Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
I haven't seen ET. Dunno if that's a great miss or not, but I've learned to keep my mouth shut about it in company, 'cause people tend to look at me kinda funny when I confess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Underflow posted:

I haven't seen ET. Dunno if that's a great miss or not, but I've learned to keep my mouth shut about it in company, 'cause people tend to look at me kinda funny when I confess.

Thanks for the info? If you want to participate in this thread, read the OP. I'm sure someone would love to recommend that you watch ET!

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
tokillthesunflower: watch, oh I don't know, The Passion of Joan of Arc. Dreyer is pretty cool.

So I watched the Three Colors trilogy over the past three days. Red was definitely my favorite of the three. It really had a lot to it and I loved the ending that tied all three movies together. All in all a fascinating trilogy and even though parts of White kind of bothered me, three great movies on their own.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one (or any of his early ones other than The Element of Crime)

The Piano Teacher - I love the Haneke films I've seen (Cache and White Ribbon and I even liked both Funny Games)

Z
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker - I've seen a couple of Tarkovsky films, and I like what I've seen. This seems like a nice next step to take, I guess.

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation - The length on this one is a tad discouraging. I haven't watched any other silents that are quite this long. I'm also worried the movie will piss me off, so that makes the length even more discouraging. It's pretty much the most "canon" film period, though, so I do still want to see it.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera - I had actually never heard of this until I came upon it on the Internet Archive a few years ago. It looks intriguing, but I do kind of worry that I won't really "get" it.

Babel - I've seen Amores perros and this one's gotten some really good (and some less good) reactions

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo - I've never seen anything by Jodorowsky and I don't really know anything about this one, except it's supposed to be weird as hell so I figure it's as good of a place to start as any

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita - I've seen quite a few Fellinis, but not this one yet.

Audition
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul - I've never seen any Fassbinder, and he seems to have gotten some play in this thread. I'd like to get into the New German Cinema beyond just Herzog, too.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

dotCommunism posted:

Stalker - I've seen a couple of Tarkovsky films, and I like what I've seen. This seems like a nice next step to take, I guess.

I really can't pass up a chance to make anyone watch this. So have fun.

City of God: Wow. This is about as perfect as a movie can get. It's such a rich fantastical setting where every character is endlessly endearing and at the center of it all is just a good-natured kid who wants to rise above the poo poo. The editing was memorably wonderful; its stylized nature never felt forced or gimmicky. It perfectly serviced the story and the world in which it was told. I'd recommend this to anyone.

My list:

1. Fanny and Alexander: I have seen zero Bergman outside of Seventh Seal.

2. 8 1/2: I have seen zero Fellini, period.

3. Grand Illusion: All I know about this movie is that all film buffs think it's great and that Woody Allen references it at least once. Sounds like my cup of tea.

4. Rashomon: I've seen a good chunk of Kurosawa's stuff, but in his case, there's always more great stuff to be seen.

5. The Rules of the Game: Another Renoir, apparently. The only Renoir I've seen is The Crime of Monsieur Lange, which I hated, but I also saw it when I was 15 and hated everything that didn't have Bruce Campbell in it.

6. Stroszek: My experiences with Herzog's famous stuff is really limited. I've pretty much only seen his recent stuff.

7. The Wages of Fear: I don't know, it's old and it's French. It's probably good.

8. Paths of Glory: I don't know why I haven't watched this. I know early Kubrick is great; I loving love The Killing and Spartacus.

9. Satantango: Lot of love floating around this forum for this movie.

10. Any John Wayne movie with Rio or River in the title: I'm pretty sure I've seen all of them, but I was probably 6 or 7 and don't remember a thing about any of them.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God

toro913
Aug 7, 2007
I don't want to be the one to force Kull to watch a 7 hour movie. So you can watch Paths of Glory

Completely forgot about this, Once Upon a Time in America was pretty good, not as good as Leone's westerns.

Also watched Battle of Algiers which is amazing, everyone should see this movie.

Battle of Algiers
Anything by Guy Maddin, as a Canadian I should be ashamed

Any Satyajit Ray: just haven't taken the plunge

Metropolis: I have to be in a very specific mood to appreciate silent movies

any of the Evil Dead movies: I'm not a big horror fan, so it never interested me

Once Upon a Time in America
Either of the Resnais headtrips, Last Year at Marienbad or Hiroshima mon Amour

any Douglas Sirk films: just haven't gotten around to them

the 1933 King Kong: i pretty much know the story already

The Last Picture Show: no reason

Das Boot: I started watching it had to stop and never returned

Easy Rider
Bullitt: other than Steve McQueen and cars, no clue what it's about

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
toro913, go see Written on the Wind. All That Heaven Allows is probably Sirk's most famous film, but I like Written on the Wind a lot better.

Just finished watching Taxi Driver, and holy poo poo that was amazing. I just loved the grittiness of it and the effect of the city on Travis' already shaky psyche.

quote:

1. Chinatown - No excuse besides general film deprivation.

2. Fitzcarraldo - Saw Herzog's Bad Lieutenant, loved it, just saw Aguirre and loved Klaus Kinski, so this seems like a logical next step.

3. Taxi Driver, or any Scorcese, really - Also no excuse Bullitt - I hear this Steve McQueen is a pretty cool guy... (thanks for reminding me about this, toro)

4. Imitation of Life - I was sick the day I had to watch this for class; I loved Written on the Wind, so I should really just watch it already.

5. A Fistful of Dollars - I've only seen two westerns ever, and only one Eastwood movie, so I figure I'd start here.

6. Annie Hall - I've never seen a Woody Allen film. Badlands - I have never seen a Terrence Malick film.

7. North by Northwest - I've seen Rear Window, and I'm not really that into Hitchcock, but he's another director I feel like I need to see more of.

8. Raiders of the Lost Ark - Just never saw it. The Player - I've never seen anything Altman, and after my boss at my internship said that it sometimes reminded him of his job, I've begun to feel like I should have seen it.

9. The Godfather, Part II - I love The Godfather, but haven't seen this. Infernal Affairs - I was interested in The Departed when it came out but never ended up seeing it, and I also feel like I need to see more Chinese film, or at least one that hasn't left me in tears at the end (Crouching Tiger did because it was beautiful, My Fair Farewell My Concubine did because it crushes your soul within the first 30 minutes and then keeps going).

10. Star Wars. Let the Right One In - I wanted to see this so bad when it came out, but never got the chance.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Vertigo Ambrosia, watch Fitzcarraldo. I think I recommended this to someone else and they haven't reported back yet (forgive me if I missed you), so the burden's now on you! In all seriousness, this is an amazing film and everyone should see more Herzog and Kinski (including me).

Finally watched 12 Angry Men. I've seen a lot of great films because of this thread, but this one is by far the best. I can't remember the last time I saw a film so gripping and yet so flawlessly executed. They really don't make them like they used to; here, we have twelve men — not stereotypes, not straw men — real, breathing, imperfect human beings working through a problem. You're lucky if at least one character in a movie is believable — loving twelve. The way the film flipped our own prejudices and assumptions over its ninety-minute runtime is a testament to Lumet's staying power. I really need to see Network and Dog Day Afternoon again.

MY SHAMEFUL LIST

1. Stalker
I've played the computer game. I hear it's amazing. I want to see it. Help me!

2. Schindler's List
Something about this has always rubbed me the wrong way. The few clips I've seen have made the film seem manipulative as hell. Basically, I don't want the theater/my mom's basement to get all dusty with the feeling that I've been tricked. I've also never been a huge Spielberg fan (he does do his job well, though).

3. Breathless
I thought I was more of Godard-person than a Truffaut-person until I saw The 400 Blows. Everyone gushes over this one, so I guess Jean-Luc has another chance to win me over. Unfortunately, I'm pretty fickle with French New Wave films because none of them have really blown me away. Could this be different?

4. A Clockwork Orange
My dad is a huge Kubrick fan, so when he lent me his collection a few years ago, I finally got to seeing stuff like Dr. Strangelove and 2001. He didn't like A Clockwork Orange when he saw it in theaters and so he never bothered buying it. I know so much about this film already from popular culture (mostly The Simpsons) that I haven't felt the need to seek out a copy. Apparently it's still shocking today; I'm afraid I'll just be underwhelmed and/or disgusted.

5. The Rules of the Game
I revisited La Grande Illusion a few weeks ago and I was reminded that while I feel bad for not seeing more Bergman or Fellini, I absolutely must see more Renoir. This one is #3 on TSPDT. I know nothing about it and I want to keep things that way until I see it.

6. Any film by Satyajit Ray
I know absolutely nothing about Indian cinema, and since FFD raves about Ray, I think I should check him out. I'm not sure where to start with this guy; it'd be great if my picker recommended one that's available on Netflix. Otherwise I probably won't be able to see the film in question.

7. North by Northwest
I know about the corn maze scene, and that's about it. I like Hitchcock and I like Cary Grant. I even have the DVD at my house. I don't understand. What's stopping me? I really want to know why a plane would chase Cary Grant in a corn maze, dammit.

8. A Fistful of Dollars
After a great experience with The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, I'm curious to see some more of Leone's work. I know this features Eastwood's "Man With No Name" character (which I found out was just a marketing ploy) and that it's a remake of Yojimbo (a great Kurosawa film, but not my favorite). My interest is piqued!

9. Persona
Although I enjoyed Wild Strawberries, I could never really get into Bergman. I hear this is one of his best, so maybe it'll turn me on to him. I know nothing about it.

10. Once Upon a Time in the West
People say it's better than the Dollars Trilogy, especially with regards to the soundtrack. Again, Leone has made a great impression on me, so I definitely should see his other great films. I don't know anything about the plot (or any famous scenes).

Finally Watched: Goodfellas; The Godfather; The Good The Bad and The Ugly; Casablanca; The Incredibles; The Godfather, Part II; Aguirre, The Wrath of God, 12 Angry Men

SPECIAL CHALLENGE: If anyone picks Berlin Alexanderplatz for Peaceful Anarchy, I will watch it too.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Saw Tokyo Story. I wasn't in the right frame of mind, I suppose, to watch it. I did tear up when the grandmother cries at her daughter-in-law's house, but the final act didn't do much for me. However, the fact that this film is a big amazing masterpiece is pretty obvious, and I'd like to revisit it at some point in the future. Ozu has an interesting way with his camera, and I do like how he isn't directly melodramatic. The only issue I really had was that I could hear my boyfriend watching Retsupuraes through the headphones, and I kept having flashbacks to the far more sentimental Make Way For Tomorrow. But it's still a masterpiece and in the future it will probably have a rightful place on my "favorites" shelf.

thegloaming, I think you'll enjoy A Clockwork Orange.

SHAME!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

1) Das Boot - Having just recently had to clean out my old family home, it became really obvious how much my dad loving loved this movie because I came across like four different recorded-from-TV VHS tapes. It's been on my "should see" list for a while but I've just never gotten around to it and I don't know why.

2) Bicycle Thieves - I rented this once but I never got around to seeing it. I remember it's referenced a lot in The Player (or maybe they go see it or something). Apparently it's quite good.

3) Moon - This came through our town pretty much momentarily and it's been hanging around on my Netflix queue for a while. It just never really gets up there for some reason or another.

4) The Apartment - Okay, technically I have seen this, but I can't remember a drat thing about it except that there's something to do with apartment swapping. But that's about it. Apparently it's magnificent, which I don't doubt, Billy Wilder rules.

5) Gone With The Wind - Ever since I saw the Carol Burnett spoof this has been floating around in my Netflix queue. That's a great spoof. Y'all should go watch it.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) The Color Purple - This is one of those "You've never seen x? Not even in high school!?" films. It sounds intriguing, and I like Spielberg, and the DVD cover is a really nice shade of purple, but I've just never built up the desire to bump something else out of my Netflix top three.

9) Touch of Evil - First heard of this when I first saw The Player back when I was like fifteen. That's the age when you latch on to gimmicks like long takes or altered timelines and so I'm well aware of the opening shot, but I know nothing about the rest of the film other than it has something to do with bombs in Mexico.

10) The French Connection - Another been-in-the-queue-for-ages one, apparently it's a stunning magnificent thriller and frankly I could watch Gene Hackman eat a lightbulb and come away thrilled. Kinda miffed about the goofy color timing on the Blu-Ray, but it's ok, I managed Do The Right Thing, I could manage this.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Okay, I think I'd like to jump on this tran.

Magic Hate Ball, while The Apartment is easily one of my favorite movies and I think you're doing yourself a disservice by not hunting down Touch of Evil, Gone With the Wind is a must.

Alright, here's my list:

1. 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days - The last of A.O. Scott's favorites of the last decade I need to see. Every time I look at it, I just get covered in the waves of indifference I felt from The Lives of Others.

2. Hiroshima Mon Amor - One of those great movies that I actually bought a few years ago but never watched. Mostly because I couldn't stand Last Year at Marienbad.

3. Empire of Passion - I also bought this at a previous Criterion sale. I love the cover, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

4. Woman in the Dunes - Again, Criterion sale purchase, haven't watched. One of my friend rants about how amazing it is though. I haven't watched any of the rest of the box set either (nor have I watched any of my Six Moral Tales boxset, but that's for another time); lot of movies, little time.

5. Abel Gance's Napoleon - I love silent movies and Eg Eggleby and FFD talk this up all the time, but the four hour investment just seems like a lot.

6. Odd Man Out - I love Carol Reed (strangely also my mother's name) and James Mason, but the plot description does nothing for me.

7. Gospel According to St. Matthew - I didn't really care for Salo, and then I really don't care too much about the Bible.

8. Clockers - I was on a Spike Lee kick a few months ago that died out when I ran out of movies. Now I have this one on instant queue and have heard good things about it.

9. Up! - No, not the Pixar movie. The Russ Meyer flick. Beyond the Valley of the Dolls is one of my favorite movies, but Faster Pussycat, Kill! Kill! never did much for me.

10. Butterfly - Comedy option. I watched Pia Zadora in The Lonely Lady a few weeks ago, and it was one of the funniest bad movies I've seen. This one has her as an incest loving farm girl with Orson Welles as a particularly sweaty judge.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Maybe I'll watch all three! :v:

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Thanks for the info? If you want to participate in this thread, read the OP. I'm sure someone would love to recommend that you watch ET!

Oh dear, I really messed up there, didn't I? Sorry for the static.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Underflow posted:

Oh dear, I really messed up there, didn't I? Sorry for the static.

It's not too late to make amends. Make a list!

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

thegloaming posted:

It's not too late to make amends. Make a list!

All right. I can't say I'm ashamed not to have seen these until I do, but here goes:

- ET. I was in some hellhole 100s of miles from a cinema at the time. I caught the tail end of the hype some 6 months after its release, and it seemed a bit silly, so I let it slide.

- The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Always liked the title, but thought that the few excerpts I'd seen weren't at all in the western genre I like so much; i.e. with sparse dialogue, minimal soundtrack, and inventive anglework. The short clips I saw were full of shouting and gesticulating in a saloon; lots of theatrical Stentors and powerhamming.

- Spartacus. Only reason for that one is that all the annoying old folks I used to know loved it so much that I concluded it had to be rubbish. Could have watched it on TV perhaps, but due to my moving about I'm rarely in a place where they show non-dubbed material. And now, a moovee wid Curque Dooglaahzz; no thanks...

Those are the only really big ones I can think of now.

My choice for Sheldrake would be Hiroshima Mon Amour. Don't worry, it's not at all like L'Année Dernière A Marienbad (I had a little trouble with that one too, but Delphine Seyrig sweetened the pill) in terms of dragginess, although you should be in the mood for it; perhaps a rainy afternoon when nothing else occupies you.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
Go watch The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Even if it's not your kind of western, you can't go wrong with Jimmy Stewart.

I can't decide how I feel about The Passion of Joan of Arc. One the one hand it's gorgeous with exquisite cinematography. On the other hand, I felt absolutely nothing for the characters on screen. Maybe I'll give it another go in a month or two.

New list:
A Fistful of Dollars I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

Sunrise Same as The Conformist

The African Queen Once again, no good reason.

The Rules of the Game Honestly never even heard of this film.

The Seven Samurai My brother is in love with this movie, so I've seen bits and pieces of it, but never the whole thing start to finish.

La Dolce Vita Saw 8 1/2, liked it well enough, but haven't gone any further into Fellini's films.

The Gold Rush Continuing my Chaplin journey.

Breathless Never seen any Godard.

Apocalypse Now Pretty much the same reason I had for Dr. Strangelove, though I've had less people tell me I'll like this.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Underflow posted:

My choice for Sheldrake would be Hiroshima Mon Amour. Don't worry, it's not at all like L'Année Dernière A Marienbad (I had a little trouble with that one too, but Delphine Seyrig sweetened the pill) in terms of dragginess, although you should be in the mood for it; perhaps a rainy afternoon when nothing else occupies you.

Haha. I live in the desert, it hasn't rained here in two months. But I'll get on it soon anyways :) Thanks!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Maybe I'll watch all three! :v:

I don't think you'd regret it. :v:

Sheldrake fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 22, 2010

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

tokillthesunflower posted:

Go watch The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

OK, will do.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

tokillthesunflower make your brother happy and watch The Seven Samurai.

City of Sadness was a very good film, and I liked it even though nothing in it really stands out as exceptional. I think this is due to Hou's passive filmmaking style, full of wide shots with the same pacing when he's showing a routine dinner as when he's showing a brutal beating. It does work in making the political critiques in the film much more digestible than if it were polemic, but at times I had some trouble keeping track of events. Much like the film this review is understated and doesn't express that I did really like the film adequately, but whatever.

Updated list:
Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

Fires on the Plain I've owned this for like 2 years but fear it'll depress me.

La hora de los hornos Now this is going to be real propaganda, and pretty long too, but the subject matter interests me so I should buckle down and give it a go.

America, America There's a Cahiers du cinéma top 100 films list out there and I have only 2 left. This is the one I would have a hard time making myself watch otherwise. A Kazan film about the American dream that's 3 hours long, that really doesn't sound very interesting but who knows.

Nostalghia Tarkovsky's cool, guess I need to see this.

Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler Replacing one long Lang silent with another.

The Shootist I'm on a bit of a western kick this week and I chose this only because it's one I don't think I'd watch otherwise.

Kings of the Road I hear this is good. I liked Paris, Texas and Wings of Desire so maybe I'd like this.

The Traveling Players It's Greek and the director Angelopoulos is apparently well regarded. Don't really know much about this. It's the highest film on the TSPDT list I haven't seen.

Heima I want to keep putting documentaries here but I don't know what to pick so I'm going to take what sounds interesting from Imdb's top 50 list.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Peaceful:

I recommend for you Fire on the Plain. It's a great movie, and I missed it on your list at first glance. (I almost recommended Berlin Alexanderplatz, but think Fire on the Plain is a better pick.

zandert33 posted:

1. Jaws:
I honestly have no reason why I haven't watched this, and I have a feeling I would love it, but it's just one that always seems to get forgotten.

Took me long enough to get a copy, but I finally watched this last night, and loved it. I'm a huge fan of "Close Encounters" and the movie had a similar look and feel. I was surprised about how tense the movie is (I literally knew nothing about it other then a shark attacks people and "we're going to need a bigger boat", so I didn't know who lived or died), plus the shark looked great.

My updated list:

1. Any John Ford:
I'm a huge Kurosawa fan, and Kurosawa loved Ford, but I haven't seen anything Ford made.

2. Any Fellini movie:
I started watching 8 1/2 once, but then got distracted and didn't get back to it. I haven't seen anything else he's made.

3. Scenes from a Marriage or Fanny and Alexander:
I am not a huge fan of Bergman, but these two look interesting, I just haven't seen either.

4. Schindler's List:
Another movie I've meant to see, but just never have.

5. Any Chaplin movies:
I'm game for any, but just never saw any

zandert33 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 23, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I liked it even though nothing in it really stands out as exceptional.

Get used to this feeling if you're planning on watching any more Hou. One day I'm going to figure out why some people are so nuts over him.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

zandert33 both of those Bergman films are fantastic but I'll give you Scenes from a Marriage.

Fires on The Plain is a great companion piece to The Burmese Harp. The content is horrific but the filming style is such that it induces the kind of numbness felt by the main character. The acting is really impressive and so too is the cinematography. There are images where Ichikawa lingers on a shot and it says more than the whole scene that precedes it.

Updated list:
Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

La hora de los hornos Now this is going to be real propaganda, and pretty long too, but the subject matter interests me so I should buckle down and give it a go.

America, America There's a Cahiers du cinéma top 100 films list out there and I have only 2 left. This is the one I would have a hard time making myself watch otherwise. A Kazan film about the American dream that's 3 hours long, that really doesn't sound very interesting but who knows.

Nostalghia Tarkovsky's cool, guess I need to see this.

Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler Replacing one long Lang silent with another.

The Shootist I'm on a bit of a western kick this week and I chose this only because it's one I don't think I'd watch otherwise.

Kings of the Road I hear this is good. I liked Paris, Texas and Wings of Desire so maybe I'd like this.

The Traveling Players It's Greek and the director Angelopoulos is apparently well regarded. Don't really know much about this. It's the highest film on the TSPDT list I haven't seen.

Heima I want to keep putting documentaries here but I don't know what to pick so I'm going to take what sounds interesting from Imdb's top 50 list.

Juliet of the Spirits It seems like every Fellini film I've watched I've liked less than the previous one but it's been a while and I guess I should give him another chance, the only one I've truly hated is Amarcord. Not sure if this one is the right choice, but we'll see.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

zandert33 both of those Bergman films are fantastic but I'll give you Scenes from a Marriage.

For a first time viewer, do you recommend the longer or shorter cut?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

zandert33 posted:

For a first time viewer, do you recommend the longer or shorter cut?

I prefer the shorter cut of SfaM.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I think the longer cut is superior.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - It was kind of a cross between Titicut Follies and Awakenings. Although these characters were much better than what was in Awakenings. I kind of got a headache after a while from all the screaming especially during the therapy sessions.

Overall, I wasn't crazy about it and am surprised that it won the "big five" of the Academy Awards.

New List:

#13 Seven Samurai - I saw the Magnificent Seven many years ago on VHS and have avoided repetition (even though this is the original, seminal work.)

#49 Paths of Glory - I've heard this referenced before but know little about it.
The movie poster has Kirk Douglas with a bored look on his face.

#51 The Pianist - When this came out I didn't feel like seeing yet another WWII movie (I must've seen at least ten that year.) Since then I have forgotten about watching it.

#52 To Kill a Mockingbird - I've read the book and I've sat through multiple tiresome discussions on it in the classroom. I may have actually seen all of this but definitely not in one session.

#66 The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I know it has the famous "badges" quote. That alone hasn't been persuading enough to make me watch it.

#67 City Lights - Almost rented this once and then I went back later to get it and the copy inexplicably disappeared never to return.

#71 The Prestige - I heard about this being good but I've developed a jaded skepticism over the years about most highly rated new movies because frankly they usually don't deliver. Maybe if it's reached this high it's worth a look.

#72 Inglourious Basterds - The trailer seemed like a giant farcical mess. And Pitt's accent during that "killing nazis" scene has been enough to hold me off on this for a year so far.

#76 Singin' in the Rain - I rarely seek out musicals. That song is like kryptonite to me.

#78 Some Like It Hot - Supposedly a monumental comedy. I've liked every Billy Wilder movie I've seen so far.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

thegloaming posted:

SPECIAL CHALLENGE: If anyone picks Berlin Alexanderplatz for Peaceful Anarchy, I will watch it too.

It looks like the time has come my friends. :laugh:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Zogo posted:

It's a long haul, but it's not boring or anything. It's a very good movie. I'm pretty sure PA will like it, not sure about thegloaming. I actually wouldn't mind watching it again. I'd like to revisit Heimat at some point, too (although I guess if I had the time, I'd rather check out Heimat 2 & 3).

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Zogo, you get to watch Paths of Glory.

So I finally got a hold of the 3 hour cut of The New World and I found it to be absolutely fantastic. I don't think I'll ever get bored of Terrence Malick shooting scenes of nature during magic hour even if the film was a bit bloated. Malick has quickly become one of my top favorite working directors. Now having seen all his films, I'm more excited than ever for The Tree of Life. :dance:

My shameful list:

1. Vertigo – I’ve watched a criminally small amount of Hitchcock.

2. The Rules of the Game – I’m going down the TSPDT list and this is right after Vertigo.

3. 8 ½ - I've never watched a single Fellini film.

4. Tokyo Story – same with Ozu films.

5. Barry Lyndon – The last Kubrick film I need to see and I hear it's pretty underrated.

6. The Trial – Orson Welles says it's his best film, and I'll take his word on it.

7. Rear Window – like I said, I need to watch more Hitchcock.

8. M – I’ve had the DVD since Christmas.

9. Ikiru – One of the famous Kurosawa films I haven’t seen.

10. Pan’s Labyrinth – I've been meaning to see this for a while now.

Watched: Raging Bull – 5/5, The New Word – 5/5

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

It's a long haul, but it's not boring or anything. It's a very good movie. I'm pretty sure PA will like it, not sure about thegloaming. I actually wouldn't mind watching it again. I'd like to revisit Heimat at some point, too (although I guess if I had the time, I'd rather check out Heimat 2 & 3).

That's funny, your review on criticker says you wouldn't watch it again. I guess time changes one's perspective on these things.

Zogo, I'm sorry you didn't like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, even though I loved it I'll admit it can get hard to take. Not sure why you're surprised by the Oscars though. Even if you didn't like it you can't deny the quality of the acting and the writing.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Nroo posted:

10. Pan’s Labyrinth – I've been meaning to see this for a while now.
And now you get to!

I watched The Karate Kid independently and I loved it. Avildsen caught the exact same lightning in a bottle as he did with Rocky. As much as I hate to sound like I take cheesy 80s movies seriously, the theme seemed to be that there's no one magical thing that can fix all of a person's life problems. That's an interesting angle to take with a movie that's really about training to not get your rear end beat. My girlfriend hates this movie because she thinks it makes martial arts seem too easy (which it probably does). I like it because it's cheesy and fun, plus the soundtrack just cracks me up. The sequels weren't even a third as good, though.

I just finished watching Raging Bull. Even though I love Scorsese and De Niro, I couldn't get into this movie. A lot of it was the mumbling. I mentioned this in another thread, but since my hearing is poo poo too much mumbling/whispering is a massive pet peeve of mine (even in real life).
Even so, I could tell Scorsese really knew what he was doing by this point. The movie follows composition rules really well; I think every shot in the movie follows the rule of thirds. The movie has some of his strengths; he knows the exact right time for a long take, he's good at making the viewer feel the passage of time, and he knows when to show and when to tell. It also has some of his weaknesses; like Leone, he's nowhere near as good at making women believable as men.
I have to respect De Niro's performance too. All that training and weight gain really paid off in his performance.
I really shouldn't have watched this movie after watching Waiting For Guffman about five times; I couldn't keep a straight face through probably the most pivotal scene in the film.

All right; let's do this.

The Hunt For Red October
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Rashomon
Clash of the Titans
Tron
Enter the Dragon
The Karate Kid
Raging Bull

American Graffiti: I always wanted to see George Lucas' work before his Star Wars success made him all fat and happy. Plus, there's something about Mort Drucker's poster that makes me 2-3 times as interested in it.
Amores perros: I really enjoyed 21 Grams and I liked Babel okay. I've been putting off this movie forever; even I don't know why.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: This movie gets referenced in pop culture so much that I feel like I'm missing something by not having seen it. Also, I've only seen extremely little of Newman and Redford in their heyday.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
City of God: Don't know much about it, but Netflix swears up and down I'll like it because I loved Y Tu Mamá También. So what the hell.
Cool Hand Luke: I'm usually apprehensive about movies that take place entirely within one location, especially since that location is prison. But hey, I thought the Shawshank Redemption was great and Murder in the First isn't so bad if you don't try to measure its historical accuracy, so I should probably just give it a shot.
F for Fake: I think art forgery is interesting and I think Orson Welles is interesting. I thought Citizen Kane was the kind of movie that I'd only enjoy watching once, and that turned out to be true, so I'm looking forward and not looking forward to this one at the same time.
Grand Slam: I've had this movie for a while and I keep putting it off. I love heist films, but for some reason I can't stop thinking this movie is going to be boring as hell.
High and Low: I watched as much Kurosawa as I could find to prepare for a term paper I did on him. But I didn't get to this movie. It's the movie of his I've wanted to see most, especially since I've never seen any of his non-period pieces.
Where Eagles Dare: The thing that stuck with me about Inglourious Basterds is that I felt like Tarantino was assuming the viewer knows a lot about war movies that I didn't. So I went on a World War II binge, but I didn't get to this movie.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 24, 2010

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet

Zogo posted:

This disappoints me. I wanted to pick Berlin Alexanderplatz :(

I do still have to watch Stalker though.

I will say this though: if someone picks Ali: Fear Eats the Soul for me, I will replace it with Berlin Alexanderplatz

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

dotCommunism posted:

This disappoints me. I wanted to pick Berlin Alexanderplatz :(

I do still have to watch Stalker though.

I will say this though: if someone picks Ali: Fear Eats the Soul for me, I will replace it with Berlin Alexanderplatz

Fear Eats the Soul is better.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

CloseFriend posted:

Cool Hand Luke: I'm usually apprehensive about movies that take place entirely within one location, especially since that location is prison. But hey, I thought the Shawshank Redemption was great and Murder in the First isn't so bad if you don't try to measure its historical accuracy, so I should probably just give it a shot.
While a majority of the movie is in prison, it ventures outside way too much to be considered a one location movie. Hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I.

Well I have never seen a movie quite like A Clockwork Orange. I elected to think about it for a day before deciding what I really do think about it. It's certainly an interesting movie and very well done. McDowell is perfect, you really get to hate his persona in the movie and then almost pity him toward the end.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens - I've seen the first, I loved the first, I love action movies, I have no excuse.

2. Citizen Kane - Just like Casablanca.

3. Rear Window - I haven't seen a Hitchcock movie in a long long time.

4. A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove - Might as well throw another Kubrick out there.

5. Goodfellas
Raging Bull - I'll have to put another Scorsese film on here since I enjoyed Goodfellas so much.

6.Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II
On the Waterfront - I guess I've thrown a Brando one out there already, might as well do another.

7. Wall-E - This will probably lead me to catch up on the rest of the Pixar I missed (everything after the Incredibles). This is something I need to change.

8. Chinatown
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Shawshank Redemption - I know absolutely nothing about it.

9. 12 Angry Men
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - The only James Stewart movie I've seen is It's a Wonderful Life, which I regard highly.

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing
Back to the Future - The ultimate shame.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

marioinblack posted:

Wall-E

If only because I want you to savor Back to the Future for the end of your journey. Plus Wall-E is one of my favorite films, all-time.

So, me. I consider myself a fairly qualified movie buff, but:

-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest- No clue. I've just never watched it.
-Once Upon a Time in the West- Love Good/Bad/Ugly and so forth, didn't catch this one.
-Vertigo- Don't generally like Hitchcock, I've always thought of giving this a chance.
-Lawrence of Arabia- Always seemed too epic for a "just try it".
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind- That chick from Titanic is hot, but something about the marketing threw me off.
-Raging Bull- I usually don't jive with deNiro, I didn't even like Taxi Driver.
-Inglourious Basterds*- Missed it at box office, haven't caught it since.
-Brazil- I saw 12 Monkeys, so don't give me that look!
-Star Trek(2009)- No matter how many people recommend it, I can't get past the orange/teal/lensflare/shakeycam.
-Ikiru- On my Netflix queue, but I keep watching other things, I usually prefer more action.

*Edit: Forgot to mention, I did see The Inglorious Bastards(1978) though.

TannhauserGate fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 24, 2010

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet

FitFortDanga posted:

Fear Eats the Soul is better.

Oh, I intend to watch Fear Eats the Soul, I meant that after I watch it I'll replace it on my list with Berlin Alexanderplatz

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

TannhauserGate posted:

-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest- No clue. I've just never watched it.

It's high time to get your Milos Forman on, buddy.

Paths of Glory was just great. The production was a lot more grandiose than I was expecting, and it lent that feeling of senseless perpetuity to not only the war being fought but also the absurdity of bureaucracy. Kirk Douglas is great, but I gotta give some props to my man Ralph Meeker, who I felt really stole every scene he was in so well. It's no All Quiet on the Western Front, but it's still drat good.

The List:

1. Fanny and Alexander: I have seen zero Bergman outside of Seventh Seal.

2. 8 1/2: I have seen zero Fellini, period.

3. Grand Illusion: All I know about this movie is that all film buffs think it's great and that Woody Allen references it at least once. Sounds like my cup of tea.

4. Rashomon: I've seen a good chunk of Kurosawa's stuff, but in his case, there's always more great stuff to be seen.

5. The Rules of the Game: Another Renoir, apparently. The only Renoir I've seen is The Crime of Monsieur Lange, which I hated, but I also saw it when I was 15 and hated everything that didn't have Bruce Campbell in it.

6. Stroszek: My experiences with Herzog's famous stuff is really limited. I've pretty much only seen his recent stuff.

7. The Wages of Fear: I don't know, it's old and it's French. It's probably good.

8. North by Northwest: I go through little Hitchcock phases and still have yet to see everything.

9. Satantango: Lot of love floating around this forum for this movie.

10. Any John Wayne movie with Rio or River in the title: I'm pretty sure I've seen all of them, but I was probably 6 or 7 and don't remember a thing about any of them.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of GLory

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Man, I need to watch Jules and Jim. I have the god drat thing, but I just can't find the motivation to watch it when I have so little time to myself. Luckily I'm leaving my job on Monday, so I'll have some time before the Fall semester begins. It's gonna suck trying to find the post that my list is in after all this time.

Now vote this thread a five, you heathens.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I just watched Cool Hand Luke and that movie was not at all what I was expecting. I liked the cinematography. The two big crane shots—the sunset and the very last shot—were incredibly well done. A lot of attention was paid to the camera work. There were times when it was hazy and surreal, and others where it was incredibly symbolic.
Speaking of symbolic, I didn't expect a Christ figure in Luke. He starts out aimless and possibly atheistic. Over the course of the movie, he seems to believe in God more and more up to that last scene. I have mixed feelings about his suicide by cop. On the one hand, I think it undermines the Christ metaphor because it's suicide, but on the other, it ties into him knowing full well his destiny and fate, just like Jesus... supposedly.
Honestly, it was strange for me watching a movie with such a clear Christ figure since I wasn't born or raised Christian and I'm about as religious as a shoe now. I still think having so much symbolism pointing to this snarky, nearly-impossible-to-defeat thug as Jesus was a ballsy thing to do in 1967.
More than that, what really made the movie for me was George Kennedy's performance. When you compare this to his role in The Dirty Dozen, the guy seems drat good at his job.

Click here for the full 984x552 image.

The Hunt For Red October
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Rashomon
Clash of the Titans
Tron
Enter the Dragon
The Karate Kid
Raging Bull
Cool Hand Luke

American Graffiti: I always wanted to see George Lucas' work before his Star Wars success made him all fat and happy. Plus, there's something about Mort Drucker's poster that makes me 2-3 times as interested in it.
Amores perros: I really enjoyed 21 Grams and I liked Babel okay. I've been putting off this movie forever; even I don't know why.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: This movie gets referenced in pop culture so much that I feel like I'm missing something by not having seen it. Also, I've only seen extremely little of Newman and Redford in their heyday.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
Casablanca: From what I've heard, I get a feeling seeing this is a prerequisite for calling oneself a film buff.
City of God: Don't know much about it, but Netflix swears up and down I'll like it because I loved Y Tu Mamá También. So what the hell.
F for Fake: I think art forgery is interesting and I think Orson Welles is interesting. I thought Citizen Kane was the kind of movie that I'd only enjoy watching once, and that turned out to be true, so I'm looking forward and not looking forward to this one at the same time.
Grand Slam: I've had this movie for a while and I keep putting it off. I love heist films, but for some reason I can't stop thinking this movie is going to be boring as hell.
High and Low: I watched as much Kurosawa as I could find to prepare for a term paper I did on him. But I didn't get to this movie. It's the movie of his I've wanted to see most, especially since I've never seen any of his non-period pieces.
Where Eagles Dare: The thing that stuck with me about Inglourious Basterds is that I felt like Tarantino was assuming the viewer knows a lot about war movies that I didn't. So I went on a World War II binge, but I didn't get to this movie.

EDIT: Kull the Conqueror, in case you see this before my next reply, go watch North by Northwest. It's iconic Hitchcock. Sorry I forgot this before. I'm not sure how it happened; I'm always excited about the recommending-to-others part.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 25, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Zogo posted:

I for one am looking forward to this fifteen and a half hour non-stop thrill ride.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

It's gonna suck trying to find the post that my list is in after all this time.

Click the little question mark next to the time stamp for your post.

CloseFriend: watch High and Low. It's a good Kurosawa and very different from his period stuff. Also, you should probably pick something for Kull the Conqueror.

So I watched Stalker and it was quite something. I'm still not really sure what to think of it. Tarkovsky's movies seem to require some time to think about them and really take them in so I guess I don't have much to say about it yet. There were definitely some really awesome shots in it (I like long shots).

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one (or any of his early ones other than The Element of Crime)

The Piano Teacher - I love the Haneke films I've seen (Cache and White Ribbon and I even liked both Funny Games)

Z
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour - I've seen a few Bunuels, including The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie which was awesome. So this has been on my list of movies to see for a while, so this would motivate me to finally watching it.

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation - The length on this one is a tad discouraging. I haven't watched any other silents that are quite this long. I'm also worried the movie will piss me off, so that makes the length even more discouraging. It's pretty much the most "canon" film period, though, so I do still want to see it.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera - I had actually never heard of this until I came upon it on the Internet Archive a few years ago. It looks intriguing, but I do kind of worry that I won't really "get" it.

Babel - I've seen Amores perros and this one's gotten some really good (and some less good) reactions

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo - I've never seen anything by Jodorowsky and I don't really know anything about this one, except it's supposed to be weird as hell so I figure it's as good of a place to start as any

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita - I've seen quite a few Fellinis, but not this one yet.

Audition
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul - I've never seen any Fassbinder, and he seems to have gotten some play in this thread. I'd like to get into the New German Cinema beyond just Herzog, too.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

dotCommunism posted:

Also, you should probably pick something for Kull the Conqueror.
poo poo, my bad. I got too excited about watching Cool Hand Luke. Kull the Conqueror, watch North by Northwest. It's my favorite Hitchcock film I've seen, and I think it's the best example of a MacGuffin and Martin Landau's acting I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

dotCommunism, watch Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, to celebrate my, Peaceful Anarchy's, and your (eventual) plunge into Berlin Alexanderplatz. Also to expand your knowledge of the German New Wave, which is something I also need to do. Viel glück!

Finally watched A Clockwork Orange. I can't imagine anyone other than Kubrick doing justice to the subject matter. This is a moving picture in the purest sense of the term; the visual adds so much nuance and clarification to the thematic. Is it any surprise Kubrick tackles something still incredibly relevant today? I cringed during some scenes, especially the one in which Alex's droogs, now cops, dunk him in the freezing water trough. Ugh, that scene lasted about a minute longer than I wanted it to. At least the scenes of rape cut out before the explicit sexual act. I gotta give McDowell credit for taking as much as he dished out.

My updated list:
Stalker — I want to get into Tarkovsky, and I'm familiar with the computer game (not expecting many similarities, though).

Schindler's List — It's a "great film" I've avoided because I don't want to feel manipulated by Spielberg.

Breathless — I don't know if I'm a Godard person or a Truffaut person. I don't think I'm either, but maybe seeing this will prove me wrong.

The Rules of the Game — While I feel bad for not seeing more Bergman or Fellini, I absolutely must see more Renoir. I don't know anything about this other than it's good.

Any film by Satyajit Ray — FFD raves about this guy and I'm curious about Indian cinema.

North by Northwest — I really want to know why a plane would chase Cary Grant in a corn maze, dammit.

A Fistful of Dollars — After The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, I'd like to see more Leone. A Yojimbo remake with Eastwood in the west sounds like a good time.

Once Upon a Time in the West — More Leone. I hear this has Morricone at his peak, and since I loved the score in his other movies, I kind of want to see it for that reason alone.

Persona — I could never really get into Bergman; maybe this will change things.

Barry Lyndon — Another Kubrick movie I have yet to see. Haven't bothered before because of the length.

Finally watched:
Goodfellas; The Godfather; The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly; Casablanca; The Incredibles; The Godfather, Part II; Aguirre, The Wrath of God, 12 Angry Men; A Clockwork Orange

As promised, I'll be watching Berlin Alexanderplatz over the coming weeks, but because of its length (and because it's not technically a movie on my list), I'm gonna keep taking recommendations. So someone please lift my shame!

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 26, 2010