Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
I went for Helios when I was fourteen, because I was a massive singularity techno-geek who thought a big mad uncontrollable A.I was a natural leader of men. Returning to the game now Dark Age seems the only responsible choice and seems to better fit the themes of the game. What the hell gives any of these mad bastards the right to decide the fate of humanity? They're all worse than each other. Hit the reset button. If the levels are anything to go by there's plenty of soy food and shotgun ammo to go round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
yes a complete technological and societal collapse is truly the only responsible decision

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
I still pick Helios ending, because all the other ones still end in the same fatal pattern of humanity: a bunch of apes trying to control other apes, because that's just how we're programmed naturally. The only possible exception may be the dark ages one, since it may be a big enough hit to our species to so drastically change our way of life that we actually consider the idea of long-term biological change in ourselves, though it could easily go the opposite direction, or just repeat history.

Helios clearly seems to have a decent idea of human nature, and seems to also have a decent enough goal of "success" defined that our emotional well-being is considered an important thing, and merging with Denton, who is supposed to be a relatively altruistic and good guy, would certainly help maximize human well-being. With everybody united in thought under guidance of an entity who strives for maximized prosperity, progress, and well-being, I'd be willing to bet that people end up better-off despite digitally-moderated thought. It could easily be true understanding of your fellow man, probably the best antidote for conflict and suffering you can think of.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
People have survived it in the past. The Illuminati brought the world an inch away from eternal, total slavery to megalomaniac techno-god Bob Page. And it's them or Helios who you know next to nothing about. What are the odds that a cobbled-together A.I composed of at least two seperate A.I's built for spying on and manipulating people fused to an unknown degree with a nano-augmented ultra-voilent super soldier turns out to be a charming benevolent dictator? Good? Good enough to bet the whole world for the rest of time on?

Or let people muddle on. As we have done for thousands of years. We survived World War II. A couple of decades we'll be back to normal. Given the choice of who to hand all of humanity to, forever, I'd say damning them both is the most responsible decision.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Fnoigy posted:

Denton, who is supposed to be a relatively altruistic and good guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DAPXMZk2iw

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
I said "supposed to", gosh darnit! You know what I meant! :argh:

BennyHillsraeli
Nov 7, 2009

The big society
I'm beginning to think that the Deus Ex sequel should have exclusively used the Dark Age ending, and kept JC Denton as the main character.

I'd quite like to have seen it as a post-apocalyptic affair, with JC's augmentations either stripped out entirely, and replaced as the game went on by more haphazard creations.

Trying to find Tracer Tong in a world where communications have collapsed would be a decent starting point for a plot.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

BennyHillsraeli posted:

I'm beginning to think that the Deus Ex sequel should have exclusively used the Dark Age ending, and kept JC Denton as the main character.

I'd quite like to have seen it as a post-apocalyptic affair, with JC's augmentations either stripped out entirely, and replaced as the game went on by more haphazard creations.

Trying to find Tracer Tong in a world where communications have collapsed would be a decent starting point for a plot.

Yeah, either this or a sequel in which the Helios ending was the real one, but Helios ends up corrupting JC and you either play a new agent or actually play as Paul and have to hunt JC down and either take him out or somehow extract the AI from him. Either angle would have been awesome. Maybe even add in some demented Neuromancer/Snow Crash-esque bits later on where you actually link up to JC's (or Helios') mind and it's just really surreal and features entire cities shifting around like Dark City and rooms morphing and bending around as puzzles.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 26, 2010

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Fnoigy posted:

Helios

I think people are equating the Helios ending of IW with that of the original. The goal of Helios in the original game was to moderate human society at the macro level as a dictator, monitoring communication and controlling the judicial system. The whole hivemind tactic doesn't come up until IW.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Ansob. posted:

Except he has JC with him.
Except we have nothing else to go on.
The second thing you wrote is wrong and the first thing you wrote is also a point against the second thing. JC would be a guiding and tempering influence.

Fargo Fukes posted:

Or let people muddle on. As we have done for thousands of years. We survived World War II. A couple of decades we'll be back to normal. Given the choice of who to hand all of humanity to, forever, I'd say damning them both is the most responsible decision.
But even if delayed, the choice may be inevitable. And guys like Bob Page would be there to want all the power just to have it for themselves. Besides, you don't really buy that much time.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The last level does give you reasons to pause about all of the endings. The Dark Age one is obvious, the Illuminati are a bunch of smug dicks, and at one point you get a transmission that Helios has taken over Hong Kong or something and outlawed the Triads, so maybe even that's not a good idea.

Personally, I just set up a save where I'd done the prerequisites for all three, then ran through them all in sequence. It's like I used to do when I read Choose Your Own Adventure books as a kid: put a finger in each page where there's a choice to be made, and backtrack each time I hit an ending.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn
If you honestly think the crosshair settling times in the game when you're under level 3 in something are anything sort of retarded you're crazy.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
A cool plot change/ ending would be:
Tracer Tong is only able to delay the killswitch, meaning you've only got a limited time to stop Page and the like. Merging with Helios is the only way Denton can survive, but JC is such a gently caress-up that instead of tempering the AI he ruins it. The ultimate only "good" ending would be to save Paul and merge him with Helios, creating a benevolent AI and sacrificing yourself.

Huh, that would actually be pretty cool and add tempo. Also, we're spoilering a ten year old game?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

The Supreme Court posted:

Also, we're spoilering a ten year old game?

It seems crazy, but because of this thread and the hype for DX 3 and the recent Steam sale, a ton of people are coming out of the woodwork who are playing it for the first time.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Helios ending is obviously the best. Let's see, you can

-destroy the world
-hand the world over to the shady, manipulative Illuminati, who basically started the game's entire conflict
-RULE THE WORLD AS A MAGNIFICENT COMPUTER GOD-KING

Gee which is the most appealing. I... we... yes indeed.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

From reading about IW, it seems like the plot is actually really good and I kinda wanna experience it, but at the same time I've heard too many negative things about playability issues (I would be using a PC) and I don't wanna bother too much with it. And I already watched all the endings on YouTube so whatever.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Incoherence posted:

It's like I used to do when I read Choose Your Own Adventure books as a kid: put a finger in each page where there's a choice to be made, and backtrack each time I hit an ending.
CYOA: Deus Ex
code:
If it is a shame, turn to page 73.

Page 73

"What a shame."

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Incoherence posted:

and at one point you get a transmission that Helios has taken over Hong Kong or something and outlawed the Triads, so maybe even that's not a good idea.

It outlawed organised crime groups? Good god man, that's monstrous!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that part always bugged me, it felt like whoever wrote it really wanted the player to pick the Helios ending

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It outlawed organised crime groups? Good god man, that's monstrous!

Yeah but by the time you leave Hong Kong, I thought the triads had been portrayed pretty positively? Obviously organized crime and all shouldn't exist and such but I always interpreted that message as ominous and slightly sinister.

edit: quoted the wrong post pretend i quoted the one directly above me

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

If you honestly think the crosshair settling times in the game when you're under level 3 in something are anything sort of retarded you're crazy.

I think that the crosshair shouldn't take more than like 3 seconds to fully relax, but it shouldn't zero in to a tiny point if you aren't at a high skill level. It should probably contract if you whip the mouse around quickly, too. I don't know if you meant sort of retarded or short of retarded.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Can i use the savegames from my standalone GOTY cd version of deus ex with the steam version ?

My old install isnt working on me for some reason

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

fleshweasel posted:

I think that the crosshair shouldn't take more than like 3 seconds to fully relax, but it shouldn't zero in to a tiny point if you aren't at a high skill level. It should probably contract if you whip the mouse around quickly, too. I don't know if you meant sort of retarded or short of retarded.

Wow sorry I hosed that sentence up didn't I. Yeah, it should just be less accurate overall at lower skill levels and a bit slower, right now at level 1 or 2 you've got to wait like 10 seconds and then not move.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
loving manual saves screwed my dumb rear end something fierce today. I saved in Paris right before fighting Gunther because I thought his killphrase would be located right before I fought him like Anna's was. Then made it through probably about half of Area 51 when I died like an idiot to a flamethrower.

Welp, try again tomorrow! :suicide:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Flamethrowers have got to be the most annoying things to fight in this game. I mean the guys holding them are fairly conspicuous but I unfailingly have the worst luck around them, like they'll ambush me around a corner or I'll have to reload before I can finish them off. The fire lasts nearly forever and unless there's something I'm missing, the only way to put it out is to jump into water or use a fire extinguisher. Usually they put one of the two nearby but it's kind of hard to concentrate when you're running around on fire.

Fortunately the enemies are rare enough for this to not be a game-ruining problem but still, I hate those guys.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Well the game kinda screwed me too. I came up behind two MJ12 guys thinking I could easily drop them both with two quick headshots. Only the first shot didn't kill the guy with the flamethrower, giving him time to make me extra crispy in the second I was stunned by this turn of events. Then I forgot to click on regenerate and was dead as soon as I dropped the second.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Well, I find it very interesting the different reasons people have for choosing different endings. Am I really the only one who went with the Illuminati ending usually? I guess I'm a bad person :ohdear:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Both the Illuminati and Helios endings rely on the player basically consenting to two different forms of picture-perfect fascism; one that relies on the strength of Humanism and rational ethics and the other relying on the unspoken guarantee that an impartial technological construct can make the best aggregate decisions.

The dark ages ending is basically the ultra-edgy "lol anarchy" route.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

3 posted:

The dark ages ending is basically the ultra-edgy "lol anarchy" route.

Except it's not? It's just an end to globalization, albeit probably temporary. All you're doing is wiping out the world's communication structure, it's not like local governments would completely cease to operate. There would be a lot of upheaval but that's a necessary thing to bring about the end of a massively corrupt regime.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

K8.0 posted:

Except it's not? It's just an end to globalization, albeit probably temporary. All you're doing is wiping out the world's communication structure, it's not like local governments would completely cease to operate. There would be a lot of upheaval but that's a necessary thing to bring about the end of a massively corrupt regime.

You are alsohanding the world over to corporations to completely gently caress over without any governments or groups of people meddling to prevent them from turning the world into a profit-driven dystopia.

So yeah, Bad End.

e; VVV this also happens. I quite like whoever wrote IW.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 27, 2010

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
More to the point, by destroying the Aquinas hub completely, you've created a massive power vacuum that will inevitably be fought tooth and nail for by thousands of entities and organizations wishing to seize control, basically creating a Somalia scenario writ large.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

In Training posted:

Yeah but by the time you leave Hong Kong, I thought the triads had been portrayed pretty positively?

I think you're conflating "being personable" with "being portrayed positively". Sure they buy you a drink, but they're still going to be getting protection money from everyone in the market. Their enemies are still going to end up in the canal, and they have no vested interest in getting the city working again and if Page through Versa Life is running the show they have insufficient power to do it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

and they have no vested interest in getting the city working again

Neither does Page and his band of cut-throat capitalists. If anything, they're worse, because the Triads at least have the feudal traditions to go on and will protect their subjects.

e; VVV

MrL_JaKiri posted:

And nor does Helios, but Helios still gets the city working again in a matter of minutes - something the other groups do not want to do.

Well, by that point, Helios has decided to make it its purpose to rule fairly. So yes, it's in Helios' interest insofar as it's part of Helios' goals.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 27, 2010

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ansob. posted:

Neither does Page

And nor does Helios, but Helios still gets the city working again in a matter of minutes - something the other groups do not want to do.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ansob. posted:

Well, by that point, Helios has decided to make it its purpose to rule fairly. So yes, it's in Helios' interest insofar as it's part of Helios' goals.

It's not a vested interest though.

Anyway the way I phrased my post was the most polite way of saying "Why the gently caress are you talking about Page, the conversation was about Helios vs the Triads" that I could think of

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Calling it the dark ages ending is kind of rich given that high-speed international communications didn't exist until the laying of the transatlantic telegraph cable in 1866, and was a pretty unreliable, small-time sort of thing until the 20th century.

E: And anyway, it's not like JC is also simultaneously destroying all the technology involved in international communication- he's just destroying the existing infrastructure. Sure, it's a blow. But the idea that he's doing some kind of irreversible damage, or that humanity will be plunged into the 1400s, is just silly.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 27, 2010

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

On the other hand, society is much more reliant upon them now than it was.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Pope Guilty posted:

Calling it the dark ages ending is kind of rich given that high-speed international communications didn't exist until the laying of the transatlantic telegraph cable in 1866, and was a pretty unreliable, small-time sort of thing until the 20th century.

You're right, let's call it the Steampunk ending instead.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Doc Hawkins posted:

You're right, let's call it the Steampunk ending instead.

Let's call it the "Tracer Tong is an idealistic retard" ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
I do like how they set up the advocates for the various endings in-game.

For the dark ages ending, Tong is the advocate, probably the most sympathetic of the three. He's a little :smug: about the 'first of many favors' with saving your life, but he's the most openly idealistic and helpful, which sort of mitigates the fact that he's advocating for the most reactionary solution to the problem by destroying modern society.

The Illuminati guy is Everett, who is extremely shady and ambivalent. The ending itself is the closest to maintaining the status quo as possible, which is a powerful incentive, and if it was just JC, or JC and Paul, or basically anyone else that the skeezy dude who kept his mentor on ice in his basement and was so focused on his goal he let his compound get infiltrated by some guy who sounds like Charlie from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Finally, the Helios. On the one hand, Daedalus was your homeboy right from the start, but on the other hand Icarus was a creepy stalker who did nothing but scare the poo poo out of you, and them plus the combined entity are all AIs with alien thought patterns, so who knows how much they can really be trusted to look out for humans. The solution they're advocating for is interesting; an impartial arbiter to solve the problems that humans have created for themselves and can't be trusted to solve. But a day or so ago half of that arbiter was the thing saying RUN WHILE YOU CAN.

Imagine how much more compelling merging with Helios would be if it was Tong begging you to do it? (Or how suspicious you'd get if it was Everett?)