Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Started watching this with the sound off; got annoyed when he started flipping his four blu-rays back and forth. Turned if off soon thereafter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mustach posted:

Started watching this with the sound off; got annoyed when he started flipping his four blu-rays back and forth. Turned if off soon thereafter.

You missed nothing of any value. It's some whiny douche bag talking for 10 minutes about how blu-ray sucks because he's too stupid to figure out how to do firmware updates for his player.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Did he just confused Joker with Dent? What the hell he's talking about "faces departin their bodies"

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Honest Thief posted:

Did he just confused Joker with Dent? What the hell he's talking about "faces departin their bodies"

No more drugs...for that man.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is what we're getting in the US:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

doctor thodt posted:

This is what we're getting in the US:

I'm getting the big gently caress off statue version, but I've never been a fan of that kind of packaging.

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot there's also a UK release of Suspiria. Not sure about the pq there but it appears to also be region locked.

I've rented it. Its not excellent, but I think that is more to do with the source material. Its also hard to judge at times because the backgrounds are mainly primary colours. To add to this, the aspect ratio looks wrong on certain scenes, e.g. One of the ballet girls has a long face during the scene when they are bedding down. At times the PQ is soft, but at others there is plenty of detail. Near the start of the film, there is a pool of blood on the floor which appeared to have a halo, but it could just be the way the scene was shot. The sound is OK, oppressively loud when it is supposed to be. If you like the film, you will no doubt like the release.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Splice 10/5

Pretty sure October is going to be the most expensive Blu-Ray month to date:

Oct. 5
Bad Lieutenant
Beauty and the Beast
The Blair Witch Project
The Exorcist
Grindhouse
Hard Candy
High Tension
The Human Centipede (shut up, you know you're going to buy this)
The Maltese Falcon
Secretary
The Secret of Kells
Splice
The Trasure of Sierre Madre

Oct. 12
The Darjeeling Limited
The Magician
Three Kings

Oct. 19
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Ultimate Edition
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Ultimate Edition
Oceans
Psycho
The Seven Samurai

Oct. 26
Alien Anthology
Back to the Future Trilogy
House
Paths of Glory

....and that's just so far.

e:

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 22, 2010

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

26th of October also has William Lustig's 1980 slasher masterpiece Maniac coming out. Tom Savini's exploding head in 1080p.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

Oct. 5
The Exorcist
The Maltese Falcon

Oct. 12
The Darjeeling Limited
The Magician

Oct. 19
Psycho
The Seven Samurai

Oct. 26
Alien Anthology
House
Paths of Glory

Edited for me. Still a pretty packed slate. I'm kind of dreading how long it's going to take to get through that Alien box.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

quote:

Oct. 12
The Darjeeling Limited

Oct. 19
Psycho
The Seven Samurai

Oct. 26
Alien Anthology
Back to the Future Trilogy
House
Paths of Glory

Me, but most of them will be Christmas gifts, and the Criterions can wait for the next 50% off sale so :toot:

B&TB coming out made me remember a Disney movie I really want on Blu-Ray since it was my favorite movie from when I was 3-6 or so: Mary Poppins. It isn't an animated movie either, so it theoretically wouldn't be tied to their cocksucking schedule!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Some photos of the collectible Alien packaging.

It kinda looks like it's made out of Gummi. I think it's time for Trolli to start product developoment on Gummi Facehuggers.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Criminal Minded posted:

If they don't include the original cut, and they don't put it on one disc, I will...well, I'll be very angry. :argh:

The last DVD edition had both cuts, why wouldn't this one?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grindhouse details:

quote:

Disc 1 - Theatrical Exhibition:

* Grindhouse Feature (Planet Terror)
* Intermission Cards
* Don't Trailer
* Werewolf Women of the S.S Trailer
* Thanksgiving Trailer
* Grindhouse Feature (Death Proof)

Disc 2
Planet Terror

* Robert Rodriguez's 10-Minute Film School
* The Badass Babes of Planet Terror
* The Guys of Planet Terror
* Casting Rebel
* Sickos, Bullets, And Explosions: The Stunts of Planet Terror
* The Friend, The Doctor, and the Real Estate Agent
* Planet Terror Poster Gallery

Death Proof

* Stunts On Wheels: The Legendary Drivers of Death Proof
* Quentin's Greatest Collaborator: Editor Sally Menke
* The Guys of Death Proof
* Kurt Russell as Stuntman Mike
* Finding Quentin's Gals
* The Uncut Version of "Baby, It's You" performed by Mary Elizabeth Winstead
* Introducing Zoe Bell
* Double Dare Trailer
* Death Proof Extended Music
* Death Proof Poster Gallery

Plus these all-new bonus features:

* Robert Rodriguez's 10-Minute Cooking School
* The Makeup Effects of Planet Terror
* The Hot Rods of Death Proof
* From Texas to Tennessee: The Production Design of Death Proof
* Trailers
* Extended Werewolf Women of The SS Trailer
* View Extended Cut Of Werewolf Women of the SS Trailer with Commentary by Director Rob Zombie
* The Making Of Werewolf Women of the SS Trailer
* Extended Don't Trailer
* View Extended Cut Of Don't Trailer with Commentary by Director Edgar Wright
* The Making of Don't Trailer
* Don't Storyboard/Trailer Comparison
* View Don't Storyboard/Trailer Comparison with Commentary by Director Edgar Wright
* Don't Storyboards Still Gallery
* Don't Poster
* The Making of Thanksgiving Trailer
* New York Times Talk with Quention Tarantino and Lynn Hirschberg at Comic Con 2006 Featuring the Directors and Cast of Grindhouse
* Grindhouse Trailer Contest Winner Hobo With A Shotgun

:drat:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

doctor thodt posted:

Grindhouse details:

Robert Rodriguez's 10-Minute Cooking School

I really enjoy these on the other DVDs of his I've seen. If I remember correctly, he's doing Texas BBQ for this one.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

doctor thodt posted:

Grindhouse details:

:awesome: Still can't believe I am getting it for $13.99 shipped. Seems like it is shaping up to be an amazing set.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

FitFortDanga posted:

Some photos of the collectible Alien packaging.

It kinda looks like it's made out of Gummi. I think it's time for Trolli to start product developoment on Gummi Facehuggers.

Looks like plastic, which I suppose make sense from a durability standpoint, but I really wish it were resin or mixed media.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

doctor thodt posted:

Grindhouse details:

I wonder if that will include the extended, separate versions of the movies?

Still, an awesome deal at $13.99.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

bmmello posted:

Theatrical Exhibition - I doubt it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

bmmello posted:

Still, an awesome deal at $13.99.

Where's this 13.99 deal?

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

morestuff posted:

Where's this 13.99 deal?

For a few hours when it was first listed on Amazon it was for $13.99 before it shot up to $27.99. You had to preorder it pretty early to get that price.

edit: now it's $24.99

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

:siren: The Machete trailer is missing :mad: :siren:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Max22 posted:

:siren: The Machete trailer is missing :mad: :siren:

I think that was a mistake by IGN since the Machete trailer played before Planet Terror. I couldn't imagine them cutting it out.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Well, they specifically mentioned all the other trailers sandwiched between the features, so... I dunno.

They mention the intermission cards but not the old-school censor warnings and feature presentation logos too, so I really hope those didn't get the axe.

Basically, we're getting something better than anything we've ever had, but I'm still afraid they're gonna botch it somehow.

Miramaaaaaaaaaxx :argh:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So does this mean we're also going to finally get Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair?

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Max22 posted:

Well, they specifically mentioned all the other trailers sandwiched between the features, so... I dunno.

They mention the intermission cards but not the old-school censor warnings and feature presentation logos too, so I really hope those didn't get the axe.

Basically, we're getting something better than anything we've ever had, but I'm still afraid they're gonna botch it somehow.

Miramaaaaaaaaaxx :argh:

Machete is directed by Rodriguez and is part of the stand-alone Planet Terror release, so it could just be lumped in with Planet Terror again in the press release. There's also absolutely no reason for it to NOT be included, so I really don't think there's anything to be worried about.

As for IGN's article, well a) how the gently caress would IGN have info about this outside of the announced specs - if they were to report Machete was missing, it'd just be them reading too far into the press release most likely. And b), they didn't even say it wasn't included - they simply said that Machete wasn't a 'faux trailer' as a real movie ended up being made.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Prowler reviewed

Blue Underground continues to embarrass most of the major studios.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

frumpsnake posted:

According to The Digital Bits, Paramount have announced an exchange program for Gladiator, complete with a contradictory PR-speak bullshit response:

Can't they just admit it was a loving piece of poo poo?

Comparison screen shots if you want to see the differences; http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/68257/picture:1

[edit]
Doh you already linked it. My bad. The movie looks a lot better now.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Starscream posted:

gently caress Open Water. There's only two movies (out of nearly 3000 I've seen) that I've ranked lower.

Sorry for going off topic, but since you brought it up I'm curious as to what those are.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

TheJoker138 posted:

So does this mean we're also going to finally get Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair?

It took 3 years for Grindhouse. We're on year 5 for TWBA. Not holding my breath.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

For people who don't know, Sideshow Collectibles doesn't gently caress around. That case is going to be very durable and expensive. Im not a huge Alien fan (movies are great but i'm a Predator guy), so the slick boxset is nice. :)

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

For people who don't know, Sideshow Collectibles doesn't gently caress around. That case is going to be very durable and expensive. Im not a huge Alien fan (movies are great but i'm a Predator guy), so the slick boxset is nice. :)

I'd agree but it looks like it's made out of lovely plastic rather than one of their high quality resin/mixed media statues. The arm and those tentacle things on its back in particular look like they came from some $20 cheapo Walmart toy.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

You know what's bullshit? Compact disc! So first, you buy your album on vinyl, then you buy it on cassette, but no, now you need to buy it on this compact disc! It's just an obvious ploy to get people to buy all their albums again.

And look at this! Some records suck compared to their CD counterpart. Look at London Calling! It's on TWO DISCS! AND they don't even list "Train in Vain" on it! What if I want to listen to that song? Oh, it looks like side 4 ends with Revolution Rock! Well, I want to listen to their hit song! And then get this, on Dire Strait's "Brothers in Arms," the record has less music! Half the songs are edited! What is this poo poo! They're just putting more music on them so you buy the CD version over the cheaper LP version!

Seriously, CDs are a rip off.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

doctor thodt posted:

The Prowler reviewed

Blue Underground continues to embarrass most of the major studios.

Why is it it's so common in bluray releases to change some of the scenes colour tone?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Honest Thief posted:

Why is it it's so common in bluray releases to change some of the scenes colour tone?

I would guess that the technology to do digital color timing matured/got cheap right about the same time blurays came onto the scene. So when these are all being prepped for bluray it's one of those "we might as well fix this now" things.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Unrated edition of MacGruber coming September 7, with commentary, a deleted scene, and a gag reel.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

LloydDobler posted:

Sorry for going off topic, but since you brought it up I'm curious as to what those are.

Featdotcom and Alone in the Dark.

And yet something tells me we'll see Blus of both of those before some of my favourite movies are released (basically any Herzog or Tarkovsky).

Starscream fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 23, 2010

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
A Nightmare On Elm Street (2010) - October 5th. Standard WB BD+DVD+Digital Copy.

Of all the remakes, this one probably disappointed me the most. There's so much potential to use a decent budget and today's CGI to create totally hosed imagery that just wasn't feasible for Craven in 84. Instead, they did the blandest loving thing possible.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Neo_Reloaded posted:

A Nightmare On Elm Street (2010) - October 5th. Standard WB BD+DVD+Digital Copy.

Of all the remakes, this one probably disappointed me the most. There's so much potential to use a decent budget and today's CGI to create totally hosed imagery that just wasn't feasible for Craven in 84. Instead, they did the blandest loving thing possible.

I disagree, the more CGI the worse that movie would have been. Example, the "freddy through the wall" scene, the flying body scene as well. Everytime effects were used it looked horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't think that the movie having a lot of CGI was the problem, it was just that it was all used very poorly. They did not hire a very good experienced team of CGI artists.

• Locked thread