Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

This is a really dumb question but...

I was watching a show yesterday and one of the guys did this whole thing about being blown away by the cheerios he was eating. Asking if they were honey nut or something cause they were so good.

Is this a quote from a movie? Its driving me crazy cause I'm sure I've heard it before.

The Wire is no movie but it's the only thing that comes to mind when I hear that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It could be Rainbow Guy reference depending on the delivery

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

This is a really dumb question but...

I was watching a show yesterday and one of the guys did this whole thing about being blown away by the cheerios he was eating. Asking if they were honey nut or something cause they were so good.

Is this a quote from a movie? Its driving me crazy cause I'm sure I've heard it before.

Sounds like Pulp Fiction to me.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Skwirl posted:

I know that Fired Up is the unrated cut. So it's definitely not always the theatrical version. But I don't know if it's mentioned which version any particular movie is. Except Blade Runner, they tell you which is which for that one.

On that topic...

Which version of Blade Runner is better? I saw one version, I don't remember which one it was, and I'd like to give it another chance.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Flatscan posted:

Sounds like Pulp Fiction to me.

Oooooh yeah, the cheese burger bit. God drat it just didnt click. Thanks.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Oooooh yeah, the cheese burger bit. God drat it just didnt click. Thanks.

Don't mean to rain on your parade but I don't think they did that with cereal in Pulp Fiction. Burgers, yes, cereal, no. Could be wrong but I don't think so.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

X-Ray Pecs posted:

On that topic...

Which version of Blade Runner is better? I saw one version, I don't remember which one it was, and I'd like to give it another chance.

I think the consensus is that the 1992 Director's Cut is the best, as it removes the voice over and retains some ambiguity that the 2007 Final Cut spells out. I might be misremembering though.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

therattle posted:

Don't mean to rain on your parade but I don't think they did that with cereal in Pulp Fiction. Burgers, yes, cereal, no. Could be wrong but I don't think so.

The line in the show is the exact same as the lines in the movie, only subsisting Cheerios for Cheeseburgers

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Carthag posted:

I think the consensus is that the 1992 Director's Cut is the best, as it removes the voice over and retains some ambiguity that the 2007 Final Cut spells out. I might be misremembering though.

The Final Cut or nothing. :colbert:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Machine posted:

The Final Cut or nothing. :colbert:

This, not just for the creative changes but because it fixes a number of continuity and effects errors as well.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

There's nothing wrong with the voice-over in Blade Runner. As a "future noir", it's entirely appropriate.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Terminator Salvation: What's with Marcus randomly forgetting he is playing a American? And speaking with an Aussie accent?

Was the director just that big an idiot he does not watch the dailies with the sound on?

ANd yes, the director was just that big an idiot. Who write the dialog for that? Why does every scene include someone yelling at someone to do something they are already doing?

kapalama fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 22, 2010

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

anticake posted:

Sex Drive is the crazy "random naked people for no reason every 5 minutes" Unrated Version with no god drat warning until the director tells you in a clip 10 seconds before the movie starts.

I remember seeing one pair of tits in Sex Drive Unrated, but not random naked people.

There must be a really unrated version. Movie is still hilarious, though mostly from James Marsden.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I think Clooney used to use make-up, but stopped it recently. He explained that that's why he's looking so old in his films now, because he doesn't want anyone to cover it up. It didn't come across as a vanity thing, more that he would prefer to look his age now.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

X-Ray Pecs posted:

On that topic...

Final Cut by far. Much, much better picture quality than the otherwise very similar Director's Cut. If you watch it on Blu Ray you literally will not believe this is an early 80s movie. Without any exaggeration, I can say that when I saw it in the theater during its limited release, I was struck dumb by how good it looked (and sounded) -- easily looks like it was shot in 2009.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

(Blade Runner Final Cut vs Director's Cut)

Wasn't there a thing about Final Cut spelling out that Deckard's a replicant though? I seem to remember some outrage over that back when it came out...

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Carthag posted:

(Blade Runner Final Cut vs Director's Cut)

Wasn't there a thing about Final Cut spelling out that Deckard's a replicant though? I seem to remember some outrage over that back when it came out...

Nothing really that wasn't added by the Director's Cut. The unicorn scene is changed, but the implications of having the unicorn scene at all are included in the DC. There really wouldn't be much reason to watch the DC over the Final Cut.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

My question is really this: Did Basie really at any point care about Jim or was he always a means to an end, whether it was to get extra food or prepare for his eventual escape?

To me, Basie seems to be an opportunist and Jim just provided him with many opportunities. If Jim were not useful to him, he would have sold him or traded him for food or whatever. Jim's personality and his great ability to get things provided many more opportunities for Basie than would "selling" him for a one-time payoff. I read the book years and years ago, it is excellent, you should give it a shot. You do know that it is autobiographical, yes?

My question is about The White Ribbon. What the gently caress happened in this movie? I loved it but I didn't see anything that might explain exactly what was going on like the last 2 seconds of Cache did, did I miss something?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Darth Dukakis posted:

Nothing really that wasn't added by the Director's Cut. The unicorn scene is changed, but the implications of having the unicorn scene at all are included in the DC. There really wouldn't be much reason to watch the DC over the Final Cut.

Ah ok, it's been a while since I saw the DC and I haven't gotten around to the FC yet.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

I think Clooney used to use make-up, but stopped it recently. He explained that that's why he's looking so old in his films now, because he doesn't want anyone to cover it up. It didn't come across as a vanity thing, more that he would prefer to look his age now.

I think it more to do that the make up chair sucks, it can take hours to do the most basic make-up. If you can get away without it then go for it.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

twistedmentat posted:

I remember seeing one pair of tits in Sex Drive Unrated, but not random naked people.

There must be a really unrated version. Movie is still hilarious, though mostly from James Marsden.

Before it starts the writer and director are talking about how this is a retarded version and you should watch the real version first because this one is retarded. Plot, plot, plot, tits, plot, plot, plot, giant penis, etc., etc. And no one ever reacts to any of the gratuitous nudity. Ever. It's kind of weird.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So in Aliens, when the Marines are told to hand over their ammo, the smart gun carries put something into to guns. What the heck was it? It looks more like a battery than ammo.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

twistedmentat posted:

So in Aliens, when the Marines are told to hand over their ammo, the smart gun carries put something into to guns. What the heck was it? It looks more like a battery than ammo.

It's ammo. Future ammo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

LesterGroans posted:

It's ammo. Future ammo.

Its confusing because the pulse rifles clearly have clips like standard guns, but the smart guys have some weird plug.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Yeah, I always just kind of handwaved it away as it being a capacitor or something. I mean, how are you going to hand over a bag of ammo for a minigun?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've seen all the Terminator movies except for the most recent one, and I'm thinking of getting it on Netflix. Before I do, however, is Salvation anything at all like the beginning of Terminator 2?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

cheerfullydrab posted:

I've seen all the Terminator movies except for the most recent one, and I'm thinking of getting it on Netflix. Before I do, however, is Salvation anything at all like the beginning of Terminator 2?

Salvation is nothing like any of the other terminators. Frankly it was a complete waste of time except for the special effects. I like popcorn movies just fine; but that movie there is the reason why Hollywood studio oversight, even for all the meddling, are good for high budget movies. (Salvation was the most expensive independent film ever made.)

It was a really, really bad movie with a stupid ideas, horrible acting, terrible directing, inane 'dialogue' (usually just random people shouting out what someone you could see onscreen was doing 'He's running!!!!' 'He fell down!!!!', 'The Plane crashed!!!!'), incomprehensible 'plot' (actually there simply was no plot).

But really, really, really good special effects.

That were completely wasted on a crapfest of a movie. That director should never be allowed to direct again, ever.

The other terminator movies (and the series) always played with interesting ideas. This movie was like watching a NASCAR crash reel. Lots of things go bang for no discernible reason. And then the movie ended.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I meant, specifically, the very beginning of the second movie where it shows what the "future" looks like: the crazy battle between humans and robots with the messed up burned out city. As a kid I thought a whole big scifi movie like that would be pretty cool. Salvation doesn't live up to that at all?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

kapalama posted:

The other terminator movies (and the series) always played with interesting ideas.
If the third Terminator film had any ideas I must've missed them.

And what I've seen of the series (only part of the first season) features some absolutely appallingly terrible writing and equivalently bad acting. It's almost fascinating how bad the drat thing is. What I find particularly interesting is how every bit part seems to be played by a better actor than the principles, which are just really awful. It's like an optical illusion or something how bad they are. I don't think I've ever seen acting so uniformly terrible except when on-screen penetration was involved. Is the series really well regarded? Watching it I figured it was so punishingly wretched that even fans of the franchise would have backed away from it in disgust, kinda like the equally reprehensible AvP flicks.

I mean I don't want to go on about it but the series was bad. Like really, really bad. What am I missing? Does the entire cast get wiped out in the second season and replaced by something more entertaining, like sock puppets or something?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

cheerfullydrab posted:

I meant, specifically, the very beginning of the second movie where it shows what the "future" looks like: the crazy battle between humans and robots with the messed up burned out city. As a kid I thought a whole big scifi movie like that would be pretty cool. Salvation doesn't live up to that at all?

It's mostly daytime and there are no lasers yet and John Connor isn't proper "leader" yet. Watch it the once and never again, just don't expect the Terminator 1/2 future war stuff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
At least there is only about 3 seconds of someone riding a dirt bike. gently caress you McG, no one else cares about Dirk Bike racing except you and that guy who married Pink. Why do you force it into every movie you direct?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
To actually answer the question you asked...No, the battles in Terminator: Salvation do not resemble the battle scenes from T1 or T2. There are no lasers, no giant robot tanks driving over fields littered with human skulls. There are no T-800 endoskeletons duel-wielding plasma riffles and there are no plucky humans ambushing them and killing them. There is no darkness only lit by the flashes of explosions and laser fire. There are no jeeps with plasma guns welded on by human ingenuity.

Nothing that made any of those scenes awesome is in Salvation. Never see it. It is one of the most terrible movies I've ever seen and will mentally scar anyone that actually loved the first two movies.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Watch the Terminator TV show instead. It has proper future-war scenes in the style of the first two movies and even if you end up not liking it it's still better than Salvation.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I just watched Chinatown and I don't think I "get" it. It was enjoyable enough with good performances from its leads, but I always see it mentioned as A Great Movie and I'm just not seeing it. I don't really see any depth to it or any meaning beyond "Things aren't always what they seem; also incest." Am I just bad at movies?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Tender Bender posted:

I just watched Chinatown and I don't think I "get" it. It was enjoyable enough with good performances from its leads, but I always see it mentioned as A Great Movie and I'm just not seeing it. I don't really see any depth to it or any meaning beyond "Things aren't always what they seem; also incest." Am I just bad at movies?
It's not a puzzle to be figured out. It's considered a great film because of craftsmanship: Towne's script, Polanski's direction, Goldsmith's score, the acting, the production design, and so forth. It evokes a certain time and more particularly a certain genre of fiction, and it does this superlatively and without either being merely a pastiche or engaging in revisionism.

I mean we could get into deconstructing the story if you want, but that's not really at the heart of why it's considered a classic.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

twistedmentat posted:

If you look closely, you can see the actual ammo drums on their guns. I always took it as a fuse needed for their guns to fire, which is odd that they're told 'clear and lock'. I guess it's sort of along the same lines as the fact that their supposedly caseless guns are ejecting .45ACP brass the whole film.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I was just watching the Runaways, and The Hollywood sign has always made me wonder. I can understand it was lovely and falling apart in the 70s, because pretty much everything during that era was dirty and falling apart (at least according to my parents and any "realistic" film set in that era), but there are a lot of scenes of them hanging out there. There are lots of other movies and tv shows that show people either being romantic there or just going there to chill.

Can you actually go to the sign? I'd think they'd have a giant fence around it and guards. If not, then wouldn't it be crowded?

God drat I love Chinatown.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

To actually answer the question you asked...No, the battles in Terminator: Salvation do not resemble the battle scenes from T1 or T2. There are no lasers, no giant robot tanks driving over fields littered with human skulls. There are no T-800 endoskeletons duel-wielding plasma riffles and there are no plucky humans ambushing them and killing them. There is no darkness only lit by the flashes of explosions and laser fire. There are no jeeps with plasma guns welded on by human ingenuity.

Nothing that made any of those scenes awesome is in Salvation. Never see it. It is one of the most terrible movies I've ever seen and will mentally scar anyone that actually loved the first two movies.

To be fair there is a plucky human ambushing robots but unfortunately the robots are dumbass retarded fuckbots and not the cool chrome skeletons of your childhood. And the kid is a dumb rear end too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ugh of all the stupid things in Salvation, Star was the one I hated the most. Why do we always, always have to have kids in movies? The only place they have is to give one of the adult characters something more to worry about.

I used to hate on Dakota Fanning in War of the Worlds as an example of this, but I'm going to Forgive her after tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
yarg, double post