Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Those are pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Finished my pullover!

(Sorry for the crappy mirror picture, no one was around to photo me).

I'm really happy with the way this came out, and it totally sold me on top down designs. The only seaming was for the gaps under the arms, and tacking the cowl down in the back. Also, super easy to adjust the patten for a custom fit! The alpaca was a bit warm to work with and wear for the season, but it's gonna be a sample in my store for 6 months anyways. Soooo soft.

I think I'm going to take a little break from garments though, and concentrate on my Ishbel, some socks, and maybe a few toys.

(Scooty, if you haven't been to Urban Yarns in a while, we just got more Sweet Georgia in! I'm not sure if it's made its way to North Van, but we got her new merino and cashmere sock yarn and the colors are absolutely droolworthy.)

Thank you so much!
VV

Drei fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 21, 2010

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
That's loving gorgeous.

Firequirks
Apr 15, 2007

Drei posted:

(Scooty, if you haven't been to Urban Yarns in a while, we just got more Sweet Georgia in! I'm not sure if it's made its way to North Van, but we got her new merino and cashmere sock yarn and the colors are absolutely droolworthy.)
Nice pullover. Looks good! Also if you have Sweet Georgia Yarns in your store I am never going because oh god they are dyed like jewels and flowers and :swoon: I need to work through my stash before I consider purchases. :(

I've been thinking about joining a knitting group, get out of the house regularly and whatnot, but I'm worried about...well, how do I put it. I don't want to spend my evening talking with crazies. :v: For those of you who have attended knitting groups, do you have any stories? Good, bad, awkward, whatever. I don't think I'm wording this right, but I guess I'm wondering about the ratio of normal conversation people to cat ladies.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

All the knitting groups around here are old ladies. I don't have anything against that, but I'd really like to meet someone in my own age group.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Look Under The Rock posted:

All the knitting groups around here are old ladies. I don't have anything against that, but I'd really like to meet someone in my own age group.

Same here. :smith: There's only two groups in 'reasonable' distance from me (less than an hour) and both of them are filled with grannies. One group pretty much refused to talk to me because I wasn't one of them.

Hell, I seem to have a "thing" about pissing old women off. Is it me? :smith:

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
I really want to join the West Coast Spinners and Weavers guild, but their meetings are on weekday evenings at a mall that, while still being in the metro vancouver area, is still a good hour-plus trip for me. :(

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Obviously I'm biased because I work there, but I really enjoy the SnB we have at my store Friday nights. It's not huge right now in the summer, but in a way that's nicer to have the 3-4 regulars in and the occasional drop in. The demographic is pretty narrow at the moment - all women in their 20's, but we have a nice range of conversation from knitting to movies to our personal lives. Last Friday the new-ish girl who was always pretty quiet finally piped up to ask what this Ravelry we were all talking was. The ladies all looked at her for a moment and then one of them said "We...are about to change your life." :3: Knitters!

Unfortunately, I believe that the SnBs at the North Van location were canceled indefinitely, due in part to a crazy lady who was obsessed with the employee's special brand of tea, and a girl who worked in sex toy store and was way to graphic in relating her sex life.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Holy moly. Well, that's too bad. I'm moving in Sept. so if I move into the kits/dunbar area I might check out the knitnight there. (I too am a lady in my 20's.)

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

This is pretty similar. There are a few people who are closer to their late 20s than that, but I'm the youngest member not counting the granddaughters of two of the members. They're pretty nice though, and try to include me in conversation and the like. I really enjoy it for the social aspect, and being able to talk knitting with other people.

(I do wish I wasn't the only spinner there though. :( )

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

I totally want to learn to spin but don't need yet another expensive hobby unless I can turn it into income.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Yay! Spinning talk! I've been spinning like crazy lately!: http://algernonrex.etsy.com

(also posted in the etsy thread. I am clearly too excited.)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
In my experience with knitting groups, there are generally some chill people, some sperglord cat ladies (all ages!), and some crazies (tending younger). I would go a couple times, meet people, and then just try to make outside plans with the chill, fun ones. Don't be scared of going in the first place -- it's not a huge time investment and nothing bad could happen.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Don't forget the "oh God I'm going to explode and need a baby blanket NOW" crazy pregnant women! :eng101:

There's one in my crochet class and she's certainly something, to say the least.

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Yay! Spinning talk! I've been spinning like crazy lately!: http://algernonrex.etsy.com
How are you managing to get your worsted so gorgeous and even? Im using a lace weight spindle and managing to get DK with slubs galore (also because im using two pet brushes in the place of carders) but its just so perfect :love:

As far as knitting circles go i'm tempted to go to one if I can find one locally but i'd rather go sit with little old ladies because although I may only be 21 I probably have more in common with them :( *goes back to stroking her cats and cackling*

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Spiteful posted:

How are you managing to get your worsted so gorgeous and even? Im using a lace weight spindle and managing to get DK with slubs galore (also because im using two pet brushes in the place of carders) but its just so perfect :love:

As far as knitting circles go i'm tempted to go to one if I can find one locally but i'd rather go sit with little old ladies because although I may only be 21 I probably have more in common with them :( *goes back to stroking her cats and cackling*

I have a lot of trouble finding a decent knitting circle too. I don't mind knitting with little old ladies, but the few I've tried I get a lot of funny looks and treated like I was an alien, being of both the wrong age and gender. One of them the people were really rude too--I got asked point-blank by one of the ladies there if I was gay. What, are straight guys not allowed to knit now? <:mad:>

It may just be because the yarn stores around me are in more upscale neighborhoods where the people there are just kind of snooty.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 22, 2010

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I have NO idea why some people consider knitting to be 'gay' if a guy does it. What is that? I mean, I know it's (wrongly) considered to be traditionally 'women's work' or some bullshit, but drat. You'd think by 2010 most people would have at least figured out that 'gay' doesn't mean 'wants to be a lady and do lady type things'.

I do not have a knitting group either, but it's not cause there aren't any around me...it's cause I'm antisocial. :)

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Firequirks posted:

I've been thinking about joining a knitting group, get out of the house regularly and whatnot, but I'm worried about...well, how do I put it. I don't want to spend my evening talking with crazies. :v: For those of you who have attended knitting groups, do you have any stories? Good, bad, awkward, whatever. I don't think I'm wording this right, but I guess I'm wondering about the ratio of normal conversation people to cat ladies.

I never actively sought out a knitting group, but when I was on Jury Duty they had a charity knitting table in the jurors' waiting room. When I got into the room, there was a very unapproachable looking old woman clacking away but five minutes after I sat down a bunch of ladies asked for a refresher course, so I guess I looked friendly. It was mainly women in their 30s but all races which surprised me a little bit because I've never had an Indian friend who knitted, they were more into sewing.

Genpei Turtle, if anyone makes you feel bad about being a straight male knitter, there are various ways to counter it. Point out that knitting was traditionally done in all-male guilds or get all sexist and express your surprise at women being able to cope with something with so much maths in.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Nothing wrong with guys knitting. I've taught plenty of guys how to knit in my time. Even if they were a tad unsure I pointed out that girls love handmade presents sprung on them whenever they finish their projects. :3:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Spiteful posted:

They really are pretty.

I'd probably suggest practice drafting. And practice. My yarn didn't start getting even on my spindles till about a year later. And ply. It might be a pain in the butt, but plying really helps even out your yarns like you wouldn't believe.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004

madlilnerd posted:

Genpei Turtle, if anyone makes you feel bad about being a straight male knitter, there are various ways to counter it. Point out that knitting was traditionally done in all-male guilds or get all sexist and express your surprise at women being able to cope with something with so much maths in.

And don't forget, in WWII, Allied soldiers would knit themselves new socks, while in the trenches. :)

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Peruvian men all know how to knit! I think it's like basically required to get married.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

madlilnerd posted:

That's actually been my strategy if girls rag on me for being a knitter. That actually rarely happens, it's usually other guys. For them I just tell anecdotes about how appreciative girlfriends have been of knitted gifts. (exactly which anecdotes get told depend on the testosterone level of the person doing the ragging)

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

And don't forget, in WWII, Allied soldiers would knit themselves new socks, while in the trenches. :)

Trench warfare was WW1 :ssh: Just change your stories to Jews being forced to knit for the Nazis or Aryan knitting patterns or something. They did used to teach injured allied pilots needlecraft, IIRC, and I know that crochet was taught in Alcatraz, so fibre craft is totally manly.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Not too mention the lack of competition for dates within a knitting circle! Not that I'd like to date a knitter...it would ruin all the mystique of knitted gifts. Plus I'm sure we'd fight over the last skein of sock yarn.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Drei posted:

Not too mention the lack of competition for dates within a knitting circle! Not that I'd like to date a knitter...it would ruin all the mystique of knitted gifts. Plus I'm sure we'd fight over the last skein of sock yarn.

Pssh, I'd just have a separate stash. :colbert:

Also I am about 25 rows into my first shawl and I am kind of scared. It's a small one but I really have to hope I'm doing everything right (it LOOKS right so far) because it's a present for my boyfriend's mother when she comes in to town (we've been dating for a year and a half or so and I've never met her because she lives in New York). :gonk:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/doublish

It's that in Malabrigo Sock color 809, Solis.

http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/knitting/yarn/Malabrigo/Sock.asp?showLarge=true&specPCVID=17823

I hope I don't gently caress this up. :ohdear:

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004

madlilnerd posted:

Trench warfare was WW1 :ssh: Just change your stories to Jews being forced to knit for the Nazis or Aryan knitting patterns or something. They did used to teach injured allied pilots needlecraft, IIRC, and I know that crochet was taught in Alcatraz, so fibre craft is totally manly.

It was a typo. Yeah, that's what it was, a typo! :tinfoil: (The majority of my knowledge of human history is from over 40,000 years ago...)

Zombie Pirate
Jan 3, 2009

Kitty, you wouldn't happen to have any super powers, would you?
In regards to guys knitting being 'gay': You know who else used to knit? Vikings. Yes, motherfuckin' Vikings. :black101: Nobody should mess with guys who knit- they could be vikings in disguise!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Seriously, gently caress socks.

I started knitting the globetrotter socks in Berocco Sox and they were too small, so I frogged them, and bought a skein of madeline tosh sock.

So, I'm making Jaywalkers and I've had to start over 3 times goddamnit. Finally they're coming out OK but they're a tad too large. I have NO clue if I should frog them and start over a bit smaller or just deal with it. How do you keep them from falling down? they're never going to stay nice and tight, are they :(

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

Shnooks posted:

Seriously, gently caress socks.

So, I'm making Jaywalkers and I've had to start over 3 times goddamnit. Finally they're coming out OK but they're a tad too large. I have NO clue if I should frog them and start over a bit smaller or just deal with it. How do you keep them from falling down? they're never going to stay nice and tight, are they :(

Probably not so much. Jaywalkers do not have a whole lot of give, so from what I've experienced with them, they can either stay up and barely get past my heel (if they do at all...), or slouch and go on nicely. Maybe make sure to use a nice, stretchy yarn for it? Hmm, giving me ideas for my sock yarn that's got elastic in it....

Captain Stinkybutt, that looks like some gorgeous yarn, I'm sure the shawl is coming out just fine! It doesn't look complicated, but still something that non-knitters will think is smashing! :) I did La La's Simple Shawl as like my 3rd project and it's really super easy, but everyone is soooo impressed with it! My mom gets comments on it whenever she wears it. :)

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Phishi posted:

Captain Stinkybutt, that looks like some gorgeous yarn, I'm sure the shawl is coming out just fine! It doesn't look complicated, but still something that non-knitters will think is smashing! :) I did La La's Simple Shawl as like my 3rd project and it's really super easy, but everyone is soooo impressed with it! My mom gets comments on it whenever she wears it. :)

It's not really overly complicated now that I've gotten into it but I'm definitely not used to dealing with 300 stitches to CO. Also I haven't dealt with ssk at all (but it's fine and I'm pretty sure I'm doing that right, at least it looks right) and I get fretful about a row full of YOs but I like to think it's going rather well. Maybe I'll take a picture later. I'm only about 28 rows into it but it'll only get faster as it goes since it's worked from the outside into the middle-top. Thanks for that pattern link, though, it looks pretty awesome!

Also I have no input on sock knitting but I want to do it so bad once I finish this and my exchange present knitty things because I want more Malabrigo sock because poo poo this stuff feels AWESOME.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I just undid six inches of a new scarf because I didn't like how the colors were pooling. Do I have problems? :ohdear:

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Wandering Knitter posted:

I just undid six inches of a new scarf because I didn't like how the colors were pooling. Do I have problems? :ohdear:

I'm about to do the same thing, so nope. It's definitely not us.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

How do you change how the colors will pool? I knit a pair of socks for my sister with some awesome variegated yarn, and while the first sock knit with one color making a spiral, it made a blob on the other sock. Is there a way to alter how they'll stack up?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

How do you change how the colors will pool? I knit a pair of socks for my sister with some awesome variegated yarn, and while the first sock knit with one color making a spiral, it made a blob on the other sock. Is there a way to alter how they'll stack up?

I spent an hour casting on at different parts of the color pattern on the yarn and then knitting a few rows until the pooling wasn't so bad.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004

Seperate the yarn into two balls, and then alternate a row from each ball. At least, that's the answer a lot of books give, as far as i know.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
You can also do some fascinating things with knitting tighter and looser. I actually saw a swatch where this lady managed to "drive" one particular color where she wanted it to go by varying tension.

Someday I want to make one of the 'controlled pooling' scarves - like this: http://yarnfloozies.blogspot.com/2009/07/fairy-leaves-pooling-stole-pattern.html

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

It was mentioned, but the pooling scarf thing has really been perfected by this lady. She's got a few pooling stoles available and she talks about how she does it as well. The other thing worth mentioning is that on Ravelry is a group called Pooled Knits that's devoted to. There's also the Wenat's Pooling Stoles on the Yarn board (usually near the top) with tons of other info. And there's the Examples of Pooling thread that likely has more info about the subject of just plain pooling and tons of examples.

If I could be bothered to do crazy tension, I'd give it a shot. But I can't. So yeah.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Even changing needle size or the stitch count by a bit will make a different in how the colors stack. There's a book, Knitting Socks With Handpainted Yarn which goes into pretty elaborate detail about pooling and how to alter it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

What's easier to knit socks with, DPNs or circulars? I tried out some DPNs but they kept slipping out or getting in the way or suddenly I'd end up with two needles working. :confused: If I use circulars, I'll still need some DPNs to do the heel, right?