Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

The punchline to that comic was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm kind of hoping they pick up the lizardfolk to replace Durkon if he dies in this arc. I'm starting to like him.

EDIT: I doubt it will happen though.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
I like the fact that dwarves refusing to die the straw death go out and pick fights with trees for a glorious honorable death :black101:.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Haha. Redcloak mentioned Xykon had disappeared on some mysterious errand a while back. I like that all he's doing is trying to hit up the Oracle for some tips. Wonder if the Oracle is out because he specifically doesn't want to help Xykon?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Mylan posted:

Wonder if the Oracle is out because he specifically doesn't want to help Xykon?

Might still be dead. I doubt a god would act so overtly as to raise him right on the spot. It'd probably send a prophetic dream to another priest to go and do it.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Vicissitude posted:

Might still be dead. I doubt a god would act so overtly as to raise him right on the spot. It'd probably send a prophetic dream to another priest to go and do it.

:confused: the oracle's alive, though. He pre-booked a lizard priest to raise him.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wasn't it strongly implied in this very strip that the oracle deliberately went out so that Xykon couldn't ask for anything?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Cliff Racer posted:

Wasn't it strongly implied in this very strip that the oracle deliberately went out so that Xykon couldn't ask for anything?
Which, as much as it's being presented as an apolitical act in the strip, is a very strong declaration of support by Tiamat for the Order of the Stick. She's got no problem with her Oracle telling the Order everything they want to know to beat Xykon, and when Xykon shows up the Oracle is not home? That's just a very diplomatic "gently caress you".

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

The same panel as the one featuring Xykon posted:

Her followers prefer to hang around in dark caves or hidden valleys, rather than get too involved with world politics.

Seems a fairly clear-cut explanation as to why the Prophet just "happened" to be out.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

CapnAndy posted:

Which, as much as it's being presented as an apolitical act in the strip, is a very strong declaration of support by Tiamat for the Order of the Stick. She's got no problem with her Oracle telling the Order everything they want to know to beat Xykon, and when Xykon shows up the Oracle is not home? That's just a very diplomatic "gently caress you".

Of course it's this way. The entirety of the gods (Dark One excepted) don't want anyone loving with the Snarl, so obviously they'd help someone trying to shut this crap down.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Shugojin posted:

Of course it's this way. The entirety of the gods (Dark One excepted) don't want anyone loving with the Snarl, so obviously they'd help someone trying to shut this crap down.

The evil gods are kinda sorta on the dark ones side though. I bet the oracle wasn't there because Xykon would've killed him and trapped his soul.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Affi posted:

The evil gods are kinda sorta on the dark ones side though. I bet the oracle wasn't there because Xykon would've killed him and trapped his soul.

it was rat and tiamat that told the dark one of the snarl in the first place

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Rumda posted:

it was rat and tiamat that told the dark one of the snarl in the first place

Yeah, after he independently discovered its existence they were the ones who told him that it is far, far best to just leave the thing alone.

And he didn't listen, so it makes sense that they would work against him.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

Shugojin posted:

And he didn't listen, so it makes sense that they would work against him.

I'm curious as to how the whole V-Causing-Black-Dragon-Genocide thing is affecting Tiamat's interest in this whole thing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Nosy_G posted:

I'm curious as to how the whole V-Causing-Black-Dragon-Genocide thing is affecting Tiamat's interest in this whole thing.

I think the IFC seemed to smooth it over, although who knows what will happen.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'm kind of seeing it as the IFC convinced Tiamat to at least be patient and wait to kill V once Xykon is stopped.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
What we know is that Tiamat knew enough to immediately lay blame at the IFC's feet (where it belonged!), and they got her to calm down by promising a genocide of Good-aligned dragons that would be five times greater. Which, according to them, was a pretty good deal because that poo poo was gonna happen anyway, as a side effect.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

DoctorTristan posted:

:confused: the oracle's alive, though. He pre-booked a lizard priest to raise him.

Whoops. Looks like I have to reread the archive. :s

.... :D

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

CapnAndy posted:

What we know is that Tiamat knew enough to immediately lay blame at the IFC's feet (where it belonged!), and they got her to calm down by promising a genocide of Good-aligned dragons that would be five times greater. Which, according to them, was a pretty good deal because that poo poo was gonna happen anyway, as a side effect.

Which book were these strips published in? I don't remember any of this in the website stuff.

brown_recluse
Jul 19, 2006
Pessimist by policy, optimist by temperament.

Cliff Racer posted:

Which book were these strips published in? I don't remember any of this in the website stuff.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0668.html This and the previous strip, where Tiamat calls the IFC office.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

:siren:New Strip:siren:

Hemipenes...:gonk:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

navyjack posted:

:siren:New Strip:siren:

Hemipenes...:gonk:

Posted for posterity.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Midniter fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 28, 2010

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Whose.

Whose.

Look whose get out of jail free card

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
ooo, look whose a big ol grammar nazi

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Huh, apparently Belkar's ranks in Profession (Gourmet Chef) are canon after all.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
:siren:NEW STRIP!:siren:

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I totally want Malak and Bounty Hunter Lizard to join the party. :3:

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Elan's thought processes make me :unsmith:. Also, I approve of Nyr-Azul's progressive use of social networking.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Kotor, Paladin of Marduk is smackin' dragons, yo.
Kotor, Paladin of Marduk has updated his location.
Kotor, Paladin of Marduk joined the group Need a Rez.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Technogeek posted:

Kotor, Paladin of Marduk is smackin' dragons, yo.
Kotor, Paladin of Marduk joined the group Need a Rez.

I thought that was pretty cute, too.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

The latest comic posted:

Dewey decimal system strictly enforced.

Perfect.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Soonmot posted:

I thought that was pretty cute, too.

I was tempted to include Nyr-Azul, Priest of Tiamat in that list, but I wasn't certain it was related.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Technogeek posted:

I was tempted to include Nyr-Azul, Priest of Tiamat in that list, but I wasn't certain it was related.

I bet it is. He was smacking dragons.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Technogeek posted:

It is:

Kotor, Paladin of Marduk is smakin' dragons, yo.
Nyr-Azul, Priest of Tiamat has updated his location.
Kotor, Paladin of Marduk joined the group NEED A REZ.

Clearly Nyr-Azul used Macebook to hunt Kotor.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

I know its an old trope, but explain to me why clerics cannot use edged weapons.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
There was an old story about priests not technically being allowed to shed blood, so warrior-priests such as Adhemar le Puy or Odo of Bayeaux carried maces or clubs when they went into battle. Of course that makes no sense since braining someone with a mace will probably splatter some blood anyway, but since blunt trauma is better for injuring someone through heavy armor it's likely war leaders who were also clerics did arm themselves that way (along with a bunch of other knights in the army).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The D&D cleric wasn't added to the game out of any notion of making the included classes more holistic; it was added because there was a need for it. There was a vampire recurring villain, so they whipped up a militant cleric character who was a mixture of those guys Piedmon Sama mentioned with Abraham Van Helsing. That's why clerics can use magic with armor, wield weapons but not sharp ones, and good clerics can repel undead although aberrations or oozes would make just as much sense.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

The way I understood it was that clerics were ostensibly healers, teachers and priests: i.e. not warriors.

It would be perfectly reasonable for one of them to carry around a big heavy ceremonial mace of office, but not a sword since a sword has only one purpose.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Umbra Dubium posted:

The way I understood it was that clerics were ostensibly healers, teachers and priests: i.e. not warriors.

It would be perfectly reasonable for one of them to carry around a big heavy ceremonial mace of office, but not a sword since a sword has only one purpose.

Except there are ceremonial swords too that are more useless than ceremonial maces or scepters or whatever in killing people.

No, it's basically what Piedmon Sama said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Umbra Dubium posted:

This is from an old Forgotten Realms book. Pool of Radiance, I think.

Man, I wish I'd spent all that money on Apple stock instead of D&D books when I was in high school. :(