Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I dont know much aout bike costs just yet, but this pretty much has to be stolen or something right? http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1842707373.html

For those to lazy to click 2009 GSXR1000 with aftermarket exhaust and nitrous system for $3,000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Probably a scam since it is now flagged for removal.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A perfect bike for the new rider!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You say that, but there's a guy in seattle who bought a husky 510 as his first bike. :sigh:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
They're just so hilarious as road bikes. I know a guy in Canberra who used to have one, watching the headlight die when he hit the blinkers is never not funny. But then neither was watching him have some pictures taken for the For Sale ad, one of which was him pulling a monster stoppie.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Some guy is selling an FZ1 for less than 3k because it was vandalized. If only I had three large :sigh:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/1847392126.html

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

redscare posted:

Some guy is selling an FZ1 for less than 3k because it was vandalized. If only I had three large :sigh:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/1847392126.html

It's got a salvage title. That's an instant red flag for me that it's going to take forever to ever sell again. Unless you're going to make it a track bike, in which case I'd say you could probably find a supersport with rashed fairings from being dropped for near the same price.

EDIT - To contribute:

http://collegestation.craigslist.org/mcy/1855530284.html

'05 FZ6 for 2250 with a ding in the tank. Could probably argue that to 2k or below.

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 21, 2010

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

JP Money posted:

It's got a salvage title. That's an instant red flag for me that it's going to take forever to ever sell again.
It's also in Los Angeles, CA. A serious scratch on a fairing gets you a salvage title out here.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
http://binghamton.craigslist.org/mcy/1859687031.html

1972 Suzuki GT380. I'm not a big bike guy but old two strokes always are popular, kind of neat bike.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Once in a great while, the terms mint and rare are warranted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CX650-Turbo-83-MINT-/150471282194?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item2308c98e12

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
I don't think there's a part of that bike that doesn't look totally awesome.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

sklnd posted:

I don't think there's a part of that bike that doesn't look totally awesome.

I've had the pleasure of riding one and it is an excellent motorcycle. It's hilariously underpowered and hilariously overpowered all at the same time, completely absurd. It makes me wish we had more turbo motorcycles. :(

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
80's Hondas are the best bikes

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Investing $1500 in a 1700-mile Yamaha TW200, this time in a 2000 model, last year of dual e-start and kickstart (yay!) and drum brake. Drum. :(

Second TW200 I will have owned.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MotoMind posted:

Investing $1500 in a 1700-mile Yamaha TW200, this time in a 2000 model, last year of dual e-start and kickstart (yay!) and drum brake. Drum. :(

Second TW200 I will have owned.

Jealous, they're so few and far between on the local CL here, and people always want so much for them.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Jealous, they're so few and far between on the local CL here, and people always want so much for them.

Well that was premature. The assclown brought it up from Atascadero and not only did his son drain the battery trying to start it, but then I told him to get off and I was unable to bring it to life with the kickstarter. His son had slightly more luck by wailing on it like it was a two-stroke, and tore off into the parking lot to warm it up. As soon as he got back I killed it, and again it failed to start using normal 4-stroke starting technique. I didn't even bother to ride it.

The fact that the end of the stock exhaust had been hacked off and replaced by an aftermarket alum endcap didn't help matters, topped off by the owner saying that he repacked it 3 months ago. Repacked a baffle-type exhaust. :psyduck: EPA emissions octopus was still in place, and the bike no doubt hadn't been rejetted.

Worth maybe $1200 in that condition; would be fine a carb clean and rejet later but I'm tired of nursing bikes.

If anyone's interested, here it is: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/1850626860.html

The guy seems honest enough, and the bike is pretty shiny. Good buy for someone who wants to wrench a little.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 25, 2010

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

http://salem.craigslist.org/mcy/1798023614.html

I just, I uh, I don't even know what to say about this.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Motor: 1971 German made 2000cc Pinto engine..completely gone through...all new bearings, bushings, head professionally gone through...most all parts new..starter, fuel pump, etc.
Tranny: Ford C-3 automatic
Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fenders,Sissy bar, Running Boards, etc....custom hand made...over-engineered if anything...
Gas tank: Modified 7-gallon tank from 1941 John Deere tractor
Lights: Headlight from 1937 Ford dump truck...tail lights- custom housings w/ repro 59 Caddy lenses
Headers: Hand made 4-1 w/ large glasspack muffler.
Length: 13 1/2 feet
Appx weight: 770

Apart from the engine (which is fairly revvy and responsive) and the gearbox (similar adjectives), that spec sheet doesn't look too far away from a Harley catalogue.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Ola posted:

Appx weight: 770

Yeah, sure. I don't think "approximately" means what this guy thinks it means. I have no doubt that thing can tip a scale to 770lbs, but only if you don't put the entire bike on the scale.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

frozenphil posted:

Yeah, sure. I don't think "approximately" means what this guy thinks it means. I have no doubt that thing can tip a scale to 770lbs, but only if you don't put the entire bike on the scale.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe he forgot a leading 1.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

To be fair to him, he's not specifying the unit of weight.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
This was posted on a meetup message board that I'm a member of. A lady was asking for suggestions on a good beginner bike since she's about to take her MSF course. Her husband rides a Harley, but neither of them are obnoxious about it.

BeginnerLady said:
""I am looking for a good starter bike. Would like a bike that is at least a 750. Budget can be between $1200-$1500. Could be more if I find something irresistible. I trust the people I ride with and would like some help getting a good bike. You can email me at nameremoved@hotmail.com if you find or know of something. Thank you.""

Not bad, right? She's a bit older, has been riding pillion for a few years now, and has a bit of an idea how this stuff works. She's not looking to hop right on a huge Harley. Most 750 cruisers or standards would be pretty tame for a new rider, while still letting her comfortably ride around town and on some trips through the countryside.

What could go wrong? Oh, yeah ..... That Guy decided to show up. But it's not what you'd expect to see from a board filled with mostly cruiser riders.

That Guy said:
""It will be difficult to find a lower mileage bike in decent shape for less than $3500. It is likely that a $1500 bike is going to need tires, chain & sprockets, fork & headset bearing work, brake pads, and expensive valve adjustment...You can expect to spend another grand minimum to make the bike safe.

For your budget the best bike to look for is a BMW. Most BMW people are anal about service and maintenance, and 80k miles on a BMW or Moto Guzzi is still a bike with alot of miles left. A Japanese bike with 80k miles (Goldwing excluded) is usually trashed, and Harley prices are too high for your budget. A shaft drive is much quieter and easier to own, chains need regular cleaning and lubrication. Chain adjustment is also wheel alignment, so it must be done perfectly.

BMW and Guzzi are much lighter and more nimble than Harleys. My 750 Guzzi weighs only 420 lbs, a Harley with similar horsepower can be 600 or more, and the Brembo brakes are much better than Harley brakes. Can you pick up a 600 lb motorcycle? Both Guzzi and BMW are police bikes in Europe. They deliver smooth power and nimble handling in the city, and low speed (parking lot) maneuvers are super easy.

On the highway they are very stable, and are designed for comfortable 8 hr workdays in the saddle for 150k miles or more. Air cooled twins like these need very little maintenance, oil/filter and simple cheap valve adjustments is about it. Most BMW's also have wheel stands, not kick stands, that make service and tire changing much easier, especially at the side of the road.

Try not to let the Harley image cloud your judgment. Smart, safe, and practical for your budget is a BMW. Please feel free to contact me if I can help out in any way.""

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Ola posted:

To be fair to him, he's not specifying the unit of weight.

Obviously he's measuring in Incredibly Fat Babies.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

This was posted on a meetup message board that I'm a member of.

To be honest, there's some good advice in there. Too many people think a harley is the end all be all of cruisers. Along with the douchey stereotype it brings. Also he at least brought up the maintenance that a lot of bikes need and that noone ever considers when they blindly buy a bike.

The dude is obviously a bmw fan, but you can't fault him for pimping what he knows really. I'd SO much rather have someone like this advising a new rider to buy smart and think about it rather than go drop 20k on a new harley because "they ain't no jap piece of poo poo."

That being said, for her budget the only bmw she'd find would be beyond repair with the prices they fetch.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Or you could buy any japanese cruiser for 3500$ with low mileage and have a perfectly reliable bike. :iiam:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Or you could buy any japanese cruiser for 3500$ with low mileage and have a perfectly reliable bike. :iiam:

BBBBBBBut Japanese bikes are trashed by 5,000 miles.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

BBBBBBBut Japanese bikes are trashed by 5,000 miles.

Asian soft metal wonders.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

frozenphil posted:

I'll venture a guess that given Ola's geographic location, we're talkin kilos here.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

redscare posted:

I'll venture a guess that given Ola's geographic location, we're talkin kilos here.
Except that he copied it from a Salem, MA Craigslist ad.

Internet_Wwwyzzerdd
Aug 4, 2008

by T. Finn
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/1865430824.html

The coolest cruiser ever in my book.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Valks sound awesome with a nice (read: not wide open) exhaust on them. Same for Goldwings actually.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

quote:

2003 MZ Baghira 660 Supermoto - $2900 OBO

This is a stock supermoto ready to ride for the summer. Recent maintenance includes: oil and filter, air filter service, new battery, new tires (~750 miles). This has been my 'second bike' for five years and I haven't been riding as much so it's time to go. Adult owned, never raced or abused.

It is currently set up for the street (Dunlop Sportmax tires) but could easily do dual-sport duty with new tires (like Dunlop D607).

Included are a Shad Top Case (hard luggage), OEM exhaust (currently M4), OEM grab rails, extra rear sproket, and a few other parts.

Engine and transmission
Displacement: 660.00 ccm (40.27 cubic inches)
Engine type: Single cylinder
Power: 37.00 HP (27.0 kW)) @ 6500 RPM
Torque: 57.00 Nm (5.8 kgf-m or 42.0 ft.lbs) @ 5250 RPM
Dry weight: 180.0 kg (396.8 pounds)
Seat height: 900 mm (35.4 inches) If adjustable, lowest setting.
Front tyre dimensions: 120/70-17
Rear tyre dimensions: 160/60-17
Fuel capacity: 12.50 litres (3.30 gallons)
Reserve fuel capacity: 2.50 litres (0.66 gallons)

God, that's sex.

Oct 7, 2005
Here's one that you might like in Manhattan, IL

1960 Honda 350 for $250.00 in the green that everyone seems to like.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/mcy/1867989068.html

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Death wish anyone?

http://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/1866716659.html

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Scrapez posted:

Death wish anyone?

http://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/1866716659.html

Not for 500 dollars.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

JP Money posted:

Not for 500 dollars.

Not for 1 dollar for me. That thing is a death trap. And no suspension? I remember riding a mini bike like that with like a 5 horse briggs and about breaking my back on the slightest of bumps.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
This seems too good to be true.

http://northmiss.craigslist.org/mcy/1867480235.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Paytizzle posted:

Good condition. It has little over 33,600 on mileage. The tank is blue. If interested please call or text 662-419-7226.

Most random detail to include, considering that the tank is clearly visible in 3/4 photos.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Z3n posted:

Good condition. It has little over 33,600 on mileage. The tank is blue. If interested please call or text 662-419-7226.

Most random detail to include, considering that the tank is clearly visible in 3/4 photos.

Yeah, but this is Mississippi. I expect weird poo poo like that. I called. They said the front brakes are disconnected, needs an oil change, and has a "small gas leak". THe latter turns me off, but i might still try and lowball them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Paytizzle posted:

What's too good to be true about a $600 '84 Yamaha that needs a bunch of work? Do you mean too good to be true for the seller if he gets that much?