Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Endorph posted:

How many workers does WWE even have who's native language isn't english?

Kozlov?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Maryse, Justin Gabriel, Primo, The Great Khali, Yoshi Tatsu, and Vladimir Kozlov.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Maryse, Justin Gabriel, Primo, The Great Khali, Yoshi Tatsu, and Vladimir Kozlov.
So I guess the best talker out of those is Maryse by default, since she's the only who isn't playing up the "english is their second language" thing and actually gets some promo time.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Endorph posted:

So I guess the best talker out of those is Maryse by default, since she's the only who isn't playing up the "english is their second language" thing and actually gets some promo time.

*rants in french*

Eh. Gabriel hasn't been awful on the mic. (Though I thought English was an official language in South Africa?) That's a sad current bunch though.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Tonfa posted:

*rants in french*

Eh. Gabriel hasn't been awful on the mic. (Though I thought English was an official language in South Africa?) That's a sad current bunch though.

I thought the white South African population generally spoke Afrikaans as their mother tongue? Maybe I'm wrong.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
After reading many threads in WH2K, I've come to find out Ultimate Warrior is a conservative nutjob that despises gays. I remember about 10 years ago some of my friends telling me Warrior was gay and he had gotten blackballed from wrestling for coming out of the closet on national TV. Has anyone else ever heard these rumors? How do you think they came to be when Warrior seems to be at the complete opposite spectrum?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

I thought the white South African population generally spoke Afrikaans as their mother tongue? Maybe I'm wrong.

there's 11 offical languages for South Africa, English is one of them.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

The Croc posted:

there's 11 offical languages for South Africa, English is one of them.

Oh I know, I just thought that English was generally spoken by the black population more so than the white one, just because one of the issues with apartheid was that the white government refused to teach English in public schools. Like I said though, I am far from an expert on South Africa, Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit, but anyway, from his website:

quote:

048 What languages do you speak?
Afrikaans is my first language

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 25, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

savinhill posted:

After reading many threads in WH2K, I've come to find out Ultimate Warrior is a conservative nutjob that despises gays. I remember about 10 years ago some of my friends telling me Warrior was gay and he had gotten blackballed from wrestling for coming out of the closet on national TV. Has anyone else ever heard these rumors? How do you think they came to be when Warrior seems to be at the complete opposite spectrum?

There were tons of bogus Warrior rumours back in the day. He was probably the main wrestler for crazy rumours. The greatest of which was that he died and was replaced by Texas Tornado.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Lone Rogue posted:

There were tons of bogus Warrior rumours back in the day. He was probably the main wrestler for crazy rumours. The greatest of which was that he died and was replaced by Texas Tornado.

I was about to post exactly this. In a business filled with insane rumors (Macho Man raping Stephanie, et al), Warrior was head-and-shoulders above the rest.

By the way, Savinhill, did you know Ultimate Warrior feuded with this very website? No bullshit. http://www.somethingawful.com/d/legal-threats/legal-threat-ultimate.php

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I was about to post exactly this. In a business filled with insane rumors (Macho Man raping Stephanie, et al), Warrior was head-and-shoulders above the rest.

By the way, Savinhill, did you know Ultimate Warrior feuded with this very website? No bullshit. http://www.somethingawful.com/d/legal-threats/legal-threat-ultimate.php

I didn't know he feuded with this site. Thanks for that link, did anything more ever happen with the feud?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

savinhill posted:

I didn't know he feuded with this site. Thanks for that link, did anything more ever happen with the feud?

We sent Orlando Jordan to fight him in Spain.

It didn't go so well :(

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
If TNA actually got that to happen it would be the best thing ever.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

savinhill posted:

If TNA actually got that to happen it would be the best thing ever.

Sending Orlando Jordan away to Spain?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
I was thinking about how Matt & Jeff Hardy are both on the main rosters of the two promotions and was wondering about real life siblings in different promotions at the same time.

Bret was in WCW while Owen was in the WWF in 1998.

Brian Armstrong was the Road Dogg in the WWF while his brother Brad was Buzzkill in WCW in 2000.

Scott Steiner was in WWE while Rick was in TNA in 2002-3.

Cody Rhodes was in WWE while his half-brother Dustin was Black Reign in TNA in 2007.

Any others?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Edge was in WWE while Christian was in TNA.

BrutusBeefcake
Jun 6, 2003

Burrito posted:

Edge was in WWE while Christian was in TNA.

Ahem, these days they are just lifelong friends.

Brickhouse Betty
Sep 11, 2001

Well well well
Looking at the WH2K Fvaorite Finisher thread, I have to know: What the gently caress is up with Marcus Cor Von's Pounce?

It just looks like a crappy shoulder tackle, but everyone here seems to love the poo poo out of it. What am I missing here?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The only tackle style move that looks worse than Edge's spear. Dunno why anyone likes it.

Well those and Mongo's shoulder tackle.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Brickhouse Betty posted:

Looking at the WH2K Fvaorite Finisher thread, I have to know: What the gently caress is up with Marcus Cor Von's Pounce?

It just looks like a crappy shoulder tackle, but everyone here seems to love the poo poo out of it. What am I missing here?

He comes at the wrestler from the side and usually they sell it like death by being sent flying across the ring. It's a cool looking move.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddJFLgY8UgY
In this clip Jimmy Valiant looks like he weighs 120 lbs., how did he get so skinny?
He really looks like he's ready to drop dead.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Jerusalem posted:

He comes at the wrestler from the side and usually they sell it like death by being sent flying across the ring. It's a cool looking move.

It was also one of the few moves that really benefited from the six sided ring. It's just not quite the same when done in a standard ring.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I was thinking about how Matt & Jeff Hardy are both on the main rosters of the two promotions and was wondering about real life siblings in different promotions at the same time.

Brian Armstrong was the Road Dogg in the WWF while his brother Brad was Buzzkill in WCW in 2000.

Scott Steiner was in WWE while Rick was in TNA in 2002-3.

Cody Rhodes was in WWE while his half-brother Dustin was Black Reign in TNA in 2007.

Any others?

Lanny Poffo stayed in WWF for a year after Randy Savage left for WCW.

Rikishi was in TNA for a year while Umaga was wrestling in WWE.

If we're just counting related and not necessarily siblings Eddie was in WWE for a year while Chavo was still in WCW.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Does the WWE actually own the rights to Doink the Clown? I'm curious because he still makes appearances in WWE being portrayed by other wrestlers, but apparently Matt Borne still plays him in the indies.
I think WWE owns the gimmick and indies technically aren't allowed to promote "Doink" appearances. It's the kind of thing that flies under the radar, but WWE could probably take action against if they really wanted to.

I once worked with a Doink that was simply advertised as "The Wrestling Clown" since the promoters wanted to play it safe (although he was verbally referred to as Doink at the show itself). My favorite workaround was an old firehouse show flyer that just took out the "i" and called him "Donk."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Any others?

This was also reversed when Owen was briefly in WCW while Bret was in WWF in the early 90s.

amplifierWORSHIP
Jul 29, 2007

you're a man. let 'em dangle.

Jerusalem posted:

yes, the real impact of the pounce depends a whole lot on the recipient and how they sell it.

willie "da bomb" richardson had a beautiful pounce on the most recent Chikara show I watched. somebody gotta gif dat. hell, even a scrawny guy like the Human Tornado can pull the move off well, like so http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD1zyaFE800

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

LightsGameraAction posted:

Lanny Poffo stayed in WWF for a year after Randy Savage left for WCW.

According to wikipedia, Lanny Poffo last appeared in the WWF shortly after the 1992 Survivor Series, several years before Randy left.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Edit: Ker-plunk, ker-pllunk. Whoops. Where's my thribble?

I am quite stupid.

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009

According to wikipedia, Lanny Poffo last appeared in the WWF shortly after the 1992 Survivor Series, several years before Randy left.

He last appeared in wcw several years before his contract ran out.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

He last appeared in wcw several years before his contract ran out.

Right, Randy & Lanny were in the WWF at the same time and then in WCW at the same time.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Johnny Ace and Animal were in different/opposing promotions several times. They got to work together in late 99 as Johnny Ace and the Road Warriors were a three man team for Baba's funeral.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Right, Randy & Lanny were in the WWF at the same time and then in WCW at the same time.

While we're on the topic. What was the deal with Lanny and WCW? It seems almost like a waste of a career.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

While we're on the topic. What was the deal with Lanny and WCW? It seems almost like a waste of a career.

They hired him due to his brother. His brother just bought the Gorgeous George gimmick and told him he could use it. Lanny got ready by getting into shape and dying his hair. However, WCW never called him and refused to answer his phone calls. All the while Lanny got paid. It seems like its just WCW being WCW.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've heard that it was a sort of deal they had with Savage. They could have him but they needed to have Lanny too. Then they didn't really want to use him so his salary was just kinda' thought of as part of Randy's.

Don't quote me on this, though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

I've heard that it was a sort of deal they had with Savage. They could have him but they needed to have Lanny too. Then they didn't really want to use him so his salary was just kinda' thought of as part of Randy's.

Don't quote me on this, though.

Given what they had to do to make Hogan happy, this would not surprise me at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Matt Sydal (Evan Bourne) is with WWE while his brother is still working the indies, if that counts.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Brickhouse Betty posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaTU7whcGi8

PERIOD

no seriously watch some other videos of it, if the person sells it well it looks awesome

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
When was Cena's last iconic promo? I'm trying to find the equivalent of Jericho's Fatal 4Way promo or Miz's crumbs promo, or Swagger's trophy promo.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaTU7whcGi8

PERIOD

no seriously watch some other videos of it, if the person sells it well it looks awesome

Where has Monty gone since he was cut by WWE anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hinoarashi
Mar 28, 2010

Manwithastick posted:

Where has Monty gone since he was cut by WWE anyway?

He wasn't cut, he asked to leave to take of some family issues.

Apparently, he has a personal training business that's really profitable.