Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guyver posted:

Well, we'll know at the end of the month if it's just a break or if interest is waning because volume nine is coming out on the 23rd and will be nothing but farming chapters.

It'd be awesome / hilarious if it's farming from now on all the way till the very last chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarf
Jun 8, 2006
Sorry for getting your hopes up with the bump, but in case you're interested, Volume 9 consists of existing chapters, and it seems he missed the deadline to get 65 in this months issue of 'Afternoon' (released 25th June).
Looks like we've got another month to go, I'm hoping we get two chapters then (but wouldn't put money on it).

Monthly manga is the best reason for cryogenics I can think of.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There's a guy on the mangahelpers Vinland Saga forum who said the hiatus is because the author is sick. No idea how true this is given the source, but I want to believe him at least.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Zarf posted:

Sorry for getting your hopes up with the bump, but in case you're interested, Volume 9 consists of existing chapters, and it seems he missed the deadline to get 65 in this months issue of 'Afternoon' (released 25th June).
Looks like we've got another month to go, I'm hoping we get two chapters then (but wouldn't put money on it).

Monthly manga is the best reason for cryogenics I can think of.

I h-h-hate you. :(

Oh well, time to pretend it doesn't exist for another month

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I suppose writing and drawing the most epic farming story known to man takes a lot out of you.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

FARMLAND: http://hox.fluffypress.com/archives/1395

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

JerseyMonkey posted:

FARMLAND: http://hox.fluffypress.com/archives/1395

Farmland Moe is the best moe. :3:

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
I was set to be disappointed that someone bumped it without an update. :neckbeard: Yay! New chapter and it's longer too!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The way this comic has been going lately with the farm-sim, I half expected it to start going into the history of ploughs. At least now we're getting foreshadowing and possible turmoil instead of looking for horses.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
This is what the new harvest moon should've been not that rune factory garbage. Vikings and poo poo.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
I could read farmville forever. :swoon:

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me

unprofessional posted:

I could read farmville forever. :swoon:

Seriously, I'd probably keep reading on the odd chance the manga would all of a sudden turn back to mega-bad-rear end :black101:. After seeing Thorfinn blush from a compliment though, that may be the deal breaker.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Wait, who's being ironic? This farming interlude is fantastic. It's a whole different perspective on the era really fleshing things out, and the grueling daily struggle for mundane accomplishments makes for a fascinating change of pace.

And while it's not strictly a good thing, there's a certain smug superior kind of schadenfreude to be derived from the boredom of the folks who only follow this manga for the 'he punched a loving horse!' scenes.

It's just as great as a historical manga as it's always been at its heart, just the surface has changed appearance.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eiba posted:

Wait, who's being ironic? This farming interlude is fantastic. It's a whole different perspective on the era really fleshing things out, and the grueling daily struggle for mundane accomplishments makes for a fascinating change of pace.

It's just as great as a historical manga as it's always been at its heart, just the surface has changed appearance.

Seconded. I unironically love the farming chapters and I wouldn't mind if the foreshadowing of an attack on the farm by an organised army / bandit force turned out to be a red herring.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I sort of want to see Thorkell show up, punch a plough horse to death, and then move on again. Otherwise I like this arc too :3:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Let's get to the sailing arc

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
i dont think even yokohama kaidashi kikko managed to make such an anticlimactic last page.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

nerdz posted:

i dont think even yokohama kaidashi kikko managed to make such an anticlimactic last page.

Someone doesn't get the inate suspense of ancient seed sowing, nor the implicit biblical allegory.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

nerdz posted:

If you don't like this or YKK then sorry bro you're broken go read some narutos

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

I like how the sense of threat in this series has evolved.

"Oh no, the enemy has surrounded us!"

"Oh no, it's raining! The horses will get cold!"

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

Eiba posted:

Wait, who's being ironic?
I honestly love it. I find the story to be like a wonderful novel.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

unprofessional posted:

I honestly love it. I find the story to be like a wonderful novel.

This is my point, there is no irony I jsut wish there were MORE so I could read more. The only problem with the farm stuff, up until recently was that it was SHORT farm stuff updated sporadically.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I am honestly hoping it continues being about farming, then goes to being about Sailing when they go to Vinland, then about farming and building infrastructure.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
I'll follow it to the Space Age as long as Thorfinn keeps blushing and getting his mind blown by technology.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I just wish he'd start killing people again.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Relax, murder-addict, they've put the revolver on the table with all that "The farm's too big, we're gonna eat it from bandits" talk.

Alternately, a single chapter of princely action would be nice. But I, too, dig the farming action.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Guys shut up the farm's going to be okay and they'll buy their freedom and Einar will marry that girl and everybody's going to be happy. :(

At least when the farm burns down, it'll be drawn really well.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
New chapter.

Now that the boss' other son is back from serving under Canute, I wonder if Thorfinn's past is finally starting to catch up to him and we'll get some insight on what brought him to the farm?

Feel a little bad about laughing at the thrashing nightmare panels while Einar casually wakes up. "Oh, it's morning." Feel less bad about laughing at Einar skipping away after running into slave girl.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
People who say the farming arc is boring are dumb. There are several interesting plot threads going now and things keep happening. While horse punching is certainly awesome, the change from the purely grim and gritty content has added a lot of depth.

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
I thought the best part of this chapter was Einar acting as a prayer coach.

"You gotta come all out! Half-assing it will only piss off the gods!

Dawning Horror
Jun 18, 2009

The best part of this chapter was the fistbump near the end and I will punch the horse of whoever disagrees. :colbert:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Luke Johnson posted:

The best part of this chapter was the fistbump near the end and I will punch the horse of whoever disagrees. :colbert:

I have no horse for you to punch, but you are incorect. The best part was that the fist bump made a star sound.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gyges posted:

I have no horse for you to punch, but you are incorect. The best part was that the fist bump made a star sound.

Nuh-uh, the best part was the faces Einar made while chatting with slave girl and after she left. The little spin and the goofy faces make the chapter, though the fistbump and praying were hilarious too.

I really hope Einar comes along on the voyage to the Americas after he becomes a free man. I really hope he brings his wife too, because even the bitchy mother seems in favor of them getting hitched which seems to set the marriage in stone barring her being killed. Please don't let slave girl die :ohdear:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

tsob posted:

Nuh-uh, the best part was the faces Einar made while chatting with slave girl and after she left. The little spin and the goofy faces make the chapter, though the fistbump and praying were hilarious too.

I really hope Einar comes along on the voyage to the Americas after he becomes a free man. I really hope he brings his wife too, because even the bitchy mother seems in favor of them getting hitched which seems to set the marriage in stone barring her being killed. Please don't let slave girl die :ohdear:

Her inevitable death will be the spark that sets Einar down the path of stone-cold warrior bad-assness and spur him to follow Thorfinn to the Americas.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Somehow I get the feeling that Thorfinn is going to hulk out to save those kids, even though they're thieves, and that'll be the thing that gets him moving out of the farm.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Zorak posted:

Somehow I get the feeling that Thorfinn is going to hulk out to save those kids, even though they're thieves, and that'll be the thing that gets him moving out of the farm.

Sorry, that seems pretty unlikely

Unless the kids have some connection to Thorfinn that I'm missing?

It's more likely that the newly returned son (Thorgin) Recognizes Thorfin and tries to kill him, forcing him to hulk out .

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Or maybe he just keeps farming.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I strongly suspect that Einar will die. Nothing less is going to make Thorfinn hulk out at this point. Having his only friend, the man who taught him how to be human again bite it would certainly get the plot moving. The old man is probably also a goner.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Zo posted:

Or maybe he just keeps farming.

After hulking out. Imagine the fields he could plough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Kingtheninja posted:

After hulking out. Imagine the fields he could plough!

Wouldn't that ruin the, "I need a horse," adventure?