Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Green Puddin posted:

Any ideas? Or am I hosed?

You don't need any 'domain' stuff. It'll probably be easier to just continue using Windows 2000 on this box than go through learning Linux.

Note that I said easier, and not 'more fun'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope
Ubuntu server edition + webmin is a super easy way to set up exactly what you want. You can use webmin to configure Samba, sync passwords/users, and set up all of your file permissions. You can also disable webmin access from outside of an IP range (which I recommend doing), and do other things to make sure your box stays secure.

I should note that lots of people don't like access panels for security reasons, but as long as you take the appropriate steps to keep your panel/box secure, you should have no problems. It's a good way to get started, but just be aware that it helps to know what webmin is doing 'under-the-hood' in case you ever have problems. That said, I think it's pretty ideal for doing something quick like a small file server.

benitocereno fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 22, 2010

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

benitocereno posted:

Ubuntu server edition + webmin is a super easy way to set up exactly what you want. You can use webmin to configure Samba, sync passwords/users, and set up all of your file permissions. You can also disable webmin access from outside of an IP range (which I recommend doing), and do other things to make sure your box stays secure.

I should note that lots of people don't like access panels for security reasons, but as long as you take the appropriate steps to keep your panel/box secure, you should have no problems. It's a good way to get started, but just be aware that it helps to know what webmin is doing 'under-the-hood' in case you ever have problems. That said, I think it's pretty ideal for doing something quick like a small file server.

Keep in mind, webmin writes smb.confs for samba3, not everything it puts out works in samba4.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

You guys are amazing. I'll for sure be installing samba3 with webmin on this new Ubuntu server box.

Now this is opening a door for me, wondering what else I could do...

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Lukano posted:

I know I'm likely to get a lot of 'rawr, circumventing corporate security policies!!!' feedback from this question, but I'll ask it anyways;

How would I go about forcing split-tunnelling with linux and an openconnect client, on a VPN connect that technically has split-tunnelling disabled server-side?

There's a convoluted side-explanation to my search, involving me having a spare laptop I brought in to work - connect to the 'public' wifi AP, and VPN in to the corporate network all in order to use Synergy+ for keyboard and mouse sharing.

The hitch is that they've disabled split-tunnelling on the employee VPN in order to prevent accidental bridging and whatnot, which while I don't really agree with - I can't do much about. Various other VPN policies prevent me from SSH'ing and VNC'ing to my server at home once I'm connected to the VPN, which is a further frustration for me.

That said, I've seen it referenced quite often in my searching today, that there's really nothing the VPN host can do to dictate behavior of the remote machine, including forcing a split tunnel on a VPN connection that has split-tunnel disable being pushed out to the remote machine. I just can't seem to find any examples of how to do so.

I've played with the various network-manager and route defenitions, if only to prove that they do infact have split-tunnelling disabled properly. As for manually specifying the route and whatnot, I'm at a bit of a loss. I also took a peek at the openconnect cli tool, but no obvious luck their either.

Any linux smartypants have some alternate suggestions? Ubuntu 64bit on the laptop.

I take no credit for the solution, as I had some assistance from anothr party - but in the interest of sharing my solution, this is all it took ;

when connected to the VPN;

route del default gw 0.0.0.0
route add default gw 172.19.6.1
route add -net 172.16.0.0 netmask 255.240.0.0 dev tun0

Simple as that, synergy's connecting to my workstation via the VPN, but everything outside of that network is routing out of the WLAN. Yay!

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Whats a good substitute for notepad++? I particularly like the tag highlighting so I can find my opening/closing tags easily.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm pretty much brand new to Linux. I have Mint 8 installed on laptop. I am trying to write a very simple script that will put some information into a text document, then email me that text document. My only experience sending email is through webmail or a Windows program such as Outlook Express.

Is there a simple way to setup a POP3 email account on my laptop so I can use this script?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hughmoris posted:

I'm pretty much brand new to Linux. I have Mint 8 installed on laptop. I am trying to write a very simple script that will put some information into a text document, then email me that text document. My only experience sending email is through webmail or a Windows program such as Outlook Express.

Is there a simple way to setup a POP3 email account on my laptop so I can use this script?

:eng101: POP3 is a 'receive' protocol, not send

http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/12/01/how-to-send-email-from-the-linux-command-line/

Many email servers will reject your home computer directly sending mail, so you will probably have to configure additional settings.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

rugbert posted:

Whats a good substitute for notepad++? I particularly like the tag highlighting so I can find my opening/closing tags easily.
Take your pick of any of Linux's 300 graphical text editors; they should all do this. Kate and GEdit are standard choices included with KDE and GNOME, respectively, but you have basically countless choices out there.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

rugbert posted:

Personally I favour JEdit:
- cross-platform, can use the same configuration files on all OSes
- plugin support in Java and Scala (and lots of pre-existing plugins)
- syntax hilighting rules are XML (unlike Scintilla-based editors which require recompilation)

But as Misogynist says, there's a shitload out there - look around in the package manager, install them all, pick one you like.

GringoGrande
Jul 27, 2001
Nah...
Any time spent using any editor other than vim is a colossal waste of time. If you are inclined to use emacs, you are better off using vim at a weird angle, that way you get the RSI and a usable editor.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

GringoGrande posted:

Any time spent using any editor other than vim is a colossal waste of time. If you are inclined to use emacs, you are better off using vim at a weird angle, that way you get the RSI and a usable editor.

This man speaks the truth. VIM is all you want, all you'll ever need, and all you should be using.

It's also the most awesomest thing that ever awesomed.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bob Morales posted:

:eng101: POP3 is a 'receive' protocol, not send

http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/12/01/how-to-send-email-from-the-linux-command-line/

Many email servers will reject your home computer directly sending mail, so you will probably have to configure additional settings.

Thanks for the link. Is there a roundabout way to what I'm looking to do? Have an email sent to myself once a week. It doesn't matter to be if I use the cli or if I can somehow setup the visual interface to do it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks for the link. Is there a roundabout way to what I'm looking to do? Have an email sent to myself once a week. It doesn't matter to be if I use the cli or if I can somehow setup the visual interface to do it.

Just look up using a 'smart host'

http://www.elandsys.com/resources/sendmail/smarthost.html

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lukano posted:

This man speaks the truth. VIM is all you want, all you'll ever need, and all you should be using.

It's also the most awesomest thing that ever awesomed.

I hear that a lot, but I never hear why. What makes it so much better than every editor out there? What does it have that they don't? Granted I haven't used it a great deal, but from my limited use the answer appears to be "nothing apart from a really annoying interface".

What am I missing?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
vim allows you to do the wildest things with the least effort. Things that require you to navigate through your GUI editors requiring virtual tourist maps can be done using a few easy keystrokes in vim. Okay, that requires you some knowledge of said functionality, but you're going to acquire that during general usage.

Just one example that had me in awe again was me trying to fix reflowing errors while converting some PDFs to EPUB.

The used tool can revert word breaks, but fails so when special characters are involved. These were german PDFs and the errors happened due to characters ä, ö and ü.

So what I had to deal with was instances of "ä-", "ö-" and "ü-"'s at the end of the lines. Using search functionality in regular GUI editor, I have to go three times manually through the document, because a) most editors don't do regular expressions and b) had to verify each search result, because editors again don't allow you to tell where to look in a line. Then I would have had to fix everything myself by hand, because of b) and because GUI editors can't do line joining in search and replace.

vim however, you can actually tell it to do all that. You can tell it to look for specific things across the document, in regular expression form, and then how to proceed with each instance found. I told it to look for every like that ends in "ä-", "ö-" or "ü-", remove the last character (which would be the hyphen), and then join it with the following like. Instead of loving around in a horrible GUI editor, I just needed to type that in vim and my document was instantly fixed:

:g/[äöü]-$/s/.$//|j!

And voila.

tl;dr: vim owns the poo poo out of you!

--edit: Altho, my first contact ever with vim was pretty hilarious. Never read any instructions about it, started it on a Linux computer in text mode and almost lost it because I hadn't a loving clue on how to quit it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Except it's not 1976 anymore and most GUI editors also have features like "regex search and replace" these days:

code:
c-F
([äöü])-\n
c-I
$1
m-A
That does exactly the same thing in jedit (including the line joining), and in fewer keystrokes. NEdit, which I used for nearly a decade before switching to JEdit, has equivalent capabilities. This "killer feature" of vim is standard in today's editors (and the editors of ten years ago).

I remain open to being convinced, but pretty much every argument in favour of VIM I've heard so far* is patently untrue when it is compared to the graphical editors of today, rather than the graphical editors of the 80s.

* with the exception of "you don't need X for it", which is true, but also not my primary use case.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

vi or some variant of it is installed on basically any Unix anywhere ever, which is an awfully compelling reason to at least have a working knowledge of it. I generally use more full-featured GUI editors for giant projects, but vi is extremely quick for scripting and light coding, especially when it's being done locally on the server.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Misogynist posted:

vi or some variant of it is installed on basically any Unix anywhere ever, which is an awfully compelling reason to at least have a working knowledge of it.

I quite agree; I use vi, emacs and pico on a regular basis for the reasons you stated, and heartly recommend becoming, if not fluent, at least competent with them. I'm just talking from the perspective of choosing it as one's primary editor.

That said, there's probably an editors megathread somewhere where this is more appropriate, so I'll go looking for that. Sorry for the derail.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
If you need a GUI, there is GVIM. Best of both worlds.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

nano!

GringoGrande
Jul 27, 2001
Nah...

ToxicFrog posted:

I hear that a lot, but I never hear why. What makes it so much better than every editor out there? What does it have that they don't? Granted I haven't used it a great deal, but from my limited use the answer appears to be "nothing apart from a really annoying interface".

What am I missing?
The more time you spend with the interface, the better it gets. You pick up tips and tricks on how to do stuff quickly and efficiently, and after a while you're editing your files with muscle memory alone. That is why time spent using other editors is a waste of time.

Harokey
Jun 12, 2003

Memory is RAM! Oh dear!

GringoGrande posted:

The more time you spend with the interface, the better it gets. You pick up tips and tricks on how to do stuff quickly and efficiently, and after a while you're editing your files with muscle memory alone. That is why time spent using other editors is a waste of time.

Basically this. Once you're really familiar with using it, you can do everything without ever touching a mouse. This allows you to navigate through and make changes to files in the time it would take to grab your mouse and navigate to the appropriate menu.

Of course it takes a while to get to this point, and graphical editors have a much lower learning curve.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Harokey posted:

Basically this. Once you're really familiar with using it, you can do everything without ever touching a mouse. This allows you to navigate through and make changes to files in the time it would take to grab your mouse and navigate to the appropriate menu.

Of course it takes a while to get to this point, and graphical editors have a much lower learning curve.

Being a CJ I don't think I'd ever do enough with vi to justify the learning curve. I do my script writing in Geany. I'm good enough with vi to edit something on another machine. And if i want to do something funky, I just ask my coworkers, some of who are vi experts.

I do use vi search & replace a lot though, to edit /etc/apt/sources.list (hooray local mirror!).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

GringoGrande posted:

:raise: But...you can say that about any editor with a decent UI. "You get better at it with practice" and "you can edit using the keyboard alone" are not properties unique to vi. Hell, you could argue that graphical editors are better at this because of a shallower learning curve - you can use the menus to learn the keyboard shortcuts while shedding the mouse dependency

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Vim's biggest benefits are, in my opinion, modal editing and consistency. (Combat Pretzel, did you really not know other editors had regex SnR? :eng99:)

Modal editing allows what most people think of as "vim" to exist: the fact that you can nuke the next 5 lines with 5dd, delete from the cursor over through the next 2 close-parentheses by typing d2f), or move to the next opening brace and copy through its matching closing brace with f{y%. The insanely terse typing that modality allows for works wonders on your hands/wrists -- far less mouse usage, far less typing, far less chording/stretching (hi Emacs). Not to mention it's simply faster in most cases.

The consistency is just that due to having a rich "command language" in the non-editing mode, patterns form that make it easier to figure things out (once you're proficient). Many commands are of the form (action)((repetition)?movement)? and so without having specifically read up on all the permutations of a command, you'll know you can probably repeat it or apply a movement modifier, by modifying the command in certain ways. Many movement commands that seek to the right, such as f and t, have capitalized versions which seek to the left. Etc.

So when you add that style of design onto something with one of the richest overall feature sets out there*, it's pretty amazing. I used GUI editors for a long time at a decently high proficiency level, but once I moved to vim fulltime, it was a serious boost.

It takes quite a while to scale the vim learning cliff, but once you do, it pays off accordingly. (Moreso than in ToxicFrog's point -- if you become truly proficient in both e.g. TextMate and vim, you will be able to do more, faster, with vim. But it will also take longer to reach that point than with TM.)

* The only editor I know of that surpasses vim in feature set is emacs, and that's due to a design philosophy issue re: integration with outside applications. It's also not a terribly large difference, either, barring certain things (LISP use, etc).

bitprophet fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 26, 2010

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

bitprophet posted:

Vim's biggest benefits are, in my opinion, modal editing and consistency. (Combat Pretzel, did you really not know other editors had regex SnR? :eng99:)
Those few I've dicked with, didn't have it. Visual Studio does, but gently caress, I'm not going to edit simple text files in Visual Studio. Back on Linux, I never used anything other than vim. I guess the more you know, etc...

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
My small business has just purchased a server for uploading our rather large video files to. I chose a server with 2TB of space so that each surveyor could have 100GB or so each, but the Ubuntu install on it has the 2x 1TB in RAID. At least, I assume it has, since df -h says 913GB or so available on /.

The company I'm using doesn't seem to provide a way to unraid these drives through their install page, so is there a way I can do this after a fresh install through SSH or anything?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

LittleBob posted:

My small business has just purchased a server for uploading our rather large video files to. I chose a server with 2TB of space so that each surveyor could have 100GB or so each, but the Ubuntu install on it has the 2x 1TB in RAID. At least, I assume it has, since df -h says 913GB or so available on /.

The company I'm using doesn't seem to provide a way to unraid these drives through their install page, so is there a way I can do this after a fresh install through SSH or anything?

It's most likely hardware RAID, so you're not going to be able to do anything without going into the BIOS and then reinstalling.

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
It's not, they charge extra for hardware RAID controllers. I was under the impression most server suppliers did. I think their reinstall interface just sucks.

(It's server.lu if anyone cares.)

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
What do the disk devices show up as? What does lspci tell you? Also dmidecode will give you hardware info as well.

It may be possible to un-raid it but if you want it done right I would ask for a reinstall.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

quote:

I chose a server with 2TB of space so that each surveyor could have 100GB or so each

Why not just use quotas or something to limit them?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I have an external USB hdd that is connected to a desktop running XP. I have a laptop running Linux Mint 8, and I want to be able to access that USB drive. Sharing is turned on for my desktop and I have samba installed on the laptop but I don't know where to look or how to find the USB hdd. Any tips?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Why not just use quotas or something to limit them?

Presumably he is, but needs 2TB storage total to store all of their stuff.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

I have an external USB hdd that is connected to a desktop running XP. I have a laptop running Linux Mint 8, and I want to be able to access that USB drive. Sharing is turned on for my desktop and I have samba installed on the laptop but I don't know where to look or how to find the USB hdd. Any tips?

Using Gnome on Ubuntu, I click at the top of the screen Places->Network and that shows all of the SMB stuff available on my LAN.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Presumably he is, but needs 2TB storage total to store all of their stuff.

d'oh, I need to learn to read.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

LittleBob posted:

First, check that the drives are actually configured in RAID by doing a cat /proc/mdstat, then report back.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bitprophet posted:

The insanely terse typing that modality allows for works wonders on your hands/wrists -- far less mouse usage, far less typing, far less chording/stretching (hi Emacs). Not to mention it's simply faster in most cases.
I have perhaps an atypical but interesting use case. Often times for work I'm running various scripted jobs 24/7 and they have the tendency to occasionally fail for whatever reason. When they do I get an SMS.

My phone has a QWERTY(ish) keyboard and an SSH client. Since I do all my script editing with vim in a remote screen session, it's fairly trivial for me to pull up the session on my phone, hop in vim, and quickly search down to whatever needs to be fixed and plug it. The fact that I can do it from my phone is a huge convenience because it means I don't always need to be near a laptop/workstation, and it means my jobs can continue running without nodes being idle all the time. Few other editors would really let me do this because they would either require a mouse, or chorded keystrokes that are really difficult if not impossible to do on a phone keyboard.

Perhaps the right answer is to have a job where I don't have to carry the pager all the drat time. But I'm a PhD student and I have a huge incentive to see that the experiments I run complete in a timely manner.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I have perhaps an atypical but interesting use case. Often times for work I'm running various scripted jobs 24/7 and they have the tendency to occasionally fail for whatever reason. When they do I get an SMS.

My phone has a QWERTY(ish) keyboard and an SSH client. Since I do all my script editing with vim in a remote screen session, it's fairly trivial for me to pull up the session on my phone, hop in vim, and quickly search down to whatever needs to be fixed and plug it. The fact that I can do it from my phone is a huge convenience because it means I don't always need to be near a laptop/workstation, and it means my jobs can continue running without nodes being idle all the time. Few other editors would really let me do this because they would either require a mouse, or chorded keystrokes that are really difficult if not impossible to do on a phone keyboard.

Perhaps the right answer is to have a job where I don't have to carry the pager all the drat time. But I'm a PhD student and I have a huge incentive to see that the experiments I run complete in a timely manner.

Things like this are why I love vi and why I'm glad it exists. I just don't want to use it for all my coding needs (which are limited).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

May I ask how you go about setting up SMS notification of script termination?