, 2006

Did you mean: dudefarts Top 2 results shown

Hob_Gadling posted:

If you get static, it's worth it. Try looking for Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 as your speakers. I'm guessing you need active speakers?

I was looking at those, but wasn't sure if something newer had come that superseded it. I do need active speakers; do you have any opinion on the sound cards? Thanks for the help.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Can't help you with soundcards, I got the cheapest $25 card I could find and have been happy with that. Sorry.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
I'm using a pair of Audio Technica A900s with the default audio software on my motherboard. My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P, which supposedly has "support for Dolby Home Theater".

Now I've been thinking about getting an Astrogaming Mixamp so that I can have easy volume control over my headphones and better quality, with good upmixing.

However, since my mobo has Dolby Home Theater, I have been considering just getting a fairly priced set of 2.1 speakers with a remote that I can plug my headphones into, since according to the description on Dolby's site, DHT also upmixes to surround for headphones.

The problem is, I don't know if my mobo actually has Dolby Home Theater, since it says "support" for DHT and I cannot find any sort of dolby menu or anything dolby related on my computer. What's the deal? Does my motherboard have dolby home theater or not? :psyduck:

EDIT: I found the dolby tab, just gave me an option for PLIIx and natural bass. I guess it is just inherent?

Stoic Commie fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 27, 2010

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I scanned through the first few pages and didn't see a megathread to post in so here goes, sorry if I missed the appropriate thread.

Dad's looking for a new 5.1 reciever.

He asked about these three:

Denon AVR-591
http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/5302.asp

Denon AVR-791
http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/5308.asp

Onkyo TX-SR608
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?class=Receiver&m=TX-SR608

Harmon Kardon AVR1600
http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-AVR1600-Performance-7-1-Channel/dp/B002IKKFTQ

We're currently leaning towards the Onkyo because of it's connectivity options for our legacy horseshit, local place has it for 449.00 and they warranty it out of their shop for two years.

We've got a wii, HDMI cable box, old rear end dvd/cd player, 360, old xbmc xbox, and we hook laptops up occasionally.

Budget is 450ish. Anyone got any other suggestions or is the Onkyo the good buy.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Slow is Fast posted:

Budget is 450ish. Anyone got any other suggestions or is the Onkyo the good buy.

Depending on how you want to connect Wii and old Xbox, you could consider Denon AVR-391 and Sony BDP-S570 Blu-Ray player or some other Blu-Ray player of your choice. With any luck, the linked BR player could also replace the xbmc box you now use, simplifying the setup further (check player details against your usage). Denon AVR-391 is the new entry-level model so no frills there, but it should have all the basics covered.

The more HDMI devices you have, the less headache you'll suffer when trying to get everything to work.

Then again, the Onkyo has Audyssey which is a good thing and really nice connectivity. You didn't say what you use to hook up the laptops; Onkyo has HDMI on the front panel in case you want to use that. It also has a good number of HDMI inputs in general, which might be important to you.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Hob_Gadling posted:

Have you tested your sound card with good headphones or speakers yet? I'm pretty sure you'll be satisfied with it and would do better to invest the money into better speakers. There's a known problem of interference with some integrated soundcards which will limit the maximum volume you can get out of the system. Best bet would be to test first and decide on sound card purchase after testing.

Speaking of which, what's your budget? If you're willing to spend a little, I think you'll be happy with Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. If you're willing to spend a lot, get a cheap receiver and good speakers that please your ear: that's what I have done for the past 15 years or so.
Hey man, thank you so much for your help. It's been more than I week since I asked for help, so sorry for the delay. I'll probably get those speakers as they were right in my price range and see how they work out.

You wouldn't have any recommendations for a sound card that would plug into a usb 2.0 port, would you? Are those even any good?

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Is it possible to connect a 3.5 mm plug into a 5-pin DIN ? Couldn't find anything like an adapter with my googling.

I've got an old made-in-the-USSR record player (Вега-108-стерео) and I'd like to use headphones with it.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Angryhead posted:

Is it possible to connect a 3.5 mm plug into a 5-pin DIN ? Couldn't find anything like an adapter with my googling.

Yes, but without an amplifier it will probably sound like crap (caveat: I'm not familiar with that record player so it might not). If your local electronics shop doesn't carry a 5-pin to minidin adapter, you should be able to find at least 5-pin to RCA adapter and combine that with RCA to 3,5mm plug adapter.

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose

Lt Moose fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 4, 2016

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Lt Moose posted:

I picked up some older Cerwin Vega speakers on Craigslist. The larger ones can handle 225wrms @ 6ohms and the smaller ones 125wrms @ 6ohms.

Is there anything wrong with me gettingthis amplifier and this RCA to XLR cable (for audio input) and hooking it up?
I already have a receiver I can use as a preamp, so I shouldn't have to worry about that.

There's no real problem with that plan. The amp probably just uses two pins of the xlr anyways.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Hob_Gadling posted:

Yes, but without an amplifier it will probably sound like crap (caveat: I'm not familiar with that record player so it might not). If your local electronics shop doesn't carry a 5-pin to minidin adapter, you should be able to find at least 5-pin to RCA adapter and combine that with RCA to 3,5mm plug adapter.

Not like crap. It will probably barely sound at all. Also, what about volume control?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

Not like crap. It will probably barely sound at all. Also, what about volume control?

There's a chance that the record player in question has an inbuilt speaker and thus some amplification and volume control in itself. A lot of old soviet stuff was built to work as standalone units. Can't find the details on that particular player though, so all bets are off.

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose

Lt Moose fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 4, 2016

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Lt Moose posted:

Excellent! I will pick this up then.

Another, probably silly question, but I'm curious what can I expect from a more powerful amplifier? The ability for the speaker to go louder? Right now I just hooked them up the that receiver I mentioned, but it only does something like 80wrms.

It's possible to ruin speakers by trying to squeeze more volume out of an inadequate amp. If you clip the input trying to go louder, it will square off the waves.

The dashed green lines are the maximum operating limits of your amp, and the blue waves are a clean signal on the left, and a signal exceeding those limits on the right.

During the flat tops and bottoms of the offending wave, current is being fed to the speaker's voice coil to keep it pushed in or out, but the coil isn't moving. Moving is what keeps it cool. Enough of those prolonged excursions can melt the coil.

Of course, it'd sound like garbage in the process, so its not like you're doing damage now, but yea, a beefier amp can take the speakers louder more safely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Hob_Gadling posted:

There's a chance that the record player in question has an inbuilt speaker and thus some amplification and volume control in itself. A lot of old soviet stuff was built to work as standalone units. Can't find the details on that particular player though, so all bets are off.

As far as I know, it has a built-in amp; the speakers also connect directly to the player.

And seems I found the right thing I need at my local store :)

e: works and sounds good!

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 30, 2010