Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.

HondaCivet posted:

That's normal, they're in a totally new place and are kinda nervous. If you can catch them, it might be better to put them in a quiet spare room or, failing that, a bedroom or bathroom for awhile. In that type of space, they are alone so they can get over their shyness faster, have fewer places to hide and less space to get lost in. Feel free to let them out once they get acclimated but you might want to leave the litter box and move it in steps to its new spot so they don't lose it.

ps your title intrigues and disturbs me

Title is just from a funny song by a band I don't like. It was in a youtube video I thought was funny.

Flynn is the tiger striped one, and Bathasar is the long haired grey you cant see because he is hiding behind Flynn.

Flynn ate some wet food, but they still havent used the litter box or drank anything while we were gone for about an hour. We picked them both up and pet them a little and put them in their litter boxes so hopefully they know what to do when they're ready. They were litter trained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

The Light Eternal posted:

Welp I met some kittens at the vet today and fell in love, they are two brothers approximately 12 weeks old and are awesome. Unfortunately I have to switch their food right away because the vet was feeding them some kind of weird food I can't find, but otherwise everything is going well. They are in the bathroom and both took to the food and litter right away, although the grey one tracked poop everywhere. He did clean it off his paws all by himself.

Uh, go buy the food at the vet, they have it, guaranteed. Seriously, you'll give them terrible diarrhea. It needs to be gradual.

Bellmeistr
Jul 2, 2007

Prince Reggie K posted:

Title is just from a funny song by a band I don't like. It was in a youtube video I thought was funny.

Mindless Self Indulgence is an awesome band. :colbert:

Your terrible taste in music aside, do you have someplace to keep the cats where they can hide/feel safe, but you can get to them easily? We sectioned off our kitchen for the first week we had our kittens so they wouldn't be able to get someplace we couldn't reach (like under the couch) and slowly acclimate to our apartment. You can leave their carriers out and open as well so they have someplace to feel safe that isn't hard to get to.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

RheaConfused posted:

Uh, go buy the food at the vet, they have it, guaranteed. Seriously, you'll give them terrible diarrhea. It needs to be gradual.

Eh, to be honest, I switched my cats' food cold turkey (from shelter food in one case and from Ultramix in the other, to BB Wilderness) and it took them a couple of days to warm up to the new food, but their poop was fine. I think we sometimes overstate the issue here. That said, making sure they get plenty of water & giving them some canned pumpkin mixed with wet food might make their transition smoother.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Well we went off to get ourselves a couple of kittens from the rescue centre today and have come back with an absolutely gorgeous pair of girls.

A little timid to start with and gave us quite a scare early on when they escaped behind a cabinet in the kitchen, which when explored further was discovered to have a hole to underneath the house in it... ERK!

Thankfully they didn't get far and we still have two kitties. However I must say that they are proving quite difficult to name. Right now they only have the placeholder names of Black and Brown.

Take a look for yourself, see if there are any suggestions for names you can think of.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

RheaConfused posted:

I called the vet today. They only had the kittens for a week before I adopted them & they were fed two different kinds of food. I got them Evo Chicken & Turkey- I feed my cat BB Wilderness now but I think the pellets are a bit big for kittens to handle. Anyway so far their poop has been pretty normal (aka extremely smelly) and I haven't noticed anything off. I will grab some canned pumpkin just in case though.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

The Light Eternal posted:

I called the vet today. They only had the kittens for a week before I adopted them & they were fed two different kinds of food. I got them Evo Chicken & Turkey- I feed my cat BB Wilderness now but I think the pellets are a bit big for kittens to handle. Anyway so far their poop has been pretty normal (aka extremely smelly) and I haven't noticed anything off. I will grab some canned pumpkin just in case though.

Kitten poop always stinks like hell. They will get less stinky as they get older, don't worry. :)

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

HondaCivet posted:

Kitten poop always stinks like hell. They will get less stinky as they get older, don't worry. :)

And don't we know it!!!

One of our new arrivals (see Tsietisin's post above - I'm his girlfriend) decided to grace our rug in the lounge with a brown present! We know she can use the litter tray as we saw her using it earlier in the evening. Ah well, accidents happen!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Tsietisin posted:

Take a look for yourself, see if there are any suggestions for names you can think of.

Meowmud Ahmadenicat and Meowmar Kattafi.

Yeah there's a reason my parents never let me name the pets.

EDIT: For no reason, here's a picture of Chairman Meow spooning Fidel Catstro

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 23, 2010

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Eh, to be honest, I switched my cats' food cold turkey (from shelter food in one case and from Ultramix in the other, to BB Wilderness) and it took them a couple of days to warm up to the new food, but their poop was fine. I think we sometimes overstate the issue here. That said, making sure they get plenty of water & giving them some canned pumpkin mixed with wet food might make their transition smoother.

I don't think we really overstate the issue so much as sometimes there are some pets who do just fine without a long transition (like yours; mine were cool too with it), but so many don't that it's just a good rule of thumb to take it slowly if you have no idea whether your pets do well with quick changes or not.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Fire In The Disco posted:

I don't think we really overstate the issue so much as sometimes there are some pets who do just fine without a long transition (like yours; mine were cool too with it), but so many don't that it's just a good rule of thumb to take it slowly if you have no idea whether your pets do well with quick changes or not.

True. I think the post I quoted overstated the issue, then ;)

I never posted an intro for him, so to make this post less (more?) catty, here is my new buddy Rupert:

He loves snuggles and tummy rubs, so much that if you get anywhere near a bed he runs up and beats you to it, ready to cuddle into the crook of your arm (or better yet, between two people) for tummy rubs. He also has a meow like a squeaky door. We didn't recognize it as a meow at first. It is weird but he is cute. He also likes headbutts. He and my other cat Toby are getting along well, although sadly there hasn't been actual snuggling between them yet. Maybe in winter :D

ladyofshallnot
Nov 11, 2008
My partner and I moved to Korea, and decided against bringing any cats over. We went to the shelter today to inquire about adopting, and after a very brief question and answer came home with two eight week old kittens. We could have taken home two four week old brothers, but I was uncomfortable taking them away from veterinary care even if they didn't have a mother.

We think Eddie and The Dude are brothers, though Eddie is a little bit bigger ('wide' the vet told us, and we're not sure what was lost in translation there). They're both currently asleep on the shoes, and we just had some questions and concerns.

Both of them have eaten something, though Dude more than Eddie did. We were warned that they both might have a little bit of diarrhea, and Dude's stool was quite runny - and also out of the litter box, my fault for leaving dirt in the shoe nook. Both boys have eye gunk and what we figure are kitty eye colds. IS the eye gunk something that should be cleaned ASAP, or can it wait until they're more comfortable being handled? Dude rode all the way home carried by my partner, but Eddie had to ride in a box because he's very nervous. (Also a lesson learned: the Korean attitude towards pet transportation is very...casual)

We strongly suspect these are rescued feral kittens, as isn't at all unusual in Korea. Right now we're giving them as much space as possible from us, but unfortunately the main room of our apartment is the only one with Air Con. If we put them in the bathroom or a smaller spare room, I'd be very worried about the temperature getting too high for their comfort. Any tips for getting them comfortably socialized? Dude is very energetic already, though he won't come close enough to pick up - he's been running around in circles almost since he got home. It took Eddie awhile to come out of his box, and now he's sort of passed out behind a sneaker.

Our veterinarian is in our neighborhood, and has experience with both English speakers and cats. We'll be taking the kittens in to be looked at tomorrow or the next day, depending on how they're getting on and how much stress it would be to them. Right now, we're feeding them the highest quality cat food we can find in Korea, which is Royal Canin. We're feeding them the 1 - 4 month kitten recipe.

Sorry for the long post with no pictures, we're going to brandish the camera at them once they figure out that we're on their side.

EDIT: And Eddie just threw up (that wasn't my shooooeeeeee) - nervousness, the change in food? He's aware of his surroundings and reacts, if meanly. No apparent problems breathing, just the eye gook and the vomiting. We will be going to the vet tomorrow, but is there anything we can do to help him tonight? There is a can of wet food, though I have no idea what to think of Pukupuku brand cat food.

EDIT EDIT: Ffffffffff. Another lesson learned about Korean Animal Shelters. I can't really be angry because it's a shelter, but I am kind of pissed. We looked up our Vet's hours and took them both in. Vet dude at the shelter told us they were healthy, but turns out Eddie had Kitty Parvo. Our vet, Dr. Cha, is keeping him for treatment, but has warned us that the outlook is probably not good. Dude has some eyedrops and got a shot, but his appetite is fine and he's running around like a hooligan so we got to bring him home; the vet looked at his feces and said 'nothing special,' which made him feel less like a unique snowflake. Fingers crossed for both of them.

ladyofshallnot fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jul 23, 2010

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Eggplant Wizard posted:

True. I think the post I quoted overstated the issue, then ;)

It's all anecdotal. Just because it didn't happen to you doesn't mean it won't happen to them. Every time I tried to change my cat's food cold turkey they got terrible diarrhea. So, I don't think it's overstating the issue. It's better to do what you can to avoid the diarrhea than to do something that has pretty good odds at causing it. I've had people return cats and kittens to the clinic where I work more times than I can say because "Ew they have terrible poops and they get all over my floor!!!"

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

RheaConfused posted:

It's all anecdotal. Just because it didn't happen to you doesn't mean it won't happen to them.

RheaConfused posted:

Just because it happened to you doesn't mean it WILL happen to them. All I said was I thought your post was "overstated," not "totally false." I prefer to use the subjunctive "They may have pretty nasty diarrhea if you do that, so if it happens try x and y to deal with it if you really can't find the food." The poster was obviously aware of the issue, so I didn't want him/her to feel like a terrible person without cause. Fair?

Let's hug. :glomp:

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
Last november I asked some questions about moving a cat only 5 hours, the issue being I had 2 cats and we had to drive them in a crate they hated.

I'm now moving 1800 miles in 2 days time. Which equates to 2 12 hour days. We've started trying to find larger size crates (than your normal vet ones) so we can train them but are surprised at how much they can cost. We've also considered leash training them so that when we stop halfway each day we can walk them around, pretty much google for crate training cats includes people saying "yep it can be done" with some pretty vague information.

Both cats are full-grown (8 yrs and 3 yrs) and normal size orange tabby.

Is it necessary to buy larger crates, and should we include litter-boxes in those crates? How they hell do you crate train and leash train a cat?

Kitty pictures to complete it:

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
There's a thread right on this page that talks about moving with cats. I told my tale there.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Just because it happened to you doesn't mean it WILL happen to them. All I said was I thought your post was "overstated," not "totally false." I prefer to use the subjunctive "They may have pretty nasty diarrhea if you do that, so if it happens try x and y to deal with it if you really can't find the food." The poster was obviously aware of the issue, so I didn't want him/her to feel like a terrible person without cause. Fair?

yep :glomp:

man I have worked like 60 hours this week and have to go in tomorrow so I'm harsh to the world lately.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
Jesus, last time I was told it was inhumane to sedate a cat. Now I'm being told the opposite.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I personally wouldn't sedate a cat for traveling. I have heard too many horror stories of cats having terrible, terrible reactions to sedatives, and being out on the road without a reputable vet nearby...yeah, no thanks.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Fire In The Disco posted:

I personally wouldn't sedate a cat for traveling. I have heard too many horror stories of cats having terrible, terrible reactions to sedatives, and being out on the road without a reputable vet nearby...yeah, no thanks.

Agreed. This is definitely why I wouldn't do it.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

The kittens names are now Penn and Teller (cat Teller tries to meow but nothing comes out). Anyway I called the vet and found out that they only had the kittens for 4 days before we got them, not really worth feeding them lovely food they weren't even used to yet. Plus their poops have been perfectly solid and stinky. Maybe a little on the soft side cause Penn keeps getting poo poo on his back paw. Gonna try the canned pumpkin and see how it works.

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

I have kind of a good problem to have.

My cat is too affectionate. He's needy. He is very insistent on lap/petting/cuddle time. While I like this aspect most of the time, when it goes on for over an hour and I need to get things done or else he sits and meows in anguish, I'm thinking there might be a problem.

Without being a total jerk, how can I convince my cat to be a bit more independent?

Edit: And yes, he follows me into every room. If I'm in the bedroom, he's on my pillow. If I'm in the bathroom, he's right there with me. He needs constant visual contact to know my whereabouts at all times.

Kobalt fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 24, 2010

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006
Since we adopted a kitten, our older cat is slowly getting used to him. She still hisses when he's around, but they're no longer afraid to be in the same room together. Having the both of them play with a laser pointer while in the same room seems to have helped.

Two questions though:
- The kitten has been using both litter boxes we have, no longer leaving the older cat with her own litter box. She seems reluctant to use them now. Is this something we should be worried about?
- Also, the older cat seems hell-bent on eating some of the kitten's food. Is this a dominance thing? And, should we just let her, so that hierarchies can be established, or should we try to stop her from doing this?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Sumadartson posted:

Two questions though:
- The kitten has been using both litter boxes we have, no longer leaving the older cat with her own litter box. She seems reluctant to use them now. Is this something we should be worried about?
- Also, the older cat seems hell-bent on eating some of the kitten's food. Is this a dominance thing? And, should we just let her, so that hierarchies can be established, or should we try to stop her from doing this?
You could get another litter box (the ideal rule is number of boxes = number of cats + 1), but they're probably going to have to get used to sharing eventually. Mosts cats just get over it eventually.

She is eating the kitten food because it is delicious. Not a dominance thing. Kitten food is usually just a little higher in protein and fat than adult food, so unless she's a huge fatty, it won't hurt her to snack on some kitten food.

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

Crooked Booty posted:

You could get another litter box (the ideal rule is number of boxes = number of cats + 1), but they're probably going to have to get used to sharing eventually. Mosts cats just get over it eventually.

She is eating the kitten food because it is delicious. Not a dominance thing. Kitten food is usually just a little higher in protein and fat than adult food, so unless she's a huge fatty, it won't hurt her to snack on some kitten food.

Ok, good to know, thanks for the reassurance. She seems to be eating it so angrily though.

Now, meta-:3:, or, Hello Kitty kitty.

And, the stand-off.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Kobalt posted:

I have kind of a good problem to have.

My cat is too affectionate. He's needy. He is very insistent on lap/petting/cuddle time. While I like this aspect most of the time, when it goes on for over an hour and I need to get things done or else he sits and meows in anguish, I'm thinking there might be a problem.

Without being a total jerk, how can I convince my cat to be a bit more independent?

Edit: And yes, he follows me into every room. If I'm in the bedroom, he's on my pillow. If I'm in the bathroom, he's right there with me. He needs constant visual contact to know my whereabouts at all times.

If you can get a companion for him that would probably help. I have one like this and getting another kitty really helped, although there are still some times when he pet-rapes us. (I DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU ARE DOING I WILL RAM MY HEAD INTO YOUR ARM/HAND/HEAD/SIDE UNTIL YOU PET ME)

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

RheaConfused posted:

If you can get a companion for him that would probably help. I have one like this and getting another kitty really helped, although there are still some times when he pet-rapes us. (I DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU ARE DOING I WILL RAM MY HEAD INTO YOUR ARM/HAND/HEAD/SIDE UNTIL YOU PET ME)

Seconding this. Getting him someone to play with and pay attention to him will help out.

On a related note, yesterday I witnessed for the first time Toby and Rupert snuggling :3::3::3: Rupert gave Toby a bath and then Toby went to sleep on Rupert. They have only been roomies for a month and a half so I am very pleased :3:

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

I have a question about the number of sires and dames a cat breeder should have. My cat is 13 years old and while she is still virile and healthy, the fact is that eventually she will pass away. My husband, who is allergic to cats, said he would consider getting a Sphynx cat after she passes as long as he can spend extended time around a few to see how much of a reaction he has: if it is low we may get one. After looking at several catteries online, I noticed many of them have several males and females they use to breed. I have also found one that only has one pair of parents. I just worry that having so many cats to breed screams "mill" despite what their descriptions say, and wonder how breeders can take care of five to twelve adult cats at a time.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Opera Bitch posted:

I have a question about the number of sires and dames a cat breeder should have. My cat is 13 years old and while she is still virile and healthy, the fact is that eventually she will pass away. My husband, who is allergic to cats, said he would consider getting a Sphynx cat after she passes as long as he can spend extended time around a few to see how much of a reaction he has: if it is low we may get one. After looking at several catteries online, I noticed many of them have several males and females they use to breed. I have also found one that only has one pair of parents. I just worry that having so many cats to breed screams "mill" despite what their descriptions say, and wonder how breeders can take care of five to twelve adult cats at a time.
It's very common for reputable catteries to have multiple breeding adults. Honestly, I would almost be more concerned that the breeder with just a pair of cats is more of a "hobby breeder" or BYB than a larger cattery -- i.e. they had a female and didn't spay her, and decided to get a male and make babies, and that's that. I would also be much more concerned if one cattery is producing several different breeds of cat. If you want to post links to the breeders' websites, we could probably give you more specific input on who looks good/bad.

Also be aware that many people are allergic to a protein in cat saliva, not dander, and that hairless breeds can actually be more allergenic to some of these people.

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

Crooked Booty posted:

Also be aware that many people are allergic to a protein in cat saliva, not dander, and that hairless breeds can actually be more allergenic to some of these people.

Don't worry, I am not one of those people who think a hairless cat is a perfectly allergy free pet. I've already done extensive research and know that a hairless cat does NOT equal easy on allergies, and already know about the causes of allergic reactions, hence why we plan to spend as much time around the breed as possible to ensure he could handle one. If not then we won't get another kitty.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

My cat just barfed up some... stuff.

It was greenish and lumpy, and had a few whole undigested treats that I gave him a few minutes before.

This is the first time he's done anything even slightly related to being ill, so I'm not sure how much I should worry.

Right after he finished puking he became very interested in it, so I covered it with some paper towels and the top half of his carrier, otherwise he probably would have ate it all back up. Then he became very affectionate, purring and rubbing up on me and even gently trying to bat my mouth (which he usually does right after I wake up, having missed me the whole night :3:).

So overall he seems alright now, but is there anything special that I should be wary of?

e: Forgot to add:
He's about a year old, neutered, eating drinking and eliminating normally, and he's goddamn fighting me to get to the pile of vomit. He's even squeaking at me to try to get me to uncover his puke! He's trying everything to get to it.

Don't Ask fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 25, 2010

mothshark
Dec 29, 2008
My cat is gross and doesn't cover its poop in the litter box! I have a pair of sister kittens, about 9-10 weeks old, and one is a perfect princess at the whole litterbox thing, but the other never bothers to dig around or anything. We're using a TidyCats clumping litter (not sure on exact kind, cats tore the label off), will be getting a bigger box soon, and only have one box right now though I'd like to upgrade to two if we can find a place to put it. Both kittens are on a mix of Wellness wet and dry food.

This wouldn't be too big of a problem, but the bad cat stepped in uncovered poop and promptly tracked it all over my bed. Is there any way to train her to cover it? She doesn't show much interest when I hold her paws and make her dig. Should I try out a different litter brand?

The culprit in question:

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Don't Ask posted:

My cat just barfed up some... stuff.

It was greenish and lumpy, and had a few whole undigested treats that I gave him a few minutes before.

This is the first time he's done anything even slightly related to being ill, so I'm not sure how much I should worry.

Right after he finished puking he became very interested in it, so I covered it with some paper towels and the top half of his carrier, otherwise he probably would have ate it all back up. Then he became very affectionate, purring and rubbing up on me and even gently trying to bat my mouth (which he usually does right after I wake up, having missed me the whole night :3:).

So overall he seems alright now, but is there anything special that I should be wary of?

e: Forgot to add:
He's about a year old, neutered, eating drinking and eliminating normally, and he's goddamn fighting me to get to the pile of vomit. He's even squeaking at me to try to get me to uncover his puke! He's trying everything to get to it.
I usually take it as a good sign if a cat wants to eat their own puke because they can't be feeling too terrible if they still have an appetite.

I would just keep an eye on him for now. He may have just eaten too many treats too fast. You probably don't need to worry unless he starts acting weird, can't keep his food down later, or doesn't want to eat.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

mothshark posted:

My cat is gross and doesn't cover its poop in the litter box! I have a pair of sister kittens, about 9-10 weeks old, and one is a perfect princess at the whole litterbox thing, but the other never bothers to dig around or anything. We're using a TidyCats clumping litter (not sure on exact kind, cats tore the label off), will be getting a bigger box soon, and only have one box right now though I'd like to upgrade to two if we can find a place to put it. Both kittens are on a mix of Wellness wet and dry food.

This wouldn't be too big of a problem, but the bad cat stepped in uncovered poop and promptly tracked it all over my bed. Is there any way to train her to cover it? She doesn't show much interest when I hold her paws and make her dig. Should I try out a different litter brand?

The culprit in question:

They're pretty young, it will take them awhile to get the litter box thing down entirely. One of my cats used to have the same problem but he's mostly grown out of it and covers his poop now. He too got poopy paws and sometimes poopy buttfur. I haven't had to do it in a good while though, he's a big boy now for the most part. It sucks that you'll probably have to clean up more poopy paws but fun stuff like this is just one of the many perks of having kittens.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
I just adopted a stray. He had been crashing on my porch for a few days before I took him to the vet and got him checked out. He's all good. I'm going to try moving him to an indoor/outdoor cat, as he was obviously abused and is older so he's going to want to be slowing down in life anyway. He's between 6 and 9 the vet says.

The issue is I have a young cat (~1.5 years) and an ancient dog. He and the dog, so far, seem to either not notice or care about one another. However, I brought him inside for the first time today, and everything was fine until my current cat (Pocket) starting sniffing at him (Wallet) and he arched his back and went into hissing. He then climbed up on a toolbox and started hissing profusely.

After I removed Pocket from the equation, he immediately calmed down and let me pick him up. I took him outside, where he was obviously more at ease.

I just don't know how to introduce cats. They seemed fine at first, when I first opened up the pet carrier they were face to face and just sort of staring at one another sniffing. It wasn't until Pocket was sniffing his butt that Wallet freaked out. I've seen bad cat intros, and I know there will be some level of anti-fun behavior, but I don't want to separate two claw machines from one another. Help.

Also - How the hell do I litterbox train him? Pocket just sort of "got it" when I adopted him, and has only once pooped anywhere else, and that was in a very large potted plant, which is probably close enough to a litter box in his eyes that I totally understand.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

sicarius posted:

I just don't know how to introduce cats. They seemed fine at first, when I first opened up the pet carrier they were face to face and just sort of staring at one another sniffing. It wasn't until Pocket was sniffing his butt that Wallet freaked out. I've seen bad cat intros, and I know there will be some level of anti-fun behavior, but I don't want to separate two claw machines from one another. Help.

If only there were a clear process for introducing cats, and if only it were posted on the first page of this thread...

quote:

Also - How the hell do I litterbox train him? Pocket just sort of "got it" when I adopted him, and has only once pooped anywhere else, and that was in a very large potted plant, which is probably close enough to a litter box in his eyes that I totally understand.

Just drop him in the litterbox, ideally with some poop still in it, and he'll get it. Cats like to cover their poo, and many animals get the idea of a single place for waste.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
If a cat stops breathing (lungs filled with fluid), heart stops, and turns blue, how long can it remain like that before there's no way you can bring it back? Specifically, if the cat has a 6/6 murmur, enlarged heart, and congestive heart failure, if this sort of thing happens is there basically anything, anyone could do? If you were to bring the animal to an ER vet, would it still have a chance?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Carebear posted:

If a cat stops breathing (lungs filled with fluid), heart stops, and turns blue, how long can it remain like that before there's no way you can bring it back? Specifically, if the cat has a 6/6 murmur, enlarged heart, and congestive heart failure, if this sort of thing happens is there basically anything, anyone could do? If you were to bring the animal to an ER vet, would it still have a chance?

In the time it took you to write this post, your cat died. Sorry for your loss.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.

HondaCivet posted:

In the time it took you to write this post, your cat died. Sorry for your loss.

Thanks, moron, but clearly this wasn't the case judging from the calm manner I was typing in, and the fact this is a FAQ thread. I realize that PI posters love jumping on the rear end in a top hat bandwagon, but common sense should dictate when this is appropriate.

Anyway, to the posters that don't have their finger on the trigger, I was just trying to settle an argument between two people. One is getting blamed for taking too long to bring the cat to the ER vet, and I wanted to assuage the situation by telling the other person that most likely, it would have been too late either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Carebear posted:

Thanks, moron, but clearly this wasn't the case judging from the calm manner I was typing in, and the fact this is a FAQ thread. I realize that PI posters love jumping on the rear end in a top hat bandwagon, but common sense should dictate when this is appropriate.

Anyway, to the posters that don't have their finger on the trigger, I was just trying to settle an argument between two people. One is getting blamed for taking too long to bring the cat to the ER vet, and I wanted to assuage the situation by telling the other person that most likely, it would have been too late either way.
For what it's worth, I saw 3 people run into the clinic where I used to work, all with limp blue cats, all probably with HCM, and none of them made it. Not even the tiny kitty defibrillator was enough. :smith:

It sounds like your friend's cat had no chance.