Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Mr. Clark2 posted:

As promised, here are some pictures that I took of the grass in question. These were taken at 3 different houses, all with the same kind of grass.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50652/IMG_0040.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50652/IMG_0045.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50652/IMG_0046.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50652/IMG_0050.JPG

Can anyone help identify this type of grass?

Oh, Jordy Verrill, you lunkhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

kid sinister posted:

No, I meant pull up a few inches of one strand all the way to some roots and take a picture of that, preferably without your cell phone camera. The image detail on those things sucks.

I'll see what I can do later on today.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

dwoloz posted:

I'm putting up 6 cement pier foundations and 2 will fall on top of an existing cement patio (4" thick). Id like to remove the cement from the patio just in the two roughly 2ftx2ft squares I need for the foundation. The square cut outs do not need to be clean looking.
Renting a jackhammer is my last resort. Possibly some sort of chisel and a sledge?

9" Angle grinder with concrete/stone blade.

Taelrin
Jul 17, 2004
I'm in the midst of building a little beer bottle chandelier and am looking for a lighting setup for it. What I'd like is a setup with 8 or so LED lights each one on the end of a separate string. Is there a company that would make that or would I need to wire it up myself?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Taelrin posted:

I'm in the midst of building a little beer bottle chandelier and am looking for a lighting setup for it. What I'd like is a setup with 8 or so LED lights each one on the end of a separate string. Is there a company that would make that or would I need to wire it up myself?

LED Christmas light string?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Taelrin posted:

Maybe ask in the electronics megathread.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

dwoloz posted:

I'm putting up 6 cement pier foundations and 2 will fall on top of an existing cement patio (4" thick). Id like to remove the cement from the patio just in the two roughly 2ftx2ft squares I need for the foundation. The square cut outs do not need to be clean looking.
Renting a jackhammer is my last resort. Possibly some sort of chisel and a sledge?

Go to home depot tool rental and get a tool called a concrete saw, you'll thank god you did this instead of going a hammer and chisel route which would be a complete pain in the rear end. As long as the section is 4" deep you're good to go as the saw they rent out will do 5" deep cuts.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I've got a Maytag A806 washer from like 1977 that's recently gone like way off balance. Does anyone have a clue how to balance the drum on one of these things, or even a general idea of where to look? It's walking a foot or so every time I do a load.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

thelightguy posted:

I've got a Maytag A806 washer from like 1977 that's recently gone like way off balance. Does anyone have a clue how to balance the drum on one of these things, or even a general idea of where to look? It's walking a foot or so every time I do a load.

Everything I've googled points to a bad snubber. Here's a link that may be helpful? I dunno. The tbrady post outlines how to change the snubber though not on your exact model. http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/washer-repair/5154-washing-machine-spin-cycle-off-balance.html

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
You don't really balance the drum, the drum is designed to have a lot of play inside the case. Instead, you balance the case and that should be enough. Get yourself a level and make sure the sides are vertical front-to-back and side-to-side. You adjust this by adjusting the height of the feet. Most washers have back legs that are on a seesaw, so you only need to adjust the front legs. You can re-settle the back legs by tilting the washer forward onto its front legs and then setting it back down. If the legs have jam nuts on them, tighten the jam nuts on the legs against the frame once you get the legs to the right height.

If that doesn't work, try taking off the case and see if any of the retention springs at the base have broke.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

As above, check the suspension - this will consist of 2-5 springs between the drum & top of the case & 2-4 'dampers' (really just guide rods) underneath.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

If it's from 1977, I bet one or more of the arms that holds the drum to the motor is broken and it's time for a new washer.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

If it's from 1977, I bet one or more of the arms that holds the drum to the motor is broken and it's time for a new washer.
I fixed my wife's washer 4 times, including replacing the damping springs (probably your problem). She got increasingly pissed off every time I fixed it. I finally just let her buy a new one.

Meth Rollins
Jun 24, 2005
I'm trying to hang a projector screen in my home from the ceiling. I'm having a lot of trouble finding the joists. The tapping method isn't working for me. I'm firmly tapping with the hammer and every time I think I have found one, its a miss. My Black & Decker stud finder isn't doing the trick either (came with the drill so probably cheap). Its a manufactured home and has the textured/popcorn ceiling (I think that's what its called anyway). Any advice?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

But then I'd have to buy a new dryer too so it'll match. :saddowns: And I was wrong on the date, apparently it's 1967, not 1977. :sweatdrop:

Sadly, a new washer requires spending money I don't have right now. I'll take a look at the damping springs first.

EDIT: Springs are present, the support arms are still solidly attached to the chassis with not a spot of rust on them, (although the bottom of the chassis has a nice patina) so all I can think of is that the counterbalance on the transmission has somehow gone out of whack.

corgski fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 22, 2010

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Railroad5 posted:

I'm trying to hang a projector screen in my home from the ceiling. I'm having a lot of trouble finding the joists. The tapping method isn't working for me. I'm firmly tapping with the hammer and every time I think I have found one, its a miss. My Black & Decker stud finder isn't doing the trick either (came with the drill so probably cheap). Its a manufactured home and has the textured/popcorn ceiling (I think that's what its called anyway). Any advice?

Try measuring 16 inches from the wall otherwise buy a stud finder with a deep scan feature.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Railroad5 posted:

If something is screwing up the sonar studfinder, you can use a magnetic one to find the nails. They're really cheap, but take more patience to use.

Also, are the joists going in the direction you think they're going?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

My wife and I will be moving in October to a new rental property.

It's possible that we'll end up in an older rowhouse (early 1900's construction) and I'm concerned that the electrical system, if not updated, might not be able to handle the stress of modern living (poo poo plugged in everywhere and eating electricity).

Is there a way to check this sort of thing before hand? With most places we probably won't have the luxury of asking current tenants. And a landlord may not be too knowledgeable (or claim ignorance at least).

Meth Rollins
Jun 24, 2005
I have no idea which way the joists are going and have no way of figuring out. I bought a Craftsman stud finder with deep scan and the same thing is still happening. It beeps yet I drive a nail in to check and come up empty. This worked a lot better in my head. :(

Edit: Also I've been measuring 16" and 24" away from each wall and still nothing. I think I'm totally hosed.

Meth Rollins fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 23, 2010

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Railroad5 posted:

I have no idea which way the joists are going and have no way of figuring out. I bought a Craftsman stud finder with deep scan and the same thing is still happening. It beeps yet I drive a nail in to check and come up empty. This worked a lot better in my head. :(

Edit: Also I've been measuring 16" and 24" away from each wall and still nothing. I think I'm totally hosed.
Time to climb in the attic with a tape measure and figure some stuff out.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I have several patio chairs that have rubber straps that stretch across the metal frame to make the area where you sit. The straps are worn and weathered and one of my friends sat in a chair and the straps broke out from under him.

I'd like to replace the straps and I'm thinking I could just stretch outdoor fabric across the frame? Is this even a good idea? I'd need fabric that would stretch tightly across the frame and still be able to hold a person. I have absolutely no idea of what kind to get or how I would do this.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I just bought a Bosch Power Box 360 PB360s with 4 outlets and my friends are out of power due to torrential rains and sinkholes in Milwaukee and I wanted to give them a temporary power source until power is restored. I wanted to give them advice on the upper limit of electronics they should power with it. I know cell phone charging and lamps would be fine, but any advice on small appliances like toasters and oscillating fans? The manual says 10 amps maximum, but I'm not sure how to interpret that. :(

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My bathtub has these textured ovals at the bottom-- not the stickers everyone's grandma had, they're part of the ceramic. I'm completely unable to get them white.

I've tried every chemical in the cabinet and they still end up blackish. Comet, or a Magic Eraser kind of worked, but not completely.

I just soaked them in bleach and they turned bright orange. What's up with that, and do I just have unrealistic expectations for cleanliness?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I just bought a Bosch Power Box 360 PB360s with 4 outlets and my friends are out of power due to torrential rains and sinkholes in Milwaukee and I wanted to give them a temporary power source until power is restored. I wanted to give them advice on the upper limit of electronics they should power with it. I know cell phone charging and lamps would be fine, but any advice on small appliances like toasters and oscillating fans? The manual says 10 amps maximum, but I'm not sure how to interpret that. :(
No; it's battery powered, so cell phones and mp3 player charging is OK, but you're going to kill that battery in about 15 minutes if you plug in a light, and would probably trip the breaker instantly if you tried to power a toaster.

Toasters, coffee pots, microwaves, etc- pretty much anything designed to heat stuff as quickly as possible- draws a LOT of power. I can run every refrigerator, light, TV and computer in my house on my portable generator (3550 Watt; 2x 15A outlets), but plug in a hot plate and it bogs down and struggles not to stall.

You can use a propane grill to cook a lot of things, though! :eng101:

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

grover posted:

No; it's battery powered, so cell phones and mp3 player charging is OK, but you're going to kill that battery in about 15 minutes if you plug in a light, and would probably trip the breaker instantly if you tried to power a toaster.

Toasters, coffee pots, microwaves, etc- pretty much anything designed to heat stuff as quickly as possible- draws a LOT of power. I can run every refrigerator, light, TV and computer in my house on my portable generator (3550 Watt; 2x 15A outlets), but plug in a hot plate and it bogs down and struggles not to stall.

You can use a propane grill to cook a lot of things, though! :eng101:
Got it. Thank you very much!!! :glomp:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

No idea where to post this odd question, but this seemed like a good place to start.

I make found object sculptures. I like insects, aesthetically. A friend gave me a perfectly intact dead dragonfly saying "I thought you could use this."

What could I spray this with to preserve it? Will regular spray lacquer eat thru the exoskeleton or anything like that?

Suggestions?

Meth Rollins
Jun 24, 2005

grover posted:

Time to climb in the attic with a tape measure and figure some stuff out.

No attic. Nor any roof access that I know of. I don't think I can be helped. Thanks anyway guys.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Railroad5 posted:

No attic. Nor any roof access that I know of. I don't think I can be helped. Thanks anyway guys.

Trailer joists are MUCH farther apart. You'll be better off using drywall hangers or toggle eyebolts that can support the weight.

Meth Rollins
Jun 24, 2005

kid sinister posted:

Trailer joists are MUCH farther apart. You'll be better off using drywall hangers or toggle eyebolts that can support the weight.

Sounds like a plan. Will this work on my ceiling? I see this one at Lowe's. http://www.lowes.com/pd_122982-3767...hCatalogDisplay A\

E: And totally sorry if I come off like a moron. I really am the worst homeowner ever and DIY retarded.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
No, you need something like this:

But is the ceiling actually drywall? Projectors can be heavy.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

slap me silly posted:

But is the ceiling actually drywall?

Good call, this is a trailer after all. Railroad5, do you have actual drywall, or is it paneling?

My mistake, you might get better results from "drywall anchors". Anchors come in all kinds of shapes and sizes, depending on what you're drilling into and how much weight you need to support. 1/2" drywall can support a fair deal of weight, but can't take much movement or other quick changes in weight. Paneling is much thinner and can barely support anything. It's there more to provide dividers and to hold in insulation.

Frosted Ambassador
Dec 26, 2009

Surfing on the network
Part of me is dead
Hey guys. I know nothing about fabrics or dying. I was wondering if it's possible to dye a SCUBA beanie like this completely white.

They're made of neoprene with nylon edges. They are the perfect kind of cap I need for a project I'm working on, if only they were white. (I'm, er, making a TRON costume...:ssh:) The only colors I can find are this orange/green scheme or black. If I tried dying one white would it just look like rear end or could it work?

Disco_Bandit
Sep 8, 2006
Sometime between a couple of years ago and now, the previous occupants of my office never took to noticing the fact that radio battery leaked all of its happy-juices along the bottom, and it has since dried out and looks evil. What would be the best way to clean it out, and should I even bother or just go about getting another storage unit?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

bawbzilla posted:

Sometime between a couple of years ago and now, the previous occupants of my office never took to noticing the fact that radio battery leaked all of its happy-juices along the bottom, and it has since dried out and looks evil. What would be the best way to clean it out, and should I even bother or just go about getting another storage unit?

Your post is really confusing, but being a strong base, baking soda mixed with water cleans up battery acid really well. Scrub with an old toothbrush.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Frosted Ambassador posted:

Hey guys. I know nothing about fabrics or dying. I was wondering if it's possible to dye a SCUBA beanie like this completely white.

They're made of neoprene with nylon edges. They are the perfect kind of cap I need for a project I'm working on, if only they were white. (I'm, er, making a TRON costume...:ssh:) The only colors I can find are this orange/green scheme or black. If I tried dying one white would it just look like rear end or could it work?

You would have to remove the color to make it white. Try searching for a white swim cap.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

wormil posted:

You would have to remove the color to make it white. Try searching for a white swim cap.

Or buy this, take it apart & replicate it in white fabric. Help can be had over in the sewing megathread.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
What's the deal with toilets? Mine is goddamn terrible. 7/10 times you flush the water in the bowl just kinda spins around a little but the level stays the same and there's no big "gulp", just a soft flow out the bottom to match whatever is being emptied into the bowl from the tank. Any ideas?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Take the lid off and look to see if the flapper comes up all the way.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
The flapper sometimes goes halfway back down (but doesn't close) as the toilet operates, but this isn't the problem. The toilet 'non-flushes' the same way even if I hold down the handle and keep the flapper fully open for the duration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Don't know it you're still looking, this was from a few weeks ago.

Tyro posted:

Sorry it took me so long to get a photo. This is what I need. It holds a towel bar in the shower. My roommate broke the other one.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Search eBay for "ceramic towel bar" and you'll find stuff like this, which may be an exact match
http://cgi.ebay.com/CERAMIC-Tile-Ba...e#ht_904wt_1144