Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Business Octopus posted:

Can anybody recommend some more stuff like Remain in Light (Talking Heads)? I'm really digging the dancier stuff on the earlier part of the album and I don't know where else to look for rock/African polyrhythm combinations.

E: I already have and enjoy Discipline

How are you connecting those two, through the Adrian Belew thing? (or are you talking about a different Discipline?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL

kapalama posted:

How are you connecting those two, through the Adrian Belew thing? (or are you talking about a different Discipline?)

Yeah there's the Belew connection with his amazing guitar work, but both albums have these intricate rhythms that are fun to dance to (yes I have danced to King Crimson, shut up).

mcshaner1
Jun 17, 2005

Business Octopus posted:

Can anybody recommend some more stuff like Remain in Light (Talking Heads)? I'm really digging the dancier stuff on the earlier part of the album and I don't know where else to look for rock/African polyrhythm combinations.

You might look into Mambo Nassau by Lizzy Mercier Descloux.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

SMP posted:

I've only passively listened to metal (except when I was in 6th grade :rolleyes:), but I've been binging through Metalocalypse and wondering where I should start with bands similar to Dethklok?

Amon Amarth, they're basically the real life counterparts of dethklok, complete with synchronised headbanging

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Business Octopus posted:

Yeah there's the Belew connection with his amazing guitar work, but both albums have these intricate rhythms that are fun to dance to (yes I have danced to King Crimson, shut up).

You should probably work your way around Belew's session work: He has worked with everyone from Peter Gabriel (I think) to Nine Inch Nails, and it seems like every time he is in the studio he brings some of whatever he has got with him.

I love his first two solo albums (but not so much his later solo stuff), and for a long time, I just looked to whatever he had played session work on to guide me to something new.

Peter Gabriel's Security (to me) has some of the same feel as Remain in Light.
Oh and Laurie Anderson's Mister Heartbreak. (but not her other stuff)

kapalama fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 21, 2010

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
To update my request a bit, there are some songs I've been listening to recently that seem to have one common theme: glitchy female vocals.

examples:
Rebound X - Rhythm and Gash (though an even better, slightly sped-up version is found on his myspace);
múm - The Ballad of the Broken Birdie Records (Ruxpin Remix II); and of course
Crystal Castles - Doe Deer.

Know of any others that might fit the "mostly electronic, melodic, super glitchy/cut-up/indecipherable female vocals" bill? Boards of Canada - 1969 and some Air might qualify, but I really want that higher pitch...

edit: here's one I heard on rinse.fm the other day that's fun and qualifies (more or less):
Funk Butcher vs Bitch Please - Rob you 4 your Shoes

Smoove J fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 21, 2010

FetusOvaries
Jun 16, 2010

I'll kiss you in the rain

Business Octopus posted:

Try some no wave and bands like Maximum Joy, ESG, and Liquid Liquid. There's some good funky post-punk on this compilation:

http://www.amazon.com/New-York-Noise-Various-Artists/dp/B00009OYSE

This stuff is very danceable. But nothing from that era comes close to Remain in Light or Talking Heads in general.

An0
Nov 10, 2006
I enjoy eating After Eights. I also enjoy eating Old El Paso salsa with added Tobasco.

Smoove J posted:

To update my request a bit, there are some songs I've been listening to recently that seem to have one common theme: glitchy female vocals.

examples:
Rebound X - Rhythm and Gash (though an even better, slightly sped-up version is found on his myspace);
múm - The Ballad of the Broken Birdie Records (Ruxpin Remix II); and of course
Crystal Castles - Doe Deer.

Know of any others that might fit the "mostly electronic, melodic, super glitchy/cut-up/indecipherable female vocals" bill? Boards of Canada - 1969 and some Air might qualify, but I really want that higher pitch...

edit: here's one I heard on rinse.fm the other day that's fun and qualifies (more or less):
Funk Butcher vs Bitch Please - Rob you 4 your Shoes

If you listen to Rinse, you've probably already heard them, or of them, but:
-Burial does the slow 2-step with cut up vocals thing
-Synkro released Burial copycat tunes which are pretty nice
-James Black - CMYK is pretty cool. The rest of his tunes are boring though.
-and then there's always the million garage tunes with pitched/cutup vocals. Google around for some mixes, or listen to the BBC1Extra shows. I don't know enough about garage, but of you search for Vocal Garage you should find some with chopped vocals. And in any case it's objectively the best type of music, so you'll dig it.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Little Treasure posted:

I have two Frank Zappa albums: Apostrophe and The Grand Wazoo. I would like to get into more of his stuff, but his incredibly large body of work has me baffled. Going off of the two albums I have, what do you recommend I listen to next?

I'm going to agree with the already-recommended Over-Nite Sensation as a companion piece for Apostrophe, and toss in a mention of One Size Fits All as well.

From Grand Wazoo, you'll also want to check out Waka/Jawaka and Hot Rats.

Roxy & Elsewhere, You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol 2 and Make a Jazz Noise Here are, in my opinion, the live albums you don't want to miss. Oh, and Yellow Shark, too.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Sorry I didn't come in earlier to say this, but thanks for all of the recommendations.

I just listened to an album by the GZA called Liquid Swords. It's pretty loving awesome.

:whatup:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is there a name for what I would call 1920's steampunk jazz techno? Or anywhere I can find more? The few examples I have are specific parts of or specific songs from a just plain techno band.

Bassnectar- Churn of the Century is best one I can find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaFAjn2WRCw

e: Didn't realize this was a remix, but I can't find a original version online :( The message gets across though.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 22, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

Is there a name for what I would call 1920's steampunk jazz techno? Or anywhere I can find more? The few examples I have are specific parts of or specific songs from a just plain techno band.

I loved your description, but the music didn't exactly live up to what I built up in my head.

The Secret Society, a (jazz) big band led by bandleader Darcy James Argue, has taken on kind of a "steampunk" theme with its album Infernal Machines, but it is a lot more straight-ahead jazz than your Bassnectar sample:

http://www.secretsocietymusic.org/darcy_james_argues_secret/secret-society-live-audio.html

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Is there a name for what I would call 1920's steampunk jazz techno?

"Goony as hell"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

e: Didn't realize this was a remix, but I can't find a original version online :( The message gets across though.

your description makes no sense to me, but it sounds about like every other Bassnectar song I've ever heard, so maybe try that?

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Are there any other artists that pull a Venetian Snares Rossz csillag alatt született and combine orchestra music with bizarre, frenetic drums? I know that that's such a unique tyle of his that looking for more like it might be cheapening it a bit, but I really love the crazy bombastic violins + all-over-the-place breaks sound. :shobon:

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

Cobweb Heart posted:

Are there any other artists that pull a Venetian Snares Rossz csillag alatt született and combine orchestra music with bizarre, frenetic drums? I know that that's such a unique tyle of his that looking for more like it might be cheapening it a bit, but I really love the crazy bombastic violins + all-over-the-place breaks sound. :shobon:

His follow-up entitled "My Downfall (Original Soundtrack)" is pretty similar, though I don't find it as engaging. Same style, though. The closest thing I've found (I haven't searched too far, though, to be honest) is this Aphex Twin song: Nannou. If you haven't heard any of his stuff, I'd start with the "Richard D. James' album. Anyone else?

garbage day
Jun 13, 2008

im lollin at you're trollin

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I want some new thrash metal, I have plenty from the 80s and 90s, but I want some recent stuff that has been coming out. My favorites are Death Angel, Kreator and Anthrax.

Try Morbid Carnage. They're a Hungarian group that sings about traditional thrash topics such as "Warlust" and being "Possessed by Metal." Also, this album cover:

Sticking with Carnage, I think you'll like Ritual Carnage. They're based in Tokyo. The singer's voice (at least on the latest album) is on the higher-pitched side of things, though not quite to the degree of Overkill, Annihilator or Belladonna Anthrax.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xqM0IeJD9U

My favorite of the newer American thrash acts is probably Vektor, because I think they come up with some really interesting riffs/song structures and it's not just straightforward Exodus/Sodom/whatever worship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsudyBzPGEI

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
I really enjoyed Matthew Robert Cooper's "Miniatures" even though I'm not such a big fan of his stuff as Eluvium. What are some other albums in that vein?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Some goon released an Electronic album, Downpour - Eviction Notice, and I really liked it. What kind of Electronic is that? And what other stuff like it is out there?

soundsection
May 10, 2010
Can anyone recommend anything that sounds like Broken Note's album Terminal Static? I haven't heard anything quite like it and am not even sure what genre it is. To my ears it sounds like an amazing mash-up of industrial hardcore, dubstep, drum and bass, and orgasms. I've listened to it far too much over that last few months.

Little Treasure posted:

I have two Frank Zappa albums: Apostrophe and The Grand Wazoo. I would like to get into more of his stuff, but his incredibly large body of work has me baffled. Going off of the two albums I have, what do you recommend I listen to next?

e: I am a doofus for getting the "Identify" and "Recommendation" threads mixed up, sorry.

Grab Hot Rats as well as Roxy and Elsewhere. The former because its pretty much the apex of his career, and the latter because live Frank was the best Frank. Also, if you can stand Captain Beefheart, you should get a hold of Bongo Fury.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Cobweb Heart posted:

Are there any other artists that pull a Venetian Snares Rossz csillag alatt született and combine orchestra music with bizarre, frenetic drums?

Closest thing I can think of is H.M.M.A.H.H.H - Siberian Secrets. Sample here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYe1vu-kGtY

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Have been out of the loop with new metal releases the last 6-12 months or so and was after some recommendations.

I'll list some favourite bands and genres to make it easier to get some similar recommendations.

Black: Rotting Christ, Satyricon, Necromantia etc
Thrash: Most bay area and German stuff.
Doom: Candlemass, Pentagram, Place of Skulls, Count Raven etc
Power/Heavy/Speed/Whatever: Omen, Manilla Road, Helloween, Mercyful Fate etc
Death: Death, Obituary, Dismember, Entombed etc

Thanks guys.

Rekov
Apr 1, 2009
What are some good Thin Lizzy albums to start out to? I have come to like Thin Lizzy's song mainly because the bands I currently listen to cover them a lot. Is there stuff that's considered to be better?

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
I recently went to a folk festival and was reminded how much I love the bagpipes. After having also loved the latest Titus Andronicus album (which features bagpipes) it got me wondering if anyone knows of any non-folk bands that use bagpipes to good effect?

Also a related request does anyone know of any band which have a similar Chaotic but sing-along type sound to Titus?

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Rekov posted:

What are some good Thin Lizzy albums to start out to? I have come to like Thin Lizzy's song mainly because the bands I currently listen to cover them a lot. Is there stuff that's considered to be better?

Fighting and Jailbreak for studio albums, Live & Dangerous is one of the best live albums out there.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Smoove J posted:

His follow-up entitled "My Downfall (Original Soundtrack)" is pretty similar, though I don't find it as engaging. Same style, though. The closest thing I've found (I haven't searched too far, though, to be honest) is this Aphex Twin song: Nannou. If you haven't heard any of his stuff, I'd start with the "Richard D. James' album. Anyone else?

il_cornuto posted:

Closest thing I can think of is H.M.M.A.H.H.H - Siberian Secrets. Sample here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYe1vu-kGtY

Thanks, guys! :) I have heard Aphex Twin before, but I mostly prefer more abrasive sounds. I have never heard of H.M.M.A.H.H.H before, and he is sounding pretty awesome.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Cobweb Heart posted:

Thanks, guys! :) I have heard Aphex Twin before, but I mostly prefer more abrasive sounds. I have never heard of H.M.M.A.H.H.H before, and he is sounding pretty awesome.

That guy linked to an inappropriate Aphex Twin track. It's a good track but it doesn't sound like what you asked for at all.

Here's something closer

"Waxen Pith" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AThw6SxVVA

"Girl/Boy Song" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdZs5PVcwBs

he has much more abrasive tracks, but none i can think of that have classical instruments mixed in.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Can anyone recommend me some good (non-Massive Attack/Portishead) trip-hop or softer hip hop. I'd prefer some English artists if possible.

Rockstar
Apr 24, 2007
if it bleeds, we can kill it
Please recommend a Dave Matthews Band Live DVD.

Folsom Field (2001)
The Gorge (2002)
Central Park (2003)
Piedmont Park (2007)
Across The Pond (2009)
Any others?

I saw them in concert for the first in July 2010, and am looking for a DVD with high quality sound and a substantial performance filled with their lengthy improvisational sections, and basically, just the best DMB experience that can be put on a DVD. I'm leaning towards Across The Pond because it is the most recent, but all of the DVD descriptions make them sound like the one to get. So I am hoping that a DMB enthusiast could recommend one of these as the premier DMB DVD. Thanks!

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
A request from before that was never filled. I like the style of country Ryan Bingham plays. It's gritty but still fun. Anything similar I should know about?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Can anyone recommend me some good (non-Massive Attack/Portishead) trip-hop or softer hip hop. I'd prefer some English artists if possible.

I'll assume you know DJ Shadow and Tricky (if not, get Endtroducing and Maxinquaye). Here are some albums:

Sneaker Pimps - Becoming X
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJSYzBqA9RA

Archive - Londinium
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_UEVzFJlDY

Lamb - Lamb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o13ULZlBNIU

Halou - Wiser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGk6eJBaekU

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 27, 2010

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Try Bowery Electric
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnDHOVMYGUk

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF

drainpipe posted:

Archive - Londinium
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_UEVzFJlDY

Oh man I was OBSESSED with this song/album back in middle school. I definitely grew out of trip-hop but hearing this brings back shameful memories.

An album that really stuck with me is Cassidy by Bows. It's a gorgeous dream-pop record from Luke Sutherland (who was the frontman of weirdo post-punk band Long Fin Killie and also released a very Lamb-like album called Blush under the name Bows before this one) that takes elements of a bunch of milquetoast starbucks electronica that was popular in the late 90's and turns them into something really gorgeous. There aren't any samples on youtube so dig them up yourself!

Also you should check out the artist J*Davey - her album has some really dope songs and some poo poo that's a little too out-there to really stick, but she's doing awesome poo poo with the "female-fronted pop&b with vaguely hip-hop beats" genre.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRBFUWCcxyE

Dadjacket fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 28, 2010

pickitup13
Dec 16, 2005

I haven't had a chance to browse NMD for a while, but it feels good to be back :D

In any case, I need me some recommendations as I'm experimenting with auto-tune myself. I'm looking for hip hop (or any music) that uses auto-tune in a catchy or unique way. I've got all the music by the first artists you'd think of (and the ones on LastFM/Pandora) such as Drake, Wiz Khalfia, Big Sean, Lil' Wayne, T-Pain, Trey Songz, The Dream, etc.

Any suggestions are much appreciated, but I'm looking for artists with at lease one major album released. I'm not really looking for myspace artists that you wouldn't be able to find on AllMusic.com. I don't mean that in any offensive way. I understand that unknown artists can be good, I'm just not looking for that.

Help me out!!! List all you got! :banjo:

pickitup13 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 29, 2010

CinnamonToastFunk
Nov 11, 2008

"He is ill clothed that is bare of funk."
--Pimpjammin Funklin
Can someone recommend some otherworldly, foreboding jazz along the lines of Bitches Brew, especially the track "Pharaoh's Dance"?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

pickitup13 posted:

I haven't had a chance to browse NMD for a while, but it feels good to be back :D

In any case, I need me some recommendations as I'm experimenting with auto-tune myself. I'm looking for hip hop (or any music) that uses auto-tune in a catchy or unique way. I've got all the music by the first artists you'd think of (and the ones on LastFM/Pandora) such as Drake, Wiz Khalfia, Big Sean, Lil' Wayne, T-Pain, Trey Songz, The Dream, etc.

Any suggestions are much appreciated, but I'm looking for artists with at lease one major album released. I'm not really looking for myspace artists that you wouldn't be able to find on AllMusic.com. I don't mean that in any offensive way. I understand that unknown artists can be good, I'm just not looking for that.

Help me out!!! List all you got! :banjo:

I'm sure you've probably heard it but I'm not super familiar with the "genre" either, but I think Kanye West's 808's and Heartbreak is like the definitive autotune ballad album.

For mine:

I'm trying to find more hip-hop songs that have a heavy focus on volume dynamics. My favorite hip-hop song ever is Nas' "One Mic" and it's basically the only song I can think that does the volume variance thing.

An0
Nov 10, 2006
I enjoy eating After Eights. I also enjoy eating Old El Paso salsa with added Tobasco.

CinnamonToastFunk posted:

Can someone recommend some otherworldly, foreboding jazz along the lines of Bitches Brew, especially the track "Pharaoh's Dance"?

Listen to Agharta and Pangea (I prefer them to Bitch's Brew)

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

the Bunt posted:

I'm sure you've probably heard it but I'm not super familiar with the "genre" either, but I think Kanye West's 808's and Heartbreak is like the definitive autotune ballad album.

For mine:

I'm trying to find more hip-hop songs that have a heavy focus on volume dynamics. My favorite hip-hop song ever is Nas' "One Mic" and it's basically the only song I can think that does the volume variance thing.

While it's definitely not hip hop, I always thought "woods" by Bon Iver used auto-tune pretty creatively

pickitup13
Dec 16, 2005

the Bunt posted:

For mine:

Yea, I've got that album. I need MOAR AUTOTUNE! "Boston's Boy" by Sam Adams has some catchy stuff on it, but its a bit too poppy for me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

CinnamonToastFunk posted:

Herbie Hancock's Sextant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
My recommendation's a little weird, but I've noticed two songs that I like both use a really unique sound in their beginning. I assume it's some sort of guitar or sound technique, but I have no clue what it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEJy5z8IqoA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO7tVypeYAo
(Both videos start with it)

And to fit this thread's criteria, what are some cool alternative songs that use this sound?