Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
Here's two pictures of the same person, Brain Craig, the vocalist for Paria. The first was taken 8/1/09 For the 2009 Omaha Entertainment Awards Summer showcase. The second was taken last friday for the 2010 OEA summer showcase. I think it was neat to see the progression in a years time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

AtomicManiac posted:

Here's two pictures of the same person, Brain Craig, the vocalist for Paria. The first was taken 8/1/09 For the 2009 Omaha Entertainment Awards Summer showcase. The second was taken last friday for the 2010 OEA summer showcase. I think it was neat to see the progression in a years time.

He looks like he turned into Ethan Suplee to me.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
A random woman added me on facebook the other day. It's not an uncommon occurrence to get random people adding me, and since I use facebook primarily for networking I always accept requests. Turns out she had been shooting the show last week (though she was shooting the country band that played before them) I guess she wanted to compare shots or something, or maybe she liked my work. Don't know/care.

At any rate, she has a photography Business. Her shots aren't terrible, but they aren't great, and the quality goes from "decent" to "Why would you post this?". A glance at her website almost made me poo poo myself. She's asking $500 for a promo shoot where you get 15 images. Are you loving kidding me? She doesn't even have a portfolio of her promo work (probably because she hasn't ever done one). The going rate for the biggest name in promo shooting in town is only $150.

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jul 22, 2010

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

AtomicManiac posted:

$500 for a promo shoot where you get 15 images. Are you loving kidding me? She doesn't even have a portfolio of her promo work (for obvious reasons). The going rate for the biggest name in promo shooting in town is only $150.

Here we go again...

Bojanglesworth fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 22, 2010

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

Here we go again...

Do you mind erasing the link? Turns out I actually know the woman and don't really want to start poo poo.

Regardless of what you think is "fair" to charge, I just find it ridiculous to charge $500 for mediocre pictures when arguably the best person to shoot your promo pictures charges less than half that. On top of that, where do you get off charging $500 and not showing a single example of your work?

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 22, 2010

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

man The All American Rejects have gone downhill

And might I add The Casualties are insane live?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Best football club in the world 8)

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Now that I'm starting to get a bit more serious into music photography I was thinking of splitting my work into two "companies". One being the one I've always used for pretty much anything but music photography and the other being purely dedicated to music photography. A couple of rather simplistic, yet not used, ideas were Shutter Priority Photography and Aperture Priority Photography. I like the ring of Aperture Priority Photography but the name still has it's problems.

It will require me to buy a new domain name and hosting package (as I plan to keep my website open) but I think it will be worth it

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 22, 2010

Rukes
Jan 1, 2001

Yes, The Rukes

AtomicManiac posted:

Regardless of what you think is "fair" to charge, I just find it ridiculous to charge $500 for mediocre pictures when arguably the best person to shoot your promo pictures charges less than half that. On top of that, where do you get off charging $500 and not showing a single example of your work?

Some people think that if they just post expensive prices, clueless people will automatically go by the "more expensive = better" way of thinking. Might work maybe once or twice, but usually not at all. I know tons of photographers that go down that route and most of them have usually just quit photography since nobody would want to pay insane amounts of money for crappy pics, and they wonder why they can't find any paying jobs.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

pr0digal posted:

Now that I'm starting to get a bit more serious into music photography I was thinking of splitting my work into two "companies". One being the one I've always used for pretty much anything but music photography and the other being purely dedicated to music photography. A couple of rather simplistic, yet not used, ideas were Shutter Priority Photography and Aperture Priority Photography. I like the ring of Aperture Priority Photography but the name still has it's problems.

It will require me to buy a new domain name and hosting package (as I plan to keep my website open) but I think it will be worth it

Those names are terrible from a web search standpoint. You're going to get a hell of a lot of results coming up for sites about camera settings.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

pr0digal posted:

Why don't you just use your name, "photographers" with stupid rear end names for themselves bug the gently caress out of me.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bojanglesworth posted:

Why don't you just use your name, "photographers" with stupid rear end names for themselves bug the gently caress out of me.

I went the split route with my work too, I use the more of a "company" style name for my music work and everything else is under "your name" photography. To me it only makes sense to pick a company style name if it's for a business that shoots one type of thing, i.e. weddings, concerts, portraits, etc. If it's a portfolio of general work, stick with your name.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

rockcity posted:

I went the split route with my work too, I use the more of a "company" style name for my music work and everything else is under "your name" photography. To me it only makes sense to pick a company style name if it's for a business that shoots one type of thing, i.e. weddings, concerts, portraits, etc. If it's a portfolio of general work, stick with your name.

I guess, just things like "Shutterbug Photography" seems so unprofessional to me. I have never really looked into it but it seems that any famous, or largely successful photographer, is using just their name. Also, how many people are shooting JUST one type of thing? Maybe when it comes to weddings, but other than that it seems every photographer has a whole slew of different things they shoot.

I have also never, ever watermarked any of my photos, so maybe thats where I don't see the benefit of having a "name" for your photography. If people want to use a photo they are going to use it, and remove the watermark if they want. A watermarked photo on some "model" facebook isn't going to get me work, or at least the type of work I want, maybe a TFCD shoot, which is less than worthless.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bojanglesworth posted:

I guess, just things like "Shutterbug Photography" seems so unprofessional to me. I have never really looked into it but it seems that any famous, or largely successful photographer, is using just their name. Also, how many people are shooting JUST one type of thing? Maybe when it comes to weddings, but other than that it seems every photographer has a whole slew of different things they shoot.

I have also never, ever watermarked any of my photos, so maybe thats where I don't see the benefit of having a "name" for your photography. If people want to use a photo they are going to use it, and remove the watermark if they want. A watermarked photo on some "model" facebook isn't going to get me work, or at least the type of work I want, maybe a TFCD shoot, which is less than worthless.

Most concert photographers who run a site don't use their name because you want it to seem like the content is going to a website devoted to just music photos. If you're a PR rep getting a photo pass request from someone who's website name is clearly about music is a lot more straight forward than John Doe Photogrpahy.

I don't watermark photos at least not in the traditional way, but I like to have my name or something on the bottom in an unobtrusive way just so people know it's my photo when they see it. I wouldn't want them to not use it, I'm happy when they do.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 23, 2010

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

There is already a photographer with my name. On the plus side, he is really good with landscapes and nature. I could not pick a better same name not me dude.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Eeek posted:

There is already a photographer with my name. On the plus side, he is really good with landscapes and nature. I could not pick a better same name not me dude.

All the people in the city with the same name as me are gino douchebags with smug gino grins that I want to punch in the teeth.

One of them sent me a Facebook request and it nearly killed me. Finding out there were two other people in my city with my name was hard enough, but for them to suck so very, very hard...

:negative:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

rockcity posted:

Those names are terrible from a web search standpoint. You're going to get a hell of a lot of results coming up for sites about camera settings.

Oh I know, I've since come up with something much better (I hope). It's just a matter of getting all my web hosting down and finding the best deal. I use hostgator for my host as it's 4.95 a month for unlimited disk space and bandwith. It's just a matter of finding the right site to register my domain name with that won't kill me on charges and stuff. I'm not going to get into an argument about watermarking but it has gotten me work in the past.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 23, 2010

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

pr0digal posted:

Oh I know, I've since come up with something much better (I hope). It's just a matter of getting all my web hosting down and finding the best deal. I use hostgator for my host as it's 4.95 a month for unlimited disk space and bandwith. It's just a matter of finding the right site to register my domain name with that won't kill me on charges and stuff. I'm not going to get into an argument about watermarking but it has gotten me work in the past.

I'm with hostgator (always been great) but cant you just register your domain with them or do you mean something else?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

fronkpies posted:

I'm with hostgator (always been great) but cant you just register your domain with them or do you mean something else?

Yeah, I have hostgator for my other site but I know when I got my site in like 2008 domain names were cheap as hell. I think it is like 15 bucks a year for a dot com through hostgator. I might just end up going that route since it's all through hostgator.

I was thinking Infinite Limit Photography which while not making much sense does seem to roll off the tongue and I do like the name as far as a production company is concerned. Though on second thought it does sound pretty loving stupid. I'm hell with names, one of my friends suggested Photo Electric. I was also thinking Support the Scene Photography since it's related with music photography in some way which sounds a bit less cheesy than Infinite Limit and is available.

Or Camera in the Crowd photography. gently caress this is hard, I shoot mainly smaller shows in tiny venues. For example I'm shooting The Ghost Inside and Reign Supreme tonight along with a bunch of local bands in what is pretty much a bar and grill in New Hampshire. Just had Two Senses Photography suggested as in hearing the music and seeing the photos.

This is going to be a tough choice

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 23, 2010

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

pr0digal posted:

Hey I bet the bands you shoot can relate to your dilemma.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

pr0digal posted:

Yeah, I have hostgator for my other site but I know when I got my site in like 2008 domain names were cheap as hell. I think it is like 15 bucks a year for a dot com through hostgator. I might just end up going that route since it's all through hostgator.

I was thinking Infinite Limit Photography which while not making much sense does seem to roll off the tongue and I do like the name as far as a production company is concerned. Though on second thought it does sound pretty loving stupid. I'm hell with names, one of my friends suggested Photo Electric. I was also thinking Support the Scene Photography since it's related with music photography in some way which sounds a bit less cheesy than Infinite Limit and is available.

Or Camera in the Crowd photography. gently caress this is hard, I shoot mainly smaller shows in tiny venues. For example I'm shooting The Ghost Inside and Reign Supreme tonight along with a bunch of local bands in what is pretty much a bar and grill in New Hampshire. Just had Two Senses Photography suggested as in hearing the music and seeing the photos.

No need to rush the decision.

I don't like camera in the crowd because if taken literally, it sounds amateur, like you're literally just a dude shooting from the crowd.

On an unrelated note, I believe I'm going to get my Andrew WK photo shoot on Sunday at Warped. Probably Eyes Set to Kill will be added to my list as well. I really need to con the staff into letting me park my car backstage with the vans so I don't have to walk my lighting gear all over the place.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

rockcity posted:

No need to rush the decision.

I don't like camera in the crowd because if taken literally, it sounds amateur, like you're literally just a dude shooting from the crowd.

On an unrelated note, I believe I'm going to get my Andrew WK photo shoot on Sunday at Warped. Probably Eyes Set to Kill will be added to my list as well. I really need to con the staff into letting me park my car backstage with the vans so I don't have to walk my lighting gear all over the place.

I think I'll be going with Two Senses but I still need to think about it a bit. Eyes Set to Kill is pretty awesome, I saw their live set and for being on a tiny stage they had a lot of energy

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

pr0digal posted:

[...]

=

+

Sorry, couldn't resist. Speaking of the dude shooting from the crowd, I find that the the biggest problem are framing the shots properly and finding interesting angles, since in both cases the crowd basically makes it very difficult to adjust anything. Otherwise, even with a 5 year old P&S it's possible to get some unembarrassing shots, as long as you don't use the flash while standing 20m away, I guess.

Just to make this clear, this was just about the subject, not that my two shots put together are as good the one I quoted or anything else.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Just got back from shooting a show where The Ghost Inside, Reign Supreme and Betrayal headlined. Let me say this: I love no barrier hardcore shows. Even when it means that I get pushed from one side of the stage to the other (twice) by a kid opening up the pit and dodging about 4 or 5 stage divers (one of which was on my shoulder for a while).

I'll have some photos up in the next couple of days

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

In regards to the website thing, don't have photography in the name. Just make it something news. It sounds more official that way, in the same way "Rock City" sounds.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Took my first ever concert pics by lending the camera from my ex for a couple of minutes at a show. Couldn't get into the photographers area of course, so they're all taken from the same angle in the audience I'm afraid. There was just one spot where I could shoot over the heads.

They're not amazing and enormously noisy (but I like that sometimes in black & whites I must admit). It was amazingly dark with a few lovely red spots (argh) and a crappy camera.
And because it was the first time I sometimes forgot to focus :) Live and learn.

It was Melissa Auf Der Maur btw.

There are a few more here.

I'll learn it eventually. Now I just need to find a way to actually be allowed to take pics. Is it bad form to just like contact the manager or another contact person of the band? Certainly with no experience like me.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/4825449651/

I'm too tired to get all the photos up right now but this photo about sums up the energy at the show. This was during The Ghost Inside.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

What's with the "Two Senses" thing?

Also, I'm about ask for a pass for warped, do I ask for a ticket, or just the press-pass? My website's not done, so I'm just gonna go the minimalist route and toss on a java-script gallery/slide-show thing comprised of only concert shots.

Any feedback on the email would be great:

My name is Ben Semisch, I've been shooting local, regional and national bands since January of 2009. I'm looking to cover some of the bands playing the warped tour and request (1 ticket and)1 photo-pass for the August 2nd date in Bonner Springs, Kansas. Samples of my work can be found at http://www.bensemischphotography.com

-Ben Semisch

Sound good? Also how does my make-shift portfolio look? I just tossed the first 10 pictures I really liked on there, no real thought to the order. I'll probably re-order it a bit before sending the email so it's a bit less disjointed (make the colors flow a bit nicer).

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jul 25, 2010

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AtomicManiac posted:

Also, I'm about ask for a pass for warped, do I ask for a ticket, or just the press-pass? My website's not done, so I'm just gonna go the minimalist route and toss on a java-script gallery/slide-show thing comprised of only concert shots.

My name is Ben Semisch, I've been shooting local, regional and national bands since January of 2009. I'm looking to cover some of the bands playing the warped tour and request (1 ticket and)1 photo-pass for the August 2nd date in Bonner Springs, Kansas. Samples of my work can be found at http://www.bensemischphotography.com

-Ben Semisch

Sound good? Also how does my make-shift portfolio look? I just tossed the first 10 pictures I really liked on there, no real thought to the order. I'll probably re-order it a bit before sending the email so it's a bit less disjointed (make the colors flow a bit nicer).

Honestly at this point your odds of getting approved are pretty slim. By the time he gets the email it's going to be a week until the show, which is cutting it really close for a large tour. Your email itself is fine, but your portfolio is not flattering in the least. For starters it's pretty obvious it was put together in 10 seconds by the fact that the vertical photos don't fit and are getting cut off at the bottom. There's also zero text explaining anything, so if someone were to look at them, unless they already know exactly who that person is and what band there in, it provides absolutely zero publicity which is the entire point of them giving you a photo pass.

Edit: Packed up and ready for my warped tour date today. I think I have enough gear for today.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 25, 2010

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

AtomicManiac posted:

-Ben Semisch

The Two Senses thing is the new logo for my photography branch. Based on your suggestion I dropped photography from it. It's an eye with sound waves on the side. I still need to get the actual website done and such.

Also, with your website the navigation bar at the bottom disappears after the first photo. Also there appears to be a lot of compression in the photos and it makes them look pretty lovely. As rock city pointed out you are cutting off the bottom and the top of your vertical photos as well.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 25, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
rockcity, where do you stow your gear when you're shooting Warped?

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

rockcity posted:

Honestly at this point your odds of getting approved are pretty slim. By the time he gets the email it's going to be a week until the show, which is cutting it really close for a large tour. Your email itself is fine, but your portfolio is not flattering in the least. For starters it's pretty obvious it was put together in 10 seconds by the fact that the vertical photos don't fit and are getting cut off at the bottom. There's also zero text explaining anything, so if someone were to look at them, unless they already know exactly who that person is and what band there in, it provides absolutely zero publicity which is the entire point of them giving you a photo pass.

Okay, I can add info to the shots, as for them cutting off at the bottom I have no idea why this is. I figure I would do some experimenting to get them the right size before sending them. How are the shots themselves, is the quality of work good enough, or should I keep shooting and try next year/maybe pick some different shots? These may not be my best 10 shots, but they're all shots I like and are fairly representative of my quality.

Alternatively: Should I just post them more blog style kind of like: http://feaverishphotography.com/blog/ ? Or should I just point my URL at my Tumblr? http://bensemisch.tumblr.com/ and then do a blitz of music photos with write-ups of the shows/bands to cover up the front page?

quote:

New name

Very nifty, I like it. It was way better than Camera Setting Photography, it actually sounds like it might be some kind of music publication, and I think it works perfect, very nice job.

Side note: I don't know why the navigation bar falls off. It didn't used to do that. Son of a bitch, I'm not good with this stuff.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Yeah out of all the ones I thought up, Two Senses blew them out of the water. Granted, I didn't come up with it but the person who did was glad to let me use it.

Betrayal, good old west coast hardcore

flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/4827341877/

The Ghost Inside, I think I need to re-process this one

flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/4827852227/in/set-72157624456160777/

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 25, 2010

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Got to shoot the Butterfly Effect the other night; got some great shots with a new 70-200 2.8.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

rockcity, where do you stow your gear when you're shooting Warped?

I sweet talked my way to parking near the backstage area, so I left my lighting gear in my car for the majority of the time. I took it out for a couple of hours. I left it for a few minutes with some other photographers that were in the press area while I ran to shoot a band or two.

The show went pretty well today. I didn't shoot as many bands as I normally would have but I did a lot of posed work with my lots. Did posed shoots with Andrew WK, Eyes Set to Kill, The Word Alive, and Of Mice and Men. I'll post some shots by tomorrow. I'm leaving to go out west tomorrow and plan to do a lot of editing on the plane.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I went to my first psychobilly show. It was definitely interesting.

Also, red lights on white clothing thats spattered in red paint, makes me take terrible photos.

But, this guy was entertaining.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

pr0digal posted:

I love no barrier hardcore shows.
Yeah they're way too much fun to shoot.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Some Reign Supreme

flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/4827995097/

flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/4827992391/

When fans bumrush the stage

flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/4828601080/

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

rockcity posted:

Did posed shoots with Andrew WK
MUST. SEE.

I would love to do something like that, I'd just live in fear that nothing I did could live up to the awesomeness that is AWK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

psylent posted:

MUST. SEE.

I would love to do something like that, I'd just live in fear that nothing I did could live up to the awesomeness that is AWK.

One of the photographers that I ran into at my Warped date said he was a really humble and down to earth guy when she photographed him

*edit* with link to photos http://www.victoriamorse.net/?p=151

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 26, 2010