Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
You know what's the best unintended use of an augmentation? Using Electrostatic Discharge with a baton to whack every single laser, trip wire, turret or camera you come across until they drool battery acid. It wasn't until Paris or later in my latest play through that I actually upgraded it so I could knock the security bots out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Grey Fox V2 posted:

You know what's the best unintended use of an augmentation? Using Electrostatic Discharge with a baton to whack every single laser, trip wire, turret or camera you come across until they drool battery acid. It wasn't until Paris or later in my latest play through that I actually upgraded it so I could knock the security bots out.

Yeaaah....as much as I liked microfibral muscle for carrying things around, having the ability to whack a laser emitter with a crowbar and waltz through it was just too good to pass up. It's maybe even a little overpowered in that respect.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
I basically treated the entire basement of the NSF HQ in New York like whack-a-mole with lasers with that aug.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I bought this today and I'm playing through it for the first time ever. Liberty Island was total rear end and I have to get use to having to manually save. Why can't I kill anything silently without resorting to bullets? Seems a little odd that I can't loving shank a dude in the neck when I get the drop on him. I found the crossbow useful enough for stealth killing though. But now I got a stealth pistol and I dumped all the weapon mods I found into it. I also hacked into the UNATCO computers and read everybody's emails which awarded me nothing I didn't already have already. Will there be problems if I let that bar on the Ice Breaker run out? I figured there would and I would always log out before it ran out. I'm going for an espionage kinda JC. I dumped a level into everything that can get me into something and pistols.

EDIT: And yes, I picked the GEP Gun.

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.

SpazmasterX posted:

Will there be problems if I let that bar on the Ice Breaker run out? I figured there would and I would always log out before it ran out.

The terminal will EMP you and drain all your energy followed by setting any nearby alarms off I think. Maybe not the alarms but don't do it anyway!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Most of the computers you hack will just get you emails to read. Story's important.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

SpazmasterX posted:

Why can't I kill anything silently without resorting to bullets? Seems a little odd that I can't loving shank a dude in the neck when I get the drop on him.

The knife doesn't give a bonus for sneaking up on a guy. The prod does.

(Insert obligatory 'stick with the prod'.)

Incidentally, that looks like a decent idea for a mod. Since the code for "Are you hitting from behind?" exists in the prod, it should be a simple cut and paste job.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Gynovore posted:

(Insert obligatory 'stick with the prod'.)
A NON-LETHAL TAKEDOWN IS Always the most silent takedown

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I tried using the prod, but it takes ammo and doesn't seem to actually drop guys, just causes them to spaz out and then start shooting me.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

SpazmasterX posted:

I tried using the prod, but it takes ammo and doesn't seem to actually drop guys, just causes them to spaz out and then start shooting me.

Base of the spine, from behind. Drops 'em with a satisfying sound effect.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SpazmasterX posted:

You can follow up by hitting them from behind with a crowbar or knife while they're spazzing. It should kill them in one hit even with an untrained melee skill. Even if it doesn't kill them it should make them flee, all you'd have to do is chase them down and hit them again. That's usually how I play liberty island on subsequent play throughs. You don't even really have to be stealthy, you can just charge them (from behind though, or else they might have time to get a shot in), prod with the prod, then finish with the crowbar.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Underflow posted:

Base of the spine, from behind. Drops 'em with a satisfying sound effect.

This. If you gently caress that up you can hit them (with the prod, you're police remember, the knife and crowbar are both lethal) again to incapacitate them. If an enemy is unaware bullwhipping them with the baton at the base of the spine will put them down.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
If you're really worried about prod ammo (although there should be plenty if you only use one zap per person) then bring along a pepper sprayer, too. One quick blast should be enough to stop one person, giving you enough time to use whatever melee weapon you have on hand. One pepper cartridge should give you enough ammo for 7-10 sprays, and they're quite common.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
I've always had TERRIBLE luck with the pepper gun. For whatever reason, even if I'm standing right in somebody's face, or a few inches away, or a foot, or whatever, they will ALWAYS immediately become alerted the instant I start spraying and run away before the spray even reaches them (of course the spray hits and affects ME plenty). To actually GET somebody, I usually have to chase them all around and MIGHT actually get them once per canister.

Figuring out the nuance of how some things work is something I can be REALLY bad at in games. Like, I was terrible at hiding in Crysis when I first started, then my friend told me that bushes are pretty much inviso-realms, at which point the game became much easier, and easier for me to predict.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Male Man posted:

If you're really worried about prod ammo (although there should be plenty if you only use one zap per person) then bring along a pepper sprayer, too. One quick blast should be enough to stop one person, giving you enough time to use whatever melee weapon you have on hand. One pepper cartridge should give you enough ammo for 7-10 sprays, and they're quite common.

Bonus: taking your sweet time to go through your slaughter options while enjoying the sight of your enemy crying his eyes out.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

SpazmasterX posted:

Seems a little odd that I can't loving shank a dude in the neck when I get the drop on him.
Paul mentions that a non-lethal takedown is the most silent takedown on the docks. This isn't flavor text, it's a game mechanic. If you want to quickly and discretely drop someone, a prod to the back or baton to the back (both weapons are much less useful if you attack an enemy head-on; the prod will never drop someone instantly and I don't think the baton even does damage). The knife, crowbar, swords, and what have you aren't for stealth. Even if you do one-shot an enemy with them, they'll let out a little scream that will alert nearby guards. It's still quieter than gunshots, which are quieter than explosives, though.

re: pepper gun, yeah it's kind of weird. The cloud of spray just takes a long time to travel through the air, so you either need to be right on top of them or keep that button held down for a while. It's still useful in situations where you get the jump on pairs of people that aren't worth wasting a gas grenade on, but you have to be pretty liberal in your usage of it.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001
I like the prod for taking down MiBs without them exploding so I can get their items. The Shifter/Biomod random inventory gives MiBs good loot, and even in the vanilla game they usually have better-than-average stuff on them.

Even if you take an MiB by surprise it takes several prod zaps to drop them though so I still use the baton on regular enemies whenever possible to conserve prod batteries.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the pepper gun is really good but not when used in the way you'd think. Try standing like 15 feet away from enemies, so the clouds reach the enemy when they're starting to disappear. They will tear up every time.

edit: pretty much the ai and weapons are the worst tested part of deus ex and I think Spector said this in the post mortem. Consider the completely unused body moving mechanic.

brap fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 22, 2010

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003
I beat Invisible War.
It was a huge waste of my time and now I am going to go hang myself.
Watch the endings on youtube if you must.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

fleshweasel posted:

Consider the completely unused body moving mechanic.
This mechanic is exceptionally well realized in my goals to put Maggie Chow in an alley in New York and Howard Strong on top of his own nuke.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Quetzal-Coital posted:

I beat Invisible War.
It was a huge waste of my time and now I am going to go hang myself.
Watch the endings on youtube if you must.

the fourth ending is fun if you treat it as an attack on the game itself

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

fleshweasel posted:

Consider the completely unused body moving mechanic.

What do you mean by this?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Carbohydrates posted:

I don't think autosaving existed when this game came out

Half Life had it a couple of years earlier, although it wasn't common at that time.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Liberty Island is pretty terrible if you don't immediately put all your points into rifle and pistol, even if you aren't trying to play it as run and gun. Anyone who doesn't believe this is blinded by nostalgia or overadaptation.

Depending what you mean by overadaptation, the only weapon you need to use on Liberty Island is the crowbar. Unless you want to blow up the bot, in which case you need the GEP gun as well.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I constantly find myself thinking "eeeehhrrggghhhh Liberty Island again"

You can finish LI in a couple of minutes. Sneak past the first guards, go right, climb up the boxes and run to the top (sneaking past the couple of guard stations at the top of the tower)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

What do you mean by this?

Compare it to Thief, where it's a pretty core part of the stealth gameplay.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You can finish LI in a couple of minutes. Sneak past the first guards, go right, climb up the boxes and run to the top (sneaking past the couple of guard stations at the top of the tower)

Yeah but... think of all the items I'd miss! As a Deus Ex player surely you must understand this.

edit: I guess I can get them after the statue is clear, can't I?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Would it be possible to mod in enemies seeing dead/unconscious bodies and going on alert? That would be pretty sweet.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Gyshall posted:

Would it be possible to mod in enemies seeing dead/unconscious bodies and going on alert? That would be pretty sweet.

Ok now I'm going to say something stupid. Does this not happen? I've played a lot of Deus Ex and I pretty much always played non-lethal. I would take care to hide bodies but you're saying that they don't even notice them?

It was annoying since you had to loot bodies before picking them up so I always had extra inventory space or just carried common guns with me. Shifter took care of this though.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The main things you miss out on are the other option guns, some XP and a laser sight. Nothing game breaking if you've played the game before and should know what you're doing.

I feel oddly compelled to search out all the secret areas in the levels regardless of how many times I've played them. I guess this is why Deus Ex is my kinda game

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Yeah but... think of all the items I'd miss! As a Deus Ex player surely you must understand this.

edit: I guess I can get them after the statue is clear, can't I?

The main things you miss out on are the other option guns, some XP and a laser sight. Nothing game breaking if you've played the game before and should know what you're doing.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Ok now I'm going to say something stupid. Does this not happen? I've played a lot of Deus Ex and I pretty much always played non-lethal. I would take care to hide bodies but you're saying that they don't even notice them?

UNATCO trooper Lionel Smith patrolled the hallways under the Statue of Liberty. He wasn't sure why he was patrolling, but he wasn't paid to ask questions. Lionel's shoes clicked on the tile floor, and he fondly reminisced of his years in the tap-dancing troupe.

He was shaken from his reverie by a gargle. It was faint, at the foot of the stairwell. He peered over the edge. Motion. He keyed up his radio "I saw something move. A guy in a trenchcoat." He clip-clopped down the steps to investigate.

The downstairs guard, Reggie, was splayed out on the floor. He was quite well distributed; his legs were detached and crooked at the foor of the stairs. Viscera and blood streaked the floor, and wet piles of muscle oozed in the potted plants. Blood congealed at the foot of the water cooler. It stank.

But Lionel wasn't paid to ask questions. People who asked questions were fired. Or worse. No, this was some kind of trick, a test. Or maybe Reggie had asked too many questions. Well, let that be a lesson! The Roomba floorvac would have this cleaned up in no time anyway. So why worry?

"I must be seeing things," spake Lionel, and he want back to his patrol and his happy place.

*Clip clop clip clop*

bartkusa fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 23, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

^That was amazing

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I think the laser sight is kind of a must-have item if you plan to use a pistol. If you slap it on your pistol it's 100% accurate no matter how bad your skill is, so you can get instant headshots so long as you aim. No more waiting for the crosshair to shrink. Apparently shifter changes this, but that's stupid and I haven't played it. Also, for some reason, putting a scope on the gun makes the laser sight useless and you have to go back to waiting for your crosshairs to zero in. I don't know why, those two items would work very well together otherwise.

At any rate the crosshair is on your way if you're jumping up the back of the statue so there's no reason to skip it.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003

Fag Boy Jim posted:

the fourth ending is fun if you treat it as an attack on the game itself

Do you mean the Omar ending?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Quetzal-Coital posted:

Do you mean the Omar ending?

yeah, i hated every single NPC so I was grateful for it's inclusion.

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008
I love Deus Ex, but there's nothing in it as good as the first time you play "Life of the Party" in Thief 2.
It's weird that the level quality in Thief 2 goes from poor to great to bad to excellent to lovely to mind-blowing so quickly. In that regard, Deus Ex has a more cohesive and consistent map design even though you never have the fun of traipsing across two dozen rooftops into a fortress.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I love Deus Ex but honestly the lovely first level is what stops me from replaying as much as you guys do. I've only beaten it like 3 or so times. Even reading this thread I constantly find myself thinking "eeeehhrrggghhhh Liberty Island again" though this probably stems from playing the beginning areas too many times. Honestly up until you take out the NSF generator in the warehouse is kind of a drag for me now.

You should be saying "eeeehhrrggghhhh my inability to not compulsively search and collect every object in the level is triggering again."

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

From what I remember, people notice dead bodies the first time they see them, and will become alerted and sound the alarm. I dunno about the next few times they see them, once the alarm has reset. They will never notice unconscious bodies, no matter how many electrical burns they have or how many darts are sticking out of their neck. And of course you can just hack up a dead body into little bits with a crowbar and they don't notice the pile of gore, even before it fades away.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I just tested it out - I dropped a dead NSF body in another NSF soldier's patrol path and the guy noticed it and said "someone just killed him!" and freaked out a little bit, running into the wall randomly. Then he said "guess it was nothing" and went back to his patrol. If there was an alarm panel nearby he might have gone for it but there wasn't, so idunno

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The layout of Battery Park/Castle Clinton is semi-accurate, too, at least within the limitations of a game made on an engine from 2000.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Fuzz posted:

The layout of Battery Park/Castle Clinton is semi-accurate, too, at least within the limitations of a game made on an engine from 2000.

So is Paris to some extent, and the names of the places in Hong Kong are all real (Tonnochy Road, the Wan Chai market, etc). They really did make an effort to set it in the real world.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Fuzz posted:

When I visited New York a couple of years ago, I found Castle Clinton awfully disappointing.

That said, my brother and I were absolutely giddy when we discovered how accurate the Liberty Island exterior is. "Welcome to the Coalition, JC."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

orange lime posted:

So is Paris to some extent, and the names of the places in Hong Kong are all real (Tonnochy Road, the Wan Chai market, etc). They really did make an effort to set it in the real world.

Yup. I cross-posted some pictures from the Eidos forums a while ago from a guy who visited Tonnochy Road and Wan Chai police station, so you can feast upon them. :)

edit: There is also this video.