Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you

And I just noticed I missed the officers medal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
These are very very sexy models.

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh
Lovely- are they 15mm? Its hard to tell as the paint job is so good. You also work nice and fast!

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
28mm figures from Calpe Miniatures.

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh

LintMan posted:

28mm figures from Calpe Miniatures.

Ah of course. I remember having a look at the Calpe site. Very nice.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Here's my latest foray into the realm of 1/35 historicals.

First time trying one with the crew member included.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Anyone ever try paper ships?

http://warartisan.com/ships

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Anyone into DBA? Or FoG? Just thought I'd mention that Essex miniatures has a "buy 2 get 1 free" deal going on their 15mm DBA army packs until the end of the month.

No way I could resist that. Ordered some Armenians, Ilkhanid and Samurai, and some random useful stuff. It's not like I've gotten much done lately on the 4 unpainted armies I already have, but there's always room for more.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

R.S. Gumby posted:

Anyone into DBA? Or FoG? Just thought I'd mention that Essex miniatures has a "buy 2 get 1 free" deal going on their 15mm DBA army packs until the end of the month.

No way I could resist that. Ordered some Armenians, Ilkhanid and Samurai, and some random useful stuff. It's not like I've gotten much done lately on the 4 unpainted armies I already have, but there's always room for more.

Nnnngh, wasn't planning on bying more 15mm this year. I'll have to check it.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Couple of blurry WIP shots for you guys from tonight including a snazzy old chap with a green stuff moustache.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Going to start shading in the recesses next to get a bit depth but here we are with a bit extra colouring and the decals. 7th Armoured Division.

What you guys reckon? Weathering is next.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Painting up some Kiwi mid war Staghounds for a one day 600pt tournament in Wanganui early August.

Will end up as NZ Divisional Cav, C Squadron, troops 1 and 2 with 2 Staghounds in the HQ. Oh and limited Kittyhawks to fight all the tanks people squeeze into 600pt lists.

NZ Modifications depicted: Used 25pdr ammo boxes as extra storage, I have modeled these a little too small but will correct when I do the rest of the unit. Kiwis overloaded their Staghounds with lots of kit. One troop was deemed not fit for combat due to all the booze boxes strapped to the turret prevented it from traversing. And the most important modification is at the back near the engine is a modified artillery shell hooked up to the engine to boil water for tea or cocoa. These I painted green to stand out but most likey they were Khaki like the rest of the Armoured car.

Now to base them.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

big_g posted:

That dude's awesome. For about 5 seconds I thought he was smoking a pipe, but it's a microphone isn't it? You should replace it with a pipe.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Shallow posted:

That dude's awesome. For about 5 seconds I thought he was smoking a pipe, but it's a microphone isn't it? You should replace it with a pipe.

gently caress me that would have been the best idea ever!

I've done some more work on the colouring and some fairly subtle weathering. Going to do the tracks next.

Wombo
Dec 19, 2005
Fro Extraordinaire

big_g posted:

Bitchin tank pics

Brilliant! Is that just simple dry brushing and some subtle washes to achieve those effects?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
You are not helping my itch to get into 1/35 historicals at all. I still have a pair of 1/72 Pzkpfw 38 (t)s to paint!

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Devlan Mud posted:

You are not helping my itch to get into 1/35 historicals at all. I still have a pair of 1/72 Pzkpfw 38 (t)s to paint!

1/72 scale is awesome! If you look at one of the earlier shots I posted of the Cromwell there is an Airfix 1/72 scale Tiger that I picked up from Duxford IWM for like £3 I'm still waiting to finish.

Speaking of finished, this Cromwell is so nearly done I can taste it!

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Looking good there Big_g, although I do think the decals could be "faded in" a bit more. One question though, you have a very British tank, and very British commander, yet there is a big old American star on the back?

Not that this is a complaint or any form of historical spergery, but it just struck me as odd.

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga

No Pun Intended posted:

Looking good there Big_g, although I do think the decals could be "faded in" a bit more. One question though, you have a very British tank, and very British commander, yet there is a big old American star on the back?

Not that this is a complaint or any form of historical spergery, but it just struck me as odd.

I think a lot of models come with the same decal set and it's up to the modeler to figure out which ones go where and on which tanks.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

All the allies used the star as a universal air recognition symbol from D-Day onwards. They would all have one slapped on an vertical facing area somewhere. On the Cromwell it was generally on the rear engine deck or the top of the turret.

This being the 7th Armoured Division (Desert Rats) in Normandy I decided it looked better on the back, as opposed to the turret.

big_g fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 28, 2010

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
All the 8th ed WHFB being played at the club inspired me to go back to my samurai and paint some more infantry. Since the rest of the army looks realistically dark and drab, I wanted to inject just a little bit more colour and make some slightly more interesting bases.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

big_g posted:

All the allies used the star as a universal air recognition symbol from D-Day onwards. They would all have one slapped on an vertical facing area somewhere. On the Cromwell it was generally on the rear engine deck or the top of the turret.

This being the 7th Armoured Division (Desert Rats) in Normandy I decided it looked better on the back, as opposed to the turret.
Actually it was from the Operation Torch onwards, prior to that the Commonwealth forces were using the Red-White-Blue-Yellow rondel in Africa :eng101: :fh:

I hope the IWM in London has a similar stockpile of cheap Airfix, I need me quite a few kits to finish my Irish Guards and it'd be nice to grab them all at once.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

Actually it was from the Operation Torch onwards, prior to that the Commonwealth forces were using the Red-White-Blue-Yellow rondel in Africa :eng101: :fh:

I hope the IWM in London has a similar stockpile of cheap Airfix, I need me quite a few kits to finish my Irish Guards and it'd be nice to grab them all at once.

It does stock quite a few as I recall. Although how many are decent kits and how many are the crap ones designed for kids I can't remember. Still IWM London = awesome TANKS!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It doesn't really matter as long as they look good at the end of the day. Even if it takes a bit of fiddling to make them look pretty I can handle that.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I wish I wasn't so busy this summer. I really want to finish my ships.

And also my Soviets.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Bar getting a new pin vice and attaching two aerials to the turret and a spray of varnish this bad boy is done now.

Happy with the way the commander came out and I never thought I'd ever use one and now I'll probably do crew for all of my next ones. Trip to Hobby Craft this afternoon as well so maybe pick up a new kit there.

Anyway last four pics I'll impose upon you guys.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Well then next kit purchased on Sunday.

Seeing as this is the smart arse thread lets see who's the first person able to identify this little baby

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Looks like a panzer II to me.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Devlan Mud posted:

Looks like a panzer II to me.

Shoop da Woop. Not exactly complex I know but still...

Here's some finished construction shots for you guys. (is any one interested in these 1/35 models I keep posting?)

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

big_g posted:

(is any one interested in these 1/35 models I keep posting?)

I really enjoy seeing your progress on models. I haven't done 1/35 scale stuff in years (since I was a kid) so it's cool to see someone who knows what they're doing.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Eh, it's not really appropriate, but gently caress it, it keeps the thread active. :p

You should post more about your painting techniques, though. That'll at least keep it tangentially related.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Chenghiz posted:

I really enjoy seeing your progress on models. I haven't done 1/35 scale stuff in years (since I was a kid) so it's cool to see someone who knows what they're doing.

Well I think this is only my 7th or so model in this scale so I'm still on a steep learning curve myself. I can see bits on all of them that I'm not happy with. Its only been recently I've started the 1/35 as its all been Gamesworkshop or Flames of War before that mainly.

One wicked point is because of the cost factor you can pick up a quality top of the range model from £25 and that can last a weekend just in build time alone. You can also be as complex as you like with added photo etched parts, crew members and extra stowage. They also display really well.

So Basically you all already have the tools and paints so get googling and pick up a "cheap" Tamiya or Dragon kit and give it a go. What could go wrong?

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
I have a 600pt tournament this weekend and have painted up some NZ Staghounds for it. The list is pretty weak compared to the horrible things you can squeeze into 600pts. Here is what I am taking:

HQ 2xStaghound armoured cars

Armoured car platoon (2xStaghounds, 1xStaghound II CS)

Armoured car platoon (2xStaghounds, 1xStaghound II CS)

All together now!

Not pictured due to looking ugly without decals are my limited Kittyhawk air support.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

big_g posted:

So Basically you all already have the tools and paints so get googling and pick up a "cheap" Tamiya or Dragon kit and give it a go. What could go wrong?

Mainly I have a hard time figuring out what I'm going to do with the model when I am done. I live in a pretty tiny apartment and will probably end up in an even smaller one next year. It's hard enough to justify all the space my warhams take up, haha.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Those Staghounds look wicked. Good luck for the tournament at least you have chosen a well themed and excellently painted list.

Take loads of photos of the your games and the other forces and post them here.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

My order of Richard III and his posse has arrived, but one thing I missed before I placed the order is that the figure isn't wearing a surcoat. Now, I know they were pretty much phased out in the 15th century, but this seems to suggest that he was still rocking one, and it would add color to the figure rather than just a mass of silver.

So history nerds, should I sculpt one? Or are the Perrys right?

My guess is that surcoat might be worn at court, but not on the field. To add color to a Late Medieval/Early Renaissance army, add flags.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Good showing for the Staghounds. Missions were just Hold the line and Free For All. I won every Hold the Line I played (I attacked) but lost every FFA. Soviet heavy tanks dominated the placings as you might of guessed with the format. My Staghounds however won best army and earned myself a copy of Blitzkreig.

Here are some pics:
Hounds living it large behind some trees

Finger of doom!

6pdr vs Panzer 38(t)'s

Staghounds surrounding some poor Finns, my 2IC is near some trees to the right stopping it being used as a ambush point for 2xPak38s

Panzer IIIJs

Soviet infantry

T34s try to sneak on the table edge. Elsewhere some T70s get shot up from some Marders.

My Hounds attack FJ

Churchill infantry tanks complete with notes on the back for people who forget what their own models are armed with

Those AT rifles aren't going to do jack against those unfriendly KV2s

Sneaky Staghounds!

Oh dear, out of shot are two Marders who just tore up the platoon

Horde of T26s attack a hostile tape measure

And now that the hounds have had a run around this is my next project

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

LintMan posted:

And now that the hounds have had a run around this is my next project

Are those Polish Lancers?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

They certainly look to be. Napoleons Polish guard lighthorse lancers, Lintman? Good looking models, where are they from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It's just awfully coincidental.

I've been listening to the Sharpe's series on audiobook, and yesterday I was listening to Sharpe's Gold, right at the part where the Polish Lancers were seen riding down some Major.

And then I come look at this thread, and there are Polish Lancers.