Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pandora and the Flying Dutchman reviewed :aaa:
Home reviewed

Kino continues their inexorable march upward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Is Pandora and the Flying Dutchman worth seeing? I hear mixed things.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Comfortador posted:

I disagree, the more CGI the worse that movie would have been. Example, the "freddy through the wall" scene, the flying body scene as well. Everytime effects were used it looked horrible.

Well the effects were both unimaginative in design, and poor in execution. With good design AND good execution, I think a talented director could have really made something interesting from an Elm St remake. Or hell, even good design and execution of practical effects. That was certainly not what we got though.

Neo_Reloaded fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 24, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

penismightier posted:

Is Pandora and the Flying Dutchman worth seeing? I hear mixed things.

I love it and think it's a terribly under-appreciated classic, but I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

September 14 horror wave from Fox/MGM:
The Amityville Horror ('05)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers ('78)
The Return of the Living Dead

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Watching the new Gladiator blu-ray right now. This is so much better looking then the previous one and actually looks like a proper blu-ray this time.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

I had never heard of Home but liked those screens. Anybody here seen it?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At last, Amélie seems to have finally gotten a solid Blu-Ray release (from Alliance Canada). It's 1080p, has English subs, and contains the following extras:

- Audio Commentaries with Jean Pierre Jeunet (English and French)
- The Look of Amelie
- Fantasies of Audrey Tautou
- Screen Tests
- Q&A with Director Jean-Pierre Jeunet
- Q&A with Director and Cast
- Storyboard Comparison
- An Intimate Chat with Jean-Pierre Jeunet
- "Home Movies" Inside the Making Of Amelie
- Trailer and TV Spots

Import away!

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
Is there any reason not to get a cheap BD-ROM for my laptop and use it as a player? It has an HDMI port. I could plug that into an HDTV, right?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Skeletron posted:

Is there any reason not to get a cheap BD-ROM for my laptop and use it as a player? It has an HDMI port. I could plug that into an HDTV, right?

You'll need a software player if the drive doesn't come with one (and the ones that do usually have to be upgraded to a new version that costs money). WinDVD, Arcsoft or PowerDVD are your only choices. That's an extra $40-80. Most of the problems have been worked out of the software players. So that's no problem anymore. I have a LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray drive in my computer which I feed to my HDTV via HDMI with Arcsoft's player.

Also make sure your computer is powerful enough to do Blu-Ray playback before buying the drive.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 24, 2010

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!
Are either of the Predator discs worth picking up, or had I might as well just stick with my DVD copy for the time being?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

At last, Amélie seems to have finally gotten a solid Blu-Ray release (from Alliance Canada). It's 1080p, has English subs, and contains the following extras:

- Audio Commentaries with Jean Pierre Jeunet (English and French)
- The Look of Amelie
- Fantasies of Audrey Tautou
- Screen Tests
- Q&A with Director Jean-Pierre Jeunet
- Q&A with Director and Cast
- Storyboard Comparison
- An Intimate Chat with Jean-Pierre Jeunet
- "Home Movies" Inside the Making Of Amelie
- Trailer and TV Spots

Import away!

I'm glad to see that it carries over all the extras from the double-disc DVD. I think I'll wait to see some reviews first, though.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No screens yet but all reports are very positive so far. Only issue seems to be that the subs are hard-coded, but I can't see why this would be a concern for 99% of folks.

City of God was also just released in Canada. It's 1080p and apparently presented in its OAR as well, which is atypical for Alliance. Just ordered both titles, will post a trip report when I get 'em.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
City of God? Oh gently caress yes.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I've been on the hunt for Memento on Blu Ray, that said I can barely find anyone willing to ship to Australia, let alone figure out whether there is a region 2/B Australian release (Aussie PS3 here)

I've heard some blu rays are region free, can anyone confirm if this is the case with memento? Or if indeed there is a memento blu ray out in europe/australia that I can get?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
US release is region free. Just get it on Amazon.
http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Details.php?ifb=Memento_43396154162

Not a great disc. Decent DVD upgrade though.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
Nice. Thanks, Sporadic. I just ordered a BD-ROM. I think I'm going to pickup The Seventh Seal and Baraka to start with.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Well the effects were both unimaginative in design, and poor in execution. With good design AND good execution, I think a talented director could have really made something interesting from an Elm St remake. Or hell, even good design and execution of practical effects. That was certainly not what we got though.

Thats true, I was visualizing it in the context of how they used the CGI they already had, instead of imagining what could have been done.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Crumb reviewed

Criterion also says to expect Pandora's Box and The Passion of Joan of Arc on BD next year.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

doctor thodt posted:

Crumb reviewed

Pre-ordered. I had the laserdisk of this for years. My favorite documentary about one of my favorite artists. The bonus material will be great to see.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So help me out here, since I don't really follow the importing scene. Do we pretty much have to wait for this to be released before we know if it's region-free? And, if it IS region free, are the non-HD extras likely to be in PAL anyway? Because I NEEEEEED this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Future-Trilogy-Limited-Collectors-Blu-ray/dp/B003U5UQCE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1280121490&sr=1-1

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

OldSenileGuy posted:

So help me out here, since I don't really follow the importing scene. Do we pretty much have to wait for this to be released before we know if it's region-free? And, if it IS region free, are the non-HD extras likely to be in PAL anyway? Because I NEEEEEED this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Future-Trilogy-Limited-Collectors-Blu-ray/dp/B003U5UQCE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1280121490&sr=1-1
It's coming out in the US on the same day.

http://www.amazon.com/Back-Future-Anniversary-Trilogy-Digital/dp/B00198X0UO

Unless it's the tin you're talking about.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
OF COURSE IT'S THE TIN BUTTHEAD

DO YOU THINK I WOULD BE SATISFIED WITH ANYTHING LESS THAN THE ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S TIN

MAYBE YOU SHOULD MAKE LIKE A TREE AND GET OUTTA HERE

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
WHY DIDN'T I REFRESH FIRST gently caress

OldSenileGuy posted:

OF COURSE IT'S THE TIN BUTTHEAD

DO YOU THINK I WOULD BE SATISFIED WITH ANYTHING LESS THAN THE ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S TIN

MAYBE YOU SHOULD MAKE LIKE A TREE AND GET OUTTA HERE

Look up some Universal UK releases and see if they have a track record of being jackasses with region locking/PAL SD extras.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 26, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apocalypse Now 10/19

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4914

quote:

Lionsgate President and Co-Chief Operating Officer Steve Beeks and filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola announced today that Lionsgate and American Zoetrope have entered into a multi-year home entertainment distribution agreement (including Blu-ray). The first title released as part of the deal was Coppola latest film, Tetro; the next one will be the renowned and award-winning war film Apocalypse Now, scheduled for Blu-ray release on October 19.

With new transfers supervised directly by Coppola, Apocalypse Now will come out in two deluxe editions: the 2-Film Set, and the 3-disc Full Disclosure Edition. The 2-Film Set will include both Apocalypse Now - The 1979 Cut and Apocalypse Now Redux and will also include over nine hours of special features. The Full Disclosure Edition will add the seminal making-of documentary Hearts of Darkness, a 48-page collectible booklet and storyboard, photo and marketing archives.

"We are thrilled to be in business with Francis Ford Coppola, one of the greatest filmmakers of our time," said Beeks. "Having directed, produced and written some of the most financially successful and critically acclaimed movies in U.S. cinematic history, Coppola is one of the masters of modern cinema. We are honored to add a selection of his most renowned and personal works to our library and look forward to releasing these titles on all formats."

"With their expertise in the home entertainment marketplace, we consider Lionsgate to be the perfect partner to distribute some of my most enduring films," said Coppola. "We are excited to be collaborating with them and hope to continue to enthrall our existing fans while also reaching a whole new audience for these films by presenting them in the highest quality format available along with exceptional in-depth special features."

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

doctor thodt posted:

Apocalypse Now 10/19

"With new transfers supervised directly by Coppola..."

For gently caress's sake, maybe he'll wake up and do it right and we'll get 2.4:1 this time.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

I said come in! posted:

Watching the new Gladiator blu-ray right now. This is so much better looking then the previous one and actually looks like a proper blu-ray this time.

Stupid phone number to call for the exchange just tells me that some mailbox is full. Guess I have to wait a few more days damnit!

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I thought WB was over their $50 trinket boxes. :sigh:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
That information's nothing really new from what was posted in this thread at the beginning of last month:

FitFortDanga posted:

The Digital Bits posted:

Warner has now officially announced The Goonies: 25th Anniversary Collector's Edition on DVD and Blu-ray for release on 11/2 (SRP $39.92 and $49.99). Special features on both versions will include cast commentary with director Richard Donner and all seven actors, The Making of The Goonies documentary, Cyndi Lauper The Goonies 'R Good Enough music video, deleted scenes and the theatrical trailer. So not much new on the disc itself, other than the new HD transfer and 5.1 lossless audio. However, the packaging will include "an exciting new board game, collectible storyboard prints, a 1985 souvenir magazine with captivating behind-the-scenes stories about the actual filming in Astoria, Oregon, including the production design that transformed Astoria into the "Goon Docks," and a reprint of a 2009 article with updates of the entire cast, as well as producer Steven Spielberg and director Richard Donner."

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

doctor thodt posted:

Apocalypse Now 10/19

I involuntarily clenched my teeth, that's how excited I got when I saw this post. :v: Jesus loving christ, October is a treasure trove of releases.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A Prophet reviewed

The Secret in Their Eyes 9/21

Sony is killing it with these releases. That's 3 of the 5 foreign language nominees, including The White Ribbon (Kino is releasing Ajami next month and The Milk of Sorrow has no Blu-Ray planned as of yet).

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

The Milk of Sorrow has no Blu-Ray planned as of yet

:sigh: my favorite of the nominees

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
IGN reports that both versions of Apocalypse Now will be presented in 2.35:1. Of course, anything Blu-Ray related from IGN should be taken with a grain of salt, but this would be incredible if true.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

doctor thodt posted:

I cannot wait for this, especially having the documentary in high def too.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

doctor thodt posted:

IGN reports that both versions of Apocalypse Now will be presented in 2.35:1. Of course, anything Blu-Ray related from IGN should be taken with a grain of salt, but this would be incredible if true.

I highly doubt that will happen. Crazy rear end Vittorio Storaro wrote a letter a few months back about how he supervised the HD transfer and how it was the greatest thing ever and how they shouldn't crop it down to 1:78:1 because 2:1 is the perfect ratio and how Francis Ford Coppola approved of it too and :downswords: :downswords: :downswords:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sporadic posted:

I highly doubt that will happen. Crazy rear end Vittorio Storaro wrote a letter a few months back about how he supervised the HD transfer and how it was the greatest thing ever and how they shouldn't crop it down to 1:78:1 because 2:1 is the perfect ratio and how Francis Ford Coppola approved of it too and :downswords: :downswords: :downswords:

Yeah, I remember, but they went out of their way to mention the aspect ratio:

quote:

Lionsgate has given us the scoop on the HD debut of Francis Ford Coppola's critically acclaimed masterpiece...

...Cinephiles will be especially pleased to note that both the original 1979 theatrical version and the recut Apocalypse Now Redux will be presented for the first time on home video in their original theatrical aspect ratios (2.35:1).

Again, IGN is usually a terrible source of information when it comes to Blu-Ray stuff, so I'll remain skeptical until I see an official spec sheet from Lionsgate.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I won't hold my breath but that would be awesome. I've never even seen it in 2.35:1.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I loved that letter, it had all the hallmarks of a crazy blog post.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Piranha reviewed, with requisite boobies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I like how New World/Shout Factory and Troma are putting the majors to shame with their remasters. Not demo material, but they simply leave the source alone. It's so simple.

Watched Black Narcissus tonight... first time seeing the film and it's magnificent. Great film, beautiful photography, and the remaster is nearly perfect. I can't wait to see The Red Shoes again... just from skimming a few bits, it's flawless.

Also worth pointing out that the trailers on both discs are 1080p remastered. Nice touch - usually trailers are kept from ugly 480i masters.

• Locked thread