Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Korwen posted:

I have never used Simple Green to strip plastic minis, and I am about to need to. Do you use it diluted or not? Do you do the whole "toothbrush until it's clean" and then wash it off with some warm soapy water and then call it a day? How good of a job will this do of getting my minis back to pre-crappy undercoat condition?

Don't dilute it, just toss em in tupperware and pour in the simple green. Leave them in for a couple days and take a metal brush to them (that's what I do and it doesn't hurt them at all) and they should be fine. Paint will cling to plastic ones but the metal ones will be nearly pristine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Nice work kingmob, simple and extremely effective!

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Korwen posted:

I have never used Simple Green to strip plastic minis, and I am about to need to. Do you use it diluted or not? Do you do the whole "toothbrush until it's clean" and then wash it off with some warm soapy water and then call it a day? How good of a job will this do of getting my minis back to pre-crappy undercoat condition?

If you want to get rid of the undercoat as well, and have access to a Dollar Tree, I'd actually recommend LA's Totally Awesome over Simple Green if you don't mind of disposing of the stuff properly: LA's is a little different, and will eat through primer quite quickly as well as paint. If you just want stuff that you can throw down the drain after wards though, stick with Simple Green.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Cross Postin' Dis:

I'm having a really fun time painting piggly wigglies:

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

KingMob posted:

Cross-posting from the Warmahordes oath thread:

And a non-oathed finished model:

They are ace.

What is your recipe for the greens?

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Mr Beens posted:

They are ace.

What is your recipe for the greens?

No recipe per se, just straight paint colours shaded with Army Painter Quickshade Strong Tone.

Wedgewood Green (Ceramcoat)
Khaki Tan (Americana)
Rosewood (Americana)
Army Painter Desert Yellow primer/basecoat spray.
Metallics, and all other minor colours (Ceramcoat)

Yep, cheapo paints all the way.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
How do you protect metal models from oxidisation? Is it just priming? Ive had some Squigs for about 2 years in the same box as a Skarsnik I bought a few weeks ago and the Skarsnik is already decaying but the Squigs look brand new.

My Casket of Souls really took a rapid nosedive before I whacked some paint on it aswell, but my Ushabti were fine.

Is it just the specific composition in that particular metal that defines how fast it will decay, or is it something else? I like to have my minis unprimed until I am ready to paint them.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I dont think oxidation really makes any difference, Ive primed yellow looking models and they dont have any surface damage

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Question on varnish, I decided to try and be cheap about it and picked up a can of clear flat varnish at Home Depot. I've never used it before so I tried spraying it on some old test minis but it seemed to do two things i didn't want. It didn't seem to coat all that well and metal seemed to become more of a flat Grey instead of metallic. Any suggestions for getting an even coat and did the varnish I get was totally wrong for the job?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Question on varnish, I decided to try and be cheap about it and picked up a can of clear flat varnish at Home Depot. I've never used it before so I tried spraying it on some old test minis but it seemed to do two things i didn't want. It didn't seem to coat all that well and metal seemed to become more of a flat Grey instead of metallic. Any suggestions for getting an even coat and did the varnish I get was totally wrong for the job?

No answer other than "dont be cheap". Buy testors model master gloss in the little cans for 5 dollars

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

No answer other than "dont be cheap". Buy testors model master gloss in the little cans for 5 dollars

See if i can find some, around here the nearest place with model varnish is where i play but its likely not all that cheap

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ezekiel_980 posted:

See if i can find some, around here the nearest place with model varnish is where i play but its likely not all that cheap

It usually is carried in RC "true hobby" type stores, yanno trains and junk. If youre in the US I carry it in my store.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

How would I go about stripping fully assembled temple guard that have been prime/basecoated in Krylon Patio Furniture Red?

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

sansuki posted:

How would I go about stripping fully assembled temple guard that have been prime/basecoated in Krylon Patio Furniture Red?

lol

You need to get simple green if you are talking plastic Lizards. You can chuck them in there for two nights then it will brush off using something with very stiff bristles like a smallish dog brush (my dog died but the soul still burns) or I've heard some people use steel wool.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

lol

You need to get simple green if you are talking plastic Lizards. You can chuck them in there for two nights then it will brush off using something with very stiff bristles like a smallish dog brush (my dog died but the soul still burns) or I've heard some people use steel wool.

I left them in for 3 months and came back with a wire brush, and nothing. I think they are chemically bonded.

Not my painting, told a friend I would help him strip them.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
Ok you hosed then afaik

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah I think anything strong enough to strip enamel or whatever the gently caress that dude used will probably wreck the models

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I don't know where I want to go with this guy.

The green is okay, and the stomach is on it's way, but how can I make the face pop better?

Also, my first Krylon white primered model!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Hey dudes :siren: SCI FI GREATCOATS IN DIS BITCH :siren:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Gonna need a bunch of those mind flayer heads.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

sansuki posted:

LA's Totally Awesome is probably your last resort.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

sansuki posted:

You can't. Krylon's patio furniture paints do, in fact, chemically bond to the surface of plastics. The paint itself has small levels of the same chemicals that plastic cement has, which of course bonds the pigment forever. If you really want to save them... Well, e-Bay them and get some money for them at least.

Sorry buddy. :ohdear:

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Is the paint thick as all get out? Can we see a photo to scrutinise and then laugh at?

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Quick question about bases: do people usually put ballast/flocking on the clear plastic flight bases, or are they left as clear plastic?

Most bases I've seen are clear, but I chalk that up to the painter also being too lazy to finish (or sometimes start) painting their models.

Will they look unfinished without a proper basing, or is the clear plastic the better way to go?

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Whats a good recipe for a cool grey that pairs well with bright orange?

Also turquoise and dark purple yay or nay?

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax

Two Headed Calf posted:

Also turquoise and dark purple yay or nay?

i've done it, after your first 30 bretonnian knights you start running out of color combinations.

it looks good but I wouldn't do a whole army that way.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Ok, who makes the underwater chaos dwarf looking dudes, those are awesome?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Mr.Booger posted:

Ok, who makes the underwater chaos dwarf looking dudes, those are awesome?

http://www.fantization.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=25
http://cavalcadewargames.com/cavalcade/Dragonblood_Dark_Mariners.html

Pretty awesome miniatures indeed, though the 3 he posted are the only 3 they have made so far.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Anyone have a good recipe for batch painting flesh, particularly faces? It's about time I get some of these drat guardsmen going.

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
Gonna be looking to buy some paints from you tomorrow PV!

Gotta get some painting done up ins.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

Gonna be looking to buy some paints from you tomorrow PV!

Gotta get some painting done up ins.

Cool, Im getting a bunch of new poo poo tomorrow, finishing off most of the p3 range (I think I might have every paint, but Im not 100%) and some new warmachine toys, etc.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

uncle jimbo posted:

Anyone have a good recipe for batch painting flesh, particularly faces? It's about time I get some of these drat guardsmen going.

I've seen a few people advocate Dheneb Stone foundation washed with Ogryn Flesh as a good way to batch paint flesh. Test it out on a model beforehand though in case you feel like it needs layers of Elf Flesh or w/e. v:shobon:v

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

bhsman posted:

I've seen a few people advocate Dheneb Stone foundation washed with Ogryn Flesh as a good way to batch paint flesh. Test it out on a model beforehand though in case you feel like it needs layers of Elf Flesh or w/e. v:shobon:v

Dheneb Stone then washed with gryphonne sepia or devlan mud (depending on the skin tone you want) works well for me.

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax
vomit brown with a coat of your favorite wash works really well too.

vomit is essentially the same color as the old bronzed flesh that I think they have discontinued outside of the starter set for whatever reason

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Tadhg posted:

Quick question about bases: do people usually put ballast/flocking on the clear plastic flight bases, or are they left as clear plastic?

Most bases I've seen are clear, but I chalk that up to the painter also being too lazy to finish (or sometimes start) painting their models.

Will they look unfinished without a proper basing, or is the clear plastic the better way to go?

I like to cover the bottom with a small amount of really, really wispy cotton and dry-brush it a sandy light brown. It gives the look of kicked up dust.

PaintVagrant posted:

Cool, Im getting a bunch of new poo poo tomorrow, finishing off most of the p3 range (I think I might have every paint, but Im not 100%)
P3 is the poo poo. I use GW metalics and washes and P3 colors and it's the best possible combination.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I know that superglue dissolves stryofoam, but spray varnish won't, will it? I don't want to gently caress up a whole bunch of scenery...

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

most aerosol sprays do melt foam as far as I've experienced it, just try a quick test spray on a scrap piece OR make sure you cover every square inch of foam in glue and paint so that the spray can't affect it one way or the other.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

enri posted:

most aerosol sprays do melt foam as far as I've experienced it, just try a quick test spray on a scrap piece OR make sure you cover every square inch of foam in glue and paint so that the spray can't affect it one way or the other.

Think I'll just get some brush-on. Safer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
The melting is usually caused by the propellants in the cans so i would wager that the varnish would so the same, still give it a test on something.

• Locked thread