Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Two circs basically do the same thing as DPNs but with fewer needles. You can definitely knit socks with just circs. I personally prefer DPNs, but I had to force myself to use them early on. Now I find them much easier to work with, and I use them for as many projects as I can since I hate how wobbly circs can get (and I also hate seaming). :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I love DPNs, but I think it's totally personal preference. I sell the addi turbos for socks in 8" and 9" length, and it's crazy how people work on them. The needle part is so small...

Also, since my jaywalkers ARE coming out so beautifully, if I do say so myself, has anyone put elastic or something like that to hold your socks up?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Does anyone make fixed-cable circs in larger sizes with larger diameter cables? I've got some 9-13 US circs which are nice for doing quick hats but the stitches on the cable ALWAYS shrink and I end up not ever able to keep a consistent gauge because of it, and half the time have to physically pry the stitches back "up the ramp" onto the needle part because they've shrunk so much.

e: Basically I'm looking for Big Fat Circs with Big Fat Cables.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Wedemeyer posted:

What's easier to knit socks with, DPNs or circulars? I tried out some DPNs but they kept slipping out or getting in the way or suddenly I'd end up with two needles working. :confused: If I use circulars, I'll still need some DPNs to do the heel, right?

If you have one pair of circs with a long cable (I think about 32" for socks), you can use the magic loop method. I end up doing magic loop a lot because I already have a ton of circs and I don't feel like going out and buying more sets of DPNs on top of that, but honestly I still like DPNs better for really small things. It really is all about preference.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Wedemeyer posted:

What's easier to knit socks with, DPNs or circulars? I tried out some DPNs but they kept slipping out or getting in the way or suddenly I'd end up with two needles working. :confused: If I use circulars, I'll still need some DPNs to do the heel, right?

Like mentioned, it's personal preference. I find DPNs easier for me--but only if they're NOT metal. (I hate metal needles of any sort--too slick for me) And no, you don't need DPNs to do the sock heel if you use circs. Magic loop always gives me the worst ladders on the sides, and I've never used the 2 circ method.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Wedemeyer posted:

Hiya Hiya makes 9" circulars which I use for socks. You don't need DPN's for the heel, you can just knit half your stitches then turn your work to knit back and forth. It does get tricky when you're doing the toe decreases - I manage by doing a pseudo magic loop for the last rows, but good golly it is uncomfortable to do. So it's up to you if you want to put up with that, or DPNs, or doing a combo.

Roflex posted:

Does anyone make fixed-cable circs in larger sizes with larger diameter cables? I've got some 9-13 US circs which are nice for doing quick hats but the stitches on the cable ALWAYS shrink and I end up not ever able to keep a consistent gauge because of it, and half the time have to physically pry the stitches back "up the ramp" onto the needle part because they've shrunk so much.

e: Basically I'm looking for Big Fat Circs with Big Fat Cables.

Addi makes their Turbo needles with up to a 60" cord, with the full range of needle sizes up to a 20mm (which has gold glitter in it, for some reason).

EDIT: Whoops, misunderstood the question. I know that the BIG needles from Addi have nice fat cords, but I think for the sizes you're looking for, they're still the regular cords.

What cord length are you using? Maybe if you use a shorter one (16" if you're not already), the stitches will bunch up more on the needles and not slide?

Drei fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 23, 2010

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

No I'm fine with the cable lengths I have, I'm looking for THICKER cables. I want a cable that's basically the same thickness as a #9 US.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Honestly it just doesn't sound as feasible to do that way since it wouldn't be anywhere near as flexible. Also if you have issues with them going over the needle it sounds like you're knitting SUPER tight. Like I can't fathom how tight.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I have a couple of those, actually. Bryspun brand Bryflex needles, bought at Needleworks in Champaign, IL.

certainsounds
Apr 27, 2008

I'm so glad I've found this thread! I didn't know there were so many SA knitters around. I've been knitting for about 8 years and have gotten a bit bored with doing the same old thing (scarf, hat, shawl, repeat). It's 100 degrees outside and the last thing I want to do is knit a warm piece of clothing. So! Do any of you knit lace? I've wanted to try but I don't really know the first thing about it. My great aunt used to make the most beautiful things but I think she might have been crocheting instead of knitting. I don't enjoy crochet as much and am hoping to learn more about knitting finer types of items. Could you guys help point me in the right direction in terms of materials and resources?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

leishmania! posted:

I'm so glad I've found this thread! I didn't know there were so many SA knitters around. I've been knitting for about 8 years and have gotten a bit bored with doing the same old thing (scarf, hat, shawl, repeat). It's 100 degrees outside and the last thing I want to do is knit a warm piece of clothing. So! Do any of you knit lace? I've wanted to try but I don't really know the first thing about it. My great aunt used to make the most beautiful things but I think she might have been crocheting instead of knitting. I don't enjoy crochet as much and am hoping to learn more about knitting finer types of items. Could you guys help point me in the right direction in terms of materials and resources?

Hi there and welcome!

If you can get hold of them via library or however you like, "Traditional Knitted Lace Shawls" by Martha Waterman is a good starter book. My favourite for how and why it works the way it does covers some basic lace to really complex stuff is "Knitting Lace : a workshop with patterns and projects" by Susanna E. Lewis. The basic lace triangle shawls on Ravelry--like 198 yrds. of heaven or the Calais Shawl (ravelry link) can give you an idea of lace patterns. If you could stand doing another scarf, find a lace stitch pattern and make it into a stole. Knitty has an article on the lace sampler--I'd recommend that, cause it's easy to switch to a new lace when you're bored of the stitch you're doing. If you can't stand the thought of knitting another scarf ever, see if there are any cardigans or other wearables you might want that have lace panels.

Materials wise, a lot of the triangle shawls that are one stitch are done in fingering weight. If it's your first lace, it might be easier on you. I've never used Knitpicks lace (though it's super pretty!), but Skacel has some lovely stuff (though it breaks easily and is closer to cobweb). Alpaca lace, like Plymouth's Baby Alpaca Lace, is so soft and nice, but it's really warm and alpaca stretches awful. Wool laces don't slip as much on the needles; silks and cottons slid all over the place.

I go for wood needles cause they have that little extra 'grab' to keep the yarn overs and stuff from sailing off your needle. Addi makes some Lace needles--metal--which some people swear by. I use Knitpicks Harmonies and Prym (metal, coated) because I prefer their texture and grab. Unless you end up working Shetland or Orenburg lace, US 2 - 4 are pretty good for the lace weight yarns, and 6-10 are good for sock weight. That's just for me. It depends on how open you want it to look, and you can't really tell without swatches and blocking.

And have blocking pins! Lace looks like trash if it isn't blocked. It's not hard, just needs some space, pins, and time.

certainsounds
Apr 27, 2008

Fantastic info and exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much! I can't wait to take my first stab at it - I'll post whatever awesomely hysterical lump lace monster I come up with as my first try. :downs:

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void

Wandering Knitter posted:

I just undid six inches of a new scarf because I didn't like how the colors were pooling. Do I have problems? :ohdear:
You think that's insane? I'm about 75% into a Dr. Who scarf, and I've just bought 3 skeins of a completely new green. Once I'm finished? I'm selectively ripping out the old green stripes and reknitting them with the new color. This thing is about 14 feet long. I have lost my everlovin' mind. :gonk:

(In my defense, the green I've been using up until now is both inaccurate and absolutely hideous. Still.)

EDIT:

leishmania! posted:

Fantastic info and exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much! I can't wait to take my first stab at it - I'll post whatever awesomely hysterical lump lace monster I come up with as my first try. :downs:
The most wonderful thing I discovered when I first attempted lace is that it's much easier than it looks. If you can do yarnovers and decreases, you can do lace. Knowing how to "read" your knitting is very helpful ("Why is my stitch count off?" *peers* "Ah, missed a yarnover." *tinktinktink* *fix*). If you don't know how to do that now, you will after a couple of lace projects. Stitch markers are very helpful, as is keeping notes as you work. I usually print out a copy of the pattern and mark off instructions as I complete them.

Izzy fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 25, 2010

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I ordered that knitpicks seasons shawl kit and I'm super excited to make it. :dance:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I hope no one minds me sharing this:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

One pound of fiber--most of it raw--processed and spun for the Tour de Fleece. I crossed the finish sometime yesterday while spinning the white still on the spindle. I have no idea what on earth I'm going to do with this much yarn--my stash is still full of the commercial stuff!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Preeeeeeetty :ohdear:

God I want to go back to spinning, but it's not exactly an affordable hobby.

concreteelephant
Jul 13, 2009
FelicityGS, that yarn is beautiful, I love the red/yellow variegated at the bottom of the picture and the black and white.

I finally finished my (sort of) first cardigan after an epic year of knitting and frogging three separate attempts at a sweater (one of which was completely finished :() and the yarn I used has been through a lot. What do you all use to wash your wool yarn, if you do? I don't want to go out and buy some fancy wool-specific soap or whatever if I can help it, but I think the sweater could do with a cleaning. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Actually google tells me to use shampoo, I'll try that but still leave this here in case anyone has other ideas for future reference.

concreteelephant fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 25, 2010

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

I usually throw in whatever conditioner I have lying around :) Failing that, some kind of baby shampoo.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Shampoo and conditioner are great cleaners. If you use Dawn dish soap, it's also a great cleaner--it's used to cut through all the dirt and grease of a fleece straight off the sheep. Just make sure to get all the soap out whatever you use.

Wandering Knitter and concretelephant, thank you. :)

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I fell in love with a color combination today, in a mulberry/merino blend yarn. It's a hot pink paired with an off-white, almost goldish. Now I need a pattern to combine the two.

I'm thinking a beret/tam style hat, with some colorwork. This is the best I've found so far, and while I'm not in love I'll be happy enough to make it if there's nothing better. It's mostly the fair isle pattern I'm not digging as much; I like less traditional patterns like the Beaumont Tam or Fiddlehead Mitts. Does anyone have any pattern recs for a DK weight yarn? I could probably make it work for a pattern written for worsted weight too.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?

FelicityGS posted:

Shampoo and conditioner are great cleaners. If you use Dawn dish soap, it's also a great cleaner--it's used to cut through all the dirt and grease of a fleece straight off the sheep. Just make sure to get all the soap out whatever you use.

Wandering Knitter and concretelephant, thank you. :)

I know it counts as a "fancy yarn soap" but I like soak because it's a leave-in wash. 1/2 the work and 1/2 the water usage.

FelicityGS, I really like the colorful handspun! The one with the pinks and greens :) Did you dye it? Also, you have a lot of spindles!

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004

Spiteful posted:

How are you managing to get your worsted so gorgeous and even? Im using a lace weight spindle and managing to get DK with slubs galore (also because im using two pet brushes in the place of carders) but its just so perfect :love:

As far as knitting circles go i'm tempted to go to one if I can find one locally but i'd rather go sit with little old ladies because although I may only be 21 I probably have more in common with them :( *goes back to stroking her cats and cackling*

Double post because I missed this from the last page. Thank you so much!

I don't know, to be honest. I just kept going and going and going and the more I spun the better it started looking. I just spun a navajo-ply sock weight in skittle colors and I'm so excited because sock weight was my goal! It's not perfect, but it's still success!

I am also on team "pet brushes instead of carders" but the stuff that looks the best is probably from roving.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

IT HAS BEGUN

(seriously, my husband had to restrain me from trying to spin in the front seat of our classic beetle on the way home)

(squeeee :neckbeard:)

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Oh my goodness! What make is that? It is awesomely pretty!

Also, nice lazy kate.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

FelicityGS, I really like the colorful handspun! The one with the pinks and greens :) Did you dye it? Also, you have a lot of spindles!

Since I had to use just raw fiber, I did. It's based off a colour by a dyer I also have some of--it's not quite the same. I then 'semi carded' it together to go from red/pink to gold to green. And it doesn't feel like a lot! I keep wanting more of weights between what I have or with bigger whorls so I can cram more on and ease of plying.

Amykinz I'm totally jealous. I second questions of make and such like. That's one beautiful wheel, and you're so lucky!

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
the wheel is an Ashford Traveller, and I totally lucked on and found a lady selling it on craigslist for $50! I don't think she remembered what she paid for it...

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Amykinz posted:

the wheel is an Ashford Traveller, and I totally lucked on and found a lady selling it on craigslist for $50! I don't think she remembered what she paid for it...

Holy poo poo! :aaa:

I went to a yarn store that was mostly spinning related over vacation, and I felt like a little girl again. All of those shiny toys that I couldn't have. :smith:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Amykinz posted:

Holy. loving. poo poo. That's insane. Why can't I be that lucky? :smith:

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
Lately my hand has been kind of shooting with pins and needles when I stop knitting after I'd been going for a while. Also I nearly stabbed myself in the eye a few days ago.

SO! This made me curious; ever been injured while knitting?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Robin Sparkles posted:

Lately my hand has been kind of shooting with pins and needles when I stop knitting after I'd been going for a while. Also I nearly stabbed myself in the eye a few days ago.

Not me, but I know a woman who had a crochet hook lodged almost the entire way through her hand.

And not knitting, but any time I go near my handcombs I come away looking like I own a very angry cat. I haven't killed myself on the combs yet.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Robin Sparkles posted:

Stepped on a size 0 needle.

Don't step on a size 0 needle.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Robin Sparkles posted:

Lately my hand has been kind of shooting with pins and needles when I stop knitting after I'd been going for a while.

Pretty sure that's the beginning of carpal tunnel. I got the same thing while hand-sewing 32 snap-halves to 40 caroling costumes for a church choir.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Sex Hobbit posted:

Pretty sure that's the beginning of carpal tunnel. I got the same thing while hand-sewing 32 snap-halves to 40 caroling costumes for a church choir.

Oh well that's comforting :(

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Amykinz posted:

Beautiful wheel - I think they go for upwards of $600 new. :D

In related news, I just accidentally kicked the side of the treadle on my Pioneer and ow ow ow. :derp: I think I have the hang of Navajo plying now though, although I didn't have my single spun thin enough and it came out closer to sport weight.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Robin Sparkles posted:

I did stab myself in the eye once. Don't ask how, I'm just a giant clutz. It wasn't pleasant. Got a scratched cornea for a couple of weeks.

Yarn!
Feb 27, 2010

by T. Finninho

Wandering Knitter posted:

Stepped on a size 0 needle.

Don't step on a size 0 needle.

I've done that, also while knitting on a Transbridge bus I poked my self in the chin with a size 5 bone needle when the bus went over a bus. I bled a lot, and probably traumatized the old lady sitting next to me.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Robin Sparkles posted:

Not me but on TV the other night there was a man who got paralysed as a child when he got thrown on the sofa play-fighting with his brother and a metal knitting needle went through his neck :gonk:
Now that's the definition of "freak accident"

I get ugly knitting callouses sometimes though on my right middle finger.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Yarn! posted:

when the bus went over a bus.

See, a bone needle should be the least of your worries when this happens.

Okay knitters, I'm bringing my decision for hats to you guys. Which should I make, this or this? I would have to take a pattern repeat out of the Selbu to make it work for my yarn, but that should be fine.

The yarn I'd be using is this lovely stuff in Oatmeal and Cherry.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I'm a fan of the Selbu Modern pattern. It looks so pretty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I actually prefer the first pattern, the Karisma.