Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

codyclarke posted:

Cops and Robbersons?

Nope, it was a tv series. Perhaps more obscure than I remember. I don't think it ran for particularly long, the villain I've seen in a number of things but can't remember what - he's tall and has got a beard and a receding hairline. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

J Wiggle posted:

This one is pretty vague, not sure if there's enough info to id:
Saw it on cable TV a good number of years back (at least 10). The only thing I remember is that it was supposed to be scary (I think) and had one scene where this guy was trying to convince the main character to have sex with one of two twins (characters choice) so he could get them pregnant?

Probably not it, but Dead Ringers?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
This is going to be really vague, but there is a movie I caught part of on the other day that I recall watching in middle school. There is only one scene I explicitly remember.

It is about a family in china and I guess their rise to wealth a bit. At one point the father gets a nice juicy young wife who isn't exactly faithful. The scene I recall most completely is a scene where the son is going to town for some reason and his step-mother asks him to take her shoe buckles in to be re-plated with silver. He picks them up, sees they do not need to be re-plated and says as much. She tells him he is silly because they don't need to be re-plated, they are solid silver! I think she seduces him.

Later on locusts come and eat all their fields of rice.

I can't recall if the movie was black and white or early colour, but I wanted to ask the general film questions thread about the locusts special effect!

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Synnr posted:

This is going to be really vague, but there is a movie I caught part of on the other day that I recall watching in middle school. There is only one scene I explicitly remember.

It is about a family in china and I guess their rise to wealth a bit. At one point the father gets a nice juicy young wife who isn't exactly faithful. The scene I recall most completely is a scene where the son is going to town for some reason and his step-mother asks him to take her shoe buckles in to be re-plated with silver. He picks them up, sees they do not need to be re-plated and says as much. She tells him he is silly because they don't need to be re-plated, they are solid silver! I think she seduces him.

Later on locusts come and eat all their fields of rice.

I can't recall if the movie was black and white or early colour, but I wanted to ask the general film questions thread about the locusts special effect!

Sounds like The Good Earth.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Sounds like The Good Earth.

It certainly is, thank you!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Glass Joe posted:

Longshot, but possibly Slaughter High?
Looks like Slaughter High was 1986; film quality on this one definitely looked older than that. Thanks though, that movie looks like a good laugh. :)

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Horror High maybe...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072331/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKAlI3Nt-oY

doctamagickfingaz
Jan 25, 2006

Distort Our Troops
Curious if anyone can recognize this b-grade action movie in spite of my bad memory. Saw this over 10 years ago, maybe even 15. I only remember being on a road trip with some friends and their parents chaperoning us while this was on either HBO or Showtime in the hotel. I was trying to sleep while it was playing and whoever had the remote may have been channel surfing so I may be mixing up two movies.
Assuming it was one movie I am certain it was late 1980's or mid-90's and starred some musclebound white dude as the protagonist, like Van Damme or an imitation. I think the setting was either a desert or jungle full of bad guys with guns. The rising action seemed to involve some kind of underground fighting tournament because there was a scene with at least two dudes beating each other up in the middle of a crowd of spectators.
After that I remember losing focus on the movie but waking up sometime later and seeing what could have been that movie's climax or another movie completely. It involved a shoot-out, the scene looked to be a bunker or hangar that was on fire and I think a helicopter was on its way to rescue the hero. Before the hero gets away he kills a man who took a naked woman hostage and the two of them try to run away together but someone or something kills her and the survivors leave her body behind as they hurry off in the helicopter. I would have assumed that last part was a dream if it wasn't for my friends talking about it the next day.

EDIT: Pretty sure this was the summer of 1997 when I saw this movie or those movies. Since this was on a movie channel it's very likely to have been something that was made earlier, like Lionheart, but not any earlier than the 1980's. If they were separate films their styles were so drat similar it was impossible to tell.

Also I'm curious where the parody documentary footage for this "Surviving Edged Weapons" video came from. I know part of the ending is Robocop, but that's obviously separate from the rest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFr30p0aZl0

doctamagickfingaz fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 21, 2010

PonchtheJedi
Feb 20, 2004

Still got some work to do...

doctamagickfingaz posted:

Curious if anyone can recognize this b-grade action movie in spite of my bad memory. Saw this over 10 years ago, maybe even 15. I only remember being on a road trip with some friends and their parents chaperoning us while this was on either HBO or Showtime in the hotel. I was trying to sleep while it was playing and whoever had the remote may have been channel surfing so I may be mixing up two movies.
Assuming it was one movie I am certain it was late 1980's or mid-90's and starred some musclebound white dude as the protagonist, like Van Damme or an imitation. I think the setting was either a desert or jungle full of bad guys with guns. The rising action seemed to involve some kind of underground fighting tournament because there was a scene with at least two dudes beating each other up in the middle of a crowd of spectators.
After that I remember losing focus on the movie but waking up sometime later and seeing what could have been that movie's climax or another movie completely. It involved a shoot-out, the scene looked to be a bunker or hangar that was on fire and I think a helicopter was on its way to rescue the hero. Before the hero gets away he kills a man who took a naked woman hostage and the two of them try to run away together but someone or something kills her and the survivors leave her body behind as they hurry off in the helicopter. I would have assumed that last part was a dream if it wasn't for my friends talking about it the next day.

You might be mixing up two movies, I'm pretty sure the one you're talking about with Van Damme (or an imitator) is Lionheart.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100029/

Van Damme plays a guy in the Foreign Legion stationed in some desert, he finds out his brother has been killed, so he goes AWOL and flies to the US and begins to participate in underground street fights for rich people. He uses the winnings to help out his brother's wife and kid.

Memorable scenes - Van Damme fights a guy in a pool with almost no water in it, Van Damme fights a guy in a kilt in a ring of cars with the headlights on, and at the end Van Damme fights a guy who looks like Andrew Dice Clay's bigger, meaner brother.

Hanky Church
Oct 31, 2009
Okay, this may be one of those movies I made up when I was younger (I haven't seen it since I was a kid) but I'm almost positive it's real.

This girl and a guy are dating, and it's like a Juno/Garden State/blah blah romance indie film. Here's the weird part: this guy's apartment was filled with sentient cockroaches. There seemed to be quite a few of them and I think they helped him with this girl. They MAY have been some hallucination on his part but it's been too long to remember that for a fact.

Sorry if this is too vague but it's has been bothering me for YEARS and I wanted to know if I made it up or not.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Hanky Church posted:

Okay, this may be one of those movies I made up when I was younger (I haven't seen it since I was a kid) but I'm almost positive it's real.

This girl and a guy are dating, and it's like a Juno/Garden State/blah blah romance indie film. Here's the weird part: this guy's apartment was filled with sentient cockroaches. There seemed to be quite a few of them and I think they helped him with this girl. They MAY have been some hallucination on his part but it's been too long to remember that for a fact.

Sorry if this is too vague but it's has been bothering me for YEARS and I wanted to know if I made it up or not.

Joe's Apartment

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

donquixotic posted:

This one thankfully isn't obscure but the name escapes me. It's a tv show more than likely from the late 90s and revolved around I think a cop and villain living next door to each other. Features ridiculous action sequences all in slow motion, very silly action-comedy type show where the neighbours keep having run-ins.

This sounds like "The War Next Door".

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I watched this slasher about a year ago, and I'm pretty sure it was made within the last few years.

It was about a kid who became obsessed with trying to find and watch a notorious horror film that was only played in theaters once before being banned because it was to scary / gruesome or whatever (and he was a horror junkie so this was like the holy grail).

He somehow finds the daughter of the guy who made it at a strip club, she gives him some helpful information on locating him, and then he (and some friends iirc) trek off into the woods after interviewing some locals, blah blah blah.

In the end it turns out that the girl helping him is in on the whole thing and the "horror movie" he's looking for is an on-going thing that has been filming for the last 30 years or so.

My Googlefu has failed me :(

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

fullroundaction posted:

I watched this slasher about a year ago, and I'm pretty sure it was made within the last few years.

It was about a kid who became obsessed with trying to find and watch a notorious horror film that was only played in theaters once before being banned because it was to scary / gruesome or whatever (and he was a horror junkie so this was like the holy grail).

He somehow finds the daughter of the guy who made it at a strip club, she gives him some helpful information on locating him, and then he (and some friends iirc) trek off into the woods after interviewing some locals, blah blah blah.

In the end it turns out that the girl helping him is in on the whole thing and the "horror movie" he's looking for is an on-going thing that has been filming for the last 30 years or so.

My Googlefu has failed me :(

The Hills Run Red

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Slasherfan posted:

The Hills Run Red

Thanks! I can't believe I couldn't find this from my queries ... but the words you have to use to describe the plot are so generic that it's almost pointless.

E: Also name/post combo. :hfive:

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 23, 2010

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I saw part of this film at a German military base in Afghanistan; it was dubbed in German, so I'm not sure what the original language was.

It looked relatively recent, late 90s or later, and was about a Soviet Naval Infantry unit (the ones with the blue-white striped shirts) deployed to the Soviet-Afghan War.

A few of the key scenes:

- Group of soldiers gets into nice uniforms to fly back to Russia for leave, but the bird gets hit in mid-air by the mujahideen, tries to crash-land back on the airfield, and explodes in a huge fireball.

- Bunch of soldiers hang around in their skivvies smoking weed while their buddy nails some blond chick with a short haircut.

- Soldier flags down old Afghan man outside their fort trying to buy weed, gets led into the canyons to a village set back in a series of caves, then realizes the man is blind

It looked pretty cool, and not overly Hollywoody (unlike Flyboys, which I otherwise would've liked). Ideas?

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This sounds like "The War Next Door".

Ah yes brilliant, thanks. I tried searching imdb for action-comedies and at one point I guessed Enemy Next Door but didn't get it. Only 13 episodes, no wonder nobody remembered it.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I saw part of this film at a German military base in Afghanistan; it was dubbed in German, so I'm not sure what the original language was.

It looked relatively recent, late 90s or later, and was about a Soviet Naval Infantry unit (the ones with the blue-white striped shirts) deployed to the Soviet-Afghan War.

A few of the key scenes:

- Group of soldiers gets into nice uniforms to fly back to Russia for leave, but the bird gets hit in mid-air by the mujahideen, tries to crash-land back on the airfield, and explodes in a huge fireball.

- Bunch of soldiers hang around in their skivvies smoking weed while their buddy nails some blond chick with a short haircut.

- Soldier flags down old Afghan man outside their fort trying to buy weed, gets led into the canyons to a village set back in a series of caves, then realizes the man is blind

It looked pretty cool, and not overly Hollywoody (unlike Flyboys, which I otherwise would've liked). Ideas?

9th Company or 9th Rota.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_9th_Company

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

I was reading the thread in GBS about the new massive star they discovered when this guy VV posted this nifty little chart. A memory flashed back to me of this really cool PBS or Kentucky affiliate (WKET) TV show That I would kill to watch again because it was awesome when I was ten.

here I'll just copy the whole mess:

Montalvo posted:

Stellar evolution is incredibly interesting, and was one of the more exciting classes I took as an undergraduate astronomy student. This bad boy is where it's all at.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Ok this is weird. That map reminded me of this show they had on PBS in the 80's. It was a one-off thing about the Universe and the objects in it. Man it was trippy. Like a combination of Logan's Run and Hitchhiker's Guide, with super low production values. I cannot for the life of me remember the name though. Something like. The universe and I. Or Me, the Universe and You. I seem to remember it being three words with Universe in there :saddowns:

At one point they show this big map of stars (a large black painted board with colored lightbulbs) just like the map above and the Girl character touches one and it goes out. Cue long discussion on the death of stars. I want to say the 'main characters' were planet personifications..but I could be very wrong. And I seem to remember that everyone gets sucked into a black hole at the end.
And no, this was not the movie "The Black Hole".

Man it was cool when I was 10. Wish I could remember it better.

Additional things I remember about it. I believe the main female character wore gauzy blue. The set was black and I think she did some sort of interpretive sort of dancing at the beginning.

Here is hoping that some elder-goon also saw this on some PBS station and remembers what the hell it was called.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 23, 2010

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Could be it, I'll save it to my Netflix queue. Thanks!

Edit: After watching the youtube clip, I'm almost positive that's it. Awesome! :hfive:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I saw an interesting short film on the Sundance Channel recently. It was about an elderly couple who were doing ecstasy on Wednesdays to break up the tedium of their lives. I wanted to find it again, but I didn't get the name. Does anyone know what this is called? It was a Irish production. Predictably, googling this bit of information doesn't bring up anything relevant.

jerseyboyji
Aug 7, 2006
ugh do i hate hair pussys
I can't remember the name of this film. Its about a girl who is all set to travel through like a militarily built stargate, but then a terrorist fundie blows it up, but the Japanese built an identical one in the ocean for her to use.
Ring any bells?

Erasmus Darwin
Mar 6, 2001

jerseyboyji posted:

I can't remember the name of this film. Its about a girl who is all set to travel through like a militarily built stargate, but then a terrorist fundie blows it up, but the Japanese built an identical one in the ocean for her to use.

Contact (1997)

jerseyboyji
Aug 7, 2006
ugh do i hate hair pussys
THATS IT! Thank you.

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.

CPL593H posted:

I saw an interesting short film on the Sundance Channel recently. It was about an elderly couple who were doing ecstasy on Wednesdays to break up the tedium of their lives. I wanted to find it again, but I didn't get the name. Does anyone know what this is called? It was a Irish production. Predictably, googling this bit of information doesn't bring up anything relevant.

The Wednesdays
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1143922/

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CHOICE COD posted:

The Wednesdays
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1143922/

That's the one, thanks.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I watched this movie on a plane in 99 or 2000. It was in German and the main character was a latchkey kid. I remember at least one scene being lit very oddly, perhaps more than one scene, everything shining with a golden light. That's honestly all I remember.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I watched this movie on HBO back sometime probably in the mid 90s at a friend's house. I don't remember too much of it.

It seemed to be a bit futuristic where there was an oppressive government. There were a lot of people who were rebellious and generally seemed to look like punks (from what I recollect)

I believe that sex was prohibited, and if the security forces were to catch you, you would go to jail. I seem to remember one scene where 2 main characters were together in an apt, and a female officer shows up with a flashlight and demands to see whether he was aroused or not.

I think that the main characters were freedom fighters/ terrorists of some sort. I seem to recall a large terminal of some sort with a glass ceiling, and explosions being set, and/or the main characters running across the roof as they were shot at from below.

There was a televised execution/torture of the leader of the freedom fighters, or a rebellious figure. I seem to recall that he was tied spread eagle, and was burned with a laser or something like that?

I basically only remember 3 scenes from the movie. :)

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
What are the names of these (kinda twisted) movies? They are both from the 80's, as far as I remember.

1 - Brian Dennehy (I think) is a cop, and he pulls over this young teenage-ish couple, and makes the guy get grease from under his car, and rapes the girl with it. He tells the boyfriend that if he turns around, and the cop is holding the gun, he will kill them both. But if he isn't, he will let them go. He isn't but the kid never turns around, and so the cop keeps raping the girlfriend. A line I (kinda) remember - "I thought you kept this car cherry, boy" - when making the kid get the grease. The boy and girl confront the cop the next day at some diner.

2 - All I remember about this movie is it's some sheepish Japanese guy in Japan, and he's riding the subway, and sees some girl get felt up and do nothing. Later, he's telling a friend about it (in Japanese) and says, "She was having an ORGASM! I SAW it!" - Something like that.

That's all I can remember. Sorry these are both creepy.

Any help appreciated.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

ladron posted:

2 - All I remember about this movie is it's some sheepish Japanese guy in Japan, and he's riding the subway, and sees some girl get felt up and do nothing. Later, he's telling a friend about it (in Japanese) and says, "She was having an ORGASM! I SAW it!" - Something like that.

That's all I can remember. Sorry these are both creepy.

Any help appreciated.

The second one kind of sounds like Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
Seeing that Charles Bronson is in it makes me think you are right.

EDIT - Saw this movie, and it definitely is the right one, thanks!

ladron fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 29, 2010

NewTennMom
Jun 15, 2006
Quidam, I am.
Oh I am so so happy I found this thread.

I saw a movie at a small independent movie theater in Miami around 04 or 05.

It was a Japanese movie. Subtitled. The story was about a young samurai (I think?) who was in love with a woman he simply could not be with. They would sneak out often to see each other. They lived in a small village, and I believe it was some sort of class thing keeping them separate. There were also several scenes that took place in some sort of school - probably some sort of samurai school.

In the end the young man in love killed the girls father. He gets girl, the end.

That same day, I also saw a movie about a very old Japanese mail man (subtitled), who delivered mail on foot, and walked hundreds of miles to do so. The story was about the man passing away, and his son taking over his job.

If anyone could help with either, I would be so grateful.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

NewTennMom posted:

That same day, I also saw a movie about a very old Japanese mail man (subtitled), who delivered mail on foot, and walked hundreds of miles to do so. The story was about the man passing away, and his son taking over his job.

This sounds like Postmen in the Mountains, although it's Chinese, not Japanese.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)
When I was a kid I saw this late-night movie, I'm pretty sure it was Japanese. It was about this woman who wanted to marry this dude (he'd made a promise with her when they were kids? I could be mixing two films up) so she goes to live with him but he's clearly not interested. She has these (three?) envelopes which visit out these weird supernatural punishments on him that she uses on him when he refuses her, the only one of which I remember being that his dick grows excessively long; as in, down to his trouser cuffs. The company he works for has a board meeting where they bring in these sexy fashion models to promote a product and he gets an erection which forces his entire leg up, knocking the table. One of the women tries to help him by massaging his 'leg cramp', with predictable results.

There's also a scene where he goes to the toilet by resting his shoe on the urinal and rolling up his trouser cuffs.

It wasn't strictly a comedy, though, if I remember it right. I think it had some sort of weird horror plot starring ancient ghosts or something trying to sacrifice virgins (again, I could be mixing this up with another film).

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

ladron posted:

Seeing that Charles Bronson is in it makes me think you are right.

Also known as the movie where he shoves a dildo up a crimials rear end.

NewTennMom
Jun 15, 2006
Quidam, I am.

FitFortDanga posted:

This sounds like Postmen in the Mountains, although it's Chinese, not Japanese.

Thank you so much for this! I have a pretty poor memory so I mistook Japanese for Chinese.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

cheerfullydrab posted:

I watched this movie on a plane in 99 or 2000. It was in German and the main character was a latchkey kid. I remember at least one scene being lit very oddly, perhaps more than one scene, everything shining with a golden light. That's honestly all I remember.
This movie was in 2001, but it sounds kind of like Mostly Martha (German title: Bella Martha) to me. It's the story of a female chef in a fancy restaurant who is suddenly faced with raising her niece after her sister is killed in a car accident, and a lot of the story focuses on how the kid copes (and doesn't cope) with her aunt's late work hours. A lot of the scenes take place at night, and I think I remember a scene with lighting like you describe.

It was remade as the horrible American film No Reservations with Catherine Zeta-Jones.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

When I was a kid I saw this late-night movie, I'm pretty sure it was Japanese. It was about this woman who wanted to marry this dude (he'd made a promise with her when they were kids? I could be mixing two films up) so she goes to live with him but he's clearly not interested. She has these (three?) envelopes which visit out these weird supernatural punishments on him that she uses on him when he refuses her, the only one of which I remember being that his dick grows excessively long; as in, down to his trouser cuffs. The company he works for has a board meeting where they bring in these sexy fashion models to promote a product and he gets an erection which forces his entire leg up, knocking the table. One of the women tries to help him by massaging his 'leg cramp', with predictable results.

There's also a scene where he goes to the toilet by resting his shoe on the urinal and rolling up his trouser cuffs.

It wasn't strictly a comedy, though, if I remember it right. I think it had some sort of weird horror plot starring ancient ghosts or something trying to sacrifice virgins (again, I could be mixing this up with another film).

I'm pretty sure that's Ghostly Vixen, starring Amy Yip.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100779/

INTERACTIVE CD-ROM
Nov 18, 2005

Love?
Scene: A dinner party attended by 3 or so couples. Somebody has just finished telling an amusing anecdote (not shown), presumably about an experience with a medical professional.

WIFE#1: Doctors! :smug:
HUSBAND #1: :rolleyes: ...That's right, honey. (takes big sip of liquor)

What is this from? I remember it pretty clearly so it must be something I've seen dozens of times, but I can't quite place it. ARGH

edit: it was Hellraiser

INTERACTIVE CD-ROM fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobgeldofsunderwear
Sep 22, 2005
According to my film studies book, scar in the lion king is a gay nazi.
I saw this horror film when I was away in Germany several years ago and can't remember the title.

It was made in the 90s I think, and revolved around this demon/devil that was repelled by light. It was an American film I think set in a small town, and the end was in a church where the bad demon guy was killed by a sword or a scythe.

It's not End of Days, Darkness Falls or John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness. I just can't remember it at all and would love to rewatch it!