Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

Scarf posted:

Hahaha, sorry for stereotyping.

I use Lo Rider nickels on one of my laklands. Plenty bright for me, but you may want to try the stainless steel ones if you want something super bright and cutting. My fingers just can't take stainless, cuts them up to shreds.

Don't worry about it, I understand that a lot of death metal players downtune. I play a five stringers so besides downtuning for certain songs to make them easier to play, I don't really need notes lower than the low B very often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Cheers for the recommendations guys, I'm gonna try some of this stuff soon - but this

Scarf posted:

"I Want You Back" - Jackson 5 (James Jamerson on bass)

this is fun as hell

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Beastie Boys bass lines are fun.
The "Gratitude" bass line is like my benchmark for fuzzy bass tone.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Scarf posted:

Huh, learn something new.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z91l_lPz1oc&videos=oJlQ5M2zZN8

Also, check out this sick Alphonso Johnson bassline:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClnSxd9CUrQ&videos=Uv32W80PpWc

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Another stupid question - how do I arrange things on an Ibanez GSR200 so the E string isn't quite so "boomy"? It's got a distinctly different sound from the other strings, to the point where it's really noticeable. Turning down the 'Phat II EQ' knob fixes the E string, but the rest of the strings sound really washed out. Anything I can do, or do I need to play more gently?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

AlphaDog posted:

Another stupid question - how do I arrange things on an Ibanez GSR200 so the E string isn't quite so "boomy"? It's got a distinctly different sound from the other strings, to the point where it's really noticeable. Turning down the 'Phat II EQ' knob fixes the E string, but the rest of the strings sound really washed out. Anything I can do, or do I need to play more gently?

Try adjusting the height of the pickups or changing the height of the strings via the bridge to even things out. You might have to experiment a bit.
While on the subject of great riffs, check out these two from Bootsy Collins. The guy who plays in those videos has an excellent channel where he demonstrates all kinds of classic bass lines from Jamerson and others.

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jul 27, 2010

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Cool, I'll give that a shot. Is it safe to adjust the height of just one side of the pickup, or does the whole thing need to be raised/lowered as a unit? I've never adjusted anything on a guitar before, and I'm a little intimidated by it, because I have clumsy fingers when it comes to this sort of thing.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Ok so I was half-right. Jamerson recorded the bassline on David Ruffin's take of the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccs1-TSQ4BQ

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Wow, apparently I have been omitting a couple of notes. TO THE WOODSHED

On the topic of fun basslines, "Barbarism Begins at Home" by the Smiths is a fantastic (if repetitive) groove with an edge. I play it all the drat time.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

AlphaDog posted:

Cool, I'll give that a shot. Is it safe to adjust the height of just one side of the pickup, or does the whole thing need to be raised/lowered as a unit? I've never adjusted anything on a guitar before, and I'm a little intimidated by it, because I have clumsy fingers when it comes to this sort of thing.

Yes, it is totally safe to raise or lower just one side of a pickup. All you need to do is turn the screw on the side of the pickup you want to raise/lower until you get the sound you want from it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Well, that was easy, and now it sounds better. I might have to play with it some more to see if I can get that perfect sound out of it, but for now it's pretty great.

Thanks for the advice guys!

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
An '04 Mac user from the UK. What's worse?
Holy crap. The £40 Washburn bass I posted about earlier, after cleaning the whole thing out and adding some new strings*, it sounds AWESOME. New strings really do make a difference and I'm glad I springed for some brighter strings. Slapping has never been so satisfying.

* Daddario XL Nickel Round Wound, Bass Guitar Strings - EXL170 XL 45-100 Long Scale Regular Light

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

micropenis posted:

Holy crap. The £40 Washburn bass I posted about earlier, after cleaning the whole thing out and adding some new strings*, it sounds AWESOME. New strings really do make a difference and I'm glad I springed for some brighter strings. Slapping has never been so satisfying.

* Daddario XL Nickel Round Wound, Bass Guitar Strings - EXL170 XL 45-100 Long Scale Regular Light

Glad to hear it!

Colin Ex Machina
Oct 16, 2004
I adopted a highway.
I'm moving on Sunday, away from the place I usually play music, so I'd like to keep the bass I currently usually play at the practice space and get another one for bedroom stuff. Doesn't have to be super-high quality, does have to be shortscale. Not averse to replacing the pickups.

Here's what I'm currently playing and I like it a lot: http://www.bass-guitar-museum.com/bass-8012-HOHNER-BARON-BASS-ELECTRIC-4-STRING-SHORT-SCALE

Not a big fan of Fenders, like lots of low-end, like SG-type or SG-ish cuts, would prefer to buy used, trying to keep it at least somewhat cheap. Any recommendations?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Colin Ex Machina posted:

I'm moving on Sunday, away from the place I usually play music, so I'd like to keep the bass I currently usually play at the practice space and get another one for bedroom stuff. Doesn't have to be super-high quality, does have to be shortscale. Not averse to replacing the pickups.

Here's what I'm currently playing and I like it a lot: http://www.bass-guitar-museum.com/bass-8012-HOHNER-BARON-BASS-ELECTRIC-4-STRING-SHORT-SCALE

Not a big fan of Fenders, like lots of low-end, like SG-type or SG-ish cuts, would prefer to buy used, trying to keep it at least somewhat cheap. Any recommendations?

Define "somewhat cheap."

If you have about $500 to drop, check out the Eastwood Classic 4. Hollowbody and shortscale. Or the Epiphone Allen Woody Rumblekat bass. Semi-hollow and shortscale.

Here's a video demo of the Eastwood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmSUjhcJaPo

And a vid for the Rumblekat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7zCTe90B04

The only downside to the Epiphone is that it has the 3-point bridge, which I really dislike. Some people it's not really an issue, and you can get a replacement (I think hipshot and gotoh both make 3-point replacements). But honestly it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Problem is, I doubt you'd be able to get your hands on either to try out before you buy. You MIGHT be able to find the Epiphone in a Guitar Center if you get lucky. But just order from somewhere with a good return policy. I don't think Musicians Friend sells Eastwood, but talk to Eastwood themselves and find out what kind of policies they have. Plus other big retailers online may carry them, I dunno.

Edit: And for a bit less, you can get a Hofner Icon violin bass.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hofner-Icon-Series-Vintage-Violin-Bass-?sku=511788

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 29, 2010

Colin Ex Machina
Oct 16, 2004
I adopted a highway.
The point I had in mind was sub-300.

Both of those look nice. Thanks for the recommendations.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

I recommend checking out the Ibanez semi-hollow basses. I picked up a AGB200 last summer, strung it with groundwounds, and now it puts a huge smile on my face when I play it. I was actually looking for an Eastwood Classic 4 when I bought it, the store had both so I tried them. The Ibanez had much better build quality and seemed to have more care taken to the details such as binding, inlays, and finish. The neck pup definitely gets that huge short scale semi hollow sound, lots of lows and mids, few highs.

I got it for $400 cad when our dollar was at parity with the USD.

edit for link: http://www.music123.com/Ibanez-AGB200-Electric-Semi-Hollow-Bass-511837-i1172867.Music123

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Colin Ex Machina posted:

The point I had in mind was sub-300.

Both of those look nice. Thanks for the recommendations.

Hm, well you can always try to find something used. Or grab one of the violin basses off of Rondo.

http://www.rondomusic.com/wvebvs.html

Doomy posted:

I recommend checking out the Ibanez semi-hollow basses. I picked up a AGB200 last summer, strung it with groundwounds, and now it puts a huge smile on my face when I play it. I was actually looking for an Eastwood Classic 4 when I bought it, the store had both so I tried them. The Ibanez had much better build quality and seemed to have more care taken to the details such as binding, inlays, and finish. The neck pup definitely gets that huge short scale semi hollow sound, lots of lows and mids, few highs.

I got it for $400 cad when our dollar was at parity with the USD.

edit for link: http://www.music123.com/Ibanez-AGB200-Electric-Semi-Hollow-Bass-511837-i1172867.Music123

Yeah, I'd 2nd the Ibanez route. Completely forgot about those. And it actually IS a short-scale, not just the pickup that gives it that impression.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 29, 2010

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I recently bought this beautiful bastard. It's amazing. I love it. However, I noticed something mildly disturbing.

There's no truss rod adjustment hole on the headstock.

After some investigation, I believe I found the truss rod adjustment hole... on the wrong end of the neck.

Does this mean that in order to adjust the truss rod, I'm going to have to take the strings off and screw the neck off, only to bolt it back on and restring it, which of course will make the tension swing wildly and make truss rod adjustments drat near impossible? :(

Am I missing something crucial here or am I going to have to take it to a professional for something as elementary as truss rod adjustment because this completely puzzling design?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Geisladisk posted:

I recently bought this beautiful bastard. It's amazing. I love it. However, I noticed something mildly disturbing.

There's no truss rod adjustment hole on the headstock.

After some investigation, I believe I found the truss rod adjustment hole... on the wrong end of the neck.

Does this mean that in order to adjust the truss rod, I'm going to have to take the strings off and screw the neck off, only to bolt it back on and restring it, which of course will make the tension swing wildly and make truss rod adjustments drat near impossible? :(

Am I missing something crucial here or am I going to have to take it to a professional for something as elementary as truss rod adjustment because this completely puzzling design?

Take off the pickguard, there should be a route in the body itself, to access it with an L-shaped allen-wrench. If you want, you can route the pickguard itself so you don't have to take it off each time you need to adjust it.

It's really not that uncommon. I've had several basses with trussrod adjustments at the heel instead of on the headstock. Hell one of my Laklands is like that. VERY early Fender basses required you to take the neck off completely to make the adjustment.

I actually find heel-adjustments more convenient. Just behind the nut the string tension is pretty taut, requiring you to loosen the A and D strings to make a proper adjustment. Down by the heel you've got a good bit of play in the strings.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 29, 2010

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker

Scarf posted:

Take off the pickguard, there should be a route in the body itself, to access it with an L-shaped allen-wrench. If you want, you can route the pickguard itself so you don't have to take it off each time you need to adjust it.

It's really not that uncommon. I've had several basses with trussrod adjustments at the heel instead of on the headstock. Hell one of my Laklands is like that. VERY early Fender basses required you to take the neck off completely to make the adjustment.

I have a 94CIJ Fender and it's like that. Any reproduction bass from before a certain year will have it recessed to the point where you have to remove the neck. My 02 MIA also has the truss adjustment in the neck pocket, although it's accessible without neck removal.

While a pain, it's certainly an aesthetic improvement over headstock adjustments IMO.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

You're hopefully only going to need to adjust it once or twice a year, so its not that big a deal.

If you want a nightmare truss rod adjustment try a Rickenbacker 4001. Two truss rods right next to each other under the strings by the tuners, that you need to use a socket on, and are probably bent into the wood. Also, you need to apply pressure to set the relief while tightening the nuts, otherwise the fingerboard can break off.

Though some people find it a little ugly, Musicmans have the best truss rod adjusting setup. The flipside (at least for me) is that I never need to adjust it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Bourbon posted:

Isn't someone here sponsored by Lakland? I'm looking for some opinions. So let me pose the question: Why would you (personally) choose something like a Lakland Skyline 44-01 over something like an Ibanez SR750? Or would you? They both have Bart MK1s and are close in price..

Ever make a decision?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Squier announced some new additions to the Vintage Modified line:

New VM Precision:

Looks to be about the same save for the finish now being trans-amber/butterscotch and the maple board.

New VM Jazz '77:

Again, looks to be the same specs save for the cosmetics. Note the strat-knobs.

New VM Jaguar:

P/J config. Looks a little weird not having the traditional jag controls on it. Plus I would have thought they'd have done binding on the neck like with the Jazz... Concentric knobs, could be problematic if they don't use some quality pots. We'll see.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
I like the looks of those! Well done Squier!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Oh, I should also note the new VM Precision has a soft-maple body as opposed to agathis this time. The Jag is agathis though, as is the '77 Jazz.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
I don't really get what the new Squire stuff is supposed to be. Did they just make their entry-level basses better or are they putting out actual decent basses under the Squire name?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Too bad they don't use 70s spacing on the Jazz or the Jaguar.

Also, I just realized how doctored those photos are, all three have the exact same bridge.

membranoid
Feb 25, 2001

fart huffer
semen chugger
So I have the opportunity to pick up a Kustom Groove 215h. Is it worth 300 bucks? I can't seem to find anything but ancient prices, and some blurbs about musician's friend doing a stupid deal of the day at 200 plus 70 shipping.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Bruce Boxliker posted:

I don't really get what the new Squire stuff is supposed to be. Did they just make their entry-level basses better or are they putting out actual decent basses under the Squire name?

Well they still have entry level stuff under the "Affinity Series" name. But ever since about 2008 (about the same time Fender quality shot back up) they started offering the Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe series. They are actually decent, giggable instruments without really needing any further modification. I've played a few that I'd put on par with some MIM Fenders. Or at least on par with some low-to-mid level Ibanez basses.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

DrChu posted:

Too bad they don't use 70s spacing on the Jazz or the Jaguar.

Also, I just realized how doctored those photos are, all three have the exact same bridge.

Nah look at the saddles

DrChu
May 14, 2002

baka kaba posted:

Nah look at the saddles
I was, the top two seem to have the same messed up intonation.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Scarf posted:

Well they still have entry level stuff under the "Affinity Series" name. But ever since about 2008 (about the same time Fender quality shot back up) they started offering the Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe series. They are actually decent, giggable instruments without really needing any further modification. I've played a few that I'd put on par with some MIM Fenders. Or at least on par with some low-to-mid level Ibanez basses.

Ah ok, thanks for explaining. I was confused why everyone's getting excited over Squires all of a sudden. I'll have to check some of these out.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
SQUIER

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

dancehall posted:

SQUIER

lol

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I dunno if this has been brought up yet, but Bootsy Collins started a online funk university about a month ago. Its mainly video lessons, from Bootsy, Brian Hardgrove, Divinity Roxx and others. Les Claypool and Victor Wooten will supposedly have some lessons on there soon. You can sign up for a year, 6 monthes, or one month. Theres not a ton of stuff on there yet, but a lot of insight from Bootsy and some other big names. It doesn't teach theory, mostly just funk and motown techniques. I really like it so far :)

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
http://www.thefunkuniversity.com/

Monthly Student Plan $34.99
Semester Student Plan $189.99
Year Student Plan $349.99

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Maaaan, you can't TEACH funk...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Scarf posted:

Maaaan, you can't TEACH funk...

Bootsy's a fully accredited funkcilitator. Now if you'll turn your attention to the funkboard...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

java
May 7, 2005

I've been playing a Dean Edge Pro for the past few years, and while it's been a great bass to learn on and the electronics are nice, I feel like it's time to move on. I've started going around to some local shops to check out basses. Tried out a a used Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass; the thing just played beautifully. I have not played any other Fender Jazz basses, anyone have any input as to how a MIM Jazz Bass might compare?