Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I finally got together the money to go to a trade school for nursing. I'm sooooo excited. Someone, please tell me that there will be some kinda decent job market for LVNs in a year. Lie to me if you have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

patb01 posted:

Does it matter where you get your ADN?

Reason I'm asking is my local community college has a good program which no longer has a wait list but a metric fuckton of prereqs for admission, yet Apollo College has ads up saying they can get you an RN in as little as 18 months. If I go in with some degree mill associates will that hurt me in the hiring process?

It definitely could hurt you, it really depends on the reputation of the college and the demand for nurses in your area. In St. Louis there were a couple of degree mill ADN schools that were definitely looked down upon by the better hospitals in the area. There were also a lot of legit, reputable nursing schools around from which they could hire all the nurses they needed. Also, most degree mill credits won't transfer to a university should you ever want to go back to school for your BSN, which a whole lot of hospitals in my area (NYC) are starting to require of their new hires.

edit: also check the NCLEX pass rates of whatever school you're considering. They should be on your state's Board of Nursing website. The diploma mill schools that I am familiar with both had atrocious pass rates.

otter space fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 19, 2010

chisquared
Aug 12, 2003

Any nurses in the Northern New England area know of the reputation of University of New England? They have a 2+2 ADN/BSN (with a continuation to CRNA) that I can make work pretty easily, and what I can find of them looks very good. I have a few other options which are a little less convenient, but this could be a great fit if they're generally good.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit

Iron Squid posted:

I finally got together the money to go to a trade school for nursing. I'm sooooo excited. Someone, please tell me that there will be some kinda decent job market for LVNs in a year. Lie to me if you have to.

Many hospitals I know in NYC have an enormous choice of new grad RNs with BSN's, and its impossible to get jobs for many people. Brutally honest here... LVN... maybe in a nursing home? Get your RN/BSN ASAP. My hospital is phasing out all LPN (similar to LVN) positions as people retire and hiring only RN's now.

awshucks101
May 11, 2006
Cool thread. I'm looking to change careers in the next couple of years and have a couple of cousins that are RN's and are enjoying it. All the Fall 2010 CNA classes here are already full at the cc, and I can't afford a (Concorde, U of Phoenix, ect.) private school so I guess I'll just wait. It's been a long time since I attended college, so any likelihood of just emailing the CNA teacher and just begging them to let me in?

I found a CNA textbook for a decent price online, but where's a good place to go for the others for some pre-study? (Human Anatomy and Physiology)$150. Give me a break.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

You can work wherever you like when you finish, which is always more likely to be NHS anyway. I think if you decide to drop it half way through you forfeit any chance of getting another NHS funded bursary.

I wouldnt know if the NHS sees it as a write off, from my experience a lot of people drop out of nursing courses. But then again the NMC is apparently looking at making mentorship even more important in maintaining your registration, so there must be quite a few people out there needing training.

That seems very strange. Almost any other organisation would expect a minimum of two years work from someone who they had funded for training. It's not cheap.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Lady Demelza posted:

That seems very strange. Almost any other organisation would expect a minimum of two years work from someone who they had funded for training. It's not cheap.

The NHS isnt really like any other organisation - it is massive and publicly funded. I would assume that the NHS can fund Nurses / Dieticians / Radiographers / Physios / and many more because it is in the country's interest to train people for these positions at a high standard.

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 12, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love

patb01 posted:

Does it matter where you get your ADN?

Reason I'm asking is my local community college has a good program which no longer has a wait list but a metric fuckton of prereqs for admission, yet Apollo College has ads up saying they can get you an RN in as little as 18 months. If I go in with some degree mill associates will that hurt me in the hiring process?

Apollo is such a horrible school they had to change their name to carrington or some poo poo because all their students were failing the nclex or dropping out.

Avoid.

atlas barfed
Aug 17, 2006

awshucks101 posted:

All the Fall 2010 CNA classes here are already full at the cc, and I can't afford a (Concorde, U of Phoenix, ect.) private school so I guess I'll just wait. It's been a long time since I attended college, so any likelihood of just emailing the CNA teacher and just begging them to let me in?

Find out when the tuition is due for the community college. If it's anything like my school, come the first payment date all the students who haven't paid will be booted from the course.

awshucks101
May 11, 2006

atlas barfed posted:

Find out when the tuition is due for the community college. If it's anything like my school, come the first payment date all the students who haven't paid will be booted from the course.
August 3rd is the date. Good tip, thanks. This just seems like the way to go for a career change in this economy for someone on a budget. Now to figure out a way to quit my job and still pay bills while I attend classes.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
It seems like a Bachelor's degree is rapidly becoming the new standard for new nurses. I know two people who have graduated with Associates degrees in the past year, and neither one of them has been able to find a job. I don't feel like this is necessarily fair, as the students I studied with at community college seemed just as dedicated as the students at the University I'm attending, but it seems to be the new reality.

Anyone recent grads care to comment on this? I know the economy is so bad right now it's hard for anyone to find a job.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Space Harrier posted:

It seems like a Bachelor's degree is rapidly becoming the new standard for new nurses. I know two people who have graduated with Associates degrees in the past year, and neither one of them has been able to find a job. I don't feel like this is necessarily fair, as the students I studied with at community college seemed just as dedicated as the students at the University I'm attending, but it seems to be the new reality.

Anyone recent grads care to comment on this? I know the economy is so bad right now it's hard for anyone to find a job.

I'll be graduating with a BSN next May and I've heard rumors that it's difficult for ANY new grad to find a job. Everyone wants experience, experience, experience.

However, I think you are correct in that, in the long run, most places will want nurses with a BSN. Right now though, it seems like every new grad is having a tough time.

Compo
Mar 30, 2007

Cats have been killed for less.

Mangue posted:

I'll be graduating with a BSN next May and I've heard rumors that it's difficult for ANY new grad to find a job. Everyone wants experience, experience, experience.

However, I think you are correct in that, in the long run, most places will want nurses with a BSN. Right now though, it seems like every new grad is having a tough time.

I live in the Kansas City, KS area and graduated this past May with my BSN. After doing the job search thing, I agree, it seems like everyone wants experience. "One year of experience required." "One year of experience preferred." Blahblahblah. I was eventually offered a position from the unit I did my practicum in.

We were told from the get go that hospitals are starting to require a BSN. There are at least three major hospitals in this area that recently changed the minimum education for a nurse to BSN.

patb01
Jul 4, 2008
Albuquerque NM weighing in, I checked the 3 big hospitals here, all 3 just say Graduate from a Nursing program, or ADN nursing as requirements, no experience for drat near everything, University of New Mexico Hospitals do really want you to speak a second language, Spanish, Navajo or one of the other Native languages but it's more of a preferred thing. I guess it depends on your area and the staffing

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
There's over 100 open positions at the hospital where I work. For external candidates, they currently (this week) have 44 positions for which a GN/unexperienced RN would be considered, and 3 LPN positions that require no experience.

Looking at the website for the hospital down the street, there are ~25 positions that would consider a GN, including a couple in ICU.

There's also a VA hospital in town, which lists at least 5 current external positions that would consider a GN.

The state prison nearby has 9 unfilled positions for RNs.

I work on a 32 bed unit (58.6 FTEs), and we've hired 9 new grad RNs in the last 4 months. So, putting very little effort in, I found lots of opportunities for new grads, just within 10 miles of me. I know 12 to 18 months ago we had a de facto hiring freeze here (Michigan), but things seem markedly better now. SE Michigan if it matters to you.

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of people enjoy being dead.
I know I'm always talking about correctional nursing here, but due the complete and utter shittiness of California's prison health system they are DYING for nurses (even contracting out jobs so you aren't working for our bunk-rear end state) and recently changed the application from "ONE YEAR EXPERIENCE + RN LICENSE" to "OH GOD PLEASE WORK FOR US."

(they really did take the prior experience requirement off :toot: )

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Ah, holy gently caress. Christ.

Nursing school begins tomorrow.

Star Craft 2 comes out on Tuesday.

:smith:

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.
I looked at the requirements for working as an RN here in Wichita KS, and all of the hospitals here only require an ADN, but a BSN is preferred. I'll be going through an ADN program, so hopefully I'll be able to get a job where I have my clinicals.

Also, when I was in labor I was chatting with my nurse, and she said that after her first semester of nursing school she was given a job as a nurse assistant on a PRN basis, and that they later offered her a position in that unit when she graduated. Has anyone done this? It sounds awesome, and she's working in L&D, which is (I think) where I ultimately want to end up.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Iron Squid posted:

Ah, holy gently caress. Christ.

Nursing school begins tomorrow.

Star Craft 2 comes out on Tuesday.

:smith:

Starcraft 2 comes out tomorrow, my 4 weeks off from Uni start today! Hell it's about time! Got a few essays and revision to catch up on though. Best of luck with your training, marine.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

qentiox posted:

Also, when I was in labor I was chatting with my nurse, and she said that after her first semester of nursing school she was given a job as a nurse assistant on a PRN basis, and that they later offered her a position in that unit when she graduated. Has anyone done this? It sounds awesome, and she's working in L&D, which is (I think) where I ultimately want to end up.

This happens all the time (in my experience). Several classmates of mine ended up externing on units where they'd had clinicals. It's commonplace on my unit for an RN to have directed a certain extern or student to the supervisor after telling the super to consider them for a temp position; and we've done the opposite for certain people.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:
As a somewhat related aside to the above, here's an article in the Buffalo News about a nursing residency program some of the local hospitals are using:

http://www.buffalonews.com/incoming/article79951.ece

Compo
Mar 30, 2007

Cats have been killed for less.

qentiox posted:

I looked at the requirements for working as an RN here in Wichita KS, and all of the hospitals here only require an ADN, but a BSN is preferred. I'll be going through an ADN program, so hopefully I'll be able to get a job where I have my clinicals.

I held an "extern" position at KU Hospital in KC while I went to school there. From my understanding, the position is made for this kind of situation... they want you to be a tech, then transition to an RN roll. I had a classmate who worked on the same floor as me, and she did end up getting hired there.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

quote:

Sands study finds that majority of nursing drug errors occur when a nurse is interrupted while withdrawing meds from the OMNICELL.
SOLUTION: they place a red tape on the floor in the shape of a box in front of the OMNICELL. While in “The Box” the nurse is not to be interrupted ---- no talking, no questions, no communication.
RESULTS: Med errors drop to almost zero!

Has anyone else seen this? My employer has immediately put this into practice. I wonder how well this will work, considering 1/3 of our PRNs and 1/2 of our dailies do not come from the omnicell.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Well, poo poo. I wasn't supposed to start my RN program until January. I receive a call this morning stating a seat opened up for the August class. We have a class meeting on Tuesday and the program starts August 23rd. Hooray!

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Well I'm about a week into my LVN program. So far its been pretty basic and kinda slow-paced. A lot of filler stuff, like trying to determine what color one's personality is. (I'm Green!)

On the other hand, the number of my classmates who looked befuddled by the addition and subtraction of fractions tells me that a lot of them won't be around in a few weeks.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Anyone know any RNs that walk around with calculators?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

XausF1 posted:

Anyone know any RNs that walk around with calculators?

You kind of need one for titrating your vasopressors, or calculating your I&O's.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

You kind of need one for titrating your vasopressors, or calculating your I&O's.

And calculating AVO2 differences and modified Fick equations for cardiac output.

My calculator gets stolen a lot.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

otter space posted:

And calculating AVO2 differences and modified Fick equations for cardiac output.

My calculator gets stolen a lot.

FICK's are a pain in the rear end I am glad we have CCO monitors on my unit. The way it works at my hospital is that we have a Cardiac ICU which is all like STEMI's and post Cath lab crap. Then across from that unit is mine the Surgical ICU which takes the post op CABG's, Valves, and Heart Transplants, along with every other surgical train wreck. Anyway the CICU side doesn't usually have the fancy CCO swanns w/ SVO2 monitoring and they do FICK's all the time, our post ops always have the fancy Swann's with the digital crap.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

FICK's are a pain in the rear end I am glad we have CCO monitors on my unit. The way it works at my hospital is that we have a Cardiac ICU which is all like STEMI's and post Cath lab crap. Then across from that unit is mine the Surgical ICU which takes the post op CABG's, Valves, and Heart Transplants, along with every other surgical train wreck. Anyway the CICU side doesn't usually have the fancy CCO swanns w/ SVO2 monitoring and they do FICK's all the time, our post ops always have the fancy Swann's with the digital crap.

Most of our patients are swanned up, but not all. It depends on the surgeon. I'm kind of surprised that your SICU takes on all the post-op cardiac cases; my (now former, I guess) cardiothoracic ICU is strictly an open heart/lung unit, and all the other surgical train wrecks go to the SICU side. Each ICU is managed completely differently. It's the most dysfunctional place I've ever worked though, which is why I just bailed for a new job.

I'm curious, how are your patient/nurse ratios in your ICUs?

edit: nm, saw in one of your previous posts that you never go above 2 patients per nurse. We get tripled assignments ALL THE TIME. Our manager, who is a dialysis nurse and never worked a day of cardiothoracic ICU in her life, thinks that once a patient is extubated they must be stable. Some seriously unsafe poo poo goes down in that unit on a daily basis.

otter space fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 30, 2010

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

otter space posted:

Most of our patients are swanned up, but not all. It depends on the surgeon. I'm kind of surprised that your SICU takes on all the post-op cardiac cases; my (now former, I guess) cardiothoracic ICU is strictly an open heart/lung unit, and all the other surgical train wrecks go to the SICU side. Each ICU is managed completely differently. It's the most dysfunctional place I've ever worked though, which is why I just bailed for a new job.
Yeah our hospital is a little odd according to all the travelers that have come here in that we don't have a Cardiothoracic ICU. Yet strangely enough we have a Cardiac ICU for the MI's and post Cathlab crap.

quote:

edit: nm, saw in one of your previous posts that you never go above 2 patients per nurse. We get tripled assignments ALL THE TIME. Our manager, who is a dialysis nurse and never worked a day of cardiothoracic ICU in her life, thinks that once a patient is extubated they must be stable. Some seriously unsafe poo poo goes down in that unit on a daily basis.
Bed control does that poo poo to us some times at nights. I'll get a heart extubated and then an hour later they tell me I am getting an admit and who knows if this admit is going to be some ER trainwreck who's septic and coding en-route. But yeah we ALMOST never go above 2:1. The only time I've seen 3:1 is when we have teamed two patients with full orders to transfer to medical just waiting for clean beds teamed with a legit ICU patient and even then that is rare.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm officially accepted into the August 2010 RN class. I have my first day of orientation tomorrow! Who else is starting their program this year, or is currently in the program?

patb01
Jul 4, 2008
Best of luck there, I've started the Liberal arts prereqs for nursing, then I have to petition the school for admission then take a basic patient care class before starting the nursing cirriculium. so I've got at least a year before I start the core classes.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

patb01 posted:

Best of luck there, I've started the Liberal arts prereqs for nursing, then I have to petition the school for admission then take a basic patient care class before starting the nursing cirriculium. so I've got at least a year before I start the core classes.

Thanks. I need to purchase a stethoscope here in the next few days, does anyone have a recommendation? I know jack poo poo about makes and models for anything in the medical field. I have a big head, if that helps in the recommendation.

patb01
Jul 4, 2008
A Littman Cardiology 2 scope is what comes highly recommended, check online for the best deal, yeah it ain't cheap, but it will get you through school and in to your career.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

mason likes onions posted:

Like most things, you tend to get what you pay for. I have a Littman Cardiology III, and I've never had a complaint with it. If I had to replace it today, I'd most likely buy a http://www.grxmedical.com/grxmedicalcd-29cardiologystethoscope.aspx

Whatever you get, put your name [and phone number] on it. Lots of people pay for engraving; mine wears a wristband with my name and pager number, and has always found its way back to me.

Quoted from the top of the previous page.

Edit VVVV It will. If you own one, there's no point buying a new/better just for school. However, for anyone about to spend ~$70 on a Littmann, the GRx is a better product for the same(ish) price.

Battered Cankles fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 5, 2010

patb01
Jul 4, 2008
I have a Littman Classic from my days as an EMT, I think that'll serve me well for nursing school

krazynuts
Jan 15, 2008
I just started an accelerated ASN program for 15 months. I'm in my third month, and I've started hearing rumors about new RNs who can't find jobs. Is there anything I can do to stand out? Do employers look at grades at all? What were y'alls salaries right out of school? Were you only able to get night/weekend shifts? Also, any RNs out there who work in doctors' offices? I'm about to start my first round of clinicals next month. Any pointers? Also, I graduated this past May with a Bachelor's in Biology. Do I have a chance of getting into a MSN program after working in the field for a bit? Or do you think I would need a BSN for that? Is there a big pay difference in ASN v. BSN? Even with a degree in Biology? Any information, stories, helpful hints would be great.

Denari
Dec 28, 2008

mason likes onions posted:

Quoted from the top of the previous page.

Edit VVVV It will. If you own one, there's no point buying a new/better just for school. However, for anyone about to spend ~$70 on a Littmann, the GRx is a better product for the same(ish) price.

Disagree. Littmann is one of the better scopes for a reasonable price you can get.

Don't get the electronic ones, however, since you guys don't listen to enough BS to really want to place that much investment in a scope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Denari
Dec 28, 2008

Compo posted:

I live in the Kansas City, KS area and graduated this past May with my BSN. After doing the job search thing, I agree, it seems like everyone wants experience. "One year of experience required." "One year of experience preferred." Blahblahblah. I was eventually offered a position from the unit I did my practicum in.

We were told from the get go that hospitals are starting to require a BSN. There are at least three major hospitals in this area that recently changed the minimum education for a nurse to BSN.

Sorry for the double post.

KCK is horrible for new grads of any caliber. They also play a lot of school snobbery around here. If you didn't graduate from KU or JCCC then you are third rate (at least according to what I've been told from RNs)

My suggestion is move to Topeka and fart around at St Francis or Stormont for a few years to get the year in, then back to KC.