Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I Ctrl+f'd all over this thread and saw no mention of Not Quite Hollywood. its a brilliant film about ozsploitation. I'll just let Netflix explain.

"Explore the unofficial history of Australian cult film with this provocative documentary on the "Ozploitation" flicks of the 1970s and '80s. Filmmaker Mark Hartley explores the violence, sex and nudity rampant during this period of lax restrictions. Jam-packed with film clips, poster art and international advertisements, the film also features anecdotes from numerous celebrities about this dynamic period in Australian cinema."

Its awesome even if you're not Australian, and it has a good bit about the late Dennis Hopper being a zany coke fiend.

Netflix IW link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Untrustable posted:

I Ctrl+f'd all over this thread and saw no mention of Not Quite Hollywood. its a brilliant film about ozsploitation. I'll just let Netflix explain.

"Explore the unofficial history of Australian cult film with this provocative documentary on the "Ozploitation" flicks of the 1970s and '80s. Filmmaker Mark Hartley explores the violence, sex and nudity rampant during this period of lax restrictions. Jam-packed with film clips, poster art and international advertisements, the film also features anecdotes from numerous celebrities about this dynamic period in Australian cinema."

Its awesome even if you're not Australian, and it has a good bit about the late Dennis Hopper being a zany coke fiend.

Netflix IW link

Adding this to my queue. Always have passed over it, but it's nice to get a Goon Rec.

McBeth
Jul 11, 2006
Odeipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.

Untrustable posted:

Not Quite Hollywood

I got it from netflix a few months ago and it's really good, there's interviews with some pretty famous directors who were influenced by the 80s movies.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Forge_Pharaoh posted:

Railing Kill - If you have a further interest in the subject of orthodox Islam's inherent conflict with Western values I'd strongly recommend Ayaan Hirsi Ali's autobiography, Infidel, Serge Trifkovic's The Sword of the Prophet and Bruce Bawer's While Europe Slept (these are all books, by the way, not documentaries.) In that order, if possible

It's of course an incredibly politically incorrect thing to talk about and many people seem to think it's an inherently racist or right-wing stance to take, but I personally found the information on Islam in these books really eye-opening.

Thanks for the reccommendations. I just finished Reza Aslan's How to Win a Cosmic War, and I very much reccommend it.

Luckily, there are a lot of documentaries being made about this topic, although it's hard to find truly unbiased ones inside the 'States. It's a complex issue that is far beyond the simple black-and-white of mainstream media narratives, so I'm always looking for well-made documentaries on the subject, whether I end up agreeing with them or not. On the other hand, the subject is riddled with racist nonsense on both sides and conspiracy theorism that muddles the whole issue. I give most of them a shot, and sometimes I end up watching junk, but I more often end up learning something.

Darkon, on the other hand, is great. It was a welcome change of pace and was surprisingly interesting.

I just started reading Alan Weisman's The World Without Us, which is about what would happen in the environment in the sudden and complete absence of human beings. It's basically an in-depth study and speculation in geological, ecological, and climatological sciences and our effects on each of them, in hypothetical hindsight. I was thinking it would make an interesting documentary, and then I remembered something similar (maybe on the History or Discovery Channel?) a few years back. I never saw it, but I remember the ads seeming similar in premise to this book. Does anyone remember this (and does anyone have a link, or at least a name)?

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly

Forge_Pharaoh posted:

Railing Kill - If you have a further interest in the subject of orthodox Islam's inherent conflict with Western values I'd strongly recommend Ayaan Hirsi Ali's autobiography, Infidel, Serge Trifkovic's The Sword of the Prophet and Bruce Bawer's While Europe Slept (these are all books, by the way, not documentaries.) In that order, if possible

It's of course an incredibly politically incorrect thing to talk about and many people seem to think it's an inherently racist or right-wing stance to take, but I personally found the information on Islam in these books really eye-opening.

Would this be a good watch for someone new to the subject? I've been putting off learning about what the Koran actually says for a long time now and would like to finally start.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Railing Kill posted:

I just started reading Alan Weisman's The World Without Us, which is about what would happen in the environment in the sudden and complete absence of human beings. It's basically an in-depth study and speculation in geological, ecological, and climatological sciences and our effects on each of them, in hypothetical hindsight. I was thinking it would make an interesting documentary, and then I remembered something similar (maybe on the History or Discovery Channel?) a few years back. I never saw it, but I remember the ads seeming similar in premise to this book. Does anyone remember this (and does anyone have a link, or at least a name)?

It's called Life After People, and is a series on the History Channel. If you live in the US, the first series is available on Hulu.

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007
I searched over the thread and didn't see anyone mention Planet BBoy yet. It focuses primarily on the current state of BBoying/breakdancing, and they also make a point to talk to a couple of the old-schoolers to get perspective on the changes going on in that facet of the hip hop community.

quote:

Planet B-Boy is a 2007 documentary film that focuses on the 2005 Battle of the Year while also describing B-boy (commonly known as Breakdancing, although this term is disputed by some) culture and history as a global phenomenon. This documentary was directed by Canadian-American Korean filmmaker Benson Lee, shot by Portuguese-American filmmaker Vasco Nunes, and released in theaters in the United States on March 21, 2008. It was released on dvd on November 11, 2008.

Planet B-Boy features extensive footage of the dancers in competition as well as street performances and various rehearsals by the different crews from around the world. The narrative of the film centers on five particular crews (representing France, Japan, South Korea, and the United States) in their quest to win the Battle of the Year, and it includes multiple interviews with the B-Boys and their families. The film also includes interviews with German B-Boy and promoter Thomas Hergenröther (who founded the Battle of the Year competition) and legendary B-Boy Ken Swift of the Rock Steady Crew.

This film has been shown at numerous festivals around the world[1] after originally making its debut on April 26, 2007 at the Tribeca Film Festival[2]. Planet B-Boy has received many strong reviews[3][4][5] and currently has a 91% rating at Rotten Tomatoes - with the consensus that "Lee's dazzling documentary makes a compelling argument for breakdancing as an art form"[6]. In March 2008 it was revealed that director Benson Lee was working on a feature adaptation of Planet B-Boy[7].

You can watch it on Veoh. Do it.

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/entertainment/watch/v6584120E44CEjww

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit

electricsugar posted:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0874423/

Its called Zoo. Its about a man in love with a horse.

So I went with this. That is a hosed up film. Good, but seriously disturbing.

Anyway, I'm a fan of Who Killed the Electric Car?. It's a good film about the influence of the auto and gas industry on creating a more fuel efficient car.

Forge_Pharaoh
Jul 4, 2010

Space Cob posted:

Would this be a good watch for someone new to the subject? I've been putting off learning about what the Koran actually says for a long time now and would like to finally start.

The documentary isn't any in-depth kind of study of Islam; it's more focusing on the kind of racist, sexist, and violent messages even "moderate" imams are preaching in the West, although obviously the topics are linked.
If you want to learn what the Koran says, I'd suggest just checking one out from the library and leafing through it. BUT I have found that 9 out of every 10 books on the subject of Islam available to Westerners are very biased in their prejudice to present it as an enlightened, peaceful, accepting, loving religion equatable to Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc. I would personally recommend the three books I cited earlier to understand not only the history but the theological context of Islam (Ayaan Hirsi Ali's autobiography; Infidel, Serge Trifkovic's The Sword of the Prophet, and Bruce Bawer's While Europe Slept.) If you're scared because the titles may sound right-wing, then consider; Bruce Bawer is a gay liberal journalist living in Europe with his partner and Ayaan Hirsi Ali is a liberal who is pro-choice, pro gay marriage, and very pro-women's rights. Serge Trifkovic I admittedly know almost nothing about, though.
So none of these ideas are coming from a "rah rah go America bomb the A-rabs" point of view.

BUT, if people liked Undercover Mosque and would like to continue in their cretinous illiteracy; here's another doc called Unholy War from the British program Dispatches about the social consequences for Muslims in Britain who convert to Christianity.

"Those who blasphemed and back away from the ways of Allah and die as blasphemers, Allah shall not forgive them.
—Qur'an, [Qur'an 4:48]"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nUuGoykIag&feature=PlayList&p=D6B61CC8A1414D0D&playnext_from=PL&index=13

**EDIT: Oh, also! Apparently there's a sequel to Undercover Mosque. Undercover Mosque: The Return:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc7PqjD_S3s

Forge_Pharaoh fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 15, 2010

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly

Forge_Pharaoh posted:

A whole lot of words, all helpful.

Turns out my library has copies of the Koran and all three of those books. Awesome.

I'll probably end up checking out Ralling Kill too. Thanks for the suggestions.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

IsaacNewton posted:

I suggest people don't watch MeltUp: The Beginning Of A US Currency Crisis And Hyperinflation, I just did and I'm scared shitless for the economy, and of a new deep depression.

Truly, the most republican piece of poo poo I've seen in a while.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Space Cob posted:

If you're interested in the history and origins of Islam, I thoroughly recommend PBS's excellent Islam - Empire of Faith, narrated by Sir Ben Kingsley. It's available (in three parts) on Google Video.

fatboysweat
Jan 17, 2009
Bangin in Little Rock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXJOvihczms

Documentary from HBO's America Undercover series. Originally aired in 1994. Produced by Blowback Productions.

Bangin in Little Rock is a look into the gang scene of Little Rock Arkansas during the early 90s. Told from the perspective of the actual gang members themselves, and a county coroner, It bashes the stereotype that only big cities have gang problems.

o3o
Nov 29, 2002

1890 - 1918
I was wondering if someone could recommend any documentaries about living off the grid. I've seen Life on the Mesa but I can't seem to find any other documentaries about this sort of thing.

Anything about sustainable living, Earthships and stuff like that would interest me too.

I don't have Netflix or anything like that though (I'm in Brazil) so I need stuff on Google Video/Youtube. :(

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Anybody have any documentaries about sculptors?

o3o
Nov 29, 2002

1890 - 1918

ceebee posted:

Anybody have any documentaries about sculptors?

Here's one about Bernini: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXR2YZxgDV4

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Does anyone have any idea where I can watch documentaries on Scientology, I've seen one which was created by Panorama but I'd like to see more if anyone has any links? Professional or not, I don't mind!

Forge_Pharaoh
Jul 4, 2010
Scientology: Inside the Cult

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/scientology-inside-cult/

peace ottering
Jan 3, 2004
BigD in the house
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/travel_and_culture/watch/v20259129X9zRjypc

quote:

Streetwise portrays the lives of nine desperate teenagers. Thrown too young into a seedy grown up world, these runaways and castaways survive, but just barely. Rat, the dumpster diver, Tiny, the teenage prostitute, Shellie, the baby-faced blonde, DeWayne, the hustler, all old beyond their years. All underage survivors fighting for life and love on the streets of downtown Seattle, Washington.

I know this has been posted in this thread before, but this is a version not on youtube and in 7 annoying parts. much better quality too

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
I know this was mentioned starting on page 1, but I just saw The Cove and wow. I can't remember the last time I saw a movie that was that, well, moving. I want to put my two cents in that everyone should go out and see it.

jibberjabber
Sep 11, 2001

Jesus Stole My Harddrive*
anyone know of any good "spy gadgets" or "booby trap" documentary's?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Forge_Pharaoh posted:

If you want to learn what the Koran says, I'd suggest just checking one out from the library and leafing through it. BUT I have found that 9 out of every 10 books on the subject of Islam available to Westerners are very biased in their prejudice to present it as an enlightened, peaceful, accepting, loving religion equatable to Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc.

I'd like to see some examples of those other kinds of books as well.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Forge_Pharaoh posted:

The documentary isn't any in-depth kind of study of Islam; it's more focusing on the kind of racist, sexist, and violent messages even "moderate" imams are preaching in the West, although obviously the topics are linked.
If you want to learn what the Koran says, I'd suggest just checking one out from the library and leafing through it. BUT I have found that 9 out of every 10 books on the subject of Islam available to Westerners are very biased in their prejudice to present it as an enlightened, peaceful, accepting, loving religion equatable to Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc. I would personally recommend the three books I cited earlier to understand not only the history but the theological context of Islam (Ayaan Hirsi Ali's autobiography; Infidel, Serge Trifkovic's The Sword of the Prophet, and Bruce Bawer's While Europe Slept.) If you're scared because the titles may sound right-wing, then consider; Bruce Bawer is a gay liberal journalist living in Europe with his partner and Ayaan Hirsi Ali is a liberal who is pro-choice, pro gay marriage, and very pro-women's rights. Serge Trifkovic I admittedly know almost nothing about, though.
So none of these ideas are coming from a "rah rah go America bomb the A-rabs" point of view.

BUT, if people liked Undercover Mosque and would like to continue in their cretinous illiteracy; here's another doc called Unholy War from the British program Dispatches about the social consequences for Muslims in Britain who convert to Christianity.

"Those who blasphemed and back away from the ways of Allah and die as blasphemers, Allah shall not forgive them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nUuGoykIag&feature=PlayList&p=D6B61CC8A1414D0D&playnext_from=PL&index=13

**EDIT: Oh, also! Apparently there's a sequel to Undercover Mosque. Undercover Mosque: The Return:

Please, tell me more about how much Muslims scare you :allears:

Forge_Pharaoh
Jul 4, 2010

Peven Stan posted:

Please, tell me more about how much Muslims scare you :allears:

All I'm saying is, BIRTH CERTIFICATE! WHERE THE gently caress IS IT NO-BAMA!!!!?

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Forge_Pharaoh posted:

Scientology: Inside the Cult

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/scientology-inside-cult/

Thanks for this.

Forge_Pharaoh posted:

First off, if you want to know what the Qur'an says, you should really read it in Arabic. If you read it in English, much like the bible, the meaning the lost.

Also, why quote that quote?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Forge_Pharaoh posted:

I hope and assume this is a troll. Come on.

But this thread is too good for this :can:. Going to watch the gently caress out of that Scientology documentary now, though. :tipshat:

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

fatboysweat posted:

Bangin in Little Rock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXJOvihczms

Documentary from HBO's America Undercover series. Originally aired in 1994. Produced by Blowback Productions.

Bangin in Little Rock is a look into the gang scene of Little Rock Arkansas during the early 90s. Told from the perspective of the actual gang members themselves, and a county coroner, It bashes the stereotype that only big cities have gang problems.

Thanks for this, it was really great. The interviews were well done and the Coroner was pretty amazing for what he was trying to do, very smart and caring man.

I am loving the older gang/inner city culture docs lately especially stuff focused on the 80s and early 90s if anyone has any more recommendations.

Forge_Pharaoh
Jul 4, 2010
Narc - I thought the Koran quote was relevant to the doc about Muslims converting.

Railing Kill - Sorry, got carried away about the topic. I didn't mean to derail the documentary thread, but, to be fair, it is on its 17th page, so I figured thread-fidelity wasn't as important. Won't mention it anymore here.

MephistosBistro
Apr 25, 2010

We're not half as bad
as God is good.

Forge_Pharaoh posted:

Darkon: I really liked this one. It's about LARPers (Live-Action Role-Players in the unlikely case two or three people may not know) and I went into it thinking it would be a kind of voyeuristic piece of comedy based on exposing how weird people who dress up like elves and spend days in a field fighting with foam swords are. But the great thing about this doc is that it actually makes you identify and sympathize with the individuals it follows. You may even think to yourself a few times "well, you know... LARPing doesn't looks that dorky."

http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/darkon/

I am literally jealous of these people. I want to be a darkon knight!!! (DORKON, AMIRIGHT?)

But no, seriously. :3:

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
For whoever was looking for docs on sculptors earlier, you might wanna' check this one out:

Rem Koolhaas: A Kind of Architect

I just caught it last night on IFC here at work; it presents a lot of very interesting (if somewhat vague) ideas about how architecture. I have no connection to the field at all, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Here's a link to a trailer for the film on Youtube. So far, I've been unsuccessful in finding a link to a stream of the entire film, though I'm sure it could probably be found on Netflix et. al.

Forge_Pharaoh
Jul 4, 2010
C2C - Did you see the porno version of that documentary called Remjob Koolhaas?

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.

sh1fty posted:

King Corn - "Everything on your plate is corn."

A documentary looking at the commercial corn industry, and how it's in literally everything we eat. It's also destroying us, and the land its raised on. Awesome doc. 2 guys set out to grow their an acre of corn and see where it goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiCRwMMh9k8

Wow.
I never knew anything about this. Everything i ate today has something to do with corn.
You wouldn't think a doc on this subject would be interesting, but it is.

Orkiec
Dec 28, 2008

My gut, huh?
Are there any good documentaries out there about the Monsanto Corporation?

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

Orkiec posted:

Monsanto basically has a starring role in The Corporation, especially the last third or so of the film. Definitely worth watching the whole thing. I think this is a full stream.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

Orkiec posted:

Food, Inc. mentions them. There's also The World According to Monsanto.

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home

Orkiec posted:

I know without question I watched one about roundup ready soybeans and it's global impact. In fact, I was telling my wife about it the other day, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. I know they did interviews with the town near the plant and discussed what happened to them, the roundup ready soybean incentive program, their control over the market, including the rules involving returning what was not planted, etc, and overall was loving amazing, but again, it's been a few years since I've seen it and I can't remember what it was called to save my life.

All I know for sure is I saw it in 2007. The whole movie was about roundup ready soybeans, and now I probably won't sleep trying to remember the name of that loving movie.

(*edit*) gently caress yes, found it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7812548160862207272

The world according to Monsanto. That looks like the whole thing.

Tribal Rival fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 23, 2010

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Forge_Pharaoh posted:

C2C - Did you see the porno version of that documentary called Remjob Koolhaas?

No.

:(

Zealander
Aug 3, 2006

Eggsucker posted:

Cool poo poo here, I'm not finished watching yet but its alright. The guy rambles a lot. He's got some far out ideas but he's very intelligent.

By Nassim Haramein
At ~6:55 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57EUmHlDoJU

quote:

You have, you know, a penis - a vector and a vagina - a sphere. And penis crosses the event horizon of the sphere... And then it sends another little vector - a sperm, out and that little vector crosses the event horizon of the cell, of the egg, right? And then egg crosses the event horizon of the uterus and goes into placenta and grows and makes a sphere, right? And then the sphere... inside the sphere is the vectors of the legs and arms and all this. And then eventually that vector moves out and crosses the event horizon of the mother. You see how that, you know, evolves. And then eventually when you die you cross the event horizon of your own atoms.

He's intelligent alright.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Just watched this, reminded me abit of the Mesa doc about those people living off the grid.

Carny

This documentary explores the slowly-disappearing world of the family-based traveling carnival and the ubiquitous itinerant workers that inhabit this world. The filmmaker follows a traveling three-generation family carnival and captures the poetry of the fairground experience, providing a glimpse into a mysterious, intoxicating and often maligned subculture; a unique point of view into a contemporary nomadic way of life that is quickly vanishing.

http://www.tvo.org/TVO/WebObjects/TVO.woa?videoid?86262280001

(Canadian site)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Youtube user 'nookie077' (*sigh*) has the whole of 'The Great War', BBC 1964 WW1 mega-doc bundled up on his channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nookie077