Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Chillin. :smug:

Can you get me that jersey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

Martytoof posted:

gently caress, we dropped at 10:30 and our winter games start at 11:00 sometimes. Night hockey is cool and all but the adrenaline keeping you up until 4am isn't :argh:
The rink my brother and I play at have been rocking 11:15 games throughout the summer season. It's gross. I come home afterwards all jazzed up, start playing some games and then boom, wake up at 3am, controller on the floor and back at the BC2 title screen.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

trilljester posted:

Can you get me that jersey?

The blank one or with "Cobra Kai" on it? We'll probably need to order another batch in the next season or two. Otherwise, you can get blank ones on goaliemonkey.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?

Hazed_blue posted:

The rink my brother and I play at have been rocking 11:15 games throughout the summer season. It's gross. I come home afterwards all jazzed up, start playing some games and then boom, wake up at 3am, controller on the floor and back at the BC2 title screen.

Actually, some of them are at 11:30 this season. I like sleep, but I sure as hell am not skipping hockey.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Hey, someone with a GSBB account mind throwing these in the eBay sightings thread for me??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320565063022&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
My "favorite" part about hockey is that my metabolism takes a couple hours to slow down, so not only am I up until 3 or 4 AM after the Tuesday night skills session, but I am sweating like mad all night too.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Aniki posted:

My "favorite" part about hockey is that my metabolism takes a couple hours to slow down, so not only am I up until 3 or 4 AM after the Tuesday night skills session, but I am sweating like mad all night too.

This. I've given up on wearing a shirt for at least an hour or two after I'm out of the shower.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

sba posted:

Hey, someone with a GSBB account mind throwing these in the eBay sightings thread for me??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320565063022&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Done and done.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Martytoof posted:

Done and done.

:h:

Those gloves are built like tanks too. I just will never use them, and I'm moving so I'm sick of carting poo poo around with me.

sba fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 22, 2010

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

The blank one or with "Cobra Kai" on it? We'll probably need to order another batch in the next season or two. Otherwise, you can get blank ones on goaliemonkey.

The Cobra Kai one.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

trilljester posted:

The Cobra Kai one.

A goalie cut or normal? Like I said, soon enough we'll probably have to order another batch of jersey's, and I'll include yours in the order.

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007
Won my game last night that went to a shoot out. If I could just widen up my friggin butterfly and stop poo poo that went low glove side I wouldn't have had to worry about the shoot out, but a W's a W.

Also, an SA Goalie Jersey would be pretty cool, then we'd all be on our own secret team of internet friends.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
NHL 11 has ridiculous amounts of gear and customization:

http://www.goaliecrease.net/locker-room/1004-ea-sports-nhl-11-goalie-gear-gurn.html

These are just the Vaughns :o

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

A goalie cut or normal? Like I said, soon enough we'll probably have to order another batch of jersey's, and I'll include yours in the order.

Normal, XXL if possible. (Yes, I'm a winger spying on the goalies).. Actually reading up to learn ways to beat you fucks. I'm on a dry spell right now.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

sba posted:

http://www.goaliecrease.net/locker-room/1004-ea-sports-nhl-11-goalie-gear-gurn.html

Oh my goodness...

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

sba posted:

Does it make me a giant dork that I hope my somewhat older Sherwood stuff makes it in?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I want mid 90s KoHo stuff in there. gently caress you Reebok, get off your stupid rear end and give up the rights.

Or I think it's Reebok with the rights. I don't even know anymore.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

BulimicGoat posted:

Won my game last night that went to a shoot out. If I could just widen up my friggin butterfly and stop poo poo that went low glove side I wouldn't have had to worry about the shoot out, but a W's a W.

Also, an SA Goalie Jersey would be pretty cool, then we'd all be on our own secret team of internet friends.

Work on kicking your leg out. I have a really narrow butterfly but since I have a quick left leg it's pretty rare I ever get beat on a shot to that side that a wide butterfly would have stopped. My blocker side is a whole different story though. Also, there are some shots that are just plain unstoppable for the most part and there's no amount of wide butterfly or quick legs or anything that's going to stop them and for those, you just tip your hat

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

EA give me my 560s, H10s and V1s! I miss the days where pad graphics didn't look like rear end.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Driving to PA for a men's hockey tournament this weekend. Free food, barbecuing every meat known to man in the parking lot, and endless amounts of beer before, during and after our scheduled games. And hockey. Everything a weekend needs.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

trilljester posted:

Normal, XXL if possible. (Yes, I'm a winger spying on the goalies).. Actually reading up to learn ways to beat you fucks. I'm on a dry spell right now.

I got absolutely furious last night when I skated out and couldn't get anything to go in. In my defense, it was my second game of the night, but - in my words - "That fat fucker can't stop poo poo any other time I play him! And now! Brick loving wall!"

God drat I hate not scoring. I get more stressed playing out than playing in goal.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Do you guys pay to play in leagues? I'm a (lovely) forward trying to start a team and I need a goalie but it seems none of them think they have to pay.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.

poser posted:

Do you guys pay to play in leagues? I'm a (lovely) forward trying to start a team and I need a goalie but it seems none of them think they have to pay.

Goalies typically don't pay unless they make significantly more than the rest of the team generally. The idea is that you can't play without one and our equipment costs eclipse yours without trying. For instance the cost of my first mask could likely outfit a skater out of net. If you are assembling a team you have no reputation in the league so you are trying to sniff out "free agent" goalies, they really don't like to pay.

I don't pay to play pick up games for teams, I do pay to help out my shinny group because they are a bunch of broke scrubs. In reality they need me far more than I need them but I am a nice guy, and after our squabble last year they are much better now.

I also have a new theory about hockey as people age:

The violence and goon like behaviour of the game increases with the following factors:

1) Single/divorced men, bitter about their current status
2) Poorly educated blue collar workers
3) The type of alcohol they NORMALLY drink being lovely beer

I picked up a few games in a league that is primarily doctors, lawyers, nurses, and EMTs and the hockey is much better. Nobody is trying to put each other through the boards, no dirty hits, no fights, and due to the professional aspect of all players they play positional hockey quite well. Nobody can go to work with busted teeth, bruises, or broken bones so the hockey is clean, the quality of player is pretty high, and after the game its microbrew and scotch with cigars. A far cry from watching two furnace installers beating the poo poo out of each other because one is sleeping with the others woman... The sad part and good part actually is that due to the nature of the players careers there are no real set teams as everyone is on oddball schedules.

Space Cadet fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 25, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The reality is that most goalies haven't paid for icetime since they laced up their skates and will have gotten accustomed to it. I'm certainly no exception to this.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)
My league fees were always $50 flat rate, play for all the teams you want. And every season when it's time to pay I had one guy who would drop the "this is sooo expensive. oh but you only have to pay $50, right?" line. I always feel kind of bad but then I drop comments about how I need to replace my gloves and it's going to cost me $400 and I feel better.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

poser posted:

Goddamned right. :smug:

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?
That... sucks. We pay the same as all the rest of the players. $500. :(

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007
We pay the same as players, but the costs vary depending on the number of players on your team. I paid $90 this season, but my brother who also plays goalie in the same league had to pay $120 because his team had fewer players.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Seems that goalies pay full everywhere in VA :(

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

poser posted:

Do you guys pay to play in leagues?

No way

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

ManicJason posted:

Seems that goalies pay full everywhere in VA :(
WTF? I don't pay for anything I don't take home with me.

If skaters want you to share ice time cost, they oughta share equipment costs.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
I just asked because it was $6900 per team for summer season (16 games + 2 preseason + playoffs if you make it) and that comes out to $383.33 per game for the team. Winter season is 24 + 2 and assuming its same price per game its almost $10k per team for winter season:smith:

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.

poser posted:

I just asked because it was $6900 per team for summer season (16 games + 2 preseason + playoffs if you make it) and that comes out to $383.33 per game for the team. Winter season is 24 + 2 and assuming its same price per game its almost $10k per team for winter season:smith:

Those numbers sound about right, now if you get 4 full lines for offense, 3 full d-man pairs the team as a whole can look to spend about 23 dollars per game with the goalie/s riding for free. Nobody said hockey is cheap, but chances are if you can't get at least one, possibly two goalies on board your team will crumble and you will be relying on pick up goalies who also wont be paying. Budget your team with the idea that the goalie is playing free or end up short on money at the end of the season unless you find a lovely enough goalie that he is WILLING to pay. The catch is that if he is lovely enough to need to pay to be on a team all you really have is a third defense on the ice, not a goalie. :p As with everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I played against a bunch of guys that are getting ready to try out for the ASU hockey team. It's hard, but I like pushing myself and players like that will expose any flaws in your game pretty quickly, so it's a good learning tool. That being said, I started off on the side that at least tried to play some defense, so it was hard and a had a lot of cases of battling for 3 or 4 saves before getting beat, it at least felt manageable. The goalie on the other side, who is generally better than me was getting killed, and when I switched sides I figured out why. The shooters I was facing were about the same level of talent, but my defense was completely dogging it. I always find it funny that teams/sides like that will always apologize for their lack of defense, but they'll never do simple things like covering the backside when you take the shot or clear rebounds. I think I'll start being more vocal about that, I try not be too pushy at open hockey, but maybe I can trick them into playing defense if I yell out enough instructions.

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"

poser posted:

Bad news/good news: I seriously doubt you'll find anyone that actually wants to pay, unfortunately. We are pretty accustomed to our little perks.

However,depending on what night and division you're playing, I'm interested in at least backing up for you, poser.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

poser posted:

Poser, you in the hockey thread on off-topic?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
If my team fees were only $100 or so I'd gladly pay to play on my team. However with my work team we get some help from work to pay for the seasons and have a pretty decently sized team, but even with that it's almost $250 a person to play.

That after having paid all that money for all the equipment I kind of don't have any left to pay that $200+ every season

parsleyc
Sep 28, 2007
What are the rules on selling gear?

I've got some old gear I'd like to pass on to some goons.

I have a pro-level blocker in great shape, but it has a hole in the index fingertip.

I also have a pro-level (off-the-shelf) cat-eye mask that needs some TLC. The cage is slightly bent, the foam was replaced (shoddily) and therefore needs to be replaced again, the cage screws are rusted and won't come out, and there is very slight chipping on the chin. The shell is otherwise in great shape.

I'll wait for info from Marty as to whether it's okay to spam pictures here, or if I should just go open a thread in SA-Mart.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
Speaking of selling/get rid of gear... I have a shitload of stuff that, at this point is doing nothing but taking up space and I've just never cared enough to try and sell it on EBay or anything. I'll gather together some pictures later today and post them and if anybody wants them we can talk. I'm not trying to make some substantial sum of money off anything as getting them out of the house is the biggest perk, but considering it's all at least decent stuff (at the time it was bought), at least a little something coming back (and shipping if I have to ship it) would be nice.

Just a little preview of the stuff I have around and I'll either edit some pictures in later or make a new post:
34" (I think... possibly 36") Koho 560 pads - they might be 565's but I'm preeetty sure they're 560's.

Koho 460 Glove/Blocker

Vaughn V1 Glove/Blocker

Bauer Reactor 3000 skates (not sure what size but I can try and figure it out... I think they're like 9's or something.)

All of the stuff is in various states of wear but I'll take the pictures, post them, and if anybody is interested in anything I have make sure to take more pictures of any wear/damage I can spot on whatever piece of equipment you're interested in as I'm not trying to sleazeball anybody out of anything.

Edit: Like parsleyc, I'll post pictures if Marty says it's ok, I mean*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Same here. I have a small Vaughn Legacy 6000 C/A (Pro), Itech 7.8 Vamps 34" leg pads (SR), a pair of Bauer XIX skates size 6.5D (SR), and I have an Itech 11.8 pant (I think it's considered pro and I'll check to see if it's medium or large) that I may be replacing soon. There's no point for me to hold onto gear that I'm not using, so I should get off my rear end post some pictures and try to sell it.

• Locked thread