Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

iccccceman posted:

Thanks so much for the help. That logo is completely ridiculous. The local computer place charged me 35 bucks for it too. I will definitely be a pain in the rear end over there tomorrow.

e/ also are we thinking the graphics card is done as well?

It's possible, but I'd suggest trying the new power supply before you toss the video card. It's also possible that the video card draws enough extra power that the crappy power supply can't cope, and that keeps the whole system from booting properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iccccceman
Sep 30, 2003

and that was it
I was about to head to the computer store when I thought I would try my old PSU (300W) back in my rig without my graphics card plugged in. Sure enough it still works. I still want to return that PSU I picked up but now I guess I need a new graphics card. The PSU did run the rig for 2 years but I will probably pick up a better graphics card than the old one. I'm just trying to avoid having to pay for labor on it while they figure out what the problem is. So new psu, graphics card, or both?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I think this is a good thread for this question -

I'm a Mac user, and my old black Macbook is fine for most of what I do (word processing / lite webdev).

However, I really wanted to be able to play Wolfenstein and StarCraft II, neither of which are playable on my 2 GHz Intel GX3100 machine.

Though my work, I bought a recycled Dell GX620 for $40.

Full specs

Basic specs:

- 3.4 GHz Pentium D
- 2 GB RAM
- 250GB HD
- Intel 950

And the following expansion specs:

So here is my question:

I want to be able to play the following games on my PC:

quote:

***STARCRAFT 2***

PC Minimum System Requirements*:

Windows® XP/Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 (Updated with the latest Service Packs) with DirectX® 9.0c
2.6 GHz Pentium® IV or equivalent AMD Athlon® processor
128 MB PCIe NVIDIA® GeForce® 6600 GT or ATI Radeon® 9800 PRO video card or better
12 GB available HD space
1 GB RAM (1.5 GB required for Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 users)
DVD-ROM drive
Broadband Internet connection
1024X720 minimum display resolution

PC Recommended System Requirements:

Windows Vista®/Windows® 7
Dual Core 2.4Ghz Processor
2 GB RAM
512 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GTX or ATI Radeon® HD 3870 or better

***WOLF***

SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS:
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP or Windows Vista(R) (Windows 95/98/ME/2000 are unsupported)
Microsoft DirectX(R) 9.0c (included & required for Windows XP & Vista)

HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS:
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 3.2 GHz or AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3400+ processor
RAM: 1GB RAM
Video Card: 256MB NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) 6800 GT or ATI Radeon(TM) X800
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
HDD Space: 8GB (Plus an additional 800MB for Windows swap file)
Media: 100% Microsoft Windows compatible DVD-ROM drive
Internet: Broadband connection and service required for multiplayer

My goal is to spend as little money as possible to build something that will play these games
and, oh, I don't know, similarly fun but non-intensive games.

I'm not terribly worried about quality. I have a lovely Acer VGA monitor that cost $100 a few years ago. And I don't know any better so it won't be a step down. I just don't want it to be so lovely that it will make me cry.

With all of this said -

What would any of your recommend for a graphics card? And is there anything else I should do to it? Or anyplace/anyone else I should ask?

Thanks!

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
First off, you're probably going to have better luck in the system building/parts picking/upgrading megathread, which is stickied. The OP is more oriented towards people building or buying new systems, although you might want to flip through it anyway.

Unfortunately, the system you've got is probably going to be marginal. The Pentium Ds were never great processors (they're basically two hot, underperforming Pentium 4s thrown onto a single chip package), and processor limitations are almost always independent of your display resolution or visual quality settings.

On the other hand, though, Blizzard has always been especially good about making sure their games can run on a wide variety of systems. If you've already got that Dell, you might want to just pick up a budget video card for it, and see where that gets you. If the performance turns out to be unacceptable, you can either pick up a more modern refurb Dell for around $400 and toss the video card in there, or turn around and sell the whole Pentium D system and video card for a good chunk of what you put into it on Craigslist. That system's more than modern enough to handle basic web browsing and office tasks, and there are plenty of people who need a computer but can't afford to pay for even a basic new one. $100-150 probably wouldn't be too far out of line.

An ATI 5670 like this one is generally your best bet for upgrading OEM systems like Dells that don't have a spare PCI Express power connector hanging around. If you're running a fairly low-resolution monitor (say, 1680x1050 or below), 512 megs should be enough to get by on a budget system. It's no screaming performance monster, but it should be more than enough to get you through the games you've listed at modest resolutions. Paired with a more modern system using an Athlon II X3 or X4, it's enough for a solid budget-gaming system. As it is, your processor will probably be holding you back, but you should get good video performance out of it at the very least. I wouldn't advise going much cheaper on the video card, though, unless you can find something in the used market. At sub-$100 price points, performance drops off steeply with each drop in price, and most of the stuff below the 5670 is better used to decode video, add extra displays, and do other stuff that doesn't involve 3D work.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Space Gopher posted:

First off, you're probably going to have better luck in the system building/parts picking/upgrading megathread, which is stickied. The OP is more oriented towards people building or buying new systems, although you might want to flip through it anyway.

thanks - I will crosspost it there!

quote:

If you've already got that Dell, you might want to just pick up a budget video card for it, and see where that gets you.

That was my plan - $40 was so cheap, I figured I'd just give it a shot. This exact model sells for more than $40 on craigslist so it seems low-risk.

quote:

An ATI 5670 like this one is generally your best bet for upgrading OEM systems like Dells that don't have a spare PCI Express power connector hanging around.

Does mine not? I'm primarily a Mac user, and while I've taken apart old broken PCs just for the hell of it, I've never actually learned what a lot of the pieces are. Is there any way that I can tell, or is it written in the specs?

quote:

If you're running a fairly low-resolution monitor (say, 1680x1050 or below),

That's me!

quote:

. I wouldn't advise going much cheaper on the video card, though, unless you can find something in the used market.

I have decent access to a used market (I work at an engineering university, and there's an internal "parts" Craigslist type thing). If I were to ask them, what should I be asking for exactly?

Thank you for your help!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Petey posted:

Does mine not? I'm primarily a Mac user, and while I've taken apart old broken PCs just for the hell of it, I've never actually learned what a lot of the pieces are. Is there any way that I can tell, or is it written in the specs?

Look at the power supply cables. The PCIE power ones look like the large 24 pin one that plugs into the motherboard, except with only 4 or 6 pins.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fishmech posted:

You can, yes, it's just a matter of releasing some clips and pulling carefully. The thing is all you're likely to be able to upgrade to without replacing the motherboard entirely is another Pentium 4.

The best you can hope for is a 3.2 ghz Pentium 4 with hyperthreading which will still be pretty slow.

I have to wonder, though, if he has a newer P4 in it (Prescott onwards), the socket would physically be able to take a C2D. I know I've used Prescott CPUs in a motherboard designed for C2Ds, but would it work the other way around?

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
You generally can't use most Core 2s in P4 775 motherboards - the VRMs on older boards don't work with Core 2s.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Would it break anything to try it, or will it just refuse to boot?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

KillHour posted:

Would it break anything to try it, or will it just refuse to boot?

It'd be a colossall waste of money if it doesn't work. Nothing would fry though.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
I don't think it'll hurt, but pretty much every P4 and later board has a page on the parent brand's website detailing specifically which CPUs it will support.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fishmech posted:

It'd be a colossall waste of money if it doesn't work. Nothing would fry though.

Ok, might be a good way to kill an afternoon seeing as I have a couple of those boards lying around, but only spare C2Ds.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

KillHour posted:

I have to wonder, though, if he has a newer P4 in it (Prescott onwards), the socket would physically be able to take a C2D. I know I've used Prescott CPUs in a motherboard designed for C2Ds, but would it work the other way around?

Physically, sure, if it's LGA775.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean much. You'd need a chipset that could handle dual-core CPUs and the C2D's FSB speeds, and a BIOS which knows how to set parameters for a C2D. Very, very few Pentium 4 systems came with this. The best realistic hope for a dual-core CPU would be a Pentium D, but even that's a bit of a long shot. Plus, they weren't ever really good performers, and you might very well run into power issues - they were just two P4 cores on a single package, and ran hotter than hell.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
I got a question. Is there any way to force open the lock on the CCC Overdrive settings? This sounds crazy, but the tiny lock in the CCC that locks your settings won't unlock. I can change everything just fine, but when I hit apply, my changes don't take effect. All I want to do is up my fan speed so I don't melt my graphics card.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Shinx posted:

I got a question. Is there any way to force open the lock on the CCC Overdrive settings? This sounds crazy, but the tiny lock in the CCC that locks your settings won't unlock. I can change everything just fine, but when I hit apply, my changes don't take effect. All I want to do is up my fan speed so I don't melt my graphics card.

Trying executing it from terminal as root. CCC has always been a bitch on linux.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

enotnert posted:

Trying executing it from terminal as root. CCC has always been a bitch on linux.

I'm actually using Windows, but going to my Linux install, your suggestion still helped me out with that issue.

Korean Boomhauer fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jul 22, 2010

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Shinx posted:

I'm actually using Windows, but going to my Linux install, your suggestion still helped me out with that issue.

Well, have you tried same general thing in windows (assuming you're running vista/7) by right clicking and executing direct with runas-administrator?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I asked this before, didn't really get a clear answer:

Going to pull the trigger sometime today on a new 2tb "green" hard drive. I was looking at the WD 2TB Green. Should I go ahead and drop on that, or should I look for a Spinpoint f2 (Their 'green' version I think)?

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Gothmog1065 posted:

Going to pull the trigger sometime today on a new 2tb "green" hard drive. I was looking at the WD 2TB Green. Should I go ahead and drop on that, or should I look for a Spinpoint f2 (Their 'green' version I think)?

I've been impressed with my WD greens, aside from the fact that when I bought 3 of them, all came from a bad batch. WD was good at getting me working drives quickly though.

I've had them running constantly for a month or so, they don't heat up, and read/writes have been great on them for what I'm using them for.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gothmog1065 posted:

I thought everyone was saying to stay away from those? What's the projected cost savings, energy-wise, going from a regular drive to a 'green' one?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I don't know if this is a hardware question, but it's a short question that doesn't deserve its own thread:

If I have two discs organised as JBOD on a NAS device, and I fill them up with stuff, if I take one of the discs out and stick it in a PC will I be able to read the contents? Or will it be unreadable?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I thought everyone was saying to stay away from those? What's the projected cost savings, energy-wise, going from a regular drive to a 'green' one?

The energy savings aren't spectacular; hard drives don't draw all that much power in the first place, and smart power settings will save a lot more than running a "green" drive 24/7. In dollar terms, I wouldn't expect more than a few dollars saved in energy costs over the life of the system.

However, the drives are cheaper to start with, and they're just fine for secondary storage. As an OS drive, they're not great, because 5400rpm translates to poor random-access performance. As a media drive, they use nice dense platters which keep sequential speeds pretty high, and they're cheaper per gigabyte. They run a little bit cooler and quieter, too. Whether it's a good idea to stay away depends on how you're using the drive. If you just want more space for your crap, and aren't going to run applications off the drive, a Caviar Green (or one of its similar low-power competitors) is a good choice.

Anjow posted:

I don't know if this is a hardware question, but it's a short question that doesn't deserve its own thread:

If I have two discs organised as JBOD on a NAS device, and I fill them up with stuff, if I take one of the discs out and stick it in a PC will I be able to read the contents? Or will it be unreadable?
It'll be unreadable.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Space Gopher posted:

If you just want more space for your crap, and aren't going to run applications off the drive, a Caviar Green (or one of its similar low-power competitors) is a good choice.
It'll be purely a storage drive (Streaming some videos off it, etc), no applications will be run from it (Going to upgrade to a 500gb Spinpoint F3 for that). I don't give a gently caress about energy savings (I'm not going to be saving much as my computer gets turned off when I sleep and is put to sleep when I go to work).

I'll probably go with this one as there is a $40 off code running for it right now.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

enotnert posted:

Well, have you tried same general thing in windows (assuming you're running vista/7) by right clicking and executing direct with runas-administrator?

Yeah I've tried that too.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
Are there any routers that will accept third party firmware, such as Tomato/DD-WRT, that also support N frequencies?

I love my 54GL, but I'd also like to use my new laptop's .11N if possible.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

voltron posted:

Are there any routers that will accept third party firmware, such as Tomato/DD-WRT, that also support N frequencies?

I love my 54GL, but I'd also like to use my new laptop's .11N if possible.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Just do a Ctrl+F for g/n

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

Steve Moore posted:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Just do a Ctrl+F for g/n

Oh my, I certainly have been out of touch with the router firmware progress. Thanks!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Space Gopher posted:

They run a little bit cooler and quieter, too.

I didn't notice much of a noise difference, but in my home fileserver I saw drive temperatures decrease about 10-15* C by switching from 7200RPM WD 500GB (would've been Caviar Blues under the current naming convention) to 5400RPM Samsung 1.5TB drives. Random access is a bit slower but steady-state throughput actually improved, and there were more spindles in the array with 500GB drives.

Alsander
Jan 20, 2004

I'm gay for banana's.
My dream PC that I just built has turned into a nightmare. Every game I have tried playing so far crashes after about 10-20 minutes at the most: Mass Effect 2, Crysis, Team Fortress 2, and Alien Swarm are the games I have tried so far. I have updated all the games to the most recent version and still experience the same issue.

Usually when the crashes occur the graphics lock up, sound clips repeat, and after about 10 seconds the screen goes black and normally I will end back up at the desktop with Windows saying that the program has stopped working. Occasionally the system will never recover and I just have to hard reset.

So far I have not experienced any issues outside of gaming. Im able to watch movies and videos, surf the net, and run design programs without any problems.

Im unsure how to test which parts could be causing the issue though. I remember reading in the System Building megathread that the Gigabyte P55 boards are sometimes picky about RAM and that there have been reports that the Radeon HD 5850 sometimes has issues with these boards as well.

I ran Memtest86+ and it made two full passes without errors so I assume it isnt the RAM. I dont believe the issue is related to overheating because I can feel the fans on the computer and they are all blowing out pretty cool air.

But now I dont know how else to test. How do I know if the problem is being caused by the CPU, or the 64-bit OS, or the PSU, or the motherboard? Can anyone here recommend some troubleshooting tools that I can use to try to figure out which component might be causing these problems? Is my only option trying to order different parts from Newegg and seeing if they work?

Here are the full specs:

Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55
OCZ Reaper Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
XFX HD-585X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB
XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W ATX
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Alsander fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 22, 2010

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I thought there was a reliability issue. I gotta start paying more attention to what I read.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If it only crashes in games, and it sounds like nothing else you're doing is GPU intensive...video card?

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Could anyone help confirm something I heard from another person? This guy told me that 3.5 external hard drives aren't built for travel and are easily damaged when in something such as a vehicle. I'm wondering because I'm going on a long road trip and need a lot of storage for videos and photos I'll be shooting.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Cubemario posted:

Could anyone help confirm something I heard from another person? This guy told me that 3.5 external hard drives aren't built for travel and are easily damaged when in something such as a vehicle. I'm wondering because I'm going on a long road trip and need a lot of storage for videos and photos I'll be shooting.

Buy something quality, and don't chunk it around and you'll be fine.

Also do yourself a favor and don't have it running while on the actual road.

Kalimar
Mar 20, 2006

I have an Antec P183 and I can't figure out how to remove the grill for the optical drive bay. I've searched YouTube and Google and the manual has been unhelpful. Would anyone who has this case mind telling me how I get that grill out? It's the one behind the dust filter.

Thanks

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

enotnert posted:

Buy something quality, and don't chunk it around and you'll be fine.

Also do yourself a favor and don't have it running while on the actual road.

That sounds good, I have three of these, and they have good enclosures. Let's say for example if I stored these drives in a trailer (which apparently these suckers shake a lot when on the road) and I secured them in a cupboard or cabinet, would they be fine?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cubemario posted:

That sounds good, I have three of these, and they have good enclosures. Let's say for example if I stored these drives in a trailer (which apparently these suckers shake a lot when on the road) and I secured them in a cupboard or cabinet, would they be fine?
Absolutely. 3.5" drives are designed to withstand like 100Gs of shock when off.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Great! That solves the storage issue, thanks!

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Cubemario posted:

I personally wouldn't, but you know. . . whatever floats your boat. I'd put them in something squishy and keep them in the main vehicle. Better safe than sorry.

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.
wrong thread

chesh fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I'm looking at upgrading from 2gb to 4gb RAM soon, in advance of my getting a decent resolution monitor (currently using a 1280x1024 crt) and a new graphics card to power it. I could really use some advice!
Currently using 2 1gb DIMMs of Corsair DDR 2 800mhz (twin2X2048-6400C4), on a Striker Extreme motherboard. I've read a lot about the troubles this board has with handling 4 1gb DIMMs at 800mhz and low timings (4-4-4-12 as I'm using now). Anyone reckon it'd be worth shelling out an extra £40 for a nice shiny pair of DHX 2gb Corsair modules (http://www.corsair.com/products/xms2dhx/default.aspx)? Or should I just go for the extra pair of 1gb ones and try my luck?
Bit of an un-answerable question I guess but any words of wisdom would be appreciated...

• Locked thread