Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cronus
Mar 9, 2003

Hello beautiful.
This...is gonna get gross.

mune posted:

I kinda wish that the Band of the Hawk arc was a lot longer. It was the high point of the series in my opinion.

I'm of the mind that when you see the whole story when it's complete, these arcs will easily be comparable or better. The hard part is the wait, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Beserk is an epic story. I like it because Guts is the absolute least pretentious hero I've ever read about it. So, epic stories aren't just slaying bad guys and saving the girl. You have to build the scale of the battle. Each side track with demons shows how Guts is a demon slayer. The story doesn't just tell you 'heres the cool guy'. It doesn't just give him the super sword of 9000 demon killing because he was born to be the king. The Beserk plot builds the characters into what they are.

Read something like Fist of the North Star, which is no less classic or epic, and you will see a lot of 'this guy is strong....oh no he killed the strong guy!' What a surprise! Stories NEED exposition to make the conflict believable important. I appreciate it and frankly, I've enjoyed the series enough that it doesn't have to hurry up. Each section is self contained well so I've receive the feeling of completion several times over. There is just more and more to read.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
That's great, but I want to see how this is going to end. At the moment, I'm afraid that Miura is going to pull a Robert Jordan on us. If he gets hit by a car next week, I will be pissed!

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Does anyone knows how long it takes him to create one chapter? Does he have assistants and everything? I'm just wondering how many hours of work could be squeezed out for his 3 chapters than many months on break schedule. Are those months taken to create the next batch?

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

Hemish posted:

Does anyone knows how long it takes him to create one chapter? Does he have assistants and everything? I'm just wondering how many hours of work could be squeezed out for his 3 chapters than many months on break schedule. Are those months taken to create the next batch?

I remember reading somewhere that he does have a couple of assistants that help from time to time, but the amount of work they do is relatively small. The guy is a hermit, like someone said earlier, who does nothing except eat, sleep, and draw.

The letter that SkullKnight.net received was really interesting to me.

quote:

Q8: Could you describe an average day in your studio? How many hours each day do you work?

I start working at 2:00 PM and I finish at 7:00 AM. Of course, the time I spend eating is included. I work 15-16 hours everyday, without holidays.

I tend to believe that he is constantly working on Berserk. I haven't seen anything about how long he spends on each, but I would imagine the length of time varies from episode to episode.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
not to mention idolmaster love and you've got a right old hikkomori

Click here for the full 640x386 image.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
The guy just needs something to counter Berserk's testosterone overload.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

The man needs some GTO in his veins. A bit of pep and vigour in his step and motivation.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

The guy just needs something to counter Berserk's testosterone overload.

"Dating" seems like a simple answer to me.

e: Ugh okay so I assumed that spending long hours drawing comics and playing idolmaster precludes his having a social life like a normal person. I apologize for being dumb.

But if he wanted calming influences, he could read literature or listen to music or go to museums or all kinds of stuff that would make me feel less weird about my hobbies okay :(

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 26, 2010

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Would you date Miura?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I'd be as interested in hanging out with him as with any other artist who's work I really admire. So yes, absolutely, at least one date, but I'm obviously biased.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
So how about chapter 315

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me

Schubalts posted:

Would you date Miura?

I'd blow him if it meant the series would get finished before he dies.

Also, 315. Wait, can it be? Can it really be? Yes, Guts goes full Berserker :black101:, had a sweet lead up to it too.

Also, is it just the translation, or is the pirate captain saying theres gonna be an Eclipse or something? Only way I can reason Guts would let himself get taken over by the Berserker so quickly.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
So it does look like it's going on break again, for a little bit anyway. The consistency of these breaks really do make me things its because of him spending just THAT MUCH TIME on the art.

ON THE OTHER HAND

Proving that, yes, you guys do take his blurbs (those re: Idolmaster in particular) wayyyy too seriously.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
That was badass. I am fulfilled for now, but I think I'll get another craving for badass long before a new chapter comes out.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Can someone upload that somewhere else for me? I'm not in a place where I can torrent things.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Do people actually like the berserker armour thing? One of the things I love best about Berserk is how "grounded" the fight panels are. You can almost feel how heavy Guts' sword weighs from the way he's drawn when he swings it (this is also one thing the Dreamcast game really managed to capture). The first time he used the Berserker armour it was pretty jawdropping to see him leaping around, but now it seems like he switches to using it so quickly. It doesn't help that he's just fighting a big amorphous blob again.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.

rapeface posted:

Do people actually like the berserker armour thing? One of the things I love best about Berserk is how "grounded" the fight panels are. You can almost feel how heavy Guts' sword weighs from the way he's drawn when he swings it (this is also one thing the Dreamcast game really managed to capture). The first time he used the Berserker armour it was pretty jawdropping to see him leaping around, but now it seems like he switches to using it so quickly. It doesn't help that he's just fighting a big amorphous blob again.

The appeal of the Berserker armor for me is its affinity with Guts. The fact that Serpico seems to have an affinity for wind doesn't really strike me as anything we've learned about the character over a long period of time, though there was the time he was doing sword practice catching leaves on his blade. However with Guts we have a firm grounding that his combat prowess is derived from an animal-like ferocity.

It would also stand to reason that after Guts got the Dragonslayer and could kill demons, Miura knew he had to up the stakes, so Guts can't just fight alone anymore, his path of carnage has drawn others into its pull. But even with his allies they are not strong enough to stand before the growing darkness (first the God Hand now Cthulhu). At the Spirit Tree when it would seem Guts is defeated, he comes back like always only now the thing we've known this whole time, that a life dedicated to fighting will kill Guts, is embodied in the armor. He is essentially wearing a mantle of death.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

If a world of transforming demons makes sense, then the berserker armor makes sense. Otherwise, Guts has to wear plot armor order get his ribs broken every fight and yet survive. The berserker armor is the cohesive counterpart to all the other magic in the story. In order to fight demons, Guts must possess a little demon in him. The berserker armor is just a reflection of that transformation and keeps Guts from being a complete mary sue.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

temple posted:

If a world of transforming demons makes sense, then the berserker armor makes sense. Otherwise, Guts has to wear plot armor order get his ribs broken every fight and yet survive. The berserker armor is the cohesive counterpart to all the other magic in the story. In order to fight demons, Guts must possess a little demon in him. The berserker armor is just a reflection of that transformation and keeps Guts from being a complete mary sue.

I'm was just talking about aesthetics. What does the realism of the armour have to do with anything? And the whole point of Guts is that he's a human that has even more bloodlust than demons. That's his "little bit of demon" imo. The armour seems more mary sue than anything. It's gotten him out of every tough fight ever since he got it and even though the plot says "omg so dangerous", you know loli-witch is going to bring him back and then he's just going to rest for a couple days.

nondeviant
Mar 14, 2005

Life's not fair, but at least it has a sense of humor.

rapeface posted:

you know loli-witch is going to bring him back and then he's just going to rest for a couple days.

This is true, loli witches and magic beans and whatnot have been terrible safety nets in too many manly fights. Obviously the only solution is to kill the witch.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

rapeface posted:

I'm was just talking about aesthetics. What does the realism of the armour have to do with anything? And the whole point of Guts is that he's a human that has even more bloodlust than demons. That's his "little bit of demon" imo. The armour seems more mary sue than anything. It's gotten him out of every tough fight ever since he got it and even though the plot says "omg so dangerous", you know loli-witch is going to bring him back and then he's just going to rest for a couple days.

I don't think that he's going to just "rest for a couple days". I think that he's going to get the poo poo kicked out of him again. I think that he'll be bed ridden for the rest of the trip to elfland.

What's mary sue?

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

I could see this being a way to put Guts out of commission for the rest of the arc. Let the other guys take down an Elder God for once.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

rapeface posted:

If there were just "Guts vs Enemies", I'd say sure, he doesn't need the armor. He's a strong dude who is a badass, and his best trait is being capable of losing himself in the battle and taking out horrible monsters.

But he is once again tasked with beating the monster while protecting his group. It's pretty much loving impossible doing his normal thing, since his entire style is "JUMP IN FACE AND STAB WITH GIGANTIC SWORD."

So by using the Berserker Armor, he's able to JUMP IN AND STAB much faster/ harder and possibly kill the monster before it kills the people he's with!!

Also, I think it's cool personally

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Plus it makes the whole "protecting his group" a lot more exciting, since he could turn on them at any time!

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

rapeface posted:

Look at pictures of Guts literally just before he starts using the suit. Before he was big and healthy looking (for the most part, protecting the fellowship took a lot out of him). Now hes got grey hair, looks like an old man almost how skinny he is, and absolutely covered in scars.

In truth hes only really used the armor, 4 maybe 5 times? When he first got it he went full zerker against the giant dragon dude (pretty much dead after this one), on the beach against the army of crocodiles (in which he nearly turned around and killed his entire group of friends), and he went full zerker during the huge Kushan invasion and they were trying to get on the boat. I think that covers it right?

Also I present evidence, the picture on the left is just before the fight where he gets the armor, the picture on the right is just after the fight.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cowboy fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 26, 2010

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I like realistic fighting Guts, but I think the armor is ok. It has huge negative drawbacks, its dangerous for him to wear it and even be around his team, and its necessary because the stakes have grown so much. He needed the Skull Knight to escape the eclipse and a lot of lucky coincidences to escape prior encounters that would have killed him so its not like he hasn't had 'plot armor' before.

Plus it was semi-necessary to get the witch lady to look into Guts thoughts and see what a hosed up dude he is.

And I like it when Monsters are like, "haw haw we're monsters, suck it, humans!" :haw: and then guts is all like :c00l: :black101: and then the monsters are all like :aaa:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

What's mary sue?
Mary sue is an example of a character that is idealized version of the author or the fans. They are flawless or have clichéd flaws, supremely capable, and selflessly die to protect their friends. It is a faux pas in fiction because it so self serving and doesn't produce interesting characters. Goku may not be a literal Mary Sue but fits the bill perfectly. Guts could be seen as a Mary Sue if he didn't have to seek more help and power. Otherwise, he is a sneering man child.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
ok fine im the only one :mad:

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Yeah guts looks a whole lot more "sinewy" now that he uses the armor.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

rapeface posted:

ok fine im the only one :mad:

You're not the only one. Any time Guts leans on something magical it detracts from the motif of humanity against the supernatural, which is a lot "fresher" in terms of fantasy plots than "man harnesses supernatural to fight against evil, is optionally corrupted by it."

I didn't want to argue about it, though, because in the long run what it means thematically is more important than whether it's a cliche or not. How awesome it looks doesn't hurt, either.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Guts is at his limit and beyond, the only sleep he ever gets is at the point of exhaustion/coma. He has spent the last year(s) being on his own killing everything in his path and now he has to do a 180. Griffith is back, (in the body of his son/daughter no less) he is the leader of capable fighters, but not as capable as he is. Caska is still mentally handicapped and he has to deal with the emotional rollercoaster/protect her all the time.

I will forgive the man for throwing on some plot armor every now and then. :colbert:

Anyone else get really depressed looking at Guts sans armor? :(

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Hung Yuri posted:

Yeah guts looks a whole lot more "sinewy" now that he uses the armor.

More....skeletal, perhaps?! :haw:

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Doc Hawkins posted:

More....skeletal, perhaps?! :haw:

I could be very happy with a conclusion where Guts dies. I kinda expect it. I don't think that I would be quite so happy if the story continues with Guts undies.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I could be very happy with a conclusion where Guts dies. I kinda expect it. I don't think that I would be quite so happy if the story continues with Guts undies.

He turns in the next Skeleton dude that helped him out!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Ok, you mean "undies" as in "Undeath", but I seriously thought for a second you were hoping the merchandising would never lead to Guts-patterned/theme underwear.

Although, a pair of box shorts with guts printed on them would be pretty badass.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

LashLightning posted:

Ok, you mean "undies" as in "Undeath", but I seriously thought for a second you were hoping the merchandising would never lead to Guts-patterned/theme underwear.

Although, a pair of box shorts with guts printed on them would be pretty badass.

Haha. I want berserker underwear that transform into the shape of my spirit animal's pelvis when I lose control of my rage!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Hemish posted:

He turns in the next Skeleton dude that helped him out!

It's not so far fetched. Armor devours him whole as fuel for its AWESOME POWER!!!

Just makes me wonder if it'll eat his soul or his body. Probably just his body if they take that route. And then cure it so he's only moderately more crippled at the end.

:catdrugs:

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Haha. I want berserker underwear that transform into the shape of my spirit animal's pelvis when I lose control of my rage!

When you lose your erection the underwear reinforces your penis by piercing it with shards of steel. :dong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Because of this thread I got cracking the first ASoIaF book finally.

70/670 pages in and so far it was tame with lots and lots of internal feelings and thought processes. Like Dune actually. I was thinking this book wouldn't go anywhere as treacherous as Berserk until page 72 and the line "The things I do for love" appeared. What followed made me go :aaaaa:

Now to wait for it to get rapetastic since this will be my main distraction while the current arc of Berserk takes its sweet time.