Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Petey posted:

From an old helldump thread:

has anyone done this

no but I want to now

gonna go out on a limb and suggest duke and UVA and georgetown are overrepresented in the evil department

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Finally a chance for Northeastern to be in the T14!

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I looked up the fellows from Heritage and CAP, let's see

heritage:
chicago x3
ohio northern
oklahoma city u
ohio state
george mason
regent

cap:
stanford x2
yale
UNC
berkeley
northeastern
harvard
columbia
(got bored)

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

TyChan posted:

If it's so enjoyable, why do you want to be a lawyer?
I get paid in peanuts. No real room for advancement. Firm I work for is pressuring hard on staff's billable and collectable goals, but since our major trial in Jan/Feb work has been pretty sparse. Additionally, and most importantly, having seen what litigation attorneys actually do on a daily basis and feeling that I would enjoy the legal world from that position rather than from the outside/periphery looking in, I'm hoping that:

tau posted:

Being an attorney is the tops.
Is true.

Incidentally, the attorneys I work for were kind enough to divulge the wisdom as to what is best in law school life: to sit in the front of every class, to always raise my hand to answer questions and to bring a roller-bag to carry all of my books.

What great advice! :v:

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Green Crayons posted:

I get paid in peanuts. No real room for advancement. Firm I work for is pressuring hard on staff's billable and collectable goals, but since our major trial in Jan/Feb work has been pretty sparse. Additionally, and most importantly, having seen what litigation attorneys actually do on a daily basis and feeling that I would enjoy the legal world from that position rather than from the outside/periphery looking in, I'm hoping that:
Is true.

You know, even though this is probably still an Objectively Dumb Decision at least you're not a self-admitted lib arts major who's going class of 2013 because he needs to do something and he knows things are bad but that doesn't matter because the bad things will magically only happen to other people.

Also, Petey, do you still have a link to Goons.txt. I tried googling but only found Goons.doc. It's just not the same, surely you understand. :smug:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Linguica posted:

heritage:
chicago x3
ohio northern
oklahoma city u
ohio state
george mason
regent

cap:
stanford x2
yale
UNC
berkeley
northeastern
harvard
columbia
(got bored)

awesome, sent.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
I had my first shouting match over the phone with opposing counsel earlier this week. He insinuated that I was too young of a lawyer to know how to negotiate properly, and I insinuated that my client would be more willing to settle if his client's defense didn't rest entirely on case law decided in the Mesozoic era (which was apparently the last time opposing counsel cracked a book). All of this for a case where the amount in controversy is so small I've fantasized about just paying my client's claim myself just so I wouldn't have to deal with the case again.

In conclusion,

tau posted:

Being an attorney is the tops.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Good news for me, bad news for would-be biglaw associates.

Current project has me doing some substantive work. I was in Lexis doing legal research today. There's been idle chatter about having me draft something if they run out of boring crap for me to do (they probably won't, but the fact that they're thinking about it is interesting).

Maybe just a weird outlier. Maybe a sign of things to come.

In the future, the only lawyers with jobs will either be a partner or a temp Indian.

Its weird to have to think. Thought about demanding more money for it, but I'm just happy to be doing something real and don't want to make waves.

Kase Im Licht fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 23, 2010

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Linguica posted:

Could you tell me what these words mean

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

J Miracle posted:

Could you tell me what these words mean

Smart people. Real smart. At least eleven times smarter than the smartest person at a TTT, and probably twice as smart as those lower T14 kids.

Leon Kowalski
Dec 9, 2007

Wolf Den this is Lone Wolf, do you read? Prepare for emergency landing, arriving with American POWs!

Gadamer posted:

Has anyone here gone to grad school before going to law school?

I did. I start law school in a month, so I don't have much law school insight yet to contrast with my grad school experience.

What did you want to know?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BigHead posted:

Smart people. Real smart. At least eleven times smarter than the smartest person at a TTT, and probably twice as smart as those lower T14 kids.

Yet they went to law school.
Lies and slander.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Leon Kowalski posted:

I did. I start law school in a month, so I don't have much law school insight yet to contrast with my grad school experience.

What did you want to know?

Why. God, why?

Unless you're getting a free ride by virtue of your pre-existing PhD in hard sciences, which you aren't using because you decided you hated hard sciences and you're hoping you can backdoor into patent law.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Articling (and OCI I guess) Call Day is literally the worst day in law school

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I was reading through megathread 7 because I have nothing to do at work and this poo poo is hilarious. it's from before the economy cratered and all the current 2Ls-3Ls-recent grads were so full of hope and promise. This is probably my favourite post in the whole thread, though:

CaptainScraps posted:

Good god, with all these Harvard and T14 kids, this thread is going to be terrifying in five two years with all the names and dollar signs being thrown around.
:lol:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Post more highlights for us poors without archives

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 1, 2016

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gadamer posted:

I was given a full ride to the masters program at my old school for economics. I would like to go to law school, but my GPA isn't all that great (I just happened to have a 4.0 in my econ courses). When applying, did they care about your undergraduate grades, or did they focus more on your graduate? I can do the econ masters in under a year, so if that could take me from a T2/low T1 to a possible T14, it seems absolutely worth it.

undergrad (those are the ones that get reported to US News)

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Why are people still asking that same stupid question over and over.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 1, 2016

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
It's like...

I can't figure out that grades are immensely inflated in grad programs, and would thus be a poor metric for admissions, yet I want to be a lawyer and stack paper to the ceiling.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

billion dollar bitch posted:

It's like...

I can't figure out that grades are immensely inflated in grad programs, and would thus be a poor metric for admissions, yet I want to be a lawyer and stack paper to the ceiling.*

*in this sentence 'paper' refers to discovery documents you need to read by Tuesday

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
*asks thread for advice on a question that's been asked a dozen times*
*gets the same advice that's been given that same dozen times*
*bridles at the justification given for this answer*
*disregards this answer based on this other guy who went somewhere and did something*
*goes to Touro Law School*

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Why not read through 84 pages of posts? It can be practice for being a Real Law Student.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Why not read through 84 pages of posts? It can be practice for being a Real LawyerDoc Review Slave.

I think this is more appropriate these days.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Gadamer posted:

Because I don't care how many chicken sandwiches you've had :colbert:

ALL THIS INFORMATION IS RELEVANT TO THE WAY OF THE LAW STUDENT!

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

Kids in China are playing tag with knives, on playgrounds constructed of spinning razorblades and spike traps, because it will make them stronger.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Articling (and OCI I guess) Call Day is literally the worst day in law school

How did it go for you? I thought you were just doing Ottawa? How many interviews?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

Gadamer posted:

...Half of the grades at Harvard are As and 91% of 2003 graduating seniors graduated with honors. Grade inflation? No way.

I don't really get the whole grade inflation complaint when it comes to schools like Harvard. Is it so difficult to believe that half of the kids who were able to get into Harvard are turning in A-quality work?

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
I just want everyone who posts a "HAY GUYS CAN I GO TO LAW SCHOOL" to have taken a practice LSAT and to have their undergrad GPA ready.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

soj89 posted:

How did it go for you? I thought you were just doing Ottawa? How many interviews?

3 interviews out of 12 apps, which is a crazy good ratio considering a couple friends got 0/80some.

Got a downtown Toronto prosecution gig but the Department of Justice rejected me :qq:

How'd you do?

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

Holland Oats posted:

I don't really get the whole grade inflation complaint when it comes to schools like Harvard. Is it so difficult to believe that half of the kids who were able to get into Harvard are turning in A-quality work?

Depends on if you consider A/B/C/D/F grades to be against some universal absolute scale, or indexed against the student body of the class or institution awarding them.

If the former, then yes, the 50%+ number makes sense. However, I think most people assume that grades should follow the latter model, (i.e. a "C" at Harvard doesn't mean the same as a "C" at Joe's School for the Semi-Literate).

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gadamer posted:

LSAT 171, GRE 800 Math/740 Verbal, 3.1 GPA. Guess I'm going to Valpo.

nobody cares about your GRE either

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Gadamer posted:

LSAT 171, GRE 800 Math/740 Verbal, 3.1 GPA. Guess I'm going to Valpo.
MIGHT get into Georgetown or Cornell or maybe Northwestern

Decent chance of getting in Vanderbilt, USC, BU, GW

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Soothing Vapors posted:

I was reading through megathread 7 because I have nothing to do at work and this poo poo is hilarious. it's from before the economy cratered and all the current 2Ls-3Ls-recent grads were so full of hope and promise. This is probably my favourite post in the whole thread, though:
:lol:

I really miss 22-year-old Captainscraps :(

Gadamer posted:

I would like to think that an A at a top university is harder to get than an A at University of Flyover State Satellite Campus.

LSAT 171, 3.1 GPA. Guess I'm going to Valpo.

Your GPA indicates to me that you're going to gently caress up law school. Law school success isn't about how smart you are; it's about EFFORT. It's about persistence, about studying until your eyes burn and really caring about this poo poo. That's what defense practice is like; putting in a whole lot of loving effort.

It's like...

I can't figure out that grades are immensely inflated in grad programs, and would thus be a poor metric for admissions, yet I want to be a lawyer and stack paper to the ceiling.

I have tried to stack paper to the ceiling. I get told to clean up my desk when it reaches 3 feet high.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 23, 2010

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
special snowflake spotted