Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Beer Coaster posted:

FWIGTEW and Other First Wedding Acronyms

Working at a photography equipment rental company must be incredibly frustrating sometimes.

Yeah but it's offset by the number of cool lenses you get to shoot with pro-bono, almost any time you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_euUMN-V1s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DaNzA posted:

You should go out and buy lotto. Having two drives failing at the same time is extremely rare unless they are on the same computer or something.
Not really. There's a reason we try to mix serial number ranges in enterprise arrays: disks produced at the same time tend to die at the same time, double so if you start using the survivors heavily (let's say, restoring files or rebuilding arrays).

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

Lets hope the model doesn't flake!

:(

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Mannequin posted:

Yeah but it's offset by the number of cool lenses you get to shoot with pro-bono, almost any time you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_euUMN-V1s

I know someone who got a job at a rental house solely to check out lighting gear for free. On slow weekends he would show up with a U-Haul and load every pack and stand they had up and go do really epic shoots.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Paragon8 posted:

:(

:lol: I feel your pain.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

McMadCow posted:

:lol: I feel your pain.

I'm glad I'm running a policy of only doing location tests with models I haven't worked with before. Studio time in London is expensive!

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Paragon8 posted:

I'm glad I'm running a policy of only doing location tests with models I haven't worked with before. Studio time in London is expensive!

Ouch, I can imagine. Sorry to hear about your flake though. It happens quite often when you're not dealing with agency models.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

McMadCow posted:

Ouch, I can imagine. Sorry to hear about your flake though. It happens quite often when you're not dealing with agency models.

Yeah, it's annoying but I didn't really lose anything - just forced to sit on my rear end all day instead of shoot.

You don't really want to work with someone who is feeling sick either, so I'd much rather her postpone and want to be there rather than obligated.

I've assisted on shoots with agency models and the difference between them and MM is just ridiculous. I'm way too self conscious of my skills to approach the models my bosses work with right now.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
So does anyone here listen to TWIP (This Week in Photography)? Is there any back story to why they seem to be obsessed with iPhones?

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

rcman50166 posted:

So does anyone here listen to TWIP (This Week in Photography)? Is there any back story to why they seem to be obsessed with iPhones?

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

rcman50166 posted:

That's pretty much every photographer with an iPhone though. Kind of wish they'd shut up about it, gets old.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

rcman50166 posted:

I think its just the geekiness of the hosts. I don't find it too offensive most of the time and I think the bulk of the audience is the hobbyist crowd.

edit: there's also good reason to push iPhone apps that are developed by people like Chase Jarvis, Lisa Bettany, and Scott Bourne.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
Any good photography/art podcasts I should be listening to while where on the subject?

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Twenties Superstar posted:

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/

Oh dear, it's beaten the XSi and 5D...:ohdear:

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

fronkpies posted:

Any good photography/art podcasts I should be listening to while where on the subject?

I like the Candid Frame, and Jeff Curtos history podcast if you haven't listened to it yet.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Picked up this weekend: An Inner Silence: Cartier-Bresson's Portraits. Love it. I just don't think of him as a portrait guy. drat good stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Inner-Silence-Portraits-Henri-Cartier-Bresson/dp/0500288755/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280178882&sr=8-1

grayscale
Feb 27, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stzmHm6eF-0

Call me a rube, but I ain't never seen someone screw a pizza into wood before.

"I've done many cheese-pulls in my day."

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Glass Knuckles posted:

Give me back my three minutes and eight seconds. I cannot believe I just watched that.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Glass Knuckles posted:

I guess it takes 150 people to polish a turd.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
When I saw that, I felt it was only half serious. I know that they do some crazy things for food styling, but the cheese puller hand model lady is out of control.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pompous Rhombus your gear buy/sell/trade thread was such a hit I literally stole your OP and made a hockey equipment thread. Hope you don't mind.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Pompous Rhombus your gear buy/sell/trade thread was such a hit I literally stole your OP and made a hockey equipment thread. Hope you don't mind.

Not at all!

How do you ship a hockey stick, anyways?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Hockey sticks are easy. UPS guys hate bowflexes the most.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Not at all!

How do you ship a hockey stick, anyways?

Wrap it in newspaper and ship it, if you're the last guy I bought one from. Genuinely surprised it didn't get smashed.

So pretty much like every photography purchase on eBay :haw:

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Whoa. http://itchyi.squarespace.com/thelatest/2010/7/20/the-longest-photographic-exposures-in-history.html

I didn't even know this was possible. The article shows a few extremely long exposure photos -- from 6 months to 2 years and beyond. How did they do it? Pinhole cameras, ultra neutral density filters, some kind of special film?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

rcman50166 posted:

I gave up a listening to them about a 6 months ago as every single podcast followed the same formula:

Iphone section, video section, 40 minute long, unedited interview with some boring guy, unexciting questions section.

Occasionally, they'd have a guest star, like Bettany who's only claim to fame is that she is pretty. Which doesn't work so well on an audio podcast.

I suspect that they have the problem that there isn't a lot of news in photography and that as they aren't a 'proper' news outlet, they don't get access to juicy news.

It's a shame as they are nice guys. One of them was a programmer for LR (his name is in the splashscreen!) - but he never talked about it much which was a wasted opportunity (possibly afraid of his NDA)

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

The germane question is how one ships used hockey pads without calling the local bomb disposal unit.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

rcman50166 posted:

Oh dear, it's beaten the XSi and 5D...:ohdear:

Well a lot of the people who are spread out between SLRs will also have a iPhone as well.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

dakana posted:

Whoa. http://itchyi.squarespace.com/thelatest/2010/7/20/the-longest-photographic-exposures-in-history.html

I didn't even know this was possible. The article shows a few extremely long exposure photos -- from 6 months to 2 years and beyond. How did they do it? Pinhole cameras, ultra neutral density filters, some kind of special film?

After doing some math it appears that you can get insanely long exposures by making a pinhole camera very long. You can easily hit f/1024 with a one metre long camera. Couple that with a NDF and if you calculate for reciprocity you can reach multi year exposures.

Try it out http://pinhole.stanford.edu/phcalc3.htm

brad industry
May 22, 2004

fronkpies posted:

I've only listened to some of it, but some professor is posting his History of Photo lectures as podcasts and it's pretty good:

http://photohistory.jeffcurto.com/

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Those super-long-exposure pinhole photos are amazing, I'm surprised I hadn't ever heard of anything like that before.

downtown_man
Oct 7, 2005

Fishing for love in all the wrong places
Holy Shhhit

http://gizmodo.com/5597729/45-yard-sale-find-turns-out-to-be-200-million-worth-of-ansel-adams-photos

Lost Ansel Adams negatives found at yard sale for $45

Alvination
Aug 12, 2005

"Let me ask you something: what do women want?"

"Who cares?"
I want to go to more garage sales.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Guy who sold them can't even afford to buy a gun to off himself now, after being talked down from $70 to $45.

Alvination posted:

I want to go to more garage sales.

I always say this, but then I actually go to garage sales and they're all full of yellowed t-shirts, folding tables, and dinner plates from the 70s.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Martytoof posted:

Guy who sold them can't even afford to buy a gun to off himself now, after being talked down from $70 to $45.

I always say this, but then I actually go to garage sales and they're all full of yellowed t-shirts, folding tables, and dinner plates from the 70s.

Those dinner plates could be collectible Franklin Mint plates. Were there ever Ansel Adams collectible plates?

Alvination
Aug 12, 2005

"Let me ask you something: what do women want?"

"Who cares?"
The guy should at least give the seller 25 bucks just to be nice.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

So after 10 years, he just recently decided to have them checked out. I wonder why he waited so long.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

When I saw that, I felt it was only half serious. I know that they do some crazy things for food styling, but the cheese puller hand model lady is out of control.

Uh did you watch the whole thing? It's an advertisement.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So yeah, photography is a personal hobby of mine. However, any pictures taken are in the end withering somewhere on my hard drive. I figured, putting the useful ones on a microstock site might have some benefit? Yay or nay? I keep reading many things. What about that Getty cooperation with Flickr? Does that result in anything useful? Especially with a site as crowded as Flickr, without content review? Do they pay more than microstock sites?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

So yeah, photography is a personal hobby of mine. However, any pictures taken are in the end withering somewhere on my hard drive. I figured, putting the useful ones on a microstock site might have some benefit? Yay or nay? I keep reading many things. What about that Getty cooperation with Flickr? Does that result in anything useful? Especially with a site as crowded as Flickr, without content review? Do they pay more than microstock sites?

Microstock is poo poo for the industry and overall value of images, it can't hurt (you) as an amateur, but I prefer not to contribute to the eroding of the profession. I know that sounds :smug: as hell, but I think of it as common courtesy for the people out there trying to earn a living from it full-time.

The Getty thing isn't a terrible deal; Getty takes big chunk of the commission relative to other stock agencies like Alamy, etc, but they've also got the most eyeballs on your photos by a big margin as well. Even their pro rates are like this, so as far as I can tell the Flickr thing isn't taking advantage of people unduly or anything. That said, a pro I know won't touch Getty out of principle because of their lovely commission rate, and has just left his old stock undigitized up to this point.

I was accepted for it and still haven't uploaded anything; still considering putting together a portfolio for Lonely Planet Images, who pay a 40% commission (rather than Getty's 20-30%). You sign a contract giving the agency an exclusive license to your images for a certain number of years, so it's not something you want to jump into lightly. You can still make prints or sell them in a book of your images, but not as commercial stock.